3.3 Release Notes *Updated (4/3/19)

Options

Comments

• tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just tested a game with Huatli 2 in RT. Playing four cards (Path of Discovery, March of the Multitudes x2 and one other), took a full 90 seconds. No loop involved, yet this would break after a couple of tokens were created. Seems ridiculous.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby fruit flies are way more attracted to the dead/rotting smell of vinegar than honey which has a natural preservative. Check out the vinegar and dish soap fruit fly home remedy.

Why do I mention this? Because our anger kept you up. Honied comments would not have done that. This whole idea sucks. The Devs need to engage us more. Us, the core, here. That’s the answer.
  • Furks
    Furks Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like all the new stuff but like most people I'm worried about the timer. Here's my 2 cents... 

If you want the game to be less 'loopy' you should stop designing cards that can loop. Just adding a mechanic on top that restricts things is frustrating. 

In a way I agree with the notion that the game should be faster paced with shorter turns. But the way you do that is by not giving us the tools to loop over and over. This means adjusting individual cards and adjusting their 'loopy' effect. In a lot of cases this can be done by adding an 'at the end of your turn' clause.

For instance, path of discovery could read: "at the end of your turn, explore X, where X is the number of creatures you sommoned this turn".

As for the upcoming change, I'm concerned about how animations/performance affects the actual timer. Can I break my opponent's combo just by changing the settings on my phone? Will a specific deck be allowed more actions based on how powerful the users phone is? Can I thwart my opponents in a pvp event using these outside effects on the game? A timer just seems like exactly the wrong approach, at a bare minimum it should be an 'action limit' so that it's consistent and not affected by anything else  
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby

You mentioned that its too late to stop the patch going live, but...

Are you seriously willing to tell us that its impossible to implement a day 1 hotfix which adds in a single digit to change the number in the timer from 18 to 180???

Would be a decent solution that hits loops, but ignores almost all normal turns. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I think a loops are a healthy part of this game. Please just let that sink in a bit. I have my reasons but some have prev pointed it out - mainly consistently and efficiently getting dailies done, high life bosses, creativity, etc. 

However, i do agree that something needs to be done about sitting through AI loops. Because clearly its that bad feeling from losing on legacy events or TotPs from a loop deck and not getting the full reward i imagine. TG doesnt hold as much weight since you can quit with no real detriment.

Player side loops are acceptable, i personally feel; but, AI loops should be limited a bit but not to the extent of an "easy button."

While it is true that cards should be limited in their ability to loop when creating new sets; i dont believe it should be severely crippled or completely erased. After all, there is definitely a group of players and future players striving for this goal of looping. Looping is as relished as it is a hated feature of this game. (Fyi: i left a different card game because it wasnt satisfying, it didnt have that fast, thrilling, loop capability because everything was so well balanced.. it was super mundane and meh. Still fun but missing that extra POW)

As an aside, if i hadnt known about loops i would be fine... but its like food. You eat anything; then, as you experience more and mature, you seek more refined/pretentious foods. As a simple example, what started off as simple hamburgers at fast food chains becomes specialty handcrafted burgers.. and its hard to go back.. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
    Options
    My 2 cents:

In Magic: the Gathering there are a number of different archetypes: aggro, control and combo (or a mix of those - see midrange/control combo/etc). These different styles appeal to different kinds of players. 
    I myself was an aggro/midrange player to the core.

When I discovered Mtg puzzle quest, I started out by playing aggro decks because that was my play style in paper. With low level (and thus low hp) pw's and story opponents, I was fairly successful beating down my opponents before they got me to 0. But the higher my pw lvl went, the harder it was to be successful with aggro decks. My opponents had way more hp, and with this life buffer, their more powerful cards took over in the longer games.
    So I slowly made the transition to control decks and found that with the right mix of cards I could win a long game vs almost every normal opponent. Just pack enough removal, card draw, mana gains and resilient threats and you got yourself a robust control deck.
    I was very successful as a control player but games started to take ages, especially versus other control decks with similar robust card contents. So I looked to combo's as a way to win matches more quickly.

It's incredibly important to note that it's way more difficult to assemble a combo deck here in mtgpq, compared to paper. You need a combination of very specific cards that work together for the combo and (especially pre-crafting) no targeted way to acquire them.

But as I made the discovery of combo's and actively searched for new ones, I found that I absolutely loved this style of play. And, to unlock some of the combo's I read about or encountered in games against me, combo cards became my targets, my chase cards. We're a year or two later now, and chasing specific standard or legacy combo enablers is what kept me playing this game. I reckon that for a lot of players it's what they enjoy and why they spend time and money on this game. It's also what allows me to play fast games instead of long grindy matches. Yes, the one critical turn takes a bit longer than average, but my overall match time is significantly lower. Which is a really important factor when considering the combination of this game with real life! 

This 18s rule is basically giving the finger to a whole demographic of players that like to play combo decks. It's forcing me to revert to a playstyle that I had outgrown. It's gonna cause matches to be more grindy again and take up much more time than before, causing me to play less events. It's gonna render a lot of the cards, that I spent a lot of effort on to get them (and time and money), useless or at least lose a chunk of functionality or value. It's taking away the second most important drive I had in this game (first one being the awesome people in my coalition/alliance).

It sucks.. 
    This. So very much this.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
    Options
    starfall said:
    Thuran said:
    Fortunately, the cycling combo ignores the timer altogether, since you never match a gem to go infinite.

So you can still manage dumb speed objectives in pve...in legacy
    Oktagon probably think they've nerfed cycling to the point where it's not degenerate  :D
    Goodness.. do i have to go back to that tedious work for fast games.. tell me it isnt so.. 

Its been soooooooo long and i never missed the hand and finger pains
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2019
    Options

Most of the updates look great. I love the guild animation. I hope that will be added to the current five guilds too. There are two concerns, however:

1) The timer issue seems like a turn in the wrong direction. Playing control decks is the core of this game for most players. I don't know how it will turn out once 3.3 hits the game, but I feel it may be the end for a lot of players. There are games where the AI keeps comboing for 40 minutes and still there's no end to the match. For those situations, I can imagine having a way to stop the loop would be great. But for players, it's just plain stupid. UNLESS, there's some kind of way to stop your own combo once THE PLAYER decides to stop the loop, usually when the board state is in such a way that the game can be won from there.

2) @Brigby: Is the card XP gain issue in the RT event fixed in 3.3? Right now, I'm not playing with any unmastered cards in RT as not to get screwed over even more. Which brings me to 3)

3) No news about the XP system??? That's the single most topic we've been complaining about.

• andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So, 18 seconds for your turn to progress??? that s a really bad way to fix one of the minor  "issues" of the game.

As stated above, I'd rather concede to a loop!

thare are so many combinations that are not infinite that will not play out in that time. and what about long-not infinite chains?

Bad decision!!!
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2019
    Options
     Better late than never, i can't help joining the party and my playmates.

This 25 second (... 18 seconds ...) fix is the most absurd and appaling thing ever ... 

I'm just trying to imagine how stressful the game can become if i have to rush through all the manipulations ... Just to be able to play my deck effectively.
      I also try to imagine the frustration i will endure if my turn is shut down just before casting a critical card ... And loose a game because of it ... 

Its even more ironical when the endless animation problems haven't been solved despite the terrible effect they already have on the game. Well ... Now they will not only be boring, they will just ruin our build perspectives.
      The Turns will remain slow ... But they will be so short that none will be able to complete them properly. 

Before, we occasionaly felt frustrated because of an endlessloop that prevented us from playing our deck once in a while ... Now we will be constantly frustrated because a stupid timer will prevent us from playing our deck on each and every turn ... By design!?

The lot of good things in this patch definitely look peanuts compared to the lethal blow you're about to inflict to this game.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    So, 18 seconds for your turn to progress??? that s a really bad way to fix one of the minor  "issues" of the game.

As stated above, I'd rather concede to a loop!
    The longer this discussion goes on, the more I become intrigued by people who think that they should be able to win games against decks that far outclass their own.
    Eh.  The same thing happened when people complained about the cycling nerf.

Nobody likes losing, especially when its losing to a 2 hour long loop (see Nexus of Fate ban in Arena for an example).  I get that.  Its not about being able to beat significantly better decks, its about the appearance of having a chance against significantly better decks.  If I get 1 turn and then have to put my phone down for an hour while I slowly lose, that is not fun.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. Quick heads up that I spoke with the team, and they mentioned that the first Match-5 in a player's turn will add an extra 10 seconds to the timer. Each additional Match-5 following this will yield diminishing returns on the amount of seconds added.
    @Brigby
    If you want to convince us... have the devs or you make a couple of short videos showing known but legal loops in action with this timer and post here in the forum a link to them. As it is now, existing resolvement in seconds for various cards. Many take a certain amount of time to do so because of animations; of which the devs have added more with this new set. 

If I swap 5 and cast days undoing.  I have essentially burned that extra time up before it resolves... so in essence the extra time is pointless as far regular combos or straight up casting.  

What should have occurred is a combo counter.  When a combo loop of cards repeats 3 times in succession,  a counter begins and if it triggers 3 more times in succession without any other combos occurring then the turn ends. This counter resets if a different combo breaks the counter.
    Combos playing off other combos that many may consider looping cannot be affected and allows for MTGPQ to maintain creativity in building powerful combo effects.  But this counter would be useful in shutting down combos like the old neha loop using two cards over and over to trigger ID; but if ID was not on the field the loop doesn't break.  A loop counter looking for repeated cards playing over and over and over would be far more useful and productive in catching endless loops rather than supress the rest of the games design for legitimate combos.