3.3 Release Notes *Updated (4/3/19)

Options

Comments

• Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Stormcrow said:

There's never been an infinite loop deck that relied on making extra matches AFAIK.
    There are more than a handful of ways to make this happen in both Standard and Legacy. They involve the obvious culprits like Stitch in Time and Karn's Temporal Sundering. Chance for Glory is another card that allows it, though that is of course much riskier. Older cards, like Gonti's Aether Heart, also make this possible.
  • nerdstrap
    nerdstrap Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. Thanks for providing all of this in-depth perspective and feedback of the loop system. I'll be sure to pass that along to the team for review.

While I can't guarantee that any changes can be made prior to the 3.3 update going live, as I believe the build has already been submitted to 1st party vendors, I will definitely talk to them about revisiting the system and seeing where things can be adjusted.
    I would advise them to postpone the release
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. Thanks for providing all of this in-depth perspective and feedback of the loop system. I'll be sure to pass that along to the team for review.

While I can't guarantee that any changes can be made prior to the 3.3 update going live, as I believe the build has already been submitted to 1st party vendors, I will definitely talk to them about revisiting the system and seeing where things can be adjusted.

This right here is why things like this should be brought up before the patch is submitted and it's too late to make any kind of changes. This was a solution to a relatively minor problem in the overall scheme of the game and it was extremely poorly thought out. There are far superior methods of fixing this, again - minor, problem that don't outright tank an entire playstyle.
  • nerdstrap
    Options

I am extremely disappointed in this company for making such a far sweeping, value-changing, and overall impactful change without having a community discussion first, much like you did when implementing Legends with Dominaria. You told us your primary ideas and what we thought about them. (Ultimately you went with what I advocated. You might want to try that again here.)
    This is why I see the death of the game as we know it. There have been too many bad decisions in the recent development of the game. The timer in and of itself isn't the killer (well maybe it is) but the pile of bad decisions is too much to overcome...
  • BATMAN1
    BATMAN1 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It feels like we’re almost there. 

#NotAnothetDime, coming soon. 
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    Brigby said:

This right here is why things like this should be brought up before the patch is submitted and it's too late to make any kind of changes. This was a solution to a relatively minor problem in the overall scheme of the game and it was extremely poorly thought out. There are far superior methods of fixing this, again - minor, problem that don't outright tank an entire playstyle.
    One thing I forgot to mention in my own earlier post is mentioned here by Brakkis. The overall impact of this problem, however annoying it is, is minimal at the absolute worst. Personally I can't even remember the last time I've been caught by Greg in a loop of any sort. That illustrates that they either don't occur with any serious degree of frequency, or that when they do occur, I can simply hit the "quit" button to end them, or most likely both of these things. This decision makes it look like you guys heard a vocal minority complaining about something and decided to implement a nuclear option to address it. Terrible decision, and I really, really, really hope it is reversed.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I need to be able to do more than Like the post by Wafflesauce.

• nerdstrap
    Options
    @Brigby I think we all need a developer/designer response to our concerns BEFORE 3.3 drops or I legit see a mass exodus
  • Wafflesauce
    Wafflesauce Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    madwren said:
    I need to be able to do more than Like the post by Wafflesauce. 
    As a consolation, hearing this from you means a lot. Mad respect, or whatever the kids say these days :P
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just a quick addition. Loops were so rare to encounter that they weren't nearly a big enough issue that this "solution" should have even been part of Oktagons efforts.

When they did happen thing thing players wanted most was a way to stop them, manually.

Not to save ourselves. If the loop starts and we know for certain that we're going to lose but the loop just won't stop itself (Zendikar Resurgent + Locust God), we can forfeit. Just open the menu and quit. You know you've lost.

Rather, when we know we've won and we can swing for lethal but the loop is going to go for another 10+ minutes because you either didn't put in a stop card or because you're just not drawing it, we wanted a way to just say "Okay, stop. Now swing".
  • MtgPQPro
    MtgPQPro Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @Brigby, I think the issue is after whatever time is set the actions we have started end suddenly and our combos we're not effective.  Would here be an option to stop ALL animations after a set period of time.  Then allow all actions to continue unseen.  It would still ask us to make decisions during the entire process.

The issue is the animations take forever and on turns that take more than 25 seconds we see the same animations over and over and over again then loose to some crazy combo. 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don’t hate this timer out of the gate. I’d like to see how it plays out before judging it. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    Brigby said:

Loop Prevention System
    Card combos can be a fun and exciting way to win matches, but when it comes to infinite loops, it can be downright frustrating to endure. With the Loop Prevention system, there will now be an invisible 25 second timer that starts counting down after a player makes a gem match; the timer becomes visible during the last 5 seconds.
    (If a player makes a Match-5, the timer will pause to account for additional actions the player can still make. Bringing up the Pause menu will also pause the timer.)

Once the timer reaches 0, the infinite loop is stopped and only one additional queued action will run following that. Once that's done, the player then progresses to the next Phase of the turn.

Not even the slightest bit surprised that this was implemented so poorly. I think this might be the bad game decision that finally seals the deal for me.
    I feel the same. We only needed an AI side timer/limiter. Ive said this so many times; why does no one seem to listen? And this led me to distance myself from the forums.. so many good ideas are just wasted

P.s. Started playing a different game in between load times; mind you, a computer browser flash based game... Spent 150 dollars on that dying game cause it provided more value.