kitty and grocket and the changing of the pvp meta

Comments

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    RPIJG said:
    Just because there isn't a 4* solution to a 5* problem doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed/fixed.
    Jean Grey can remove enemy tiles. Ant-Man can remove enemy tiles. Dazzler can remove enemy tiles. Spider-Ham removes enemy tiles. Prowler can steal enemy tiles. Elektra can steal enemy tiles. Kraven reduces enemy tile strength...

Rhulk/Grocket/Carol will destroy Grockitty
    Okoye/Drax/XFDP will destroy Grockitty
    So I tried Ant-Man, thinking that would be a nice counter to steal.  Problem is Kitty drops her pink and steals your countdown!

That's where I think she is a bit OP.  That pink passive is a real PITA.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    One important thing to note, Grocket is boosted this week, this makes a pretty big difference and its one of the reasons why Grockitty is frequently seen. 

Kitty is absolutely not the problem in that pairing. She is fine with other special tiles generators because she doesnt ball out of control on turn 2, you need a few turns before there are enough specials for her to boost. Also, 2 of her abilities make special tiles, you'd have to overhaul her whole kit if you changed her tile boosting.

Grocket is the problem, always been ridiculous he plops down 7 strike tiles on turn 1. Just make him spawn 3 or 4 strikes, reduce the cost of his blue or give it fortification, call it a day.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    One important thing to note, Grocket is boosted this week, this makes a pretty big difference and its one of the reasons why Grockitty is frequently seen. 

Kitty is absolutely not the problem in that pairing. She is fine with other special tiles generators because she doesnt ball out of control on turn 2, you need a few turns before there are enough specials for her to boost.

Grocket is the problem, always been ridiculous he plops down 7 strike tiles on turn 1. Just make him spawn 3 or 4 strikes, reduce the cost of his blue or give it fortification, call it a day.
    And
     in addition, Daken makes things a lot worse. It's hard to stop Kitty's boost when Daken keeps pumping out strike tiles.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I'm hesitant to call for a nerf to Grocket, mainly because they have wasted some time on counters for them. Kraven, Prowler, 5* Doom, Bishop. Like the Gambit "counters" (AA and IWCap) they aren't super effective, so if Grocket still gets nerfed those characters end up even worse.
    Much like when Gambit was the terror, I have completely avoided fighting Gritty. Is she like Gambit where mirror matches are the best counter? How is her passive tile erasing when its on both sides?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I tried Ant-Man, thinking that would be a nice counter to steal.  Problem is Kitty drops her pink and steals your countdown!

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Don't forget if Rocket gets nerfed then Gritty will quickly change to Caritty  (Carnage+Kitty) since on turn 2 she'll be boosting his tiles with the even worse effect that he spawns infinite tiles for her to boost.

The only reason Gritty is more popular is that it starts on turn 1 instead of turn 2 and the fact there is no self damage from the enemy tiles Carnage creates. But don't think for a minute people won't switch to Caritty if Rocket goes away.

If you want to fix something, fix Kitty's passive. In another thread I said it should just change so that it boosts 5* character created tiles by the stated amount and any other tier tiles by a lesser amount (say 1/4 or 1/5). Voila, Gritty, Caritty etc goes away but she remains viable in 5* land as new 5* characters get released who can pair with her.

KGB
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    abmoraz said:
    Anyone joining now isn't going to be in 5* land for a LONG time (or a LOT of money), so the Gritty meta doesn't really affect them...
    5* attainability is still a huge problem.  I joined over two years ago and just recently crossed over into 5* land however only in the last month did I get my very first BSSM cover...and that only after I got a champ reward for 4* widow.  As far as I'm concerned he only exists in theory.  There desperately needs to be a way to more consistently cover older 5s.  And sometimes newer ones too-- I had a dry spell the last couple months and my Kitty is only at 3-3-2, so unfortunately she's also pretty much unattainable for me.
  • dingo
    dingo Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Why not just lock out 5* characters from SCL 7 and below in pvp....? Seems like a reasonable solution to me.....
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    The trick is to clear the strikes before they boost out of control. It's not a 100% solution, but Main Event can help you knock a few out in the first turn.

a baby champ Dazzler/4ocket can do it once, then you need to use a health pack. That assumes Dazzler can tank anything in the first turn, which for me is often just black.

This actually reminds me of the Thing/Spider-Gwen/0/0/5 Gambit team that was unbeatable if you couldn't stun gambit in turn 1. It's not quite as bad as that one was, but it's pretty dominant and affects a wider pool of pvp players i think.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

Gritty is very risky on both sides.  If Rocket's strikes are destroyed quickly enough, it's almost useless - Kitty's red is useful about a third of the time and is fairly easy to avoid the consequences.  Her yellow is annoying, particularly if she gets out enough protects so she buffs them, but all it does is stretch out the combat.  Her purple is great if the opponent relies on specials, does nothing if they don't make any at all.

Playing Thorkoye, I can take out most of Rocket's strikes by the third turn, usually.  The second and third turn kind of sucks for me, and it is likely Okoye is going to take some damage, but that's what she's there for.  If I can't take them below the threshold at all, then that's going to be a real bad time, but usually I can.  The 3* does affect that - since Daken is the most recent one that definitely shifted things.  R&G being boosted also adds to the teams efficiency.

What I'm saying is I don't think they're broken, I just think they're good.  They're risky to play, and they're risky to fight in a way Thorkoye isn't, but I don't think the team needs a nerfing.

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just make this thread every week. After a year they'll buff her and call it a nerf
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    sinnerjfl said:
    Yes, can't believe it took this long to note that Rocket has been boosted for the last week. This has a lot to do with the recent frequency of Gritty sightings.

However, the whole issue comes back to Rocket's turn 1 strike tiles. BSSM is a good counter, but, the game needs more quality counters to Rocket and the SAP meta.
  • cschwinge
    cschwinge Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    As a 4* player, Grocket is the one out of control, and I find that low-medium cover Kitties don't add up to more of a threat than Gamora. Kitties with lots of covers aren't a fair comparison due to level differences.

Although I think the main problem is attacking a boosted Grocket. Unboosted anything is usually not a good answer to a boosted threat. And when there are only a couple of solutions, it's rare that they are boosted when the threat is.

Rogue has been the best 4* solution, as her passive works on turn 1
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm getting bored now of seeing that team. I cant wait until Kitty leaves Latests so it will reduce how many more people get her covered. If you dont have Kitty champed, theres simply no point taking her on with Grocket. I'm sick of how much I have to skip these days. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh and Grocket needing a nerf is also laughable to me. He does one thing really really well.  Places strong strikes. Which allows others like Nico, Guardians, Medusa, Kitty, etc. to really shine.  His other two powers are pretty weak compared to others in his tier and once matched away, he’s a sitting duck who brings little else to the fight. Grocket is absolutely fine as is.  No combo of his is unbeatable and he just makes the game FASTER. I think people don’t know what they want sometimes. Hate the grind, but want to slow the game down by taking away a character who helps many people (transitioners especially) speed up their clears.  
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm getting some serious deja vu here. I was in the process of transitioning to the 4* during the period when Grockamora came out and became ubiquitous. Now I'm transitioning to 5* while Grockitty is all over the place. And the threads complaining about it are almost identical. There are solutions to Grockamora that didn't require any nerfs, it just took a while for them to become standard. I'm sure the same is true of Grockitty. Even once that happened, Grockamora are still hard to deal with when a 4* transitioner is trying to "punch up", but once they get solidly established in 4* land, the team can be dealt with. It's just a thing you have to be ready for at that level, like Strange, Thanos, and IM40 in 3* play.
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Nope she’s a fair character. Gambit was not...no nerf needed