kitty and grocket and the changing of the pvp meta

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
if you haven't noticed by now, the new 5* defensive team in pvp is now primarily kp and rocket. in my opinion, this set up is not much different from the days when gambit was the top dog. and i think it's not a good look for the future of pvp. in fact this may be an even more (unintentionally) ill designed mechanic than gambit's auto ap generation. whereas you could, most of the time, take down another gambit, with your own, if you played the turns right. there is pretty much no strategy to effectively dealing with kp/grocket aside from hopefully getting a lucky placement of strike tiles where you can match them away within a couple turns. cause if you don't you are going to get mashed within a couple of turns. it's almost as bad as the first run of galactus. 

now i know everyone (including myself) hates nerf/changes, but unfortunately (cause i like kitty, but...) i think this is something that is going have to be looked at because i don't think this is quite what was intended when they came up with her boosting special tiles ability.

Comments

• jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Bowgentle said:
    Bring BSSM.
    no can do homie. my bssm is 2/5/1. he dropped before i figured out how to cover latest 5* before they fall in the abyss...
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    The presence of Kitty and Grocket is bringing out a lot of BSSM and I'm seeing him all over PvP, usually paired with Thanos. I like it. I'm sick of seeing nothing but Thor/Okoye.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    jredd said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Bring BSSM.
    no can do homie. my bssm is 2/5/1. he dropped before i figured out how to cover latest 5* before they fall in the abyss...
    So a counter exists but you don't have it - so something has to be done?
    Makes sense.
    Well, yes.  How does it help a new player in 5* land if the counter is something unattainable?  Kitty was attainable to many as she was just in LL.  But BSSM is basically not even a choice for many players.

As much as I love this game (and it really is the most fun mobile game out there), I feel for anyone just joining now.  
    Anyone joining now isn't going to be in 5* land for a LONG time (or a LOT of money), so the Gritty meta doesn't really affect them...
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    jredd said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Bring BSSM.
    So a counter exists but you don't have it - so something has to be done?
    Makes sense.
    BSSM isn't the only counter... just the biggest.  There are other counters as well for those that have deep rosters. 

Also, everyone ignores AP boosts.  Some strategic use of boosts can bring out expensive powers faster than Gritty can whittle you down.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Like everything else bring your own. My Simulator Team is Kitty, Grocket, and Medusa. It gets the job done. For PVP I'm in 4* land so I don't see the Kitty & Grocket teams and I don't use them either since I use the 4*'s that are boosted for that week. Meta's are always going to exist no matter what happens, so you just have to find the counter or create your own Meta. 
  • Dormammu
    How does it help a new player in 5* land if the counter is something unattainable?
    Isn't there a vault with BSSM in it right now? While no 5-star is easy to get, 'unattainable' isn't the word I'd choose.
  • RPIJG
    RPIJG Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    BSSM, DD, thorkoye on offense, there are plenty of counters.  Just because there isn't a 4* solution to a 5* problem doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed/fixed.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Thorkoye usually works against Gritty teams. You just need to make sure Okoye stays healthy and tanks a lot of hits. It's not a given, but it usually does the trick.

Against weaker teams Panthos works pretty well too. Make a match with Black Panther and match damage will be enough to trigger his passive. Presto!

X-force Deadpool is boosted the coming week, he is pretty effective paired with Okoye too.

• RPIJG
    Quebbster said:

Thorkoye usually works against Gritty teams. You just need to make sure Okoye stays healthy and tanks a lot of hits. It's not a given, but it usually does the trick.

Against weaker teams Panthos works pretty well too. Make a match with Black Panther and match damage will be enough to trigger his passive. Presto!

X-force Deadpool is boosted the coming week, he is pretty effective paired with Okoye too.

I forgot about xfdp/okoye too.  Definitely a good counter.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    How does it help a new player in 5* land if the counter is something unattainable?
    Isn't there a vault with BSSM in it right now? While no 5-star is easy to get, 'unattainable' isn't the word I'd choose.
    Many spent their hoard on Kitty and don't have one to immediately turn around and spend on this one to get BSSM covered. The timing was a surprise and hardly convenient.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    RPIJG said:
    BSSM, DD, thorkoye on offense, there are plenty of counters.  Just because there isn't a 4* solution to a 5* problem doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed/fixed.
    Bishop. Use him with Peggy and Xpool.
    That's a bit hard in regular PVP where you can only pick 2.
  • RPIJG
    Dormammu said:
    RPIJG said:
    Just because there isn't a 4* solution to a 5* problem doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed/fixed.
    Jean Grey can remove enemy tiles. Ant-Man can remove enemy tiles. Dazzler can remove enemy tiles. Spider-Ham removes enemy tiles. Prowler can steal enemy tiles. Elektra can steal enemy tiles. Kraven reduces enemy tile strength...

Rhulk/Grocket/Carol will destroy Grockitty
    Okoye/Drax/XFDP will destroy Grockitty
    In my experience, Rhulk/Grocket/Carol is not a forgone conclusion, the damage boosts fast enough that Rhulk is KO'd early enough to make this much less reliable than it was against previous meta.

Definitely agree that the Okoye/drax/xfdp is a good combo, as well as inserting and effectively using any of the other 4's into a decent trio.  

I feel there are sufficient counter-measures to this team and that most of the initial recoil is because it is:
    A) new
    B) currently prevalent
    C) forced people to change their tactics
  • Dormammu
    Bowgentle said:
    That's a bit hard in regular PVP where you can only pick 2.
    @Bowgentle is right - it makes it a bit more of a challenge finding counters when you're restricted to two. SIM counters, when you can take three, are generally easy to create. Good duos are far more rare, which is why Grockitty is so useful and prevalent in the first place.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Lol.... 

• Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Just seems a bit sad that there are hundreds of characters in the game, but pretty much all of the teams I face are Gritty. 

People say that certain 4* characters are good counters, I can't see how, after 3 moves max (or less with a cascade) any of my 4*s are pretty much dead.