Sinister 600 Poll: How do you like this event?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Love it!!
    Reasons why I voted "Love it":
    - I could do a full grind a be done.  Less daily time investment than normal.  This game requires too much time per day as it is, so anything to cut back on that is very welcome.
    - The new enemy team compositions helped a lot in breaking the normal monotony of the usual PVE events we get.
    - Honestly, acknowledging the original Dark Avengers story-line was fun.  The "wait, you still think this is a thing?" meta was a self troll if you think about it.

Reward and confusion issues (that they didn't even say who was required in the event announcement = SAD!) that everyone else has said on here are definitely valid negative.
    Another negative is the weird time start/end of the subs and event as a whole.  No time slices was an odd choice.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hate it!!
    I was pretty bitter that the increased difficulty of Deadly meant that I had to punch down for the event. The teams that they put together for you to fight were just pure distilled evil. But at the end of the day that's fine, it appears it was meant for mostly 5-star rosters and I can accept that. I had the support of my alliance to hit the difficulty that I couldn't, so I didn't necessarily have to worry about missing out on the rewards there. Also, as a lot of people mentioned, having 24 hours to clear and no need to grind are ALWAYS gonna be a plus for me. My social life has become a lot more active in recent months due to the holidays and traveling, so having to push through the PVE/PVP necessities of the game for my alliance has felt more like a chore than ever. It was one of my favorite aspects of Places of Power as well. 

What really got under my skin, much like last time, is that it isn't very intuitive at all to figure out the best way to coordinate things for your alliance. Not everyone who plays this game uses apps like Discord, Line, or GroupMe, and the in-game chat isn't really the best for getting out time-sensitive information to your peeps. The difficulty concept of this event adds a layer of complexity that is wholly unncessary, considering the reward structure. Requiring a certain amount of alliance members to commit to a difficulty level in order to earn max rewards FOR THAT DIFFICULTY LEVEL is just downright silly, when you can offer ONE reward tree for the entire alliance that so that rosters who have to be limited to Easy/Medium can still be valuable contributors. That was a priceless opportunity to make a huge improvement over typical alliance events, when lower-level rosters are essentially locked out as you advance because the side nodes scale to ridiculous levels, and the boss itself easily one-shots even boosted 4-stars. To top it all off, no in-game or forum information is given to help you determine the best course of action for your 20 people, when it was made rather clear that people weren't a fan of that in the last event that was structured this way. I understand that it's not their job to hold our hands, but the way this was done certainly comes off as them throwing us to the wolves and leaving us to fend for ourselves. I feel bad for the 4-star rosters who jumped into "Deadly" expecting it be at least comparable to last time, only to get a rude awakening for less impressive rewards.  

• bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Other (explain below)
    Good: New story/dialogue, fun use of alt costumes, no timer-watching needed in order to maximize points, Spider-Ham

Bad: Rewards not commensurate with effort, still not enough information for proper Alliance planning, virtually no wiggle room for personal prog

First, I really enjoy not having to do my clears at a specific time of day or at specific refresh intervals. That is probably the thing that I liked the most about this event.

Regarding the difficulty, I am a veteran 5* player with 8 covers on 5Ock and I was able to fully clear Deadly without much issue. However, it was obvious that this was more challenging than a normal PVE or even other boss events, to the point where it did seem like better rewards should have been available.

I can see how players with less-developed rosters would have gotten very frustrated with the tricky teams that you had to fight against. I am fine with Deadly being very difficult, I just think that this event raised the bar for "Deadly" that MPQ has established in the past. This problem was exacerbated by the fact that even a few missed clears could jeopardize personal progression.

Lastly, the devs need to remember that MPQ fans are largely numbers geeks, and we always crave more data in order to maximize our chances of the best personal and alliance rewards. The point structure is obviously in place before the event starts, so we just need to have more details available sooner. Flying blind only leads to frustration.
  • jym010
    jym010 Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hate it!!
    Hate it.  Made the mistake of going into deadly the 1st time around with no 5 star champs.  Could not finish and hence was not able to even get the domino cover even though I cleared everything else in hard for the next 3 days.  Felt I grinded a bit and got a bunch of **** rewards.  It is also didn't help that my alliance only got 1 nebula cover which bummed me out even more.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hate it!!
    Loosie said:
    Too many people needed to clear one node, So we got only 2 or 3 rewards for any one node. I don't have Doc Oc so dropped down to medium after day 1 in order to get full individual progression. Difficulty doesn't bother me as it should be challenging at the higher levels.
    I have no problem with difficulty, either. They really need to let everyone know, however, that Hard and Deadly is going to require 5-star characters, instead of the hybrid we experience in SCL, as several of my alliance joined deadly on Day 1, some without the required character, and the margin was then too thin to get personal progression max rewards. Again, more communication to all players, not just those of us on the forums.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hate it!!
    At least boss rush gave some rare Peggy covers.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hate it!!
    Hate's a strong word, but the reward structure and lack of transparency were bad. Love that they tried a new event, but this one felt like a punishment. I usually love Alliance events.
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 379 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It was a total grindfest.  It seemed like 2xhrs of playing each day, when an "open" would take ~40min, and a close would take ~40min.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 441 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Love it!!
    Like the challenge of Deadly difficulty. Liked the story. Disliked the pitiful amount of rewards for the amount of effort and time required. 

Even for someone who enjoys grinding this felt painful and a lack of sense of achievement. Plus since the 5* this time felt so lacklustre it was the first time I did not spend HP to empty the vault.
  • ProtoformX
    ProtoformX Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hate it!!
    Hated it.  Rewards to effort ratio is out of whack.  Effort and difficulty of herding alliance members to get anything was exacerbated by no communication from D3 or Demi.  This and PoP are in desperate need of major tweaking, otherwise these are just hard passes next times around.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hate it!!
    I feel a little bad voting "Hate it!!", as I did enjoy the new artwork, dialog, fight descriptions, general structure, etc. However, for an alliance that almost always completes round seven in a standard boss event (thus earning three four star covers), my alliance earned not even a single four-star cover - even though we had the same distribution (three to four champion players who max out sub points, five-six Halfway Heroes (I'm usually in this group) that play each node 2x-3x, and the Coat Tails making up the rest of the group (1x each node, if that). The rewards seemed underwhelming and the nodes much more difficult and punishing than usual. I feel like we played more for less, which is never a good feeling. 
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Other (explain below)
    Crosspost from reddit - I was just so eloquent there the first time :)

My alliance doesn’t have 14 rosters capable of getting through Orange with the 5e node, so no daily 4* for us, which sucks.

But.. This is a fresh event with new art and new story integrated. There isn’t much HP around directly in the rewards, but I am getting numerous champ levels for 2* farm which is giving me HP and 3* fed covers. It’s a non-timed event which I can manage over multiple sittings in a day. These are new teams which are fun to play if you go in at the right level

And.. I was annoyed about missing the points for the orange 5e day one. But by dropping down to yellow for day 2-4, I will still have enough points for full personal progression (although this does require Domino 4e). Big relief!

So, this is the foundation of something good. I would like to have some path to 4* covers for dedicated 3* rosters in an alliance, and maybe drop the 5e from orange. Let’s see if/how it changes next time around..

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,180 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other (explain below)
    I was unable to clear the 4* and 5* nodes on day 1 in deadly, and I also missed the closing node at the top level that day, so I missed full personal progression by 600pts in the end... super fail
  • DenDevil
    DenDevil Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hate it!!
    I thought this event was awful.  As my alliance is not in the top 500, we essentially had no hopes of reaching any meaningful alliance reward.  Just a waste of time from that standpoint.  Some credit for trying to vary the events,  but horrible execution overall.  There must be a way to challenge the elite players without alienating the lower alliances and players.