New Feature: Costumes! *Updated (11/26/18)

Options

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    Kailen said:
    So, by "Costumes are rare and special - most Costumes will only be available for a limited period of time or only to players who reach particular achievements in the game." you meant "people who spend money".  That's quite the particular achievement there.
    If we take supports as a guide, "reach particular achievements in the game" could mean "place first in a 5000 player versus season bracket".
    OOOOO. That’s a good one.  I hope they do that.  It would be a great idea so a total of 13 people if that can get it.  Maybe a step futher.  SL9 would be a 4*, SL8 a 3*, SL7 a 2* and SL 6-1 a 1*.  
  • Andrew_Vader
    Andrew_Vader Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Why do I get the impression that everyone is bashing on the alternative-costume-teams in PvP right now? Firstly, to see the costumes in action whithout having to buy them themselves, secondly to punish the show-offs...
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Some people like to show off, and most people don't like that.  Besides that, many people play with animations turned off, so there's not a big difference anyway. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've been away a little while so I'm pretty late to the party here, but wow. Just wow. Someone already touched on this on the first page, but we've proven as a fanbase that function > form. A cosmetic change here and there is usually pretty welcome, but by and large we strongly prefer something that makes the game feel different over something that makes the game look different. Thing is, they've shown that they can do both simultaneously. The dynamic AP bar, and the Alliance Raid Event I feel are recent examples of this. I feel like with supports, they dropped the ball big time on an opportunity to make the game look different. Is it really that hard show us that we have a support equipped on a character by some kind of giveaway on the character/roster selection screen or the supports tab? 

This, I feel was them dropping the ball on a majority opportunity to make the game feel different. I've you've put me through the work/financial cost of acquiring this costume, something about the character's abilities should feel different as well. Maybe "Tender But Tough" Cage could drop a strong strike tile at the beginning of the match. Maybe "No Normal" KK's abilities cost 1 AP less. SOMETHING. As it stands these outfits mean nothing other than the fact you had some disposable income to blow on a re-skin. I suppose you could argue that giving them enhanced effects would be stepping on the toes of supports, but it should have some sort of strategic value rather just being a makeover. 
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:

Q & A:

What do Costumes do?
    • Costumes change how a character looks, including their animations in battle.
    • Once equipped, the Costume is shown wherever the character is displayed, including to other players in Versus.
    • Costumes don’t change stats or powers.
    As a competitive player, I have turned off animations.  

Does my, less competitive, opponent see the different animations, or are they restricted only to the new costume purchaser? 

• whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2018
    Options
    broll said:
    So looks like the KK deal is already down. So overpriced and only up for less than 24 hours?  Really?
    If you look to the left of that 14.99 purchase price you will see 2100 Hero points come along with those 3 kamala covers and the costume.  Considering that it cost 4.99 for 600 Hero Points, I don't think it is that overpriced for someone who needs 2000 hero points.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm glad the costumes have no effect on game play or abilities, because if they did, I would feel a need to chase after them, despite their ridiculous price.  But I can ignore them if I wish.  Obviously, they were meant to be fun, but apparently that "fun" is limited to spenders.  I got "lucky" and got Powerman's jorts with the free vault token, but what I really wanted was his black cover, so I pulled 10x and got it (being lucky again).  That's a good example of function being more important than form.  His costume is not what I wanted in his vault. 

I'm looking at Kamala's deal the same way; do I want to spend $15 for 2100 HP and 3 x 3* covers?  Nah, I'll wait for something better.  I'm assuming we'll get some good HP deals and vaults around Christmas. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was a little nervous after leaving the game (OK, I admit I still play the DDQ sometimes) that some new feature would be introduced that would sucker me back in, but I'm pleased to say that "cosmetic junk that doesn't actually affect gameplay at all" is not that feature.
  • MrBowers
    MrBowers Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Not really bothered too much about costumes although I would like to see quicksilver and scarlet witch get their classic costumes back at some point
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I bought the Cage vault since it only cost HP (which I have over 40K of) and it gave you a 4* cover plus multiple 3* covers and a bunch of tokens. It's no different that a hero for hire offer except you get the free costume change thrown in.

Now KK's deal is something else entirely. I wouldn't pay $15 just for a costume change. I'd pay 99 cents at most.

KGB
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To be fair, I think this change is great for the REAL comic book savants out there who look at certain characters and go, "man i wish they had that one outfit from issue # ___!", but I don't think they should have to pay for it. 
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I pulled the Luke cage costume and the 4* cage cover (which is what I really wanted) from the daily 10 pk deal.  I equipped the costume and forgot about it until I saw this forum subject.  So yeah, just like supports for me. 
  • MrKasady
    MrKasady Posts: 74 Match Maker
    edited November 2018
    Options
    This was not a good use of the team's time or resources.  :|
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 977 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The costume was an extra for me. I bought out the vault because imo 3750 hp for 40 items was a good deal, but i would have bought it too without the costume. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Was just talking to somebody this morning about these costumes.  While I think the costumes/skins are a cool idea and could bring something cool into the game, I think the roll out is not great and on top of that with the other simple outstanding issues that could be resolved in a week to make players happier than we are now.

If the 5* feeders would be done, update the 3* feeders and split up the ones that feed the same 4*.

Update the support token store (really how hard is this since it is done with other tokens every season).

If if they would make these, call it $.99 like an I Tunes song, and go with some into the classic comics costumes it would be a hit.  Most of these are MCUed and not classic comic books look.  Like SW, Quick Silver etc.  if you would make them in VIP, direct buy, rewards etc this would be better but again with other easily fixed features that are not done or updated yet this seems like another one pushed down our throats.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,648 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AlexR said:
    broll said:
    So looks like the KK deal is already down. So overpriced and only up for less than 24 hours?  Really?
    If you look to the left of that 14.99 purchase price you will see 2100 Hero points come along with those 3 kamala covers and the costume.  Considering that it cost 4.99 for 600 Hero Points, I don't think it is that overpriced for someone who needs 2000 hero points.
    And that's sorta the problem. Thing is, this is the only way to get the Kamala costume. If you don't actually need or care about those 2k HP, then that leaves you looking at a 15 bucks price tag for the Kamala costume and a couple covers.
    This is the issue for me.

No doubt the cost is reasonable for the HP element based upon usual pricing. If you don't really need the HP and the covers are something you are going to obtain through general play, then the offer is dead in the water.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dogface said:
    The costume was an extra for me. I bought out the vault because imo 3750 hp for 40 items was a good deal, but i would have bought it too without the costume. 
    I prefer to take the 40 item vaults one tenpack at a time personally. One tenpack is 950 HP, so clearing out the vault that way costs 3800 HP, and if I get Everything I want I can stop spending earlier. This time the second tenpack gave me both the costume and the C4ge cover so I stopped after that, I really only wanted the C4ge cover anyway. The costume was a bonus.