New Feature: Costumes! *Updated (11/26/18)

Options

Comments

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Options
    bbigler said:

Second, I’m sorry but I really do not understand this. MPQ is not a charity. It is a business. Everything they do is ultimately to make money. Even stuff like cover save which is seemingly “for the people” is there for their bottom line. They have never come out and said “we are implementing X in hopes of increasing revenue” for any other feature that has been implemented so I’m not angry that this is no different. I still believe this is a very big “ignore if not for you” feature.  People need to understand that making money is a good thing for the company.

This is actually something I've complained about for years, but not just about this game.  The unfortunate truth is that all businesses make decisions based on making a profit, which usually results in doing something that's bad for the customer.  Higher prices, lower quality, deceptive marketing, etc.  They get very creative at finding more ways to extract money from people.  I have an altruistic view of businesses.  I believe they should exist for the benefit of a community, providing a good or service that people need or want.  I believe it should be a symbiotic relationship, not a parasitic one.  Now I realize that the people working at those businesses want to make more money to increase their standard of living, but this turns into an unspoken battle: how far can the business push the gap between price and quality until the customer no longer thinks it's worth it.  I see this happening everywhere. I don't want to fight with a company to get a good & fair product or service out of them.  Again, I realize how the world works, but I want to promote a better way to do business.  I want the future to be better than it is now. 
    I was literally about to write something similar. This game is of course a business but it feels like its all take, take, take with this game. Its the main reason why I limit what I spend because I dont think they are fair to us. There has to be at least a little give to make the customer feel appreciated. Without the customer, you have no game. If you aren't careful the customer starts spending their money elsewhere.  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was looking at the Random MPQ Thoughts thread and wanted to say:  funny costumes may make me more interested than anything else.  This game sometimes embraces humor to good effect, and that would be a welcome way to incorporate some.

Frankencastle please! 
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Lukeslad said:

- I think we're gonna miss some great skins because how prude the D3 seems to be. For example, I'd love to have the "casual" version of X23 instead of that weird Wolverine-ish one, but it seems it's not gonna happen since D3 is, for some reason, mortally terrified of showing bare midriffs (see MPQ version of Emma Frost).
    I dont know, seems to me, both Ares and Daken have lovely midriffs.... ;)
    ...and who could forget Yelena Belova?
    Not to mention the scantily clad Iron 4ist
    Whoa!
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    While I like the idea of being able to change costumes, making these limited-time and behind a paywall only further pushes the unhealthy "collecting" part of MPQ and has no bearing on the actual gameplay. If development resources are going to be directed somewhere, I really would like it to be the gameplay side of things. For example:

-New game modes and events.
    -New goons with new abilities, creating new gameplay mechanics.
    -Refresh and rework the characters that are in the bottoms of their tiers, like 4* FalCap, to name one of many in desperate need of it.
    -Update the champion rewards system. We need more feeders, and I'm sick and tired of selling 3* covers now that most of my 3* tier is max-champed. I can only roster so many duplicates before it becomes a complete chore and burden on resources.
    While I'd like to see game play improvements, it is worth remembering that not everyone at the studio is interchangeable.  The artist (or artists) drawing these costumes aren't necessarily going to have the skill set to work on the things you've mentioned here.
    While there likely would have been some programming and design work to add the costume infrastructure, but as an ongoing feature it's just art.
    That's totally correct! I was addressing the development resources associated with creating and launching the new infrastructure required for the costumes, versus an ongoing drain of development resources for each new costume. That said, if the art department has free time I'd also prefer they spent it on refreshing some of the characters and improving and expanding upon certain animations, but maybe that's just me.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    While I like the idea of being able to change costumes, making these limited-time and behind a paywall only further pushes the unhealthy "collecting" part of MPQ and has no bearing on the actual gameplay. If development resources are going to be directed somewhere, I really would like it to be the gameplay side of things. For example:

-New game modes and events.
    -New goons with new abilities, creating new gameplay mechanics.
    -Refresh and rework the characters that are in the bottoms of their tiers, like 4* FalCap, to name one of many in desperate need of it.
    -Update the champion rewards system. We need more feeders, and I'm sick and tired of selling 3* covers now that most of my 3* tier is max-champed. I can only roster so many duplicates before it becomes a complete chore and burden on resources.
    While I'd like to see game play improvements, it is worth remembering that not everyone at the studio is interchangeable.  The artist (or artists) drawing these costumes aren't necessarily going to have the skill set to work on the things you've mentioned here.
    While there likely would have been some programming and design work to add the costume infrastructure, but as an ongoing feature it's just art.
    That's totally correct! I was addressing the development resources associated with creating and launching the new infrastructure required for the costumes, versus an ongoing drain of development resources for each new costume. That said, if the art department has free time I'd also prefer they spent it on refreshing some of the characters and improving and expanding upon certain animations, but maybe that's just me.
    Constipated 3* Marvel agrees.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 581 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Lukeslad said:

- I think we're gonna miss some great skins because how prude the D3 seems to be. For example, I'd love to have the "casual" version of X23 instead of that weird Wolverine-ish one, but it seems it's not gonna happen since D3 is, for some reason, mortally terrified of showing bare midriffs (see MPQ version of Emma Frost).
    Whoa!
    And not forgetting Kraven or Drax either.... Do the likes of the Hulk or Thing count as well?
  • MateriaHunter7
    MateriaHunter7 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Lukeslad said:

Whoa!
    And not forgetting Kraven or Drax either.... Do the likes of the Hulk or Thing count as well?
    The Masked (and only masked) HawkGuy animation?
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Today is the day!!!!  Who is excited?!!
  • Drlex
    Drlex Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I hope that the Lady Deadpool costume still gives whale points. It should but you never know.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Today is the day!!!!  Who is excited?!!
    I'm excited for the potential in the future for them to create fun and inventive ways to earn costumes outside of spending money for RNG.

But if that's their ultimate goal for the feature, I'm not that fussed.
    This is another feature I want to like, but we'll see how it goes.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Drlex said:
    I hope that the Lady Deadpool costume still gives whale points. It should but you never know.
    Cosmetic only.  No change in anything (bugs not withstanding).  So you can see Lady Deadpool for your Daily Deadpool Point Gathering ritual as you choose.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's like buying HP, but with a bonus of 3* covers though.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Options
    £13.50 for a costumes and a few covers and HP. Ummmmmm, no.  
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    $15 for a 3* costume? Yeah, no.

1-3* costumes - unlock through gameplay
    4* costumes - unlock through a vault/store
    5* costumes - unlock through VIP or bundles
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Re:  Pricing:  They can always drop the price.  Raising the price after the initial release, less so.  My guess is prices will initially be high for maybe a few months then we'll see a price drop, that way they'll capture the most area under the supply/demand curve or whatever you call it.

Re:  Costumes Good:  I support features that don't add more and more and more and more and more and more characters that players won't really care to use.  Also there's something to be said for cosmetic options that mean revenue streams that don't feed into a "pay to win" game (though in my opinion MPQ is all right in terms of P2W so long as players know what to do, are okay with not trying to grab every cover, and know they're going to be grinding a lot).

Re:  Costumes Perhaps Not So Good:  The costumes just don't look significantly different.  I mean all right, there's difference, but it's not like you're looking at Ramos vs McFarlane in terms of Spiderman or something.  Of course there's a question of proprietary art and licenses and costs, but that's as it goes.

Re:  Costumes Not What's Needed?  At the inception of the game, you had limited characters, and each had unique utility.  But a few years later, we have more and more and more characters, and really we don't want to use most of them.  All right, there's Essential Character nodes and SHIELD training, but if you want the most rewards for the least time spent in game, typically no matter your tier, you're trying to get a few particular characters, and a few sideboard characters, and those are the ones you use the most.  Then after that you're going for the generally strong or particular support characters that are good when boosted, then after that the weaker or generally not so good characters because you want them for Essential Character nodes and Deadpool Daily Quest's Clash of the Titans &c.

What I'm getting at here is - most of the characters we aren't using, navigating the ever-increasing number of characters is just a chore.  IMO there should be features implemented (like being able to define then choose from those defined teams rather than selecting one character at a time), alliance chat fixed so better coordination possible (as it is, either commanders need to implement harsh communications discipline or important messages get lost under comments about the weather, besides which commanders or subordinates need to keep repeating messages rather than having them stickied), as well as some sort of gameplay mode that makes it actually advantageous to use different characters - apart from the existing Essential Node, Clash of the Titans, and SHIELD training, because it's just not enough incentive to have a diversified roster really.

I don't mean players should feel they should be paid-in-game for every action they take, but really now - if you're in the 3*-4* transition and are considering rostering 4* Sandman, as opposed to 4* Gamora or 3* Cyclops, it's very heavily leaning against "don't roster Sandman, he just doesn't pay" - because Sandman's slow (so he eats up time if you do use him), 4* rewards structure pays off slower than 3* rewards structure (which is important if you have limited roster slots) &c.  Yes, that's how the game works, I understand naturally some characters are generally going to be more useful than other characters, but if you have a load of characters that nobody really wants to collect or use, well - it makes the game less interesting.

So either revamp the other characters (a time-eating balancing nightmare I know), or introduce game modes (another design nightmare I'm sure), or something (which will also certainly require a lot of work) - but what I'm getting at is MPQ today isn't the same as MPQ was three years ago, so even with all the improvements like character champing and progression-based PvP and 24 hour timers and rather a few other features I won't get into here - in spite of all the changes, the ever-increasing character count is fundamentally something that I don't think has really been addressed, in terms of making players feel that they're really getting use out of all their characters.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Tender but Tough vault has the costume rated as a 4* item. Wonder if that is linked to the character it is for or an indication that once it is gone you really aint getting that sucka. Or will there be a general costumes vault?