New Feature: Costumes! *Updated (11/26/18)

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    IronLad said:
    That is weird & disappointing - hope that Superior Octopus is more obtainable.
    It can be had for $200, a unicorn horn and a pint of blood from your first born.  5 hours only, buy it before it's gone forever!
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    75cp, that can be earned in 3 PVE events.
    2 PVE events gives 80 CP from progression alone.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I could not believe what I was looking at. I looked at the package several times thinking I was missing something. 75CP and 15000 HP? No tokens, no ISO...not even red ISO. And one costume.

Good freakin lord, is this game really in that much financial trouble?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If it was in trouble wouldn’t they offer deals we couldn’t refuse rather than this?

I don’t see the issue, I’m not interested in playing virtual dress up, so the cost of the deal be it £100 or £1000 don’t care because I wouldn’t buy it, in the same way I run a noob skin in fortnight. 

Are people salty because they want this dress up that much but have been priced out?

Whats the actual cost of that costume when you take away normal HP cost and 3 LTS worth of CP?

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, this is the biggest price discrepancy I've seen between Android and Steam.  In New Zealand Dollars:
    Android = $129.99
    Steam = $92.99
    For comparison, a Stark is $124.99 vs $123.99.

Yeah, nah.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    $104.99 for a Thor costume, 15K HP and 75 CP....nope.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the idea of costumes is fun, but I can't see spending any real money on them. So unless I happen to stumble across any during regular playing, I won't be getting any more.
    I do buy VIP every month as a contribution to keeping the game going, so only have Lady Deadpool so far.
    Would like to see them as rare random bonuses as long as it didn't replace a bonus hero.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I keep remembering the comment in the costumes announcement that they would be available for reaching certain acheivements.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I keep remembering the comment in the costumes announcement that they would be available for reaching certain acheivements.
    Achievement unlocked: Had £100 in disposable income
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:
    Smart80 said:
    Am i the only one that prefers his original look?

Also, an offer like this is not even tempting me, so Im good with this. People who like it, buy it, others dont. With cheap costume only offer, many will just buy without even thinking, thats much more deceptive marketing to me...
    I don't see it as deceptive.  People are paying the advertised price.  It's on them to track their spending. 

I find forced/artificial scarcity far more deceptive.  That is literally attempting to artificially jack up the price of something by effecting the well established rules of supply and demand.
    If you need more than a couple of days to figure out if you should take this offer, im pretty sure you shouldnt do it..
    Its a fair deal on hp/$, and if you keep in mind plenty dont buy in buyclubs, its even better for those players.

Letting people drip money a couple bucks a time to re-wardrobe their roster (how many toons we got now to do this on?), is much more likely to create impulse buys people shouldnt do or in longterm perhaps even could afford. Therefor, much more deceptive imo.

Saying, its on them to track their spending, is the whole problem. People cant or dont do that with small purchases... 

Anyway, you see it in different way. Valid point, I just disagree.
  • zeroswitch
    zeroswitch Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    broll said:

Instead of this horrid roll-out out, make them available all the time in a store.  Each one costs $0.99 to $5 based on quality (the first release being the $0.99, this Thor one being closer to the $5).  Wouldn't you guys make more money by encouraging every player to buy one to many small purchase rather than trying to get the already over-spending whales to drop stupid amounts of money. 

Also if the forced rarity really going to help sell them?  I would think once they start getting out there and people see them on PvP opponents that would be free advertising, instead by the time that happens the offer will be gone and you as a company shot yourself in the foot by denying that person the purchase.

I thought about this too... when I was playing Marvel Heroes Omega, I spent money on new costumes all the time, in part because they were always there, taunting me.  Also because they were (mostly) affordable.   Some exceptions for rare chase costumes, but over 90% were just in the store 24/7/365.  $10-$20 and done.   Add the big expensive bundles with HP and CP  in addition,  and see which sells more. 

Disagree bigtime with this limited time FOMO mindset, and the huge price point.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bbigler said:
    Based off of the reaction I've seen in a buy club chat room, whales are not interested in the Thor costume deal.  The reason is the CP amount.  This deal is 3/4 the cost of a Stark and you get 3/4 the HP of a Stark.  But 3/4 of the CP you get in a buy club (140) is 105 CP, which is more than the 75 CP in this deal.  So, it would cost you 30 CP to get the costume and you don't have to hassle with the coordination of a buy club.  I think the people that would buy this are the holiday spenders that don't do buy clubs.  Everyone else will probably pass.  Plus, there's the expected Digital Day deals, which trumps this deal too. 
    I agree with everyone else that costumes should not be treated as rare commodities.  They should be treated as fun but pointless window dressing.  Give them away for free in events that feature that character (like hitting max progression in PVE or hitting the 800, 900, 1200 thresholds in PVP.  If you play long enough (which is their goal) you can collect them all. 
    I'd love it if someone could tell me where to find a buy club. I do spend on the game and would love to get some additional return for my investment. After reading about them, I tried looking for months but either I don't know how to find them or they don't exist anymore.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    helix72 said:
    bbigler said:
    Based off of the reaction I've seen in a buy club chat room, whales are not interested in the Thor costume deal.  The reason is the CP amount.  This deal is 3/4 the cost of a Stark and you get 3/4 the HP of a Stark.  But 3/4 of the CP you get in a buy club (140) is 105 CP, which is more than the 75 CP in this deal.  So, it would cost you 30 CP to get the costume and you don't have to hassle with the coordination of a buy club.  I think the people that would buy this are the holiday spenders that don't do buy clubs.  Everyone else will probably pass.  Plus, there's the expected Digital Day deals, which trumps this deal too. 
    I agree with everyone else that costumes should not be treated as rare commodities.  They should be treated as fun but pointless window dressing.  Give them away for free in events that feature that character (like hitting max progression in PVE or hitting the 800, 900, 1200 thresholds in PVP.  If you play long enough (which is their goal) you can collect them all. 
    I'd love it if someone could tell me where to find a buy club. I do spend on the game and would love to get some additional return for my investment. After reading about them, I tried looking for months but either I don't know how to find them or they don't exist anymore.
    First, create a login for Line.  Then come back and ask someone to message you so you can get invited to the appropriate room.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Smart80 said:
    broll said:
    Smart80 said:
    Am i the only one that prefers his original look?

Also, an offer like this is not even tempting me, so Im good with this. People who like it, buy it, others dont. With cheap costume only offer, many will just buy without even thinking, thats much more deceptive marketing to me...
    I don't see it as deceptive.  People are paying the advertised price.  It's on them to track their spending. 

I find forced/artificial scarcity far more deceptive.  That is literally attempting to artificially jack up the price of something by effecting the well established rules of supply and demand.
    If you need more than a couple of days to figure out if you should take this offer, im pretty sure you shouldnt do it..
    Its a fair deal on hp/$, and if you keep in mind plenty dont buy in buyclubs, its even better for those players.

Letting people drip money a couple bucks a time to re-wardrobe their roster (how many toons we got now to do this on?), is much more likely to create impulse buys people shouldnt do or in longterm perhaps even could afford. Therefor, much more deceptive imo.

Saying, its on them to track their spending, is the whole problem. People cant or dont do that with small purchases... 

Anyway, you see it in different way. Valid point, I just disagree.
    This is a thoughtful comment. We would all do well to consider subtle -- though very, very real -- economic manipulation in our lives.
  • bluewolf
    Options
    The game's digital resources are its only product.  Pricing is important as a way to create a feeling of scarcity, and the desire to have that item.  The other way is to throttle access.

Supports are a prime example of an item that is mostly available only to people who will spend (and the occasional lucky soul).  We (the non-whales) get frustrated by the lack of access, but that is apparently the goal thus far:  make them hard to get so people might spend some money.

Costumes are somewhat similar so far.  They have no impact whatsoever on gameplay, but are being priced at such a level that you are unlikely to get them, unless you decide you really want one.  While players feel frustrated, the developers appear to think that pricing them above impulse buy (sometimes far above that level) makes them stay relatively rare and therefore stay desirable, something you might spend on.

Imagine this:  What if the developers agree with you, perhaps, that $1-5 is a fair price to pay for a costume alone (no HP or other resources).  Note: they are technically pricing the costume at nothing because the bundles have been pretty much in line with the normal store cost for resources.

Now, if the developers release a way to get the costume at a lower cost in the future, the player has a sense that they are getting a bargain since the original cost was higher.  (This is anchoring, which is establishing a potential price that can make the end price seem like a better deal, like when you buy a car.)  And buying quickly at that point makes you part of the small group of costume owners.

Boom.  More sales might just result.

TLDR:  As pointed out above, we are constantly being manipulated in this game, just in different ways for different resources.
  • Moon Roach
    Options
    I renewed my VIP again today, still inertia.  My Day 1 reward was another Lady Deadpool costume.  As it was a duplicate, I got 500 HP instead.  Interesting..
  • bluewolf
    Options
    I renewed my VIP again today, still inertia.  My Day 1 reward was another Lady Deadpool costume.  As it was a duplicate, I got 500 HP instead.  Interesting..
    Congratulations on having the luck to have your VIP renew twice in the Lady Deadpool era!  Mine is still 9 days away, so I will just get the normal day 1 reward when it happens.
  • Moon Roach
    Options
    OJSP said:
    It’s there on the announcement (first page near the bottom)
    So it is.