New Feature: Costumes! *Updated (11/26/18)

Comments

• Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    I don't even care that these are behind a paywall, I wouldn't want them for free. They've said and done nothing about supports for months and this is what they come out with. Someone obviously wants these because they show up in every game but this is garbage content and a desperate grab at a few bucks when you could easily put these dev resources into something people would actually pay for. I haven't spent any money in this game in over a year, not because I don't want to but because they have done nothing worth paying for. And they haven't changed my mind today. I moved on to other games after they dropped the ball on IW and supports, they have been getting my money ever since and will continue to do so if this is the best you've got. Maybe it's time to move on entirely, this is getting sad.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    I'm glad to hear that time was spent on this instead of anything important
  • Xalthim
    Xalthim Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    jgomes32 said:
    Ok.....

This x 100
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    IronLad said:
    Great; this feature has been on the surveys for ages, and I always choose it as one of my picks.

Lady Deadpool was actually one of the costumes I envisaged, but some other top picks for me:

• 5* Gambit - End of the World (may as well have a fan-service buff to compensate!)
    • 5* Jessica Jones - Jewel
    • 4*/3* Cyclops - Marvel Swim Suit Edition ("stupid sexy cyclops" mk.II)
    • 4* Iceman - any other Iceman (aka not the stuff of nightmares)
    • 4* Invisible Woman - Future Foundation (long-needed art buff)
    • 4* Nova - Richard Ryder (don't think high profile enough to ever get a 5*)
    • 3* Loki - Agent Loki (though lots of other good options)
    5* jj - jewel would be a stellar choice
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    ROFL at everyone who says "pity that you have to pay for the costumes and can't get them by playing".

That. is. the. point.

This will make a ton of money from casual players - IF the rollout is better than what it looks like.

Costumes should be buyable at any time, for real world currency.

Why make new players or 3* players jump through hoops to buy HP for heroes for hire.
    Price the costumes at 5 bucks, payable like VIP, and watch your profits rise.

This feature should have been in the game day 1, seriously.
    That or  different comic cover variants.  I look forward to W.o.M month cause it’s the only time we see variant covers and halloween
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    I think this is a cool idea.  Making them limited/difficult to obtain seems weird, though.

For people complaining that this was announced before 5* feeders (or whatever your preference might be), that
    is reasonable but it also seems doubtful that
    the same employees working on this type
    of project would be the same as those working on more systems/gameplay oriented projects.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems that the devs believe they perfected the game, and therefore are working on polishing it up cosmetically. 

The devs must ask them selves a serious question. Is that really what their players want?
    I guess that depends on the player. I’ve asked for this in suggestions before and am glad to see it in game. I want this 10,000 times more than supports. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Costumes are rare and special - most Costumes will only be available for a limited period of time or only to players who reach particular achievements in the game. 

Neat! It already feels like we've got "alternate costumes" covered with different versions of the same character, but really this opens the door for even more options. The new Spidey game has what, 20-30 suits? Seems way more feasible to add some of them as costumes to get them into the game instead of having more versions of Spidey. You'd want a new Spidey for, say, Symbiote Spidey, but you could do the Stealth Suit (with the neon highlights) for BSS, the homemade Homecoming suit for 5* Parker, comic Iron Spider for the MCU Iron Spider, etc, to get more suits in without doing a separate Spidey until you "need to", you know?

I like the alternate KK outfit, I like that we're getting a t-shirt Luke Cage instead of the business suit (and I like that shirt as well). Do not like Lady Deadpool. I'd rather her be her own character. Though I guess once I get the costume 3* Deadpool will permanently become 3* Lady Deadpool for me anyway, that's almost close enough. Still, the precedent of "character that could exist on their own reduced to a costume" isn't cool. She should be able to go into fights WITH Deadpool (where theoretically you could add in Head/Kid/Dogpool from the Deadpool Corps alongside DP and LDP), and we all know they aren't coding that into the game for the costume, so 3* Lady Deadpool won't be usable alongside XFDP or a future 5* Deadpool (which we all know is coming eventually, right?)

Like, white Iron Fist costume for either version of Danny is good. Davos skin for Danny (comic or Netflix) is bad. Black suit for 5* Daredevil is VERY GOOD. Netflix Bullseye costume for Daredevil BAD. Iron Man costume of... any Iron Man suit worth including = GOOD. Iron Man costume of Rescue = BAD. You know? Don't use costumes as a low-effort way to give us other characters. I'd rather have Lady Deadpool as a support than as a costume. (I mean, because they're costumes, this isn't REALLY even Lady Deadpool, it's Deadpool cosplaying as a female version of himself, and that's kinda weird)

But ultimately it sounds like a fun idea. We could get Thor post-Sakaar (whether he looks like late Ragnarok or Infinity War, either look feels more fitting for the 5* than the version with gladiator gear). White Iron Fist outfit. Black Daredevil suit. Homemade Spidey suit. That Winter Soldier Cap suit. NOT ICEMAN. Yes, people hate 4* Iceman because you gave us stupid-face teen Bobby, but the solution for that is an appropriate 616 omega-level Iceman 5* character, not a reskin of stupid-face.

Can't wait to start earning these!

How do I get Costumes?
    • Lady Deadpool is a VIP reward for players who purchase or renew VIP any time between November 26th and January 3rd.
    • The Costume replaces the 1000 Iso-8 day 1 reward (and that 1000 Iso-8 is spread out to increase other Iso-8 rewards).
    • No Normal will be available in a Heroes for Hire offer until December 2nd.
    • Tender but Tough will be available in the Tender but Tough Vault until November 29th.
    • Future Costumes will be announced in-game when they are available.
    ... oh.

So they sound like things you either have to earn in a narrow window (like "Spidey costume only available during his movie release" or "Devil Dino costume only available during Anniversary") or via a challenge (they'd be a fun reward late in a revamped Gauntlet, or maybe for some progression reward well beyond normal for most events, so you could earn it by going way above and beyond during a boss, for example).

But then they're available for VIP ($), a Heroes for Hire offer ($ if you don't have the in-game resources available, or maybe just straight $ if the offer isn't available for in-game resources in the first place) and RNG in a vault (conveniently overcome with liberal application of $)

Pick one. Sell us cosmetic items, and remove the limited time offer entirely (throw in alternate covers while you're at it, I'm sure there are people that will spend for these things; I'd spend for some of the ones I suggested above). OR, make them limited time things we can EARN and offer a buyout as an alternative (the tradeoff being "you only have so much time to get this, but if you work hard you can get it without extra cost).

I get that this is supposed to make money for the game. But it feels like the priority is all out of whack. There are so many costumes that could be added, ones that people want (Yellow Daredevil? Dark Phoenix? Weapon X Wolverine? maybe an Allfather King Thor?), and if you make a good system to get those to us, people will spend money. But it feels like you're trying to get more money out of us, and are doing the bare minimum effort to squeeze that blood from the stone. It feels like you want my money without putting forth the effort to make me want to give it to you. You're trying to manipulate me into spending for fear of missing out, when I'd be more willing to spend if you'd stop the manipulation tactics and instead would work on giving me a desirable product. Respect us as consumers, man. There's a way for us to both win, but you're focused so hard on making sure YOU win that WE end up losing, and if WE lose, we don't spend, and YOU lose. Clearly you can see where the problem lies in that, right?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope this makes loads of money, and remains completely irrelevant mechanically. I'm not into it for my roster, but since it doesn't affect gameplay one bit then that is perfect.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    They just seem to be really out of touch with what the game needs. Make pve progression only, fix dilution with a semi-vaulted system, make it easier to get supports and then you could do stuff like this. And honestly this would be pretty low on my list of things to add to the game. Make a pve season with lots of side content like gauntlet. As for this costumes feature I would have had regular costumes that you can unlock through gameplay and then had a premium costume that you could only get from vip or by buying a special bundle.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if this means we're going to get the original Quicksilver costume sold back to us...
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks Brigby, that helps. But it seems to me that management wanted to turn the Art Department's idea into an attempt to increase revenue without actually saying it, which looks bad. I bet the art department would have been happy to give away these costumes for free. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they released this and some character re-balances and/or Feeders at the same time i bet the reception would have been a little better.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    bbigler said:
    Thanks Brigby, that helps. But it seems to me that management wanted to turn the Art Department's idea into an attempt to increase revenue without actually saying it, which looks bad. I bet the art department would have been happy to give away these costumes for free. 
    I don't know -- I'm willing to pay for a little fun and I'm more than willing to pay something when I know it employs (or at least pays) more artists...
  • Steve111
    Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    It seems like supports are on hold to promote something worst than supports. Sorry for the negativity.