New Feature: Costumes! *Updated (11/26/18)

Options

Comments

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    waywreth said:

Are those costumes visible to your opponent when you're battled in PVP?  Or are they something just you can see?

Per Brigby - Others players will see your Costume in Versus battles, and vice versa

Gosh darn, that Q&A wasn't there when I asked the question.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Love the costumes, particular the No Normal one, but haven't used this characters in months... Hope it drives revenue to support the game and we can get character rebalances. Most of our rosters just sits there with little value in reusing.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nice thought to keep the game interesting but really not what the vast majority of gameplayers are looking for 

Brigby please bring us some good news regarding support tokens as rewards in story mode, perhaps a few new story lines or another run of the new boss event from the anniversary with improvements. 

finally a solution to the growing dilution of 4* and 5* characters, every new release makes it harder to complete the older characters 
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I suspect this may be of interest to the masses, just not the majority of those who use the forums.  Totally agree that:
    1) no value to me since I never use these characters
    2) I do wish the hours spent getting this feature rolling were instead used to fix things I care more about, but...
    3)  If this makes enough money to help the game roll on, then I'm happy we have it
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If we look at feeders and supports, this "new feature" should be fully rolled out in 2, maybe 3 years
  • Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I wonder if this will mean no more new variant characters just new skins for existing ones.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is interesting. They made this feature in a way that doesn't affect the gameplay in terms of strategies. It's not compulsory to get it and everyone can see it. 

I like the last 2 (Kamala and Luke Cage). 2 out of 3 costumes belong to 3* characters. The last one belongs to a 4*. Could this be something many players brought up in their feedbacks or surveys? 
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I lost interest after "buy VIP during this period to get". Saw that and knew they rest would have ridiculous hoops to jump through to get.
  • KenshinUK
    KenshinUK Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Options
    So instead of steam UI fix we get TF2 hats essentially?
    If it keeps the game alive... ok... I guess.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Based on the number of stickers I see in line, and the skins I see in fornite / call of duty,  I have no doubts people will be buying these hand over fist.  If it doesn’t affect my gameplay, why do I care about the other chars costume?

I just hope they release the classic costumes ASAP.  Quake already has a marvel reigns variant, and I would probably want that outfit
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wish the alternate costumes came with perks, but I understand how that would just raise H E double hockey sticks on the forum when some of these are only available through in-game purchases. 

If you're taking recommendations, I have two:

1: Make the alt-covers that are sometimes feautred available, too

2: Not sure if it's possible, since these mostly seem like re-skins, but I'd love to be able to use Skottie Young versions of characters in-game
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I understand that the devs have to recoup the money spent on new art assets, but I hope in the future we will be able to earn some of these not just having to pay for them. Especially in vaults. I like they idea of having to achieve some sort of feat to get them. "Win [X amount] of matches with Ms Marvel to unlock..." or "Spend [X amount] of Deadpool whale points to unlock..." type of stuff.
    Both these and supports are nice on paper and wouldn't be bad if they weren't gated behind massive amounts of RNG or having to spend money in a certain time frame.
  • Arks
    Arks Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I lost interest after "buy VIP during this period to get". Saw that and knew they rest would have ridiculous hoops to jump through to get.
    Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be able to buy them outright for $9.99. Limited time only! /s
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm curious how much money will actually be made off this and what the business plan (assuming there was one) said would be made by doing costumes.

I get that costumes are a thing with in some video games (e.g. Fortnite, Overwatch) but in those games it's true multi-player and you can show off your costume to friends and strangers.  You can kind of look like you might be really cool while playing.

With this, who cares except yourself?  No opponent is going to think "Wow, nice Lady Deadpool".  So you are literally only spending money so you can see your own costume.

Yeah, it's neat to change up the look and feel now and then but, as mentioned above, I don't care if 5* Thor were a stick figure by a three year old.  That's who I'm using.

Was anyone on the forums ever caught saying "I wish I could get better costumes for my characters"?