New Feature: Costumes! *Updated (11/26/18)

Options

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Happy for those who like them, but huge pass when I don't even use animations anymore ( have not seen a single new character animation since the feature was introduced). 

ETA: I'd vastly prefer comic covers over this feature as I actually look at my roster, which is what 95% of its only use.
  • Mjsleftglove
    Mjsleftglove Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Wow is this a punishment for calling supports worthless. Because this is literally worthless. I miss going on the forums and seeing what characters were being reworked for the season. Now we get to play dress up. Thanks!
  • GreenArmadillo
    GreenArmadillo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If these things are throw ins that do not increase the price of existing 6x value packages, I guess I might bite.  3 star land seems like an odd place to start, though. Some of us are stuck there for now due to cover dilution but eventually I will get out of there and not get much value out of cosmetics for characters I no longer use.

In any case, kudos for not making these affect gameplay the way supports do.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm fine with cosmetic monetization. Essentially, these come across to me as additions to existing purchases - VIP or H4H.

No issue with that. It's an improved ROI for people who do those things, and it doesn't create a haves vs have-nots gap. 

I'm on board. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Okay, so uh... kinda neat.

But there's Spider-Man 2099, classic Drax, grey Hulk, Dark Pheonix, classic Ms. Marvel (Carol), X-Force Angel, Logan's browns, Weapon X, classic Emma Frost (yowza!), Ultimate's Thor, King Thor, Daredevil in black, any of the Age of Apocalypse costumes, Black Panther's classic cape, classic Afro Power Man, original/classic Iron Man....

But you start off by giving Deadpool female body parts, putting Kamala in jeans, and Luke Cage in shorts?

And you want us to pay for it?
    I personally like the lady Deadpool. It’s the only one I like of the original 3 and am glad it’s the one tied to VIP. I imagine they’ll keep pumping these out so there will be time for those. 
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Make PVE about using your whole roster instead of speed
    Have a PVE where you can only use each character once each clear
    PVE nodes where you can only use characters of 3* or lower, 4* or lower (like DDQ has for 1* and 2*)
    Have accomplishments where using characters generates bonuses based on total damage done, powers used, etc.

Make it fun again to have all these characters instead of "How many clicks does it take to find that 3* Thanos for the trivial nodes?" Then costumes might be more interesting,.
    This... Seriously. These are good ideas to implement in new events in PVE or restrictions to current PVE you should consider.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PVE nodes where you can only use characters of 3* or lower, 4* or lower (like DDQ has for 1* and 2*)
    Have accomplishments where using characters generates bonuses based on total damage done, powers used, etc.

Make it fun again to have all these characters instead of "How many clicks does it take to find that 3* Thanos for the trivial nodes?" Then costumes might be more interesting,.
    This... Seriously. These are good ideas to implement in new events in PVE or restrictions to current PVE you should consider.
    That might make sense for vets but how do you balance that to make it so new players can actually play PvE too?  Imagine not being able to do more than a few nodes because you have hardly any characters. That’s a great way to drive away a new player before they even decide if they like the gameplay or not. 
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Im glad this wont affect gameplay as they cant be earned by it either. Could have started with a better group though... not even 1 5* costume? Or a real top of the line 4* we could still be using? But hey, its something i wont have to chase and might prevent more dupe characters, so its all good i guess.

Really hope this didnt take away too much dev time from for instance the previous big roll out that still needs a lot of fixing: supports...
    Please get back to fixing support interface (whats where for instance) and availability of anything since Black Panther...

broll said:

That might make sense for vets but how do you balance that to make it so new players can actually play PvE too?  Imagine not being able to do more than a few nodes because you have hardly any characters. That’s a great way to drive away a new player before they even decide if they like the gameplay or not. 
    Clearance levels? Check..
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Smart80 said:
    Im glad this wont affect gameplay as they cant be earned by it either. Could have started with a better group though... not even 1 5* costume? Or a real top of the line 4* we could still be using? But hey, its something i wont have to chase and might prevent more dupe characters, so its all good i guess.

Really hope this didnt take away too much dev time from for instance the previous big roll out that still needs a lot of fixing: supports...
    Please get back to fixing support interface (whats where for instance) and availability of anything since Black Panther...

broll said:

Clearance levels? Check..
    Right?!

You could even add on to it...
    Say, give each PvE event a list of challenges that can be changed for each individual PvE (you know, so the challenges aren't the same ones the next time they run Meet R&G for example).
    The nodes would all be able to be completed by any means, much like now, but have these challenges like a checklist of things to do during that days event. 
    -- Use character X 3 times.
    -- fully clear the last node without using character X.
    -- beat the 5th node in less than 5 turns.
    -- etc, etc.

Hopefully you get my point.  Everyone can still clear the event, but put extra prizes behind each of the challenges.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    smkspy said:
    Happy for those who like them, but huge pass when I don't even use animations anymore ( have not seen a single new character animation since the feature was introduced). 

ETA: I'd vastly prefer comic covers over this feature as I actually look at my roster, which is what 95% of its only use.
    They recently added a video about Bishop to their youtube channel. That was the very first time that I saw his animations. And yeah I would LOVE to be able to earn comic variants in the game. I really want those variant covers that they had for Carol's 50th anniversary. Tie them to in-game achievements like unlock a variant cover when you reach a certain champ level, unlock another for using them so many times. They could put variant cover packs in vaults too.
  • MirrorKnight
    MirrorKnight Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    While I like the idea in general, it is frustrating to see another new feature that is rolled out with limited availability and only through in-game purchases.

I support the game with purchases when I can, but I find the cash-grabby-feel of this off putting, and will specifically not be renewing my VIP during this period.

As many other people have pointed out, this is fun and all, but there's a lot of other things that have been higher on the community wish list for quite some time.

That all being said, I still appreciate the development of every new feature and respect the drive to keep the game growing. Thank you devs! :)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Everyone should take a moment and consider this is the first step. We don’t know what you might be able to do in the future to earn costumes....imagine an extra ally reward for completing both sides in Civil War, for example.  

Make these accomplishment trophies / bragging rights (as well as monetized), and get some more visually interesting ones (I feel safe predicting those will come) and you could have a good thing going.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    so THAT is where all your resources for character updates went. 
    don't like that decision but apparently you don't like my money  either
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Overall, I think this sounds like a harmless way to add some variety, fun, and individuality to an otherwise fairly static environment (missions don't change much and that's where we spend our time).

One thing for sure, though: this would be an effective way to get some Stan Lee into the game as a tribute... Maybe a SL cosmetic for The Hulk(s)?
  • IronLad
    IronLad Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Great; this feature has been on the surveys for ages, and I always choose it as one of my picks.

Lady Deadpool was actually one of the costumes I envisaged, but some other top picks for me:

• 5* Gambit - End of the World (may as well have a fan-service buff to compensate!)
    • 5* Jessica Jones - Jewel
    • 4*/3* Cyclops - Marvel Swim Suit Edition ("stupid sexy cyclops" mk.II)
    • 4* Iceman - any other Iceman (aka not the stuff of nightmares)
    • 4* Invisible Woman - Future Foundation (long-needed art buff)
    • 4* Nova - Richard Ryder (don't think high profile enough to ever get a 5*)
    • 3* Loki - Agent Loki (though lots of other good options)