*** Doctor Doom (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    X/X/5 seems like the best build for PVP on defense. I've had a surprising number of defensive wins so far. I think it's probably because the player is busy matching green and black for X-Force and red and blue for Thor or whoever else. Meanwhile, my Doom matches purple and before you know it he's unleashing Diabolical Plot for 1669 per trap. Buffed, six traps is enough to one-shot a maxed X-Force when combined with the incidental prior match damage. It's a nasty surprise if you're not careful.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I caved and went 3/5/5: Doom isn't going to be featured in a heroic so the max damage point is moot. I will say though that this is ONLY because of X-Force. I still disagree with the "you'll pair him with a better black" logic, because literally the only two better blacks in the game are XF and BP. Then again, this is an XF world we live in, so yeah. I will say though that if you had to choose between purple or black disregarding the metagame, I think purple will be better: the instant damage it offers seems better than the more inconsistent black attack tiles (although obviously not when paired with strike tiles).
  • clay_peterson
    clay_peterson Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I went 4/4/5. In blue, the difference is only going to really matter occasionally, and I like having access to a better Summon Demons when I need it, and - given I use Doom a lot without X-Force - I do sometimes need it. If I change my mind, I'll only need another blue to respec him.

My Doom is currently 4/4/4, but this is what I'm leaning towards as well. Five blue vs four only makes a difference when there's more than 9 blue tiles on-screen, and the the fourth cover in black gives an extra attack tile.

But then, I tend to think that 5/4/4 builds get too easily dismissed out-of-hand.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    Like rixmith, I value 5 blue because of the certainty conversion. I will wait until there is at least one blke-black match. Usually I can get a match 4 or match 5.
    So it's 355 for me.

And me as well. Currently my Doom is 5/5/3, but That will change as covers come. I'd sooner lump in Cage with Doom than rely on Doom's black. It's great damage. BUT. XFW is all too prevalent in the game, and has a tendency to clear the board when I'm about to use Doom's Black.

I am also hoping for a Secret Wars 4* Doom to drop when the Secret Wars series comes out. Pew-Pew lasers, Fury like traps that do electrifying damage and stun the enemy one turn, and a timer tile that pops a doom bot if Doom is taken down. You wouldn't have management of the Doombot, but would have a second chance at living if Doom was on your team. That's not been done, yet. And I think it'd lend extra complexity to what makes a 4*.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I caved and went 3/5/5: Doom isn't going to be featured in a heroic so the max damage point is moot. I will say though that this is ONLY because of X-Force. I still disagree with the "you'll pair him with a better black" logic, because literally the only two better blacks in the game are XF and BP. Then again, this is an XF world we live in, so yeah. I will say though that if you had to choose between purple or black disregarding the metagame, I think purple will be better: the instant damage it offers seems better than the more inconsistent black attack tiles (although obviously not when paired with strike tiles).

Here's something to ease your mind

The only 3 builds for him are 3/5/5, 4/4/5, or 5/3/5

Purple must always be maxed, as I have stated it all depends upon your value of blue, but here's the skinny on purple and black.

Lets' assume over the course of 5 full turns (you then the AI) that 32 tiles are destroyed, that's half the board.

Summon Demons

Lvl 3= 4x165 tiles
    Lvl 5= 6x190 tiles

So if 1/2 the board is destroyed over the next 5 turns there will be 2 tiles left from lvl 3 and 3 left from levl 5 in theory. Lvl3 decays at .4 per turn, Lvl 5 decays at .6 per turn, I rounded up

Lvl 3 --T1(4)--T2(4)--T3(3)--T4(3)--T5(2)==16x165=2640 dmg
    Lvl 5 --T1(6)--T2(5)--T3(5)--T4(4)--T5(3)==23x190=4370 dmg

This is a difference of 1730 over 5 turns

Diabolical Plot

Lvl3--610 dmg plus 610 per tile
    Lvl5--1131 dmg plus 1131 per tile

That's a 521 dmg diference on cost and tile

Now over those same 5 turns you would have generated 5 diabolical tiles, lets round up that 3 are left

Lvl3--2440 dmg
    Lvl5--4524 dmg

That's a difference of 2084

So if I was 5/5/3 I would have done 6810 dmg over those 5 turns with Demons and Plot
    If I was a 3/5/5 I would have done 7164 dmg over those 5 turns with Demons and Plot

But guess what, I'm going to have a lot more than 3 tiles out, I can guarentee, but over 5 turns having only 2 and 3 tiles left from my original 4 or 6 is probably spot on

The more I looked, the more I knew that 5 purple was a must. Not that Demons is bad, but not going 5 purple is worse than not going 5 black.

Now if you think 4 blue is enough to do your stuff then 4/4/5, and if you think 3 blue is enough then 5/3/5, but Doom's build should only be determined by black and blue, not purple, because 5 purple makes complete sense.

To the other arguement you can accelerate into black faster than purple, due to blue. True, but if you chase purple as much as you are chasing blue, you can get them ready in the same amount of time, and Diabolial Plot puts guys down now, not in a few turns, because if you are sitting on 2K worth of hitpoints, you may not have a few turns.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    I can take my Doom up to Level 104, as of today.

I have several 2*s at 94. Also a Deadpool.

So far, my Doomsington is at 3 / 4 / 1. I'd like him to be my next character at level 94. In the past two Tier Lists, he has been rated as one of the worst 3*s. With his newest power added on, is he now Top 15ish?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:
    I can take my Doom up to Level 104, as of today.

I have several 2*s at 94. Also a Deadpool.

So far, my Doomsington is at 3 / 4 / 1. I'd like him to be my next character at level 94. In the past two Tier Lists, he has been rated as one of the worst 3*s. With his newest power added on, is he now Top 15ish?
    Doom was always pretty good. His main drawback was only having two powers, leaving his level cap on the low side. Can't really say if he's top 15ish or not, but he's definitely a solid* that covers many colors that are sort of hard to come by. So go ahead and level him up if you want. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What Quebbster said.

Over a year ago, Doom was my 2nd maxed-out *** (back when he only had two powers). He's got high HP, fits into many groups pretty well, and was an excellent support character in my transition out of **-land. With the recent addition of his very-solid third power, I still use him all the time.

Go ahead and level him up whenever you can spare the ISO; he may not be top 15, but he's solid.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love my Doom, he's excellent for the Deadpool Daily events as once you get a handful of strike tiles on the board it shortens the whole thing considerably.
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So Doom's Diabolic Trap (pink) power takes pink to power up, but the traps are dropped on pink tiles, so odds are you are burning through your traps to gather enough AP to set them off.

Compare to Blade's green Thirst power, it drops Red attack tiles. So even if Blade matches green, it doesn't get rid of any attack tiles.

So how about making Doom the same? Make his trap tiles on yellow instead of pink?

Other than that, I think it's a great power.
  • I think it's an interesting risk reward mechanic, much like his blue. You collect blue to make blue black, but if there isn't much blue on the board it's not useful. Both powers kind of tie into the "patient" Doom character.

On the other hand, does it really need to announced when the purple "trap" tiles are destroyed since it doesn't do anything?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's nice to be able to keep track of roughly how many are on the board -- and thus how hard Diabolical Plot will hit if you let Doom gather 10 purple AP.
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Options
    sucks to use the ability prematurely - cuz you're scared the computer may wipe out a quarter of the traps on the board if you don't...
  • it needs tweaking for sure and toning down too .

would be a good idea i think if u can use it somewhat like aries greens , meaning each pink u have will shatter 1 trap on board ,min needed pink to activate at full here needs re looking into>, and if u have more than needed , u still get to keep the rest .

my doom is just a pup , but for him i usually gather the needed pinks , and wait till i need to use them .
    but when facing a fully leveled doom with thugs , damn , he can kill my team in one go , that's why i never face him without my obw for now , wish my hood had his stealing blue tho , that would make dooms threat much less .
  • The way it is now is honestly fine, it limits the amount of damage you're likely to do with it in the first place while giving you the chance to do spectacular damage if the game goes long enough, it's not something that's meant to clear the enemy team, its a one and done mop up of the last character in the match once your attack tiles have taken out the first two. Changing it could make him a lot faster but he hurts a lot right now if you play the long game, I'd rather be able to 1 shot the odd person than make him chip away more, but maybe that's just me.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SlamDunc wrote:
    The way it is now is honestly fine, it limits the amount of damage you're likely to do with it in the first place while giving you the chance to do spectacular damage if the game goes long enough, it's not something that's meant to clear the enemy team, its a one and done mop up of the last character in the match once your attack tiles have taken out the first two. Changing it could make him a lot faster but he hurts a lot right now if you play the long game, I'd rather be able to 1 shot the odd person than make him chip away more, but maybe that's just me.

He is my Go To in PVP, for the PURPLE (not pink) ability alone. You will match away some of the traps while building the skill to be usable, but please do not change it! (unless you make it cheaper to cast!) ..
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Doom's purple works great as is -- patch's green won't overwrite doom's trap tiles, and matching pink tiles while he drops a trap per turn can easily result in no enemy tiles being produced.
  • Unknown
    Options
    seems like with all the changes, doom's powers in order of importance are: purpleflag.png > blueflag.png > blackflag.png
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    seems like with all the changes, doom's powers in order of importance are: purpleflag.png > blueflag.png > blackflag.png

I'm running 5/3/5 and have no desire to downgrade his black. I've seen very few instances where having the extra tile or three converted would've immediately helped me. Similar situation to Cyclops, who I also run 5/3/5. The damage massively outweighs a extra couple tiles converted.

Kamala OTOH i run 3/5/5, because the extra tile conversion is worth more (to me) than the small extra health burst. The variability in color also gives it a lot more utility.
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:

I'm running 5/3/5 and have no desire to downgrade his black. I've seen very few instances where having the extra tile or three converted would've immediately helped me. Similar situation to Cyclops, who I also run 5/3/5. The damage massively outweighs a extra couple tiles converted.

Kamala OTOH i run 3/5/5, because the extra tile conversion is worth more (to me) than the small extra health burst. The variability in color also gives it a lot more utility.
    I guess I was a bit vague. I was more referring to the fact that Iron Fist makes blackflag.png for nothing so really, if anything, you want doom for his purpleflag.png.