*** Doctor Doom (Classic) ***

Comments

• I really enjoy how the player is able to make matches even while Doom passively places trap tiles for his Diabolical Plot ability.

It may seem like the smallest thing, but it flows so well as opposed to other characters who disable your ability to make matches while their passive abilities pop off, i.e. Spider-Man's Spider Senses tiles, Bullseye's Adamantium Bones tiles, Daken's strike tiles, and several others.

I understand that this may be because Doom's trap tiles appear at the beginning of the turn rather than at the end of the turn, but there has to be a work-around. As long you can make matches while the player's/enemy's passive tiles pop off, a nice lightning quick momentum can be maintained.

Again, it may seem trivial, but it's the most annoying thing to start tapping the screen thinking it's now your turn, but nope, you still have to wait a second or two for Daken's annoying strike tile to appear all anti-climactically. Total momentum killer for us impatient players who like to play at a very fast pace.

Thanks for the great game, publishers and designers of MPQ! icon_doombot.png
  • iamxzo
    iamxzo Posts: 65 Match Maker
    I just had a fight doom vs ** cap marvel, she used yellow and changed my trap tiles into team up tiles, so I had team up trap tiles on the board, which not worked when I used skill to activate it
  • iamxzo wrote:
    I just had a fight doom vs ** cap marvel, she used yellow and changed my trap tiles into team up tiles, so I had team up trap tiles on the board, which not worked when I used skill to activate it
    This will be fixed in the next update -- it's in the R71 update notes.
  • Every once in awhile it develops into something significant, but for the most part Doctor Doom's new power just consists of him screaming "diabolical plot" all the time and then nothing ever really materializes...............oh, TOUCHE Demiurge, TOUCHE. I see what you did there.
  • I've seen people complain about this in General Discussion, but I think it deserves a thread here.

It's annoying that a text box saying 'Diabolical plot' pops up at the start of every enemy turn AND whenever you destroy one of the trap tiles. I suggest that when you match away the trap tiles, it should only display the smaller 'trap disarmed' message above the destroyed tile.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    I love Doom, his purple is deadly, and if you get a chance to use black more than once, you get some really nice damage adding up. I only have 3 in blue, but considering how often the board has 8 blue or less, or special tiles, it has worked out ok for me.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    I still don't know what to build him, as I was sure I'll able sacrifice 5 blueflag.png for 5 purpleflag.png as I'm OK with 8 bluetile.png conversion, then again, recently (my matches) I noticed there's ALOT of bluetile.png on board...
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Marty17 wrote:
    I still don't know what to build him, as I was sure I'll able sacrifice 5 blueflag.png for 5 purpleflag.png as I'm OK with 8 bluetile.png conversion, then again, recently (my matches) I noticed there's ALOT of bluetile.png on board...

3/5/5 is the answer. Because you can't choose which last blue gets converted, and because with a full empty black you have SO much a capacity to do damage..........
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marty17 wrote:

If there's more than 8 blue on board, just match away the extra blue then use technopathic strike.
  • I've been debating this for a while and i finally decided to move my Doom from 553 to 355. The main reasons for me to make this change was 1) i never really get his black off and 2) There aren't that many great purple active powers out there.

easy...marc
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the 2 Doom covers I had a decision point from my 5/5/3 build...so I went 5/3/5.

I ultimately decided that the only time I really use him is featured in PvP. Since the AI will decision-tree Demons and Surgical, I'd rather both are maxed, so at least when it chooses wrong it still hurts as much as it can.
  • I went 4/4/5. In blue, the difference is only going to really matter occasionally, and I like having access to a better Summon Demons when I need it, and - given I use Doom a lot without X-Force - I do sometimes need it. If I change my mind, I'll only need another blue to respec him.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    The "best" Doom all amounts to how you value blue.

If you look at purpletile.png or blacktile.png you will see something similar, and that is their damage.

Full black per turn is 1140
    Full purple is 1131, and then 1131 for each tile.

Essentially purple does all the damage up front and costs 2 less AP, but Black can do more over time, but does cost 2 more.

So if you have 3 purple tiles you just did 4 end of turns worth of black, it's for this reason I value his purple over his black, because the longer a player stays around the more chance I have in dying.

So for me purpletile.png > blacktile.png but where does blue lie?

I personally think purple needs to be 5, I'm just not sure where black and blue should be, not much help, but it is the fact with Doom, how much do you value blue?
  • Phaserhawk

If you look at purpletile.png or blacktile.png you will see something similar, and that is their damage.

Essentially purple does all the damage up front and costs 2 less AP, but Black can do more over time, but does cost 2 more.

So if you have 3 purple tiles you just did 4 end of turns worth of black, it's for this reason I value his purple over his black, because the longer a player stays around the more chance I have in dying.

I personally think purple needs to be 5, I'm just not sure where black and blue should be, not much help, but it is the fact with Doom, how much do you value blue?
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I value keeping Blue at 5 covers and agree that Purple is more important than Black (so 3/5/5 build, though I don't have 5 purple covers yet). My reasoning is that with 5 Blues I know what the outcome of using the ability will be, whereas with less covers I may not get the result I want. And since when I use Blue it is often in order to generate criticals as well as just for black generation, I value that certainty pretty highly.
  • I got really lucky and happened to get 4 doom black and 2 doom blue really randomly after just having a 1 blue, 1 purple doom. And I'm feeling like even though diabolical is a killer move, it wiped out an ares with 3000 health, I'm leaning towards demons because you get demons so much more often. What with technopathic feeding it. It's probaly not just because I already have 4 black either
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Like rixmith, I value 5 blue because of the certainty conversion. I will wait until there is at least one blke-black match. Usually I can get a match 4 or match 5.

My experience with black is that I rarely get a full 1k dmg for more than 3 turns. With random cascades, and AI matching red (also a strong color), the dmg it does drops a lot over time.it may be due to the choice of partner, since I usually play doom with Xforce and Xforce green always clear a lot of the board, and usually kill off those strike tiles.

So it's 355 for me.
  • Doom is my favorite Marvel character so I've played with him a lot more than he probably deserves. For me, five in blue is an absolute must. His purple is strong but in practice it just rarely matters as much as his black, you have an opportunity to get serious damage off of his black in almost every single battle he's in, while you often don't get the AP for purple, or, if you do, it's when the battle is all but over already. 553 if you intend to relegate him to "Heroics Only" status, if not, you'll almost certainly be pairing him with someone with a better black so 355.
  • Phaserhawk
    The strongest maxed blue build is 3/5/5

The reason being, the amount of damage lost from lvl 3 to level 5 black is not as much as level 3 to level 5 purple.
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    gamar wrote:
    553 if you intend to relegate him to "Heroics Only" status, if not, you'll almost certainly be pairing him with someone with a better black so 355.
    Heroics only ever allow heroes, so Doom will never be allowed in a Heroic.