New Event - Places of Power *Updated (10/11/18)

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah, "Deadly" nodes. "Deadly" was a team of two Muscles and Juggernaut, all overscaled to ridiculous levels. Imagine the Muscles pumping out Strike tiles of obscene strength, together with their AoE. Then throw in a Juggernaut whose two abilities cost 6AP. *shudder*

Define "obscene" and "ridiculous".
    How much damage?

I can't remember. That was back in the dark days of roster-based scaling and rubberbanding. I believe their levels could escalate up to the 400s, when there was no such thing as 5*. Juggernaut's scaling was also bonkers back then, which was why he was the best character in Balance of Power. That was before they fixed the scaling, especially for lower-star characters.

Some fellow veteran help to jog my memory.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    I think the highest level was only around 325-375
    But being that, that was pre-champing the highest you could have was a level 270 4* .

And when lower rosters complained that they literally could not play an event because they highest thing they had was a 3* at 100 something, they actually got told to skip the whole event, by an official person.
    Those were barbaric times. 

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Twysta said:
    I think the highest level was only around 325-375
    But being that, that was pre-champing the highest you could have was a level 270 4* .

And when lower rosters complained that they literally could not play an event because they highest thing they had was a 3* at 100 something, they actually got told to skip the whole event, by an official person.
    Those were barbaric times. 

And there was also Community scaling, meaning that the more people played (as in, all the people, not just the individual player) the tougher the nodes got.

I was able to grind a lot thanks to 3* Spider-man's 2 AP stun and lots of boosts... Took forever though.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,215 Chairperson of the Boards
    My question is: what difficulty level is "DEADLY"?
    I assume easy and hard are the same as normal PVEs where easy are the first 3 nodes and hard the last 3.
    Is it right?
    then what is "DEADLY"?
    Is it like 5* nodes?
    Harder?

Thank you.
    • Two missions for each difficulty.
      • Normal: (Levels 50-170)
      • Hard: (Levels 110-225)
      • Deadly: (Levels 200-370)
    Note that the deadly subs and 3/4/5 essentials and the others have 2/3/4 essentials.
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Here are some groups if sentries are present:

Hawkguy 5 black to generate blue and purple, Medusa and Kamala 5/3/5. Fire Hawkguy blue and purple and Kamala green. You’ll stay alive and knock the sentries out quickly.

Kraven, lockjaw and bl4de can sub in for Kamala. 

Hawkguy and Medusa are musts and you don’t even need her purple. 
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bubba3210 said:
    Here are some groups if sentries are present:

Hawkguy 5 black to generate blue and purple, Medusa and Kamala 5/3/5. Fire Hawkguy blue and purple and Kamala green. You’ll stay alive and knock the sentries out quickly.

Kraven, lockjaw and bl4de can sub in for Kamala. 

Hawkguy and Medusa are musts and you don’t even need her purple. 
    Medusa/Carnage/Kraven is also a very good anti-Sentry team.  You'll very likely get Kraven's de-buffing to go to work on the first turn. Medusa at 4/5/4 so you can steal any sort of tile.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the idea of the new alliance event is about discovering, exploring, scouting and formulating strategies while the event is running to take the monotony out of the typical alliance event?

It could go something like the leaders would send 6 players out to explore each parent node. Then the 6 players will report their findings to their leaders. The leaders will then come up with the appropriate strategy with information gathered to clear as many rewards as possible in all the nodes real time.

To summarise, the process looks like 

1) scouting 2) formulating strategies while the event is running 3) executing the plan

I think what's happening here is that some want all details available so that they can plan out the entire 3 or 4 days event in advance. The process will then look like this:

1) formulating strategies before event begins 2) executing the plan once the event starts

Just a guess, anyway.

The alliance event looks refreshing and I'm counting down to the event.  B)
    That would be great,  if in game chat weren't utterly horrendous
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    On top of what everyone's already said - and I know this is an issue with virtually all alliance events rather than just this one - why does it have to take so long for the preview to show up in-game? We've got about 90 minutes until the thing starts right now, and there's still no sign of it in the game. Unless you're a regular forum visitor or you scoured the Anniversary details, you'd have no idea that the thing even exists. The basic, ordinary PvEs that start every three or four days and everyone knows are coming get plenty of warning, but these unusual, change-things-up events get about five minutes. It's ridiculous.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I must have missed the part where we get more Taskmaster. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sweet! I'm so nearly there on getting this last Howard cover i need from Anniversary, I'll take all the earned tokens I can get!
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:

Ah, "Deadly" nodes. "Deadly" was a team of two Muscles and Juggernaut, all overscaled to ridiculous levels. Imagine the Muscles pumping out Strike tiles of obscene strength, together with their AoE. Then throw in a Juggernaut whose two abilities cost 6AP. *shudder*

I don't miss those days. #nostalgia

(*Old Prospector Voice*)

Did you young'ins know that in the entire history of MPQ, no Juggernaut Unstoppable Crash has ever destroyed a single Muscle strike tile, nor generated less than 6 red, 10 purple (for 1* Venom's old team stun) and 6 green AP for the AI in cascades?   That's the god's-honest-truth.  (* spits *)

/(* Old Prospector Voice *)

Define "obscene" and "ridiculous".
    How much damage?

I can't remember. That was back in the dark days of roster-based scaling and rubberbanding. I believe their levels could escalate up to the 400s, when there was no such thing as 5*. Juggernaut's scaling was also bonkers back then, which was why he was the best character in Balance of Power. That was before they fixed the scaling, especially for lower-star characters.

Some fellow veteran help to jog my memory.

The old level cap for the AI was Lv395.  Due to community scaling, many goon nodes would hit this towards the end of almost every event, which means the first time I personally faced Lv395 goons, my highest two characters were a 9-10 cover 2* Thor capped at Lv70 and a maxed IM35 at Lv50.  Even for players with maxed 4*'s, this was both pre-championing and pre-boosted 4*'s, so you were always ~100 levels below the AI in PVE (...and the first four 4*'s were, IIRC, pre-buffed Invisible Woman, pre-buffed-long before the subsequent nerf-X-Force Wolverine, Nick Fury & Devil Dinosaur...so essentially useless compared to the boosted 3*, even without the stronger, newer 3*'s like Cage, Fist, Strange, etc existing at the time).  Additionally, the AI's teamups were the 5-cover ability strength at the level of the highest AI's character, meaning that until you advanced beyond 2*'s, it was very possible to enter a node where the AI had the ability to one-shot any character you had with abilities in any color as well as team-ups.  

...oh, and for top placement you had to clear every ~2.5hrs.   Did I miss anything?

Not that it was unspeakably awful back in the old days, but it's hard to understate how many positive changes have come to PVE since the First Anniversary.

Venom's team stun was only 7 purple. /shudder.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, I'm trying to figure this out - for high-level alliances, it would still be in our overall best interest to having people doing the "normal" and "Hard" sub-chapters, rather than just all jumping into "Deadly?"
    The way I read it is, you can earn all those alliance rewards as long as your alliance splits evenly between doing the Normal, Hard and Deadly missions. 

If everyone jumps into the Deadly missions, then all the other alliance rewards will go to waste. 
    Once a chapter is fully complete, you work on others. But yes, probably best to spread between all 3 to try and earn all possible rewards.
  • BigND
    BigND Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Malcrof said:
    So, I'm trying to figure this out - for high-level alliances, it would still be in our overall best interest to having people doing the "normal" and "Hard" sub-chapters, rather than just all jumping into "Deadly?"
    The way I read it is, you can earn all those alliance rewards as long as your alliance splits evenly between doing the Normal, Hard and Deadly missions. 

If everyone jumps into the Deadly missions, then all the other alliance rewards will go to waste. 
    Once a chapter is fully complete, you work on others. But yes, probably best to spread between all 3 to try and earn all possible rewards.
    Wait, what? You can play more than one chapter (subevent) a day?
  • Malcrof
    BigND said:
    Malcrof said:

Not you alone, he was asking about spreading the alliance out.
  • BigND
    BigND Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Malcrof said:
    BigND said:
    Malcrof said:

Oh, i see. Wil there be enough points to get al the prizes for all difficulties?
  • Agent262
    Agent262 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Why on earth would we not have the information we need (how many people per node to hit max) to complete an event where you are locked out of the other nodes once you choose one?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    BigND said:
    Malcrof said:
    BigND said:
    Malcrof said:

Oh, i see. Wil there be enough points to get al the prizes for all difficulties?
    You'll find out in ten minutes.
  • Malcrof
    Agent262 said:
    Why on earth would we not have the information we need (how many people per node to hit max) to complete an event where you are locked out of the other nodes once you choose one?
    Each node already tells you how many are in it for that day, and points earned.