MPQ 5th Anniversary Celebration! *Updated (10/23/18)

Options

Comments

• Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Smart80 said:
    It does seem really strange that Dino isn't featured more. I've had him since his release and I'm still 2 covers short of him being at 13. What is the point in having these limited characters if, when each anniversary comes round, you dont at least throw covers at us? Its the only time we are able to gain any covers at all!!! 
    I would like to see something similar like they did for Howard. Limited toons to have their own event that gives a random cover each time around..

They don't even need a new event for Devil Dinosaur, just have him drop from the one-time node in The Hunt.
    That’ll do nicely indeed. 
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    0_efx_0 said:
    Great Anniversary idea:
    Multiple Legendary Stores for a week!
    Store sets of 3 picks.
    Loki Thor Doc Ock
    JJ Parker Phoenix
    Okoye Panther Banner

You get the idea...
    Yeah, except all of your trios include a dud.

should be 
    pve: thanos/strange/DD
    pvp: okoye/JJ/Thor 
    3* player: oml/phx/surfer
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    0_efx_0 said:
    Great Anniversary idea:
    Store sets of 3 picks.
    Loki Thor Doc Ock
    JJ Parker Phoenix
    Okoye Panther Banner

You get the idea...

should be 
    How about a bottom tier store that only costs 5 CP per pull?

5*s: Banner, Doc Ock, Wasp
    4*s: Dino, Howard, Emma, Spiderwoman, Winter Soldier, Ghost Rider, Mr. F, Fury, Sandman, Eddie Brock

Max Cover everyone for only 1375 CP!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options

I am once again shocked! Dazzler, at least in her classic form, would definitely have been a candidate for a Limited / novelty character, but Jubilee is a way more legitimate character than Taskmaster — "legitimate" in this case meaning she's an official member of the X-Men, she's way more established in the lore, and she's been popular for decades in part due to the animated X-Men series. 
    I was using them from an out of in-continuity context. I like jubilee and dazzler as fours. They're just more (in-game perspective) silly, but fun characters that really aren't a must have for the 4 star tier. TM based on his power could actually contribute to a four star roster when weighted against them.

So popularity really has nothing to do with it any of this for me. There just wasn't a need for another limited character, and creating one to "celebrate" the game's anniversary is thoughtless imo.

It is already bad enough that anniversary is just time for DD covers DD, but now they've tacked on another limited when players have been asking for years to just make them regular 4s.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see special celebration when those 9 DD covers come around once a year...very least they could have halved that number and put TM as the 9 cover limited character.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:
    0_efx_0 said:
    Great Anniversary idea:
    Store sets of 3 picks.
    Loki Thor Doc Ock
    JJ Parker Phoenix
    Okoye Panther Banner

You get the idea...

should be 

4*s: Dino, Howard, Emma, Spiderwoman, Winter Soldier, Ghost Rider, Mr. F, Fury, Sandman, Eddie Brock

Isn't Mr. F quite highly regarded now on the right team? I'll take that 5CP store though!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    smkspy said:
    I think the big downer is TM being limited, once you read that bit everything else read is viewed critically.

Making a limited character, what? after two years, for a good character feels more like an April Fool's joke than a celebration. If they wanted a limited character should have held Jubilee or Dazzler in reserve for this.
    I said this in the Taskmaster thread:

I'm honestly shocked that there are so many Taskmaster fans out there. Outside of having maybe his trading card, I'm not sure I ever even read any comics that featured him, back when I was a kid or as an adult. I'm glad he's in the game, but I definitely see him as a solid candidate for a Limited / novelty character.

I am once again shocked! Dazzler, at least in her classic form, would definitely have been a candidate for a Limited / novelty character, but Jubilee is a way more legitimate character than Taskmaster — "legitimate" in this case meaning she's an official member of the X-Men, she's way more established in the lore, and she's been popular for decades in part due to the animated X-Men series. 

season with double iso for 2 weeks

I grew up reading Avengers and in particular George Perez run on the same where Taskmaster was first introduced. The thing that made me love him from the start was that he was the answer to a question I had always wondered - where did the bad guys get their flunkies from? Who trained those Hydra agents? The answer was The Taskmaster! Added to that, his abilities were perfect - he only had to witness a physical activity that was humanly possible and he could do it! There weren't many bad guys who could take on Cap but here was a guy who could not only sling a shield as hard as ol' Winghead but he could also fires arrows with Hawkeye's accuracy and fight with Iron Fist's skill. He could legitametly give Cap or Hawkeye a run for their money yet he was only human. The fact that he is also the villain in perhaps one of the most famous Avengers issues - the one that gave us the "Ant-man arrow" cover - so iconic they recreated it in Civil War, just makes me fonder still. 

As for Jubilee being a more legit character - well your mileage varies. Jubilee, to a Marvel fan of my age, represents everything that became horrible about the X-Men. Claremont distilled what he thought was "cool" and re-hashed Kitty, not realising that Kitty was a one-off. So, yeah, maybe Jubilee had greater exposure but I just wanted Kitty back.
    Fair enough! I grew up with the X-Men cartoon so Jubilee never seemed like an unwelcome add-on to me. I read Spider-Man first, X-Men second, and then an assortment of whatever I could get my hands on. Avengers comics were never high on that list, which is why I never encountered Taskmaster as more than a trading card back then.
    I’ve never read many comics and only know her from the cartoon also. Still think she’s hot garbage. All she ever did was whine and shoot ineffectual sparklers. 
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:
    0_efx_0 said:
    Great Anniversary idea:
    Store sets of 3 picks.
    Loki Thor Doc Ock
    JJ Parker Phoenix
    Okoye Panther Banner

You get the idea...

should be 

I’d actually take that lol. I would need just around 1000 CP to cover my 1/0/2 Doctopus. And my Banner and Wasp would be somewhere around lv465-470. I won’t say no to 5* champion rewards...
    And then I tried side nodes for a boss when my highest level characters were Wasp and Banner... I want my 5CP back!
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AZ0273 said:
    bbigler said:
    0_efx_0 said:
    Great Anniversary idea:
    Store sets of 3 picks.
    Loki Thor Doc Ock
    JJ Parker Phoenix
    Okoye Panther Banner

You get the idea...

should be 

Isn't Mr. F quite highly regarded now on the right team? I'll take that 5CP store though!

Mr. F is my go-to to kill Kaecillius.  Agent Coulson, 5* Hawkeye, and Mr F  - you get "swap two tiles on both purple and blue," and Hawkeye is there to tank and generate a steady stream of AP - it doesn't matter if the CDs he makes don't do anything, they generate 2 blue, 2 red, and one random.  Basically you use HE's blue if you don't need Mr. F's blue to match the strikes.

He's also useful in other teams, though it's pretty much just his blue you want him for...

• Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    GrimSkald said:

Regarding the crop of 5* in Latest Legends:

Not my pick for top 3 (that would be Thor, Okoye, JJ,) but if you factor in PVE it makes sense.  OML is still probably one of the most useful 5*s across the board - his (almost) unrestricted self heal and strike tile generation makes him a good support character for lower level rosters.  Sure, his nerf took him down a peg, for the lower level rosters, but at this point... I dunno, he still seems very useful to the 3* and 4* players.  Dr. Strange's utility in PVE is completely unquestionable, and like I say above, I count JJ as one of the top 5* characters.

The fact that Thor is absent is odd.  Possibly it's because he was featured in a limited 5* pool (Loki's release) so recently, but of course OML was quite literally in the last one...

Anyway, I would not be surprised if this list is based on usage statistics - I suspect Dr. Strange and OML see a lot more use outside of PVP, particularly for those people with one or less full 5*s...

I think these pics are due to a few things. 
    1) timing of when they asked... I think it was right when JJ came out.
    2) th majority of people have not champed a 5*, but OML has been around forever so they are “close” with him... also, everyone knows Logan.
    3) same with Dr Strange.... people are close  to completing, he is helpful in PvE and they know him from the 3*.

Im. Or even sure Okoye was out when they did thit surveys...
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    smkspy said:

I was using them from an out of in-continuity context. I like jubilee and dazzler as fours. They're just more (in-game perspective) silly, but fun characters that really aren't a must have for the 4 star tier. TM based on his power could actually contribute to a four star roster when weighted against them.

So popularity really has nothing to do with it any of this for me. There just wasn't a need for another limited character, and creating one to "celebrate" the game's anniversary is thoughtless imo.

It is already bad enough that anniversary is just time for DD covers DD, but now they've tacked on another limited when players have been asking for years to just make them regular 4s.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see special celebration when those 9 DD covers come around once a year...very least they could have halved that number and put TM as the 9 cover limited character.
    I agree with that, if a character is limited then they need to be REALLY GOOD. Not meta-defining, but you should at least want to use them. Devil Dino is terrible, even after the rework. Also, since the covers are so rare, every single champion reward should be significant, like an LT, 15 CP, 1,000 HP, 5* covers, etc. Otherwise whats the point?
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    smkspy said:
    I think the big downer is TM being limited, once you read that bit everything else read is viewed critically.

Making a limited character, what? after two years, for a good character feels more like an April Fool's joke than a celebration. If they wanted a limited character should have held Jubilee or Dazzler in reserve for this.
    I said this in the Taskmaster thread:

I'm honestly shocked that there are so many Taskmaster fans out there. Outside of having maybe his trading card, I'm not sure I ever even read any comics that featured him, back when I was a kid or as an adult. I'm glad he's in the game, but I definitely see him as a solid candidate for a Limited / novelty character.

season with double iso for 2 weeks

I grew up reading Avengers and in particular George Perez run on the same where Taskmaster was first introduced. The thing that made me love him from the start was that he was the answer to a question I had always wondered - where did the bad guys get their flunkies from? Who trained those Hydra agents? The answer was The Taskmaster! Added to that, his abilities were perfect - he only had to witness a physical activity that was humanly possible and he could do it! There weren't many bad guys who could take on Cap but here was a guy who could not only sling a shield as hard as ol' Winghead but he could also fires arrows with Hawkeye's accuracy and fight with Iron Fist's skill. He could legitametly give Cap or Hawkeye a run for their money yet he was only human. The fact that he is also the villain in perhaps one of the most famous Avengers issues - the one that gave us the "Ant-man arrow" cover - so iconic they recreated it in Civil War, just makes me fonder still. 

As for Jubilee being a more legit character - well your mileage varies. Jubilee, to a Marvel fan of my age, represents everything that became horrible about the X-Men. Claremont distilled what he thought was "cool" and re-hashed Kitty, not realising that Kitty was a one-off. So, yeah, maybe Jubilee had greater exposure but I just wanted Kitty back.
    Fair enough! I grew up with the X-Men cartoon so Jubilee never seemed like an unwelcome add-on to me. I read Spider-Man first, X-Men second, and then an assortment of whatever I could get my hands on. Avengers comics were never high on that list, which is why I never encountered Taskmaster as more than a trading card back then.
    I’ve never read many comics and only know her from the cartoon also. Still think she’s hot garbage. All she ever did was whine and shoot ineffectual sparklers. 
    Haha, she was apparently an omega-level mutant but didn't know how / was afraid to use her abilities to their full potential. And then she lost her powers and became a vampire. Although I think now she's no longer a vampire and she got her powers back? Comic books!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    smkspy said:

I agree with that, if a character is limited then they need to be REALLY GOOD. Not meta-defining, but you should at least want to use them. Devil Dino is terrible, even after the rework. Also, since the covers are so rare, every single champion reward should be significant, like an LT, 15 CP, 1,000 HP, 5* covers, etc. Otherwise whats the point?
    Never thought of the rewards like that, but you're absolutely right. Where is the joy in getting a couple/few DD covers once a year if gaining means the same as gaining a regular champ reward that is the same as any other 4 star.

If they're intent on pushing these ultra rare limited characters, (DD and bagman, not Howard) then actually make gaining those reward covers or the desire to build them actually mean something.

Currently, worst case is that a new player won't win a single crash, which they're probably use to being a new player.

Limited characters serve no purpose unless their return is greater than their investment of resources.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    GrimSkald said:
    AZ0273 said:
    bbigler said:
    0_efx_0 said:
    Great Anniversary idea:
    Store sets of 3 picks.
    Loki Thor Doc Ock
    JJ Parker Phoenix
    Okoye Panther Banner

You get the idea...

should be 

Mr. F is my go-to to kill Kaecillius.  Agent Coulson, 5* Hawkeye, and Mr F  - you get "swap two tiles on both purple and blue," and Hawkeye is there to tank and generate a steady stream of AP - it doesn't matter if the CDs he makes don't do anything, they generate 2 blue, 2 red, and one random.  Basically you use HE's blue if you don't need Mr. F's blue to match the strikes.

He's also useful in other teams, though it's pretty much just his blue you want him for...

Mr. F's black isnt too shabby either with some strong strike tiles or if you can manage some cascades in those 3 colors.

I like Mr. F with 5* DD.

Mr. F/Medusa/Carnage is also pretty much a team that just wont die, matches are long but you rarely lose. That was my shield sim team for a long time.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    smkspy said:
    smkspy said:

Never thought of the rewards like that, but you're absolutely right. Where is the joy in getting a couple/few DD covers once a year if gaining means the same as gaining a regular champ reward that is the same as any other 4 star.

If they're intent on pushing these ultra rare limited characters, (DD and bagman, not Howard) then actually make gaining those reward covers or the desire to build them actually mean something.

Currently, worst case is that a new player won't win a single crash, which they're probably use to being a new player.

Limited characters serve no purpose unless their return is greater than their investment of resources.
    But we all know the devs are stingy as hell, so thats never going to happen. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had an optimistic thought about Taskmaster.

We know that even those he's limited we get a Howard cover once per that event.
    We also know they are planning to have a clash for Taskmaster soon.
    We also know there's a new Alliance Raid feature we know nothing about.

What if Taskmaster is only available through that Alliance Raid.  This would make him limited in the sense that he's only available there and not in packs, but depending on how frequently they run that could be highly available.

Not sure why this occurred to me and it's highly unlikely, but I figured I'd post the idea hear anyway.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:

What if Taskmaster is only available through that Alliance Raid.  This would make him limited in the sense that he's only available there and not in packs, but depending on how frequently they run that could be highly available.

Not sure why this occurred to me and it's highly unlikely, but I figured I'd post the idea hear anyway.
    Your idea makes perfect sense.  Let's look at the current Limited 4*.  Dino is only given out once a year.  With Howard they changed it so that Webbed Wonder runs a few times a year.  So, it wouldn't be out of the question to have him become a normal Alliance Raid reward.  Then again, that assumes Alliance Raid doesn't wind up being like Boss Rush where it wound up being so bad that it was retired... Now would it have killed them to have an anniversary Gauntlet  :p.  Last time it was ran I wasn't strong enough to finish Round 3, and it'd be nice to see how my roster stacks up now... oh well...
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:

Maybe cause you read the bottom of the previous page? ;-)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really hope he's not an annual-only character - as it is my 4/0/0 Devil D is not looking forward to these crashes. I've got a decent spread on Howard comparatively though at 5/1/4. Hopefully I'll get some of every color so I could have the option in the future to buy him up at CP (not really seeing that being something I do, but you never know I guess)
  • MrKasady
    MrKasady Posts: 74 Match Maker
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Emma Frost?!?!  Darnit!!! :'( 

//Removed Profanity -Brigby
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My prediction is that the alliance raid event will be similar to Strange Sights, where each person can choose different subs to fight. But the difference is that alliance rewards are based off of getting a certain point threshold for each sub ... meaning you need to distribute yourselves evenly among the subs, which requires coordination. Perhaps it's like the civil war boss event but there's more than 2 sides to choose from.

I would like the raid event to be more creative and original, but I'm not expecting too much.