2.8 Release Notes *Updated (7/30/18)

Options

Comments

• andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Two questions:
    I saw a creature with leader: elf but we don't have elf tokens, whaddup? 

And verdant avatar can if loop with that thing that gives angels for each 5 life, no? 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    since animist awakening is origin, It would be a good idea to revert the nerf.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

I sincerely disagree with the SUPER NERF's Cycling cards and other legacy cards (Shire of the Forsaken Gods). Please, do not nerf our legacy. This is one of the most fun parts of the game. Thanks! :) 
    I'm confused.  Why is it ok to nerf a standard card but not a legacy one?  All cards hit legacy eventually (usually about a year). Why does them being slightly older make them inherently immune to balancing?  Oktagon announced that they would be balancing older sets when they first started.  Its a little surprising we didn't get a heads up, but not that it happened.

Cycling needed a nerf a year and a half ago.  But Oktagon wasn't around then, and when they started they had to focus on catching the sets up to paper.  The cycling nerf is fine.  You should not be able to win with nothing but cycling.

I find it interesting that the legacy cards that got changed are mostly not the overpowered ones (Olivia, Pig, Ulrich..ect) but were definitely still probably needed.  And some cards were buffed, not nerfed!  Balance!

I am waiting for someone to request a refund for their money buy of Shrine, though.  That would be hilarious.
    Don't forget about Mirrorpool getting the nerf. Wasn't that a paid card too?
    Was it?  That one I don't remember.  I do remember Captain's Claws and Stone Haven Outfitter being paid cards as well.  Ah, the good old days
  • Enygma6
    Enygma6 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Two questions:

And verdant avatar can if loop with that thing that gives angels for each 5 life, no? 
    Dwynen’s Elite
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kinesia said:

They just need to get it to 25 hours of content a day to flip the switch in your brain from "How do I do it all?" to "Which bits do I do?".

Grin.

(It actually happens much earlier than 25 hours, but it varies with individual.)
    It hit me when I started playing a second account.  Now the only must plays are coalition events and then it’s the JtH events then daily events. 
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

I sincerely disagree with the SUPER NERF's Cycling cards and other legacy cards (Shire of the Forsaken Gods). Please, do not nerf our legacy. This is one of the most fun parts of the game. Thanks! :) 
    I'm confused.  Why is it ok to nerf a standard card but not a legacy one?  All cards hit legacy eventually (usually about a year). Why does them being slightly older make them inherently immune to balancing?  Oktagon announced that they would be balancing older sets when they first started.  Its a little surprising we didn't get a heads up, but not that it happened.

Cycling needed a nerf a year and a half ago.  But Oktagon wasn't around then, and when they started they had to focus on catching the sets up to paper.  The cycling nerf is fine.  You should not be able to win with nothing but cycling.

I find it interesting that the legacy cards that got changed are mostly not the overpowered ones (Olivia, Pig, Ulrich..ect) but were definitely still probably needed.  And some cards were buffed, not nerfed!  Balance!

I am waiting for someone to request a refund for their money buy of Shrine, though.  That would be hilarious.
    It wasn't. You are slipping.

Also having 5 shields doesn't put a dent on it's usability. But it doesn't need a nerf imo anyway.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kinesia said:

They just need to get it to 25 hours of content a day to flip the switch in your brain from "How do I do it all?" to "Which bits do I do?".

Grin.

(It actually happens much earlier than 25 hours, but it varies with individual.)
    It hit me when I started playing a second account.  Now the only must plays are coalition events and then it’s the JtH events then daily events. 

Making the decision to stop even attempting Trial of the Planes helped so much.

I also have to never ever ever start Training Ground or Across Ixalan in the morning when they only have 3 hours left because _something_ happens and I don't finish, every single time. If I haven't done them before bedtime I have to just let it go.
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I. Just. Caught. Up. Levelling. Wttk? It's not even a new 3c walker .It's just another bolas. I have incredibly mixed feels about this. On the other hand ,absolutely everything else looks really promising. Quit messing wit muh 'motions! 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I. Just. Caught. Up. Levelling. Wttk? It's not even a new 3c walker .It's just another bolas. I have incredibly mixed feels about this. On the other hand ,absolutely everything else looks really promising. Quit messing wit muh 'motions! 
    @HarryMason I’m hoping since they mentioned both he will be a flipper like Arlinn. 
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What? Standard training ground is only half of the days? This must be a joke
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    gogol666 said:
    Um... what? I'm not seeing anything about it being half of anything.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Two questions:

Dwynen's Elite makes exactly one elf warrior token when it enters if another elf is in play.  So there is one.

Verdant avatar will not loop the reinforcing angel as reinforcement by that means is NOT an ETB trigger.

There are multiple test cases where you can view that reinforcement =/= ETB.  For example if you run Verdant Force alongside slimefoot, when slimefoot eats a saproling token during creation to reinforce it will not trigger Verdant Force.  Elenda getting reinforced via creature death will not trigger other ETB relevant triggers.  Squee becoming reinforced after re-entry will not give any additional ETB beyond his initial one.

Look for the create/summon keyword for things that trigger ETB.
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    gogol666 said:
    Um... what? I'm not seeing anything about it being half of anything.
    Check the update to training grounds rule in sneak peak
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,229 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    The set looks great overall. I'm pleased.

However, am I correct that there are only two cards in M19 that have Flash? Chromium and Murder?

Huh. I understand wanting to slow roll a tricky new mechanic, but it really seems like we could have had a couple of others if you wanted to test the waters effectively.
    It's probably the same thing that they did with Leader.  You only put in on a few cards to get all the bugs ironed out, and then start using it as a normal mechanic going forward.  

Indeed, I alluded to that above. However, two cards--I suppose three if you count Naru being retroactively changed--isn't really an effective testing environment, especially since two are mythics and not likely to be in wide circulation.  It's simply an odd choice not to give flash to say, Naturalize or Abnormal Endurance--both instants that provide disparate effects, so that you could test creature removal, support removal, and creature buffing during combat without breaking the game.

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    khurram said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

Also having 5 shields doesn't put a dent on it's usability. But it doesn't need a nerf imo anyway.
    To be fair, I wasn't playing during the Zendikar block. Just thought I remembered reading someone else saying it was a purchased card ;)

I only came into the game just before Eldritch Moon launched.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    khurram said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

I only came into the game just before Eldritch Moon launched.
    Noob  :D:D
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    Options
    khurram said:
    Aeroplane said:
    khurram said:
    Aeroplane said:
    Well, there is the nerf to progression awards in Across Ixalan to counter the non-dupe elite pack. 2-6 from 3-7 pink gems. Not a bad trade off, though.
    Where did you see this
    In the july sneak peak edition reward changes. Sorry, I reposted it again in the correct thread. TG got a mana rune bump and the trials got the same AI chop.
    I see. Although TotP never gave 25 jewels so it's still the same. To be fair AX also originally used to give 20 jewels instead of 25.

@Brigby you guys should be upfront about such changes in the pre-release notes. It takes just one sentence to state the reasoning behind it. But sneaking up the changes without prior intimation causes the kind of backlash that ruins everyones day.

khurram said:
    Aeroplane said:
    khurram said:
    Aeroplane said:
    Well, there is the nerf to progression awards in Across Ixalan to counter the non-dupe elite pack. 2-6 from 3-7 pink gems. Not a bad trade off, though.
    Where did you see this
    In the july sneak peak edition reward changes. Sorry, I reposted it again in the correct thread. TG got a mana rune bump and the trials got the same AI chop.
    I see. Although TotP never gave 25 jewels so it's still the same. To be fair AX also originally used to give 20 jewels instead of 25.

@Brigby you guys should be upfront about such changes in the pre-release notes. It takes just one sentence to state the reasoning behind it. But sneaking up the changes without prior intimation causes the kind of backlash that ruins everyones day.

khurram said:
    Aeroplane said:
    khurram said:
    Aeroplane said:
    Where did you see this

• khurram
    Options
    Aeroplane said:
    Where did you see this
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    Options
    khurram said:
    Aeroplane said:
    Where did you see this
    In the july sneak peak edition reward changes. Sorry, I reposted it again in the correct thread. TG got a mana rune bump . 
  • khurram
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Aeroplane said:
    khurram said:
    Aeroplane said:
    Where did you see this