Random MPQ Thoughts

Options

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With Colossus boosted in the latest PvE, it's funny to watch him "tank" for a couple of 5-stars who have at least twice his health.

"Don't worry, Thanos.  I'll protect you!"
  • Kojubat
    Kojubat Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Someone mentioned the "cannot be stunned" attribute on the 1v1 side nodes in Battle at the Basilica, which makes sense in that you don't want it to be a trivial thing to avoid the massive match damage, never mind powers.

What I find amusing is that if you wanted to fight that side boss thematically, just about every Spiderverse hero has a stun power (exceptions being Agent Venom, Iron Spider and Spider-Ham) - sometimes as the primary gimmick of their power set. Heck, even if you branch out to fight Kingpin with Daredevil, both versions have stun powers as well.
  • sambrookjm
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    I was playing Colossus with 3* Deadpool in today’s DDQ, both as a tribute to Deadpool’s movies and to get the Whale points for the day.

Whenever Colossus does his Fastball Special and Deadpool fires his Whales as a result (which happened every time Colossus used his black today), I like to picture Deadpool
    riding the whale to the ground like Maj Kong in Dr Strangelove. It just seems appropriate.
    Survival Kit contents:  8 Yellow AP.  13 Black AP.  14 Purple AP.  Dozens of large marine mammals.  2 sweet ninja-swords.  Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I still wonder to this day what kind of pictures Jessica Jones takes from the other character to cause such injuries.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kk3thess said:
    I still wonder to this day what kind of pictures Jessica Jones takes from the other character to cause such injuries.
    The predecessor to this thread was pretty much about that. Then I started noticing more odd and amusing things and made a broader thread for them.
    Recently, close to a third of the Standard Tokens I've pulled have been 1* Juggernaut. I kind of feel like they're mocking me, given how long it's been since I picked up a 4* Bonus Hero (Which would let me champ 4* Juggy).
  • sambrookjm
    Options
    kk3thess said:
    The predecessor to this thread was pretty much about that. Then I started noticing more odd and amusing things and made a broader thread for them.
    Recently, close to a third of the Standard Tokens I've pulled have been 1* Juggernaut. I kind of feel like they're mocking me, given how long it's been since I picked up a 4* Bonus Hero (Which would let me champ 4* Juggy).
    I had to pull about 65 LTs to get a Juggy bonus hero cover so he could reach LVL 209 for SHIELD training.  I can't complain too much, though, since I also got a 5-star bonus hero in those 65 pulls to champ Silver Surfer.

Now with the 250 CP for the Black Bolt cover, he's only one non-green cover away from being Champ #8.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I’ve just been thinking, and realised, that the recent run of characters has been really good:

Worthy Cap
    Human Torch
    Professor X
    Juggernaut
    Iceman
    Mysterio
    Black Cat
    Storm
    Sabretooth

Now obviously some of these are meta like juggy, and some are just pretty good, like black cat, but there are no duds here. No fatpins or Emma frosts to be seen for miles!

It almost makes me wonder if we are due a bad one soon. They can’t all be good right?
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One of these things is not like the others...
  • Dhaunas
    Dhaunas Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    MrEd95 said:
    I’ve just been thinking, and realised, that the recent run of characters has been really good:

Worthy Cap
    Human Torch
    Professor X
    Juggernaut
    Iceman
    Mysterio
    Black Cat
    Storm
    Sabretooth

Now obviously some of these are meta like juggy, and some are just pretty good, like black cat, but there are no duds here. No fatpins or Emma frosts to be seen for miles!

It almost makes me wonder if we are due a bad one soon. They can’t all be good right?

No duds? *cough* Mysterio *cough*
  • TPF Alexis
    Options
    Mysterio needs a team built with him in mind, but he's not actually bad. He could do serious work alongside, say, C4rol and Medusa. No need for blue, the team does want yellow and purple, and he generated Countdowns for C4rol. That's just off the top of my head.
    There are also a lot of teams he is terrible with, but that's a function of the team as a whole, not him in and of himself.
  • jp1
    Options
    Mysterio needs a team built with him in mind, but he's not actually bad. He could do serious work alongside, say, C4rol and Medusa. No need for blue, the team does want yellow and purple, and he generated Countdowns for C4rol. That's just off the top of my head.
    There are also a lot of teams he is terrible with, but that's a function of the team as a whole, not him in and of himself.
    I’d argue that he isn’t exactly good either. Still, a great run of really good to excellent characters...but, not Mysterio. He is low tier IMO. Not a Talos or Emma, but nowhere near a Juggs or Sabretooth.

If you build the right team, almost anyone can be decent. I watch Rick Oshay often take teams that should lose and dominate with them. I don’t think that makes the characters good, but the player skill there is on a level where even challenging tools get the job done.
  • TPF Alexis
    Options
    jp1 said:
    I’d argue that he isn’t exactly good either. Still, a great run of really good to excellent characters...but, not Mysterio. He is low tier IMO. Not a Talos or Emma, but nowhere near a Juggs or Sabretooth.

If you build the right team, almost anyone can be decent. I watch Rick Oshay often take teams that should lose and dominate with them. I don’t think that makes the characters good, but the player skill there is on a level where even challenging tools get the job done.
    Mysterio, I'd compare more to Kraven. He's niche, but he does his job well in that niche. He's a battery character, but one that most teams don't have a need for, and because one of his powers is passive, it can end up hindering a lot of teams that rely on blue.
    But I'd wager he'd be rated much higher if he produced, say, red and green from yellow and purple rather than yellow from blue and purple from yellow, even if nothing else changed. The problem isn't inherently with him, it's the lack of teams in the 4* meta that need yellow and/or purple batteries.
  • jp1
    Options
    jp1 said:

Mysterio, I'd compare more to Kraven. He's niche, but he does his job well in that niche. He's a battery character, but one that most teams don't have a need for, and because one of his powers is passive, it can end up hindering a lot of teams that rely on blue.
    But I'd wager he'd be rated much higher if he produced, say, red and green from yellow and purple rather than yellow from blue and purple from yellow, even if nothing else changed. The problem isn't inherently with him, it's the lack of teams in the 4* meta that need yellow and/or purple batteries.
    That’s a good point. I agree those changes would make him far more useful.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, he isn’t exactly a heavy hitter, but he isn’t supposed to be. His role is as support for yellow/purple users. And at that, he is pretty good. Not meta, but a long way from being a dud.

Definitely niche though. I stand by my original statement 
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Unfortunately there are a lot of yellow or purple users who have pretty good blue powers, certainly in the 4* tier. On a lot of teams he would be counterproductive which tends to give people a bad impression of him. 

Personally I’m not impressed but in a team with strikes to buff the passive blue and trap damage or with someone like 5* daredevil who punishes stuns I could see him being passable. No matter how bad he is, he’s no Talos. So that’s something. 
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are also a lot of teams (Mysterio) is terrible with... 
    We call these teams PVE/Shield Training loaner teams ;)

I think the comparison of Mysterio to Kraven is a good one, even if Kraven does have a direct damage power on his side to tip those scales slightly.

@MrEd95 's point is a very good one: the recent run of characters has been solid-to-excellent.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hearts of Darkness features The Hood as the 3E...now is this the same Hood who is also the bad guy in HOD? I guess ANYBODY could wear a hood, right? Maybe The Hood is actually somebody pretending to be The Hood? Maybe it is Wiccan! He has a hood sometimes and it is the only way for him to get boosted! Or is our one maybe an illusion created by Mysterio? Maybe it is Ninja trickery going on here? Or Mephisto?!?!?

So confused.

• jp1
    Options
    It is harder to obtain a meaningful amount of ISO than it is to obtain a meaningful amount of real world cash. I guess that is reflected in the pricing. Mystery solved, ISO is the new bitcoin.
  • TriggerTime
    TriggerTime Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    I can't believe I've been playing all these years, and I still don't know what 'Dormammu Said'.

:)