Random MPQ Thoughts

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Playing the loaner mode in Simulator and I have blue ready to go for either Talos or 2* Storm and the 2* power is the better option! That is just sad.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Playing the loaner mode in Simulator and I have blue ready to go for either Talos or 2* Storm and the 2* power is the better option! That is just sad.
    It speaks volumes about that team selection: Talos, Colossus and 2* storm that it’s the lowest tier, lowest level character who provides the best offensive capability and the most utility. If I weren’t a completionist I would be sorely tempted to let Talos pass me by.

Sometimes I wonder how the characters themselves would feel about their tiering. Like Talos, “perhaps the most cunning spy in the Skrull empire” (side note: I wonder if that award comes with a trophy and a cash prize), is totally outclassed by both 1* and 2* black widow - a common or garden human. It’s probably a good thing there are no prizes for the top intergalactic spy (another side note: that would be an interesting competition... firstly how would anyone know if you had done anything noteworthy and secondly, a better ploy would be to infiltrate the judging panel and get them to award you the prize without doing any ‘real’ spying - very meta...).
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    AXP_isme said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    It speaks volumes about that team selection: Talos, Colossus and 2* storm that it’s the lowest tier, lowest level character who provides the best offensive capability and the most utility. If I weren’t a completionist I would be sorely tempted to let Talos pass me by.

Sometimes I wonder how the characters themselves would feel about their tiering. Like Talos, “perhaps the most cunning spy in the Skrull empire” (side note: I wonder if that award comes with a trophy and a cash prize), is totally outclassed by both 1* and 2* black widow - a common or garden human. It’s probably a good thing there are no prizes for the top intergalactic spy (another side note: that would be an interesting competition... firstly how would anyone know if you had done anything noteworthy and secondly, a better ploy would be to infiltrate the judging panel and get them to award you the prize without doing any ‘real’ spying - very meta...).
    If Storm was outperforming a 3* it wouldn't be such a standout but really somebody 2 tier levels above?

I think I prefer Mystique to Talos also, truth be told.
  • AXP_isme
    Options
    I think I prefer <insert amusing / painful thing here> to Talos.

Feel free to add the memes / funnies yourself or just imagine what that might be. Examples might include a poke in the eye with a sharp stick or a slap across the belly with a wet fish. 
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AXP_isme said:
    I think I prefer <insert amusing / painful thing here> to Talos.

Feel free to add the memes / funnies yourself or just imagine what that might be. Examples might include a poke in the eye with a sharp stick or a slap across the belly with a wet fish. 
    i think it may be a good time to add to this
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/30199/funniest-comics-and-memes
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, my whole time through that node, I was thinking "When the 2* is your carry in the Loaner Node, something is seriously wrong."
    On a different note, Cold War had me wishing that Misty Knight was in the game, so I could run her and Nebula alongside Bucky for a team entirely composed of people with bionic arms.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    On a different note, Cold War had me wishing that Misty Knight was in the game, so I could run her and Nebula alongside Bucky for a team entirely composed of people with bionic arms.
    It's probably cheating, but Vision would have two bionic arms ;)
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why does Hawkeye hate yellow?  We have five versions of Clint plus Kate, but they still only cover five of the six colors between them.
  • AXP_isme
    edited May 2019
    Options
    We also have six iron armours (including Riri & WM), and soon to be a seventh, where none of them use purple. Maybe they’re frightened of embracing their masculinity, Riri and rescue aside, and wearing pink. 
  • AXP_isme
    edited May 2019
    Options
    And, come to think of it, cap is even more discriminating with no green or black powers in all their incarnations. 

Edit: de-gendered the pronoun given that Peggy is also in this bucket. 
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Why does Hawkeye hate yellow?  We have five versions of Clint plus Kate, but they still only cover five of the six colors between them.
    Hawkguy even heals on black!
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    AXP_isme said:
    And, come to think of it, cap is even more discriminating with no green or black powers in all their incarnations. 

Edit: de-gendered the pronoun given that Peggy is also in this bucket. 
    Thor/4Thor also - Green, Red, Yellow and blue, so no black or purple.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 581 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's not like Wolverine knows what blue is... Or purple for that matter. Only if you start adding in the Daken + X23 line does it all get covered.

Black Widow on the other hand is truely resourceful!
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Peter Parker is averse to black as well, even when he is “Back in Black”.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Yeah, my whole time through that node, I was thinking "When the 2* is your carry in the Loaner Node, something is seriously wrong."
    Don't put them on a team with Rocket though!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maxed out Colossus red is fairly effective and his match damage is better than Storm but I know what you mean, Talos is a 4* without much damage and under covered on most rosters since he is newer.  The game needs to offer more options than just direct damage as viable strategies. 
  • TPF Alexis
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Yellow is (depending on the precise shade) the chromatic opposite of purple, and that's kind of his core colour. No clue about all the rest of them. I was actually kind of expecting LumberCap to have black for at least one of his colours.
    Warbringa said:
    Maxed out Colossus red is fairly effective and his match damage is better than Storm but I know what you mean, Talos is a 4* without much damage and under covered on most rosters since he is newer.  The game needs to offer more options than just direct damage as viable strategies. 
    I admit, that was partly the board. By the time I got enough red, there was only one Opponent left, and they still had two turns of stun and only a couple hundred health. But still. I've often thought I'd like to have a 4* "lazy" version of 2* Storm, and I can't say I've ever thought that about Colossus.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Yellow is (depending on the precise shade) the chromatic opposite of purple, and that's kind of his core colour. No clue about all the rest of them. I was actually kind of expecting LumberCap to have black for at least one of his colours.
    Warbringa said:
    I admit, that was partly the board. By the time I got enough red, there was only one Opponent left, and they still had two turns of stun and only a couple hundred health. But still. I've often thought I'd like to have a 4* "lazy" version of 2* Storm, and I can't say I've ever thought that about Colossus.
    Question: Are you an armoured wrecking ball of destruction?
    If Y proceed to Q2, if other, deal damage now without additional stupid steps.
    Q2: So you are an armoured wrecking ball of destruction but do you have yellow AP? If Y proceed to the front and Q3, if N proceed to **** why does that matter?
    Q3: Congratulations! You may now deal your awesome metal punch or steeliness for maximum punchy punching! Or you could have spent that yellow AP on an Iron Man recharge and oh, by the way you suck.
  • TPF Alexis
    Options
    Since my Talos is still at like Lvl78, Colossus actually tanks all three of his colours and Team-up in that fight right now, so it's not that hard to get him in front when I need it. Even without that being a particular hurdle, he's not very impressive, tho.
    Actually, I do kind of like his yellow here, because Storm tanks blue over Talos, which can be kind of a problem, and with his yellow out, she can do that and then duck back behind him, which works out much better.
  • AXP_isme
    Options
    Colossus’s tanking mechanic isn’t bad and I understand the thematic, slowness link to high cost powers (though whether he is particularly slow, canonically speaking, I’m not so sure). His problem isn’t so much with his kit, though the condition on red seems unnecessary, it’s that the game doesn’t reward defensive play (tanking)  and encourages speed (low cost powers) so he’s sidelined by how he plays.