New Gambit nerf

Options

Comments

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

I think he is a super strong character who could use a tweak, but it is not really that different from the panthos meta, where in order to do well you had to have the same team as a counter.  Someone is always going to be on top.
    You never needed Panthos in that meta.
    I ran Surfer Bolt for months, that team absolutely destroyed Panthos.
    Case in point.  You are right, i should have said "in order to do well, it helps to have them."  

Just like right now, you don't "need" gambit.  I dont use him and do just fine.  
    Name teams you beat similarly leveled Gambits with that don’t include Thor or your own Gambit.
    Wait, what?  We are talking about gambit here, but i will bite.  Depending on who the other two are:

Panthos.  JJ/DD.   DD/5trange.  If i had him, SS/BB.  JJ/BB.  DD/thanos.  

Some matches will take longer, some would require health packs and some would really get you a retal on defense.  That's obviously not the point you are trying to make.  You want to know who wins? Me, 90+% of the time.  It's the costs that will be different.  

Thats why i like thor so much.  He has a great balance because he is strong without being overpowered on defense.  You have to bring him in at a disadvantage to get the best utility out of him.
    Most of those teams would get crushed by Gambit.  Yes he can be beaten by a handful of teams, but my guess is most people that don’t have Gambit probably don’t have Thor/JJ/Okoye either.

I have 6 champed 5’s, but they mostly older ones because I don’t like hoarding and spend CP on classics.  Yes I realize that wasn’t the best strategy, but I’m not the only one in my situation.  I can beat Gambit teams, but my loss rate and health pack usage is much higher than against any other opponent.  I’d rather hit a 480 Panthos than a 450 Gambit with any other 5.

The only unboosted team I have that stands a decent chance against Gambit is Hawkeye/Coulson, and that’s risky.  The only time I’m confident against a Gambit team is when Grocket or Peggy is boosted.  Grocket along with another boosted GotG can take him out before he gets going, and Peggy can slow him down enough.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Towards the end of last season I got really, really sick of skipping Gambit teams. It was a massive waste of time and iso, so I just started hitting them. And honestly... he's pretty weak on defense, given the right team. At the time  in pvp I was running Thor, AA (one of the most under-appreciated/over-looked chars, imo) and America (for shield).

They crushed him. Mass cascades, stuns, ap denial, near rainbow... and since many people use Gambit with Thor themselves, a large amount of the time Gambit doesn't even use his red. Saves it for Thor, who can typically also be stunned (or downed entirely*), by the time you've gotten rid of Gambit. 

This season I've switched to Thor and JJ, and I haven't lost to a Gambit team yet.

But the key point there is... given the right team. If you aren't fortunate enough to have gotten one of about 4 characters that can reliably take Gambit... I can only imagine how horrendous PvP is. Actually, I know how horrendous it is. And it isn't healthy for the game, to have people refusing to, or incapable of, playing half the content because of one character. 

I think the main problem with the discussion is we've been conditioned to fear nerfs, as many past nerfs have outright destroyed a character's usefulness. Gambit does need to come down a little, but we instinctively fear that - because in the past, the devs have swung wayyy too far in the opposite direction and suddenly a character is useless. With the time, effort and / or money invested in getting a 5* to a champed level, the fear compounds because a lot more work went into getting such a great character. To have him rendered useless would be crushing for many people.

For me, the question isn't really if he should be nerfed (yes), but how far will he be nerfed? 

---

* This being why Thor isn't actually OP or much of a threat. You really need different mindsets with Thor. On offence, awesome. On defense, pretty lackluster. 
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    Options
    A whole lot of people are overlooking the critical distinction between how a character performs on offense (player controlled) and how they perform on defense (AI controlled).

Thor being tossed around a lot here. Thor is easily top 2 characters in the game right now and is extremely powerful, but is balanced in a critical way that Gambit is not. Yes, on offense and played correctly, Thor can beat any team in the game, including Gambit.  However, on defense, Thor is a glass cannon beatable by literally any 5* team. Defensive Thor enters the fight at 100% hp, which means he does nothing for a long time unless you play very stupidly against him. Don’t believe me? Do that idiot thing I keep doing where I decide to deliberately let 60-100% Thor tank instead of retreating him to 50%. Guaranteed horrible match costing 1-3 health packs.

This is where Gambit stands alone. He’s powerful (maybe not the most powerful, but easily top tier) on offense, but on defense he’s extremely difficult to beat without either your own Gambit or Thor. There is no other 5* character that cannot easily and consistently be beaten by any 5* pairing. You might win one fight against Gambit with a gimmick team, stings, boosts, but there is absolutely no way you’re going to climb to 900-1200 in pvp off Gambit teams with DD/BP, SS/BB, or any of the other nonsense teams mentioned above without crazy luck and a Stark worth of health packs and boosts.

With Gambit being the most common character in PvP, players with Thor and/or Gambit are locked out of high-level pvp. With both of those characters in classics, it would cost approximately 36000 cp to pull 13 covers for either.  For the long term health of the game, this has to change.

There are players with 550 ThorBit teams and no third 550 5 to replace Gambit campaigning for a nerf for that very reason in this thread.  When someone who has spent thousands on a 550 Gambit with no obvious replacement rostered is begging for a self-nerf, that should speak volumes.
  • elko90
    elko90 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    A whole lot of people are overlooking the critical distinction between how a character performs on offense (player controlled) and how they perform on defense (AI controlled).

Thor being tossed around a lot here. Thor is easily top 2 characters in the game right now and is extremely powerful, but is balanced in a critical way that Gambit is not. Yes, on offense and played correctly, Thor can beat any team in the game, including Gambit.  However, on defense, Thor is a glass cannon beatable by literally any 5* team. Defensive Thor enters the fight at 100% hp, which means he does nothing for a long time unless you play very stupidly against him. Don’t believe me? Do that idiot thing I keep doing where I decide to deliberately let 60-100% Thor tank instead of retreating him to 50%. Guaranteed horrible match costing 1-3 health packs.

This is where Gambit stands alone. He’s powerful (maybe not the most powerful, but easily top tier) on offense, but on defense he’s extremely difficult to beat without either your own Gambit or Thor. There is no other 5* character that cannot easily and consistently be beaten by any 5* pairing. You might win one fight against Gambit with a gimmick team, stings, boosts, but there is absolutely no way you’re going to climb to 900-1200 in pvp off Gambit teams with DD/BP, SS/BB, or any of the other nonsense teams mentioned above without crazy luck and a Stark worth of health packs and boosts.

With Gambit being the most common character in PvP, players with Thor and/or Gambit are locked out of high-level pvp. With both of those characters in classics, it would cost approximately 36000 cp to pull 13 covers for either.  For the long term health of the game, this has to change.

There are players with 550 ThorBit teams and no third 550 5 to replace Gambit campaigning for a nerf for that very reason in this thread.  When someone who has spent thousands on a 550 Gambit with no obvious replacement rostered is begging for a self-nerf, that should speak volumes.
    As i said before an alliance mate beat me everytime with JJ and Cap(IW) my team was thor and gambit... it wasnt just one match it was 10 of them in succession and each and everytime he beat my thorbit team 

Edit: and matches were without boosts
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

I think he is a super strong character who could use a tweak, but it is not really that different from the panthos meta, where in order to do well you had to have the same team as a counter.  Someone is always going to be on top.
    You never needed Panthos in that meta.
    I ran Surfer Bolt for months, that team absolutely destroyed Panthos.
    Case in point.  You are right, i should have said "in order to do well, it helps to have them."  

Just like right now, you don't "need" gambit.  I dont use him and do just fine.  
    Name teams you beat similarly leveled Gambits with that don’t include Thor or your own Gambit.
    Wait, what?  We are talking about gambit here, but i will bite.  Depending on who the other two are:

Panthos.  JJ/DD.   DD/5trange.  If i had him, SS/BB.  JJ/BB.  DD/thanos.  

Some matches will take longer, some would require health packs and some would really get you a retal on defense.  That's obviously not the point you are trying to make.  You want to know who wins? Me, 90+% of the time.  It's the costs that will be different.  

Thats why i like thor so much.  He has a great balance because he is strong without being overpowered on defense.  You have to bring him in at a disadvantage to get the best utility out of him.
    Did you really just suggest using a team with Black Bolt against Gambit?  Interesting....

But with regards to Thor, the thing is that if you have someone to tank for him (i.e. Gambit 15 levels higher tanks red, or other characters similarly higher) there is no real disadvantage, just the 5ap+ a turn gain.  That's (but obviously) why he's so good and meshes so well with a variety of partners.
    I got the idea from bowgentle.  Like i said, it would depend on who the other two opponents were.  SS heals, so if you keep him out front when gambit is getting ready to fire his red, it wouldnt have as much of an impact.  Definitely wouldn't use it for a hop to get to 1200, but would certainly consider it on my climb to save health packs.
    Please don't tell people I said to bring not one but TWO charged tile makers against Gambit lol.

No, it's not a good idea and it won't work 80% of the time.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Reading this thread, it seems the problem is that gambit is so easy to use, even the AI can do it. Can we just nerf him so that when controlled by the AI he shoots himself in the face with his red? hahahaha
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    elko90 said:
    As i said before an alliance mate beat me everytime with JJ and Cap(IW) my team was thor and gambit... 
    They have about 2 months before both go to Classics. Okoye has a bit longer. If the solution for transitioning players is to get one or two latest 5*s so they could fight classic characters released over 9 months ago or get your own Gambit, something is not right.
    I'd also like to see them try to go from 900 to 1200 with Cap JJ.
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options

While I'm not near the 550 level, Gambit is my highest 5* at 472....  I completely agree with this. I've wanted Gambit nerfed since about week 1 of having him. He has absolutely ruined the game.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m not in the tier which is why I’m asking questions. Like I said, a lot of hyperbole running around from you can’t beat Gambit to I beat him all the time. Obviously both can’t be true.  What I know is:

Gambit’s AP gen condition is he stops buddies from firing active powers in two colors- but you’d never fire anyone else’s anyway. Thor’s AP gen condition is you need to have him half-health- but you’d never bring him at full health anyway.

Some people (not all) actually prefer to use other options over him because other options have trumped him in speed (mainly Thor)  And despite people ranking him #1 for PVE he really isn’t the best option there. 

While he’s beatable, he is annoying to face on defense and it might cost you considerable resources to beat him. 

Once he’s nerfed, some people (again, not all- but it has already happened in this thread) will be asking for Thor to be nerfed next. 

I believe these are all true statements. 

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I’m not in the tier which is why I’m asking questions. 

Well to be honest, you are not really asking questions, you are making a lot of uninformed statements, such as:

That Thor blade is way taller than the others. And unlike Gambit he’s best for PVE AND PVP meaning he dominates the entire game and not just one game mode.
    Once in the match there are no conditions to his AP gen and he’s just as powerful as Gambit. So... nerf? I mean he seems to be a pretty big advantage against those who don’t have him. Way more so when Gambit is gutted. 
    So the issue isn’t that he’s head and shoulders better than everyone else on offense (as Thor will be post nerf), and that those who have him will be better than everyone else.

I don't know anyone deep into the 5* tier that thinks Thor dominates the entire game, even after Gambit's impending nerf. I can only assume you are theorizing this as you're not in the tier and have never used a champed Thor in PVE or PVP. There are many better/faster options in PVE. And saying Thor is a big advantage against those who don't have him is, again... completely your opinion and not based on anything. Please listen to the masses here: Thor is not difficult to beat--with ANY team, including boosted 4*'s. Those who have Thor, post-nerf, will NOT be better than everyone else. 5* players will once again have options.

Please just stop. You're out of your element and spewing non-truths all over the place.
    Smokey is 100% correct here.  Thor is not bad, You just have to no how to handle him.  There is no need to nerf him.  While he might be near the  top of the 5* then, he is NOT the meta that Gambit is.  There is a huge differance.  
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It’s weird that you responded to the intro of my most recent post but none of the content in it after. Is anything in my most recent post concerning Gambit (and I guess Thor) false or no? Like I said, I believe they’re true based on what others are saying but if I’m wrong please correct me. 

Smokey is 100% correct here.  Thor is not bad, You just have to no how to handle him.  There is no need to nerf him.  While he might be near the  top of the 5* then, he is NOT the meta that Gambit is.  There is a huge differance.  
    This is on defense where you’re saying he’s not a problem though right? I get Thor is easily beatable. On offense he’ll be the best character for PVE (though Thanos is still there with him) and PVP due to the AP gen, cascades, and no limitations on who can fire active powers?
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It’s weird that you responded to the intro of my most recent post but none of the content in it after. Is anything in my most recent post concerning Gambit (and I guess Thor) false or no? Like I said, I believe they’re true based on what others are saying but if I’m wrong please correct me. 

This is on defense where you’re saying he’s not a problem though right? I get Thor is easily beatable. On offense he’ll be the best character for PVE (though Thanos is still there with him) and PVP due to the AP gen, cascades, and no limitations on who can fire active powers?
    Thanos, Rockett and Groot Plus a GOTG.  That is the fastest team that I have seen so far most of the time, but for pve I will burn all my health packs and buy if needed.  I really don’t care since it is all about speed and nothing else.  Now depending on the node, other teams can be faster than that one.  Thor 1/2 could be in there but he isn’t the fastest hands down. You need a 3 person team for it to work.  You have to protect Thor so you don’t lose him so you have to play smart in pve when using a 1/2 Thor.  
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I’m sorry but “just give us more good characters” or “this Latest Legend is a good counter” are garbage arguments when it comes to fixing a broken play environment.  How are you supposed to get said characters if you can’t reliably pick up rewards in PvP?  

Your argument amounts to “Suck it up and get your teeth kicked in for months while you collect CP, and hope the 5* you dump all your resources into A: is the right one and B: you actually pull the right covers to champ.”
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't have experience with playing at the 5* tier, but having people talk about a "single best character" sounds quite boring to me.

A system where there is no single best character sounds a lot more interesting to me: I'd prefer a system where each character is strong against some and weak against others.  That would encourage diversity in the teams people put forward, since if any one character becomes too popular it will encourage people to use a second, etc.  If you are entering the tier and only have one or two characters, you should still be able to find matches where those characters are a good choice.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It seems strange to me that some would quit the game if they rebalanced Gambit again. It'll be your loss at the end of the day. If you don't want your points and prizes I'll gladly have them instead :lol:
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It seems strange to me that some would quit the game if they rebalanced Gambit again. It'll be your loss at the end of the day. If you don't want your points and prizes I'll gladly have them instead :lol:
    A lot of 5* players have Gambit as their highest level character, either through luck, hoard breaking, or spending. Some also took advantage of a couple of bugs that aren’t really worth discussing here again.

Some of those players may have skipped later characters because they paled in comparison to Gambit. (Or because they weren’t very good.)

If Godbit becomes just one of the crowd, that means you spent lots of resources on someone that is basically now as good as someone you skipped or just barely covered.  Not a good feeling.

Not to mention that your team composition and who you have been running, strategically built around Gambit in some cases, is out the window and you may not be able to be as competitive now.

After the rug is pulled out from under someone, quitting might be a good option.