New Gambit nerf

Options
123457»

Comments

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    It seems strange to me that some would quit the game if they rebalanced Gambit again. It'll be your loss at the end of the day. If you don't want your points and prizes I'll gladly have them instead :lol:
    A lot of 5* players have Gambit as their highest level character, either through luck, hoard breaking, or spending. Some also took advantage of a couple of bugs that aren’t really worth discussing here again.

Some of those players may have skipped later characters because they paled in comparison to Gambit. (Or because they weren’t very good.)

If Godbit becomes just one of the crowd, that means you spent lots of resources on someone that is basically now as good as someone you skipped or just barely covered.  Not a good feeling.

Not to mention that your team composition and who you have been running, strategically built around Gambit in some cases, is out the window and you may not be able to be as competitive now.

After the rug is pulled out from under someone, quitting might be a good option.

I'm sorry, but i have to strongly disagree.  

The rug will not be pulled out from under anyone.  First, if they are playing "competitive," to the point where they build their team around gambit(who strategically builds a team under RNG?), then they have known since he first came out and was originally reworked, that (a lot of) veterans and high level players have called for him to be reworked again.

Secondly, he wouldn't be the first game changing nerf, either.  Again, anyone who plays high level has been around long enough to live threw a couple nerfs, not to mention that most nerf threads, including this one, bring up the prior and numerous nerfs.  If you build a great team without looking into the history of what happened to previous metas, that's on you.

If you want to invest time and resources into into a volatile commodity, especially ones that have been proven time and again to be changed, you can't claim to be surprised.  You want to dislike the change, go ahead.  I just disagree that you get to be surprised about it.
  • Moskole
    Moskole Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If they do not nerf Gambit, they should make him available to everyone somehow at a reasonable price. Right now I am loaded with CP and LL tokens but I will not enter 5* country until Gambit is fixed.

Someone mentioned R&G in 4* land as a similar issue, but it is not. So many ways to beat them and you see many other teams in PvP as it is right now.
    This game is most fun, when there is freedom to think new
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    It seems strange to me that some would quit the game if they rebalanced Gambit again. It'll be your loss at the end of the day. If you don't want your points and prizes I'll gladly have them instead :lol:
    A lot of 5* players have Gambit as their highest level character, either through luck, hoard breaking, or spending. Some also took advantage of a couple of bugs that aren’t really worth discussing here again.

Some of those players may have skipped later characters because they paled in comparison to Gambit. (Or because they weren’t very good.)

If Godbit becomes just one of the crowd, that means you spent lots of resources on someone that is basically now as good as someone you skipped or just barely covered.  Not a good feeling.

Not to mention that your team composition and who you have been running, strategically built around Gambit in some cases, is out the window and you may not be able to be as competitive now.

After the rug is pulled out from under someone, quitting might be a good option.

I spent 720 CP to finish Logan a month before they kneecapped him.  I never once thought about quitting.  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It appears my word choice - "pull the rug out" - was not the best one, but I still believe that some players could feel that they had their plans derailed or something, and feel like quitting.  That's up to them.  Another take is that they would just feel like they don't want to build up another character now/in the near future that ends up being nerfed later, and they are tired of dancing to the devs' tunes, and move on.

I was mostly addressing the question of how someone could feel that they should quit after a nerf.  I personally don't feel that I will stop playing or feel that a nerf is/would be unexpected.  It's seemed needed to me for 8 months.

Honestly, I don't care if someone quits over a nerf or not. Some players may quit, others will come back or keep going if Gambit isn't the nearly-required 5 for PVP.

Now, how a nerf affects spending is a different matter that I can't predict exactly.  I believe a lot of whales will be happy to see Gambit go, so probably things will continue as is, other than general boredom with the game overall leading to a slow exodus of vets.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, it's in, and it's bad.  >sigh<  The black needed nerfing, and the purple probably did too (it shut down too many other characters,) but they did the red some huge damage as well.  I think he's now low tier.

I mean, I'm happy I'll be able to play other characters, but I was hoping to play him a little...
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Most Vets will agree that a nerf to Gambit is welcome. The question is why they keep tearing their top characters down to bottom tier instead of just balancing them. 
    Biggest problem with Gambit was his AP generation/destruction. His purple was mean but far second to that.
    His red was great but no problem really.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Most Vets will agree that a nerf to Gambit is welcome. The question is why they keep tearing their top characters down to bottom tier instead of just balancing them. 
    Biggest problem with Gambit was his AP generation/destruction. His purple was mean but far second to that.
    His red was great but no problem really.
    That's what stings about this balance, he went from 2 good and one great power to having 1 ok and 2 meh. His purple will still be alright. He just too many other negatives to even be mid tier now.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I really, really hope they consider freeing up the character restriction and allow others to fire red and purple. His purple will still be good on some teams, but his other powers are hot garbage now. I welcome the "re-balance", but think they went too far.