Latest Legends 5-Star Cover Exchanges *Updated (6/15/18)

Options

Comments

• PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not sure if I understand...If I have a 5* Gambit at 4/0/1 can I ask support to switch it to 1/2/2?

Or is it if I have 4 yellow Okoye covers on the vine, I can ask to change that to 1 yellow, 2 red and 1 black?
    No. If you have a dupe classic rostered they will break it down into the covers again.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not sure if I understand...If I have a 5* Gambit at 4/0/1 can I ask support to switch it to 1/2/2?

Or is it if I have 4 yellow Okoye covers on the vine, I can ask to change that to 1 yellow, 2 red and 1 black?

No, if you ask to have Gambit broken up you will receive 4 Purple covers and 1 black.

This is meant for those who rostered duplicate fivestars instead of just Selling the extra covers off. If I had saved all the extra green Phoenix covers I got Before I could champ her and built a second Phoenix with just green covers I could now get those covers back and apply them as champion levels.

• General_Tojo
    General_Tojo Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ah got it thanks guys!
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Out of curiosity (as I am nowhere having this problem and with recent changes likely never will) for those that created dupe 5*s, what was your best-case hope for doing so?
    Did you actually intend to use more that one? To ultimately champ and sell your dupe? Or maybe, just maybe, have the devs create some sort of "reshuffle" option like they (albeit one time only) just have? 
    In other words is this the best-case scenario you envisioned, better, or something undesired completely?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I would have done the same thing you did with that hard earned extra 5* cover (I'm nowhere near having an extra and I've never sold one yet, though my roster might indicate that maybe I should have, to open up more slots), but I'd love to hear the advanced players' thought process behind this original strategy and now the subsequent developments. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Out of curiosity (as I am nowhere having this problem and with recent changes likely never will) for those that created dupe 5*s, what was your best-case hope for doing so?
    Did you actually intend to use more that one? To ultimately champ and sell your dupe? Or maybe, just maybe, have the devs create some sort of "reshuffle" option like they (albeit one time only) just have? 
    In other words is this the best-case scenario you envisioned, better, or something undesired completely?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I would have done the same thing you did with that hard earned extra 5* cover (I'm nowhere near having an extra and I've never sold one yet, though my roster might indicate that maybe I should have, to open up more slots), but I'd love to hear the advanced players' thought process behind this original strategy and now the subsequent developments. 

First, obviously, you need to feel that you can buy that roster slot.  Once you are keeping up, and you pull(ed) a dupe 5, you had two choices:

1.  Sell for 2000 iso one of the hardest to get items in the game (a 5* cover), which you played for days or weeks to get.  2000 iso is basically insulting to a lot of players, since you get 1000 for a 4, which you get approximately 6X as often.

2.  Roster the character in hopes that the devs rebalance that character.  When that has happened before, players have sometimes received a token for a store where you could pull a different 5* cover.   So that was a hope.

3.  Some might have leveled their dupe to use in the game, but it's unclear how many did that.

The worst case scenario might be selling the cover later and getting nothing more out of it.  This is pretty much a best-case scenario that we have today, given that 5's are almost never reworked and the conditions surrounding that rebalance vary a lot.

• Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bowla33 said:
    *SNIP*
    Can we please just take a step back from the outrage in this thread and acknowledge that the critical new feature here isn't the exchanging, it's the saving? The whole point is that you no longer have to throw covers away for paltry Iso rewards. Save them and wait until the next cover you need comes around.
    You're assuming you even manage to pull 5 covers for a single 5*. Something RNG invalidates with every character release. 

There is no issue with this feature except for the fact that 5* - classic dilution renders it useless and latest tokens are now worse by half. 

Facts and features are not always positive. 
    If I can be a bit twee for a moment, you are correct, facts are not always positive, but they are always facts.

I can see now that I breezed past the main thesis of my argument a bit too quickly for the audience. The odds of getting 5 covers are irrelevant, because the point of this system isn't trading. It's saving.

You can think this through with 3 covers. Or 2. Or 1. The point is, if you get an unusable cover, you no longer lose it. You tuck it safely away until you champ the character. It's not a lost opportunity anymore.

Does it mean you no longer get immediate gratification from that cover? Sure. But that was already gonna happen. The handwriting was on the wall that the CS swaps were going away. You haven't lost anything that you weren't already going to lose; the point is that you were given something in exchange to keep you from having wasted covers. Plus a bonus feature that if you have the extraordinary bad luck to pull 5 unusable covers, you can choose (that word again) to swap them for a usable one.

And to touch on a later comment, no, I'm not a solid 5* player yet, but I have a few 5* characters with 5 covers in a color, and I have gotten unusable covers because of it. I'm happy with this new system, because it means that won't happen again.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    OJSP said:
    Historically, when a character is rebalanced, we could sell them for special tokens (OML and Gambit so far). I’ve sold several duplicate characters before OML was reworked, but since then I’ve kept all of my duplicates just in case they could be worth something than just iso.

That and I would have a head-start when the original gets to lvl 550. :lol:
    Yep I did it thinking they may get rebalanced and I’d get a token or at least something better than 2k ISO.  Unfortunately that means I kept dupes of the **** ones and sold off a few Thanos and Hawkeye covers I wish I had back.  Oh well, I’ll take what I can  get.
  • Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Sim Mayor said:

*SNIP*

Plus a bonus feature that if you have the extraordinary bad luck to pull 5 unusable covers, you can choose (that word again) to swap them for a usable one.

Plus, you would actually need the extraordinary bad luck to pull six unusable covers before you're actually confronted with the choice between converting your unusable covers or selling the sixth.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    moss04 said:
    The thing about this change that non-5-star players may not realize is that in the old system (with 1:1 cover swaps for latest -which I think was around for at least 2 years), a player that was mildly competitive in PvE and PvP and had most of the 4 star tier championed could earn enough from rewards and champion levels to have a pretty good chance of championing each new latest just before they leave and become impossible to finish due to dilution.  Now with that that change, it may very well be that the most likely scenario is you don't have to actually exchange 5 covers for 1, but they just act as a buffer, but needing to instead earn 17-18 covers to finish a character instead of 13 means that really is no longer possible.  The only ways to make that up are:
    1. Start spending thousands of dollars in buy clubs.  Maybe a few will be baited into this action, but most probably won't.  If you are wealthy enough to whale, odds are you are already doing it.  Most others just simply cannot afford this solution, and either cannot take it, or due to addiction will have a limited time to pursue it before they lose their houses and their families.
    2. Start hoarding again, and skip characters that don't appear to be good enough to be part of the meta.  This isn't very fun.  Saving up CP and tokens in between each 5 star release builds anticipation.  Saving up for 6 months hoping nobody good is released while still building your hoard and/or just idly waiting for the right three in latest once you have enough can become a major grind that reduces anticipation, paces intermediary progress (on new or farming 4 stars) to a slow crawl, and makes the game less fun.
    3. Start chasing classics instead.  If you do this you just accept that it will literally take years to acquire new characters because the dilution is so high.  And that rate will only slow down as the game progresses because it is not like you can trade in covers for characters that you've already championed.
    Maybe option 3 is the way it was always supposed to be.  Maybe it was always supposed to take years to build up new additions to a 5 star roster.  But the fact of the matter is that it hasn't been, whether it has been 6 months or 2 years since a given player has entered into the 5 star meta.  If a player has been making progress on their roster for a significant amount of time and now finds that they no longer can, they simply won't continue to play.  Maybe the game and the rest of the community is okay with that...  That certainly seems to be the position of those arguing that the 1:1 exchange rate should go away because it was always generous/temporary (for 2+ years).  But if it isn't okay there is probably only 2 real solutions:
    1. Keep the exchange rate at 1:1 for Latest Legends but implemented through the new feature instead by customer service.
    2. Slow down the release of new 5 star characters.  I think it is currently a 6 week schedule (?) and would probably need to become a 10 week schedule in order to accommodate earning the extra covers.
    Perfectly stated 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    moss04 said:
    The thing about this change that non-5-star players may not realize is that in the old system (with 1:1 cover swaps for latest -which I think was around for at least 2 years), a player that was mildly competitive in PvE and PvP and had most of the 4 star tier championed could earn enough from rewards and champion levels to have a pretty good chance of championing each new latest just before they leave and become impossible to finish due to dilution.  Now with that that change, it may very well be that the most likely scenario is you don't have to actually exchange 5 covers for 1, but they just act as a buffer, but needing to instead earn 17-18 covers to finish a character instead of 13 means that really is no longer possible.  The only ways to make that up are:
    1. Start spending thousands of dollars in buy clubs.  Maybe a few will be baited into this action, but most probably won't.  If you are wealthy enough to whale, odds are you are already doing it.  Most others just simply cannot afford this solution, and either cannot take it, or due to addiction will have a limited time to pursue it before they lose their houses and their families.
    2. Start hoarding again, and skip characters that don't appear to be good enough to be part of the meta.  This isn't very fun.  Saving up CP and tokens in between each 5 star release builds anticipation.  Saving up for 6 months hoping nobody good is released while still building your hoard and/or just idly waiting for the right three in latest once you have enough can become a major grind that reduces anticipation, paces intermediary progress (on new or farming 4 stars) to a slow crawl, and makes the game less fun.
    3. Start chasing classics instead.  If you do this you just accept that it will literally take years to acquire new characters because the dilution is so high.  And that rate will only slow down as the game progresses because it is not like you can trade in covers for characters that you've already championed.
    Maybe option 3 is the way it was always supposed to be.  Maybe it was always supposed to take years to build up new additions to a 5 star roster.  But the fact of the matter is that it hasn't been, whether it has been 6 months or 2 years since a given player has entered into the 5 star meta.  If a player has been making progress on their roster for a significant amount of time and now finds that they no longer can, they simply won't continue to play.  Maybe the game and the rest of the community is okay with that...  That certainly seems to be the position of those arguing that the 1:1 exchange rate should go away because it was always generous/temporary (for 2+ years).  But if it isn't okay there is probably only 2 real solutions:
    1. Keep the exchange rate at 1:1 for Latest Legends but implemented through the new feature instead by customer service.
    2. Slow down the release of new 5 star characters.  I think it is currently a 6 week schedule (?) and would probably need to become a 10 week schedule in order to accommodate earning the extra covers.
    It's no different at the 4* tier.  In fact you can now cover a new 5 in Latests faster than a new 4*.  As a 4* player, I used to be able to keep up with the 4* release and champ them (iso and how much of my hoard I open permitting) in a few weeks.  Now it is going to take forever! This is just the way it is now.  The game has decided to slow progress at all levels with these changes. Not a whole lot we can do about it but adjust and focus more on building the characters we have up and riding with them instead of chasing new shinies.  I agree it sucks but it pretty much sucks for anyone beyond the 3* tier.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    moss04 said:
    It's no different at the 4* tier.  In fact you can now cover a new 5 in Latests faster than a new 4*.  As a 4* player, I used to be able to keep up with the 4* release and champ them (iso and how much of my hoard I open permitting) in a few weeks.  Now it is going to take forever! This is just the way it is now.  The game has decided to slow progress at all levels with these changes. Not a whole lot we can do about it but adjust and focus more on building the characters we have up and riding with them instead of chasing new shinies.  I agree it sucks but it pretty much sucks for anyone beyond the 3* tier.
    Just BH the 4 you want to cover, it's still very fast.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    moss04 said:
    BH 4*'s are so rare for me and I use a lot of CP and LT tokens. I get more BH 4*'s from heroics than I do from the Latest and Classic stores. BH 3*'s are amazing though. I get those a whole lot. More than once or twice per day sometimes.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    moss04 said:
    The thing about this change that non-5-star players may not realize is that in the old system (with 1:1 cover swaps for latest -which I think was around for at least 2 years), a player that was mildly competitive in PvE and PvP and had most of the 4 star tier championed could earn enough from rewards and champion levels to have a pretty good chance of championing each new latest just before they leave and become impossible to finish due to dilution.  Now with that changed, it may very well be that the most likely scenario is you don't have to actually exchange 5 covers for 1, but they just act as a buffer. However, needing to instead earn 17-18 covers to finish a character instead of 13 means that really is no longer possible.  
    This statement is incorrect.  It is literally still possible to get a character with 300 or fewer latest if you get the correct 13, good odds, ect.  The cover requirement didn't go up but you now have a safety net for mistakes that could lead to it taking more than 13.  What I believe you meant is it's less of a certainty that you can champ every one with those same number, but it's certainly not 'literally no longer possible'.

The question I ask is should it be guarantee that they can?  For the record I'm speaking of a player who has champed all but 2 of the last 7 before they left latest (DD - LumberCap, AA & GRRR were the missed but they were close).  I don't think that should be a guarantee.  Especially in a world where 5* feeder, 5* H4H deals, and Saved covers exist.  It leads to players that don't feel they need to support the game financially (which like it or not someone does or it goes away) and leads to people that get everyone champed and then get bored and move on.  As much as I've been very vocal against RNG it's a necessary piece of the game.  Now I think it should have a safety net so it doesn't get out of control and I list 3 newish safety nets to replace the old ridiculously overly generous and labor intensive service.

Ultimately all this backlash proves to me is that D3 should have never offered the service in the first place.  This would be applauded from the heavens (and likely is by those ignorant to the old semi-secret deal) had it not been taken away a broken service that never should have existed in the first place.
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    moss04 said:
    *SNIP*

Maybe it was always supposed to take years to build up new additions to a 5 star roster.  But the fact of the matter is that it hasn't been, whether it has been 6 months or 2 years since a given player has entered into the 5 star meta.  If a player has been making progress on their roster for a significant amount of time and now finds that they no longer can, they simply won't continue to play.  Maybe the game and the rest of the community is okay with that...  That certainly seems to be the position of those arguing that the 1:1 exchange rate should go away because it was always generous/temporary (for 2+ years).  But if it isn't okay there is probably only 2 real solutions:
    Here's where we agree. I think the 5* transition was supposed to be slower. Keeping the exchange policy for so long artificially inflated the number of players who could compete in 5* play, which is why this is causing so much heartburn amongst people at that level.

It's also why someone like me who is nudging up against 5* play keeps seeing hordes of champed Thorbit players in PvP. Too many people cracked their hordes for the latest meta, knowing they could swap unusable covers. Without that safety net, there'd be more players who a) only had partially covered Thorbits, or b) had to spend so much of their hordes for those covers that they don't have the next couple 5*s fully covered. And before you say "Exactly!" please understand that this would improve the game. These people wouldn't be acting as a barrier to anyone moving up from 4* play.

That being said, I completely get why this feels like something is being taken away from you. It absolutely is. If it's something that causes you to leave the game, I'll be sad to see you go. I probably haven't run into you in-game, but I always appreciate having people on the forums who can debate an issue they feel passionately about without getting personal / nasty about it. But this is a change that's going to help a lot more people than it hurts, and I think the devs recognized that when they designed it.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Let's face it, the issue really is not the new feature, which most people think is good but the fact that they really made it nearly impossible to cover latest legend 5* characters in a reasonable amount of pulls for most players.  If they simply changed the cost of the swaps - 1:1 on 5* characters (like CS covers swap was....hmmm....big stretch there or even 2:1 since it would encompass all 5*), 3:1 on 4* characters, 4:1 on 3* characters and 5:1 on 2* characters, I think most people would be in favor of this change.  With 5* dilution, this should be how the devs/publishers address the ability of players to move into the 5* realm.  It is simply another way in which this game has historically over valued what the real in-game value of a cover (for any particular level) is worth.  The game has needed additional ways for players to earn 5* covers for some time now.  This would be a great way to do it without drastically changing the game at once.  This would then allow them to work on 6* (not joking at all btw as it will be coming in one form or another when SCL 10 opens up).  
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pants1000 said:
    OJSP said:
    Historically, when a character is rebalanced, we could sell them for special tokens (OML and Gambit so far). I’ve sold several duplicate characters before OML was reworked, but since then I’ve kept all of my duplicates just in case they could be worth something than just iso.

That and I would have a head-start when the original gets to lvl 550. :lol:
    Yep I did it thinking they may get rebalanced and I’d get a token or at least something better than 2k ISO.  Unfortunately that means I kept dupes of the tinykitty ones and sold off a few Thanos and Hawkeye covers I wish I had back.  Oh well, I’ll take what I can  get.
    Sounds like a heck of a guessing game!
    "No More Guns-like" tokens would only come in a rebalance considered a significant nerf. I don't envy those of you who had to decide what to dupe hoping that char would become the new meta-driven Bering victim. Though, I assume, some would obviously never meet that criteria.
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    moss04 said:

That's a good joke. I've had 7 4* BH (1 5*) since I started tracking my pulls a while back, and I'm sure I wasn't getting them any quicker before I was tracking them. I'm at 392 pulls right now. There's nothing fast about that.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    ZeiramMR said:
    You all should be careful what you wish for regarding changing the saved cover ratios.

Right now, you can save 5 covers and if you get a 6th unusable cover, you have two weeks to decide between doing the swap ("losing" 4 covers in the process) or tossing the 6th cover in hopes of pulling the color(s) with less ranks. If they reduce that ratio to something other than 1:1, you have less of a safety net and the likelihood of "losing"  potential champ levels is much more likely.

And I don't see them changing it to 1:1; that was one of the reasons they kept calling cover swaps temporary on the CS messages.
    Can we have his “insight” changed to “precognition”?