Story Event Minimum Points - Trial Run (3/9/18)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    In pve, I usually play 4.8 unless I have the boosted 5* and then I go to 4.9.  I typically rank t10-t25 generally.  In this current pve, I'm ranked solid t5 and have finished both subs 3rd.  I don't think it's a coincidence that my placement has improved with all the nodes going to 0. I think this test worked the way it was intended and hope they go back to it soon. 
  • Kmjakob
    Kmjakob Posts: 105 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I was same rank as before i did not see any diffrent did also get max reward too on the 3 day
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So I did my final clears on sub 3 and ended 5 min early.  I took about 50 min to close and dropped from 3rd overall to 7th.  Th overall difference was the players who passed me must have closed i a much faster time than me.  Overall his was a lot higher than I normally place.

my overall impression is MEH.  I did try to play more efficiently as a lot of times I will close a little early.  I placed higher because of it.  The only issue I see is if you start late because of something called life and you are behind in a bracket and want to do well you are at the mercy of others making a mistake  or closing slowly like I did.  I don’t know if this would be good or bad but I can see players giving up knowing there is almost no way to catch a lot of people in front of you.  Overall if they make the change I will not be excited or upset and my play style will remain the same.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I believe tapping has been replaced by speed and hitting the nodes at exactly the right time. I guess that's a small improvement.
    Personally it hasnt affected me much. I placed about the same as i usually do (if i have all essentials). Only minor downer was placing 52 on day 3 :(
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby  Will the upcoming DPvMPQ event be another trial or will scoring follow the existing rules?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Brigby  Will the upcoming DPvMPQ event be another trial or will scoring follow the existing rules?
    As of this moment, I'm unaware of any other events that are scheduled to be a trial run for this system.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I really liked the test run. It made the event more exciting for me
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby, why was this a trial and not just the new scoring?  Tapping is awful, and having the minimum scores go to 0 fixes it with no negative side effects.  Just make the change permanent already.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Brigby, why was this a trial and not just the new scoring?  Tapping is awful, and having the minimum scores go to 0 fixes it with no negative side effects.  Just make the change permanent already.
    I'm not a developer, but I would imagine they just want to make sure all their bases are covered by reviewing the results of the trial first before making any decisions.
  • IceHockey333
    IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @Brigby, why was this a trial and not just the new scoring?  Tapping is awful, and having the minimum scores go to 0 fixes it with no negative side effects.  Just make the change permanent already.
    Because “tapping is awful” and “no negative side effects” are personal perceptions. Not necessarily true for the entire community.

The vocal majority on this message board is not the actual player base.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since they are experimenting, that's why it's a trial. Based on the feedbacks in in this forum, it seems like many players are happy about it. But, we also have players who are not happy about it. I'm wondering if tapping happens at SCL 7/8/9 only? I don't think I saw tapping in SCL 6 before. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While some players like tapping because it gives them a chance to overcome roster shortcomings through time spent in game, the developers disagree, it would seem, or they would not have started the process to develop a new scoring system.

As many have pointed out, the forum is not all players, not even close.  However, they are very engaged, which makes their opinions very important.  But, but:  The opinions are not going to ever be sufficient to make the developers make changes, alone.  They will look at the data they have - which will be a much better source of information - and look to the forum or other feedback sources to help explain what they are seeing.

Since the developers have begun this testing process, it is safe to assume that they do not believe it is good for the game to have tapping as a tool to overcome the timer/scoring system.  The scoring system is set up with the rules they believe is best for the game (at least for now), and tapping is an attempt to break those rules and impose a new set of rules in order to win.

It is widely reported that tapping has been increasing - a tapping war, as it were - over time.  Perhaps if just a few players had been tapping on rare occasions, the developers would have left the scoring system alone.  But whatever internal number is "too much" has been passed (I can only assume), and the work is being done to correct the problem - which again, I assume, is a problem to the developers as well as to many top players.

What tapping says to the players who don't tap is this: "You might as well not bother trying to win unless you have hours and hours of time to devote to playing a node over and over."  That is not the message that the developers want to have out there as the method to win, it would seem.  The time requirements to do well in this game are already pretty hefty; having them grow further and further is not a good way to grow your playerbase.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm very happy with the results of these tests.   
    The solution seems to work unless someone has done the math and proven that tapping is still superior.