Story Event Minimum Points - Trial Run (3/9/18)

Options

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Brigby serious question with this.  I know you and your team would like feed back for this PVE and what the players are seeing.  How would you like this reported?  Here?  Another thread?  PM’s?  Emails?  Just curious. 
    If it's just one or two areas you or anyone else would like to specifically discuss, then having separate threads for them would work fine. If there are multiple topics though, then compiling them in one single thread would probably be better, as it would allow for easy searching for both players and developers. Alternatively, creating a master thread that has links to each of those individual topics would accomplish the same goal.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great.  Thanks.  
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    About damn time
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No tapping is great, but how do you guys propose to take into account people that play on different devices and their speeds?  Meaning, Colog in one of his threads said he uses fiberoptics for his internet which is hell of faster than my cable which is hell of faster than dsl.  Also, I just a Samsung 7 edge...fairly fast, but not as fast as a s9 or the Iphone X etc, and I know some that are using older phones which will be super slow because of it (comparatively).  Some play on computer through stream accounts and I don't know if that makes it faster than phone.  Will that be addressed, @Brigby?  Some of these may be unintended consequences and since top 5 is usually a very tight bracket, milliseconds will count.  Will we need to update our phones every few months to stay on top?  What if we don't have fiberoptics offered in our area?  Also, sometimes a simple end cascade (the ones that players seem to get where 1 move will win, but a cascade happens and they amass 40 ap that they don't need) may drop a player in ranking...will there be a button to press to end the game without watching the whole cascade (Candy Crush has this).  Just something to think about.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    grunth13 said:
    No tapping is great, but how do you guys propose to take into account people that play on different devices and their speeds?  Meaning, Colog in one of his threads said he uses fiberoptics for his internet which is hell of faster than my cable which is hell of faster than dsl.  Also, I just a Samsung 7 edge...fairly fast, but not as fast as a s9 or the Iphone X etc, and I know some that are using older phones which will be super slow because of it (comparatively).  Some play on computer through stream accounts and I don't know if that makes it faster than phone.  Will that be addressed, @Brigby?  Some of these may be unintended consequences and since top 5 is usually a very tight bracket, milliseconds will count.  Will we need to update our phones every few months to stay on top?  What if we don't have fiberoptics offered in our area?  Also, sometimes a simple end cascade (the ones that players seem to get where 1 move will win, but a cascade happens and they amass 40 ap that they don't need) may drop a player in ranking...will there be a button to press to end the game without watching the whole cascade (Candy Crush has this).  Just something to think about.

How are the devs supposed to address the speed of the multiple different devices that players use?

• Jomu5
    Jomu5 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is such an experimental and outlandish step, I'm glad they are just trialling it in a single event. 
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    grunth13 said:
    Short of not measuring winning by speed, there is absolutely nothing the devs can do to address this. Because the person with the faster device/service, has just as much opportunity to tap for extra as you do. Possibly even more since they can clear all those seconds (and maybe a whole minute) faster.

This is a "let it go" thing. If you have a good roster, you should be fine most of the time. You at least have the possibility of getting a better board setup than they do and being able to finish 20 seconds ahead of them because you were able to gain ap faster/not have your strike/attack tiles killed off in an enemy cascade and so on.
  • grunth13
    Options
    grunth13 said:

How are the devs supposed to address the speed of the multiple different devices that players use?

Is it really the end of the world if you don't place T5? It looks like you have kids, I would focus on them more than worrying about trying to place T5.

I'm sorry that my life choices don't align to your preconceived morality, but these are questions that other players will also have eventually.  Its best for them to be looking into it and see if there is anything they can do about it.  Someone in the past proposed a internal stopwatch to see how long your game actually takes without the loading and unloading of the game...maybe that might work.  As I said, Candy Crush has a button at the end of a match that stops all the cascades once the match is won...maybe they can implement that.  This thread is to discuss the changes and try to make things better, please explain to me and the rest of forum, what your comment added to this discussion?
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How about it's a trial and we see how it goes?
  • grunth13
    edited March 2018
    Options
    New McG said:
    grunth13 said:
    I think you are vastly exaggerating the closeness involved. "Milliseconds"? Really?

I play on a decently powered phone, on a slower end DSL connection, and I will still often end my initial clears in first or second. The ones that catch up aren't lagging behind by seconds, it's minutes.

Over the course of several days worth of play, it isn't a matter of seconds that make or break placement. It's the best timing on final clears, and/or the dedication to tap nodes (until this test). If I blow the timing on my clears, (like I did last night due to playing Monster Hunter and taking about 10 minutes too long on that) I blow my placement. Dropped from second to 12th, but not by a matter of "seconds". I left hundreds of points on the table, and would have needed probably 10 minutes to clear what I missed and maintain that top 2 spot.

I am typically in the "top placement" tier you're referring to, and can plainly state that "milliseconds" as a difference may be the most outrageous statement I've seen in a long time, on a forum that generally leans toward the hyperbolic.
    That is fair.  Can I ask what CL you play?  Do you prejoin or wait for a flip or do you try to snipe a bracket at the end?  The reason I ask is because cl 1-8 do not have the mythical legendary token so there is not a huge difference in personal rewards from 1st to say top 25 or even top 50.  In CL 9, only the top 5 get the legendary token.  I try to prejoin each event so that my alliance can get as many points as possible to try and get the top 10 reward which is also a legendary token.  In my experience, in cl 9 in slice 4, on a prejoin bracket, about 10 to 15 people are usually striving for that top 5 placement for the legendary token.  Meaning they are all starting right at the beginning, they are all going balls to the walls to finish first (this will be more likely now that you can't make up points) to get the millisecond or just 1-5 seconds early refresh in points.  Again, you could be right, but this is my experience.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i never saw anything wrong with tapping, if someone want to play that much let them reap the rewards.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    grunth13 said:
    New McG said:
    grunth13 said:
    I think you are vastly exaggerating the closeness involved. "Milliseconds"? Really?

I play on a decently powered phone, on a slower end DSL connection, and I will still often end my initial clears in first or second. The ones that catch up aren't lagging behind by seconds, it's minutes.

Over the course of several days worth of play, it isn't a matter of seconds that make or break placement. It's the best timing on final clears, and/or the dedication to tap nodes (until this test). If I blow the timing on my clears, (like I did last night due to playing Monster Hunter and taking about 10 minutes too long on that) I blow my placement. Dropped from second to 12th, but not by a matter of "seconds". I left hundreds of points on the table, and would have needed probably 10 minutes to clear what I missed and maintain that top 2 spot.

I am typically in the "top placement" tier you're referring to, and can plainly state that "milliseconds" as a difference may be the most outrageous statement I've seen in a long time, on a forum that generally leans toward the hyperbolic.
    That is fair.  Can I ask what CL you play?  Do you prejoin or wait for a flip or do you try to snipe a bracket at the end?  The reason I ask is because cl 1-8 do not have the mythical legendary token so there is not a huge difference in personal rewards from 1st to say top 25 or even top 50.  In CL 9, only the top 5 get the legendary token.  I try to prejoin each event so that my alliance can get as many points as possible to try and get the top 10 reward which is also a legendary token.  In my experience, in cl 9 in slice 4, on a prejoin bracket, about 10 to 15 people are usually striving for that top 5 placement for the legendary token.  Meaning they are all starting right at the beginning, they are all going balls to the walls to finish first (this will be more likely now that you can't make up points) to get the millisecond or just 1-5 seconds early refresh in points.  Again, you could be right, but this is my experience.
    I play 7 or 8 most of the time, depending on whether or not it's a release event (SCL 8 for sure) and how much time I feel like spending playing over the duration of a given non-release event. I have a handful of champed 5*s, but even when they're the featured 5* for an event, I'm not ever going to clear at the pace of the SCL 9 heavy hitters. Saving myself a bunch of time and placing for covers in 7 or 8 (except for when I mess up clear time, like last night) is preferable for me over the better progression awards in 9.

Occasionally wait for a flip, usually pre-join, because I prefer making my clears right away when an event starts, after I've finished the last event off, and then I can go to sleep. (S5 end time is around the time I try to go to bed.)
  • Seriously
    Seriously Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hmm, are we seriously discussing milliseconds of play having an impact on results? Do players living near the servers have an inbuilt advantage?! Totes unfair. Please be trolling :open_mouth:
  • grunth13
    Options
    Seriously said:
    Hmm, are we seriously discussing milliseconds of play having an impact on results? Do players living near the servers have an inbuilt advantage?! Totes unfair. Please be trolling :open_mouth:
    You do understand that the tapping is an issue in CL 9 for 1 and only 1 reason...the top 5 legendary token.  People are spending hours...not minutes, not seconds, HOURS tapping a node in each sub so that they can get 1 extra legendary token for not the sub..but EVENT.  So, yes, for these people, milliseconds will count because it will impact their play.
  • grunth13
    Options
    New McG said:
    grunth13 said:
    New McG said:
    grunth13 said:

I play 7 or 8 most of the time, depending on whether or not it's a release event (SCL 8 for sure) and how much time I feel like spending playing over the duration of a given non-release event. I have a handful of champed 5*s, but even when they're the featured 5* for an event, I'm not ever going to clear at the pace of the SCL 9 heavy hitters. Saving myself a bunch of time and placing for covers in 7 or 8 (except for when I mess up clear time, like last night) is preferable for me over the better progression awards in 9.

Occasionally wait for a flip, usually pre-join, because I prefer making my clears right away when an event starts, after I've finished the last event off, and then I can go to sleep. (S5 end time is around the time I try to go to bed.)
    So, as I said, CL 9 is another beast compared to the other CL because top 5 gets a legendary token which is what caused the proliferation of the tapping in the first place.