Changes to PVP bracket creation? Devs please comment

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    gamar wrote:

Nobody complained that only top players win the top prizes, or that it made it hard for others to progress.

People complained that scaling locking them out of PVP, only offering one 2* cover in rewards, the nerfing of tokens, reductions in HP and ISO rewards, all of THOSE things made it too hard to progress

There were certainly people complaining that only top players were winning top prizes. They got down played by many forum members, but the complaints were certainly there.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "scaling" affecting PVP, as scaling usually refers to PVE, unless you're referring to MMR placing winning 2* players against 3* rosters

It was a typo, I meant PvE
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    New brackets systems suck tinykitties. Period.

Got up to 980 in god of lies, got hit 3 times for over -160. Three retals combined worth, maybe 30 points. One retal was for 6 points again a 141 team with over 600 points.. Thanks, but no thanks.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daveomite wrote:

Got up to 980 in god of lies, got hit 3 times for over -160. Three retals combined worth, maybe 30 points. One retal was for 6 points again a 141 team with over 600 points.. Thanks, but no thanks.
    I feel your pain - cos I'm getting those as well. icon_e_sad.gif
  • daveomite
    Options
    kensterr wrote:
    daveomite wrote:

I feel your pain - cos I'm getting those as well. icon_e_sad.gif

yeah. Definitely different how it's working now. Wouldn't be so bad if the retals were worth something. I have manged to climb back up into the mid 900's as of this moment. Jayson from xmem in 1st with over 1,300 right now. I'm not worried about first, just trying to finally get IM40.

At least I manes to finally get over 10k in Season 1 dealing with this one though. So, at least I accomplished something, lol.
  • Unknown
    Options
    cutoff points for top 10 in my last few pvp are high ..1.1k+-> 1k+-> 900+-> 1k+ so is it confirm brackets are base on mmr?
  • Unknown
    Options
    This is just so stupid! I just got out of top 10 finish for the first time in I can't even remember when. I had 1038 points. Where the **** are the devs right now?! They need to change this back or I am going to have to seriously rethink this game. I am having to work 10x as hard as these new guys in artificially easy brackets for the exact same rewards. If this isn't changed by the time lazy daken is awarded as a PVP prize there is going to be some serious problems. I am sticking out the **** for season 1 but after that, I just don't know.
  • Unknown
    Options
    cutoff points for top 10 in my last few pvp are high ..1.1k+-> 1k+-> 900+-> 1k+ so is it confirm brackets are base on mmr?

100% confirmed based on SOMETHING. Prolly a mix of MMR and season points/ maybe roster. But confirmed by multiple people joining brackets at same time and getting different ones. The newer players getting wins at 800 points. It's ridiculous. And still no devs comment.
  • Unknown
    Options
    So mystery solved, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7382&view=unread#p139409
    IceIX wrote:
    At this very second and with the understanding that we continue to noodle with it, it's random with some slight weighting so that newer users will tend towards brackets with other newer users and vice versa. It doesn't by any means preclude a Day 200 user from dropping into a bracket with 999/1000 Day 5s, just that weighting gives a gentle push to the RAND function when the event server looks at which shard to give a player to. It's FAR more likely that you got "unlucky" than anything nefarious from the sharding tech shoving you into a bracket full of hardcores.

It was like I hinted early on, the daycount used as the weight for bracketing.

As for the interpretation, it sounds pure bull, if you slant the plate just a little the water will still gather in a clear pattern -- and doing the separation like that exactly results in some bracket filled with 30-50 veterans and others with 0-2 instead of the flat rate of 3-4. Making 900 pts well above #1 in one and #50 in others.

Quite sad, the whole story but hardly unusual or out of line in any of the elements -- agenda, stealth, punishment of more established folks.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    So mystery solved, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7382&view=unread#p139409
    IceIX wrote:
    At this very second and with the understanding that we continue to noodle with it, it's random with some slight weighting so that newer users will tend towards brackets with other newer users and vice versa. It doesn't by any means preclude a Day 200 user from dropping into a bracket with 999/1000 Day 5s, just that weighting gives a gentle push to the RAND function when the event server looks at which shard to give a player to. It's FAR more likely that you got "unlucky" than anything nefarious from the sharding tech shoving you into a bracket full of hardcores.

It was like I hinted early on, the daycount used as the weight for bracketing.

As for the interpretation, it sounds pure bull, if you slant the plate just a little the water will still gather in a clear pattern -- and doing the separation like that exactly results in some bracket filled with 30-50 veterans and others with 0-2 instead of the flat rate of 3-4. Making 900 pts well above #1 in one and #50 in others.

Quite sad, the whole story but hardly unusual or out of line in any of the elements -- agenda, stealth, punishment of more established folks.
    Doubly so since day count is not necessarily representative of roster strength
  • daveomite
    Options
    Oh yeah....lovely. I'm on day 82. Sure, that means I need to be facing pure 141's. Probably means I should be able to reach 1,300 in a pvp with no problems, because obviously, on day 83, I become king of the world. Right.

I've actually been going back and forth over email with Kyle at D3. He's been very helpful with info regarding some issues I had run into in Brakadoom. When I have a few, I'll post some snippets, as it does lend some light to the darkness, but not specifically everything were asking here.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm on day ~185, but have a PVE-focused roster (I prioritize flexibility over power), so this effectively means I'm doomed. I guess it's time to give up on PVP, more or less, at least as a source of covers or as a major part of the game. Lightning Rounds are going to be more meaningful.
  • Unknown
    Options
    daveomite wrote:
    Oh yeah....lovely. I'm on day 82. Sure, that means I need to be facing pure 141's. Probably means I should be able to reach 1,300 in a pvp with no problems, because obviously, on day 83, I become king of the world. Right.

I've actually been going back and forth over email with Kyle at D3. He's been very helpful with info regarding some issues I had run into in Brakadoom. When I have a few, I'll post some snippets, as it does lend some light to the darkness, but not specifically everything were asking here.

I'm on day 127 and I don't have a single character able to go over level 85. icon_neutral.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    ...just that weighting gives a gentle push to the RAND function when the event server looks at which shard to give a player to. It's FAR more likely that you got "unlucky" than anything nefarious from the sharding tech shoving you into a bracket full of hardcores.

ahem... D3 gentle push:

fUvKEfZ.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    qtquazar wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    ...just that weighting gives a gentle push to the RAND function when the event server looks at which shard to give a player to. It's FAR more likely that you got "unlucky" than anything nefarious from the sharding tech shoving you into a bracket full of hardcores.

ahem... D3 gentle push:

fUvKEfZ.gif

Notice the one brick that does not fall in the pit, thats why they can claim not all the hardcores are in one bracket.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    qtquazar wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

ahem... D3 gentle push:

fUvKEfZ.gif

Notice the one brick that does not fall in the pit, thats why they can claim not all the hardcores are in one bracket.

The other bricks just got unlucky.
  • daveomite
    Options
    Yeah...earlier I posted a bit of a pointed piece to ice in that same thread. Surprised I haven't been flamed or something by someone over it yet, maybe just because everyone was busy with Oscorp.
  • Unknown
    Options
    In yet another "coincidence" I only managed top 50 in Heavy Metal shielding at 882 while my son got 8th at 654. Just because I'm curious, how many times in a row does this have to occur before it is statistically significant? We are at a 100% rate since the change thus far.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rajjeq wrote:
    In yet another "coincidence" I only managed top 50 in Heavy Metal shielding at 882 while my son got 8th at 654. Just because I'm curious, how many times in a row does this have to occur before it is statistically significant? We are at a 100% rate since the change thus far.

IMO we ahve it as established fact since IceIX admitted the tech behind it. And after the few inconsistent words he evaporated too. I'm sure it would have been announced and changed long ago if it was actually some honest mistake -- no Sir, everything is going by the plan, as intended.
  • Unknown
    Options
    But he only started 2 days after me. How does that make sense?
  • Unknown
    Options
    It IS working as intended. D3 are trying to please the newcomers, because they are most likely to pay real money, rather than the old players. They don't care about old players, unless they pay money, it's pretty simple.
    Time to start anew?