The Safe Rant Thread for Letting Off Steam.

Options

Comments

• Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Koth + Ball Lightning = OP
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Koth + Ball Lightning = OP
    I assume you are ranting about how you got trampled by it?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SOOOOOO... does no one think josu needs a nerfing? that guy single handedly... well with his skeleton buddies TRAMPLED my kiora... kiora guys. Every time I see Josu or Etali I poop my pants a bit.

I managed to get rid of josu but his tokens got that double power buff from the Arcades Strategy 3rd ability: your creatures get +x/+0 where x is equal to their power.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jimpark said:
    SOOOOOO... does no one think josu needs a nerfing? that guy single handedly... well with his skeleton buddies TRAMPLED my kiora... kiora guys. Every time I see Josu or Etali I poop my pants a bit.

I managed to get rid of josu but his tokens got that double power buff from the Arcades Strategy 3rd ability: your creatures get +x/+0 where x is equal to their power.

No. Not even a little bit.

He is hard to face but so is Gaea's Revenge. I have been using seal away in my builds to shut him down when facing black in case he shows up.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    jimpark said:

No. Not even a little bit.

He is hard to face but so is Gaea's Revenge. I have been using seal away in my builds to shut him down when facing black in case he shows up.

Granted there will be a few cases where you don't get the full value, 16 mana for a 6/7 body with 12/12 tokens. That is effectively 18 power divided into two bodies for 16 mana. No?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Anyways. I see a lot of perfects in the bracket now.... man it sure isn't infuriating at all that I wont be one of those guys due to poor luck. MmmmMM MMmm finger licking good.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When you figure out a fun little Saheeli deck using Djinn of Wishes, Ball of Lightning, and Runescape so you take it to the Dragon War and face an Angrath who hits you for 96 damage with his ult when Runescape detonates all those Djinn's Wishes.

His ult effecting tokens pisses me off.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So Greg went into cascade-mode last round on TDW and just vomited his hand over and over for three straight games.
    One match even was a zero mana gained with only loyalty matches for 9 turns for me!

Managed to turn one around but the rest were a rout. And I was perfect up to that, not even close to drop points.

Now theres no point in playing for two more days since the objectives are too easy, few drop points unless hitting similar bad luck
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    jimpark said:

I don’t feel he is over powered, he has to have a decent amount of black out which in mono black pw decks a choice must me made. Half the time my josu sits in my hand ready to cast but waiting for the right amount of black gems to be out to cast. With how much creature removal there is in the game is he that bad to face? I usually take out josu and biunce his zombies. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Stalker said:
    jimpark said:

I don’t feel he is over powered, he has to have a decent amount of black out which in mono black pw decks a choice must me made. Half the time my josu sits in my hand ready to cast but waiting for the right amount of black gems to be out to cast. With how much creature removal there is in the game is he that bad to face? I usually take out josu and biunce his zombies. 
    Yeah, when we play him I am sure its different. I don't own him but I understand that feeling. I mean there are plenty of ways to get rid of him or incapacitate him, but he is usually a 2 for 1 (i.e. requires 2 pieces of removal for 1 card). And if he is disabled, it is always rather worrisome if there is a possibility of being re-enabled.

I am not suggesting we nerf him to the ground, but rather just balance him a bit. Maybe just 4 tokens (I think 5 is cutting it a little close but 6 is a little much) keeping in mind the below:
    jimpark said:

Granted there will be a few cases where you don't get the full value, 16 mana for a 6/7 body with 12/12 tokens. That is effectively 18 power divided into two bodies for 16 mana. No?

• Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Lost three games in TDW the final charges due to Lich's Mastery bugging out and making Greg invincible.

Don't know if something with the event made other cards bugging out too since several failed to work that I know do work in TG and AI.

Discard cards (Infinite Obliteration,  Mind Rot) not discarding when facing Ob Nix, Settle The Wreckage not exiling anything and just destroys itself.
    Lifelink not giving any life in one match.

I have written more tickets in this event than I have in total before (well, only five this weekend but had written four previously).
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jimpark said:

My overall opinion on nerfing is that a card has to be broken beyond sensible debate to warrant a nerf.  Infinite combos with Omniscience, old-school Gonti's Heart, or old-school Runaway Carriage were the few that I rallied behind nerfing.

Etali, to me, is one of the best cards in the game, but not just because it's powerful.  Grinding 25+ matches per event gets mind-numbing to the point of boredom.  Being able to play your opponent's cards adds a new level of enjoyment to the game, each match is different, you can adapt your strategy with the cards you steal.  It makes the game significantly more fun.

I'm sick of endlessly grinding matches in a card arms-race for power.  I want to actually enjoy this game.  Etali helps me do that, and nerfing the card would be a horrible move.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jimpark said:

My overall opinion on nerfing is that a card has to be broken beyond sensible debate to warrant a nerf.  Infinite combos with Omniscience, old-school Gonti's Heart, or old-school Runaway Carriage were the few that I rallied behind nerfing.

Etali, to me, is one of the best cards in the game, but not just because it's powerful.  Grinding 25+ matches per event gets mind-numbing to the point of boredom.  Being able to play your opponent's cards adds a new level of enjoyment to the game, each match is different, you can adapt your strategy with the cards you steal.  It makes the game significantly more fun.

I'm sick of endlessly grinding matches in a card arms-race for power.  I want to actually enjoy this game.  Etali helps me do that, and nerfing the card would be a horrible move.
    The part about Etali that you like isn't the part that needs to be looked at. For a relatively minor mana investment, you get a sizeable body, with haste, that then gives you a card at full mana. There's no reason the card Etali grabs should get full mana. Give it three, heck even six if you want to be crazy. But he's too much value for too little investment, and he gets that value before the opponent can realistically interact in any way.

Josu, on the other hand, seems completely fine. You're not guaranteed tokens (except when the card is bugged, is it still?), and even when you do get them, they don't hit right away, they don't have indestructible or hexproof, and bouncing the tokens is essentially a kill spell. It's not even close to as strong as Gaea's Revenge, which has haste and hexproof, isn't divided across two creatures, is always the same P/T, and is only slightly less power than Josu and his tokens combined.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    jimpark said:

The part about Etali that you like isn't the part that needs to be looked at. For a relatively minor mana investment, you get a sizeable body, with haste, that then gives you a card at full mana. There's no reason the card Etali grabs should get full mana. Give it three, heck even six if you want to be crazy. But he's too much value for too little investment, and he gets that value before the opponent can realistically interact in any way.

Josu, on the other hand, seems completely fine. You're not guaranteed tokens (except when the card is bugged, is it still?), and even when you do get them, they don't hit right away, they don't have indestructible or hexproof, and bouncing the tokens is essentially a kill spell. It's not even close to as strong as Gaea's Revenge, which has haste and hexproof, isn't divided across two creatures, is always the same P/T, and is only slightly less power than Josu and his tokens combined.
    Oh I agree with you that Etali is really powerful, but so are a lot of other cards that weren't nerfed (Omniscience netted you 4 free cards for about the same mana as Etali, and you could cast them all that turn.  Jodah makes your most ridiculous cards incredibly affordable, especially if playing with green ramp.  StV requires some setup but allows you to basically play your entire hand as well.).  And you can always take Etali out with a quick destruction spell (Everyone can get a guaranteed Murder from Training Grounds to start).  There's still plenty of ways to deal with him.

I've got no issues with Josu.  The card is a bit of an eye opener when the AI cascades into dropping 2 or 3 of them in a turn and creates a zombie army that will hit you for half your life, but also manageable with a good kill spell or two.
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So, DOM event reward pack today!  The last two cards were both Mythics!

…both Oath of Teferi - which I bought a few weeks ago.  Now I'm two-whopping-fifths of the way to a non-dupe mythic. 

...hooray for me...

• Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
        So, we are going for two weeks of events, without any booster from coreset 2019.
        Instead of it, we get RTO and the famous ixalan boosters we absolutely needed (because you know, 5 a week isn't enough and its going to rotate out soon ... )
      On top of it, the next week we've got Rotgp as a coalition event, with LEGACY boosters as a reward. 

Recycling old events is fine but please, do it wisely, considering every aspect of the game ... Boredom and frusration might also come from opening the same OBSOLETE boosters week after week.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Coalition Grind till Monday, 30 minutes playtime in non daily events till Friday. Meh.
    And I'm still waiting for the probably mostly irrelevant monthly Q&A.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Bil said:
        So, we are going for two weeks of events, without any booster from coreset 2019.
        Instead of it, we get RTO and the famous ixalan boosters we absolutely needed (because you know, 5 a week isn't enough and its going to rotate out soon ... )
      On top of it, the next week we've got Rotgp as a coalition event, with LEGACY boosters as a reward. 

Recycling old events is fine but please, do it wisely, considering every aspect of the game ... Boredom and frusration might also come from opening the same OBSOLETE boosters week after week.
    I could see a lot of players losing the will to compete with events and rewards this underwhelming.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2018
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    jimpark said:

So I agree with the Etali part which is why I listed him. I mean I do love him because hes that good but I can acknowledge that he is too strong. So I agree with the whole giving 6 mana or maybe event total cost of card - x mana (like 6 or maybe 8). I mean I don't want him nerfed to the ground just balanced.

Josu is fine for the most part but the tokens generated are slightly too much. I mean getting 1 or 2 less tokens would still make him a very good card at his cost. That's 16 mana for a 6/7 with the possible bonus of an 8/8 or 10/10. Between the two choices, a 6/7 with an 8/8 token feels the most balanced, while a 10/10 is borderline balanced-not balanced.

In the 16 mana bracket, it is littered with 6/6, a few 7/7 and 8/8, etc (didn't spend a ton of time looking). So Josu as a 6/7 for 16 is average or a little weak. Now he has menace and gives menace to zombies and knights. This is similar to unblockable, as it requires 2 blocking creatures; but after the first attack there's a good chance 1 or more of those 2 blockers just died. So now we've got a 6/7 and 12/12 unblockable. There is no other card that offers an extra 12 power and toughness that I can find in this cost bracket (18 power, 19 toughness). Even Rishkar Peema Renegade (15 mana) gives +3/+3 to up to 3 creatures so thats 9 extra with a 5/5 body (total 14)

GR is 23 mana for a 16 power. Like all the defenses put forth about Josu the same can be applied to GR, non-targeting kill spells, disable, deathtouch blocker, block with something small to delay, etc. But he costs 23 mana. (just for the record I agree that GR is a little unbalanced but not by too much) If anything Samut, Voice of dissent (24 mana) 7/8 with double strike (so 14/8, GR is only stronger by 2 power), haste and can give your other creatures double-strike feels deadlier. Plus consider the fact that the meta just got a wealth of strong non-targetting removal cards in recent sets... as well as... that detection tower, I guess

But alas, I find that there are a multitude of cards that need balancing so perhaps its better to have a wealth of overpowered cards to counter them as opposed to a multitude of mediocre cards to play with. Afterall, it seems that is one of the merits of this game - super OP overpoweredness. lol

For the record omniscience casts 3 for free because it eats one of its own shields unless it is whirred or nyxed out. I don't want to talk about omniscience because I am not sure. It is super strong but its also very situational unless you do a nyx-omni or any combo that perpetuates omni perhaps (when the AI is playing it). Just wait till you guys face Djinn of Wishes.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I opened an elite pack -- Apex of Power -- yay!

Then I opened a pp an hour later -- Apex of Power --ugh!

Then I opened my free pack from AX -- Search from Azcanta -- dupe -- ugh!

Then I opened my free TotP pack -- Primeval's Glorious Rebirth -- dupe -- sad panda!

Henceforth this story will start with "One time I got 3 dupe mythics from 3 different sets in 2 hours...." 

::Super Sad Panda::