Black Panther (King of Wakanda) & New Story Event *Updated (2/7/18)

Options

Comments

• evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The cover is shown in the first post , I'm assuming that it's going to be the regular panther look only with blue vibranium highlights since that's the focus of the movie
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,843 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    broll said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I can see @ThaRoadWarrior point in terms of costumes though - the 3 versions don't really stand out from each other but I guess it is what it is.
    Have they shown what the 4* will look like?  I didn't see a Marvel.com article or any screenshots.  I'd be shocked if it's that different from other two, but I haven't seen any new pics as of yet.
    Don't think the article is up yet but I doubt they have too many places to go. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised though.

They could go for Jack Kirby's original character design, back when he was called Coal Tiger:

It's a bit more colorful than most other outfits...

Well Panther is a stealth like character and nothing says stealth like bright yellow. It never harmed Wolverine al those years either.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The Facebook page has a preview of the art.  Lots of purple markings.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    Quebbster said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    broll said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I can see @ThaRoadWarrior point in terms of costumes though - the 3 versions don't really stand out from each other but I guess it is what it is.
    Have they shown what the 4* will look like?  I didn't see a Marvel.com article or any screenshots.  I'd be shocked if it's that different from other two, but I haven't seen any new pics as of yet.
    Don't think the article is up yet but I doubt they have too many places to go. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised though.

They could go for Jack Kirby's original character design, back when he was called Coal Tiger:

I'll just pretend you didn't suggest that.

I didn't really. Not seriously at least. There's good reason Black Panther's look has changed very Little over the years...
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    It would be ideal if it was a mask-off version to differentiate. I still can never tell which Venom I'm up against from the character portraits.

but as for Civil War - he just felt like they divided Captain America by Iron Man, and he was the remainder. He didn't really drive any of the plot, which was the struggle between Tony and Steve's ideologies, he was just this angry dude that would show up and get in the way every so often. It just so happened he had a secret country everybody could hang out in after the movie ended, otherwise you could have completely cut him out of the film. 
    Well you could argue the same about Ant-man - sure there is the tenuous link with Falcon from his own movie but you would have thought that actually Tony was in a better position to offer him something that he could use rather than Cap.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was very excited when the pve event teaser appeared in the story mode of the game. Reading this, I’m a little disappointed, but not mad. New content, regardless of how much is just repackaged, is always nice. I just hoped for something... better maybe?

i think I just need to change my expectations for the developers. It doesn’t seem they are interested in gaining our money by making things we are dying to see, but rather tapping into the sales psychology that says if they tweak small things we will be enticed to stay... and if we stay we might possibly spend. The game is still good, just getting a little stale I suppose. 
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    That IS lots of purple...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:

Are you sure it is not pink?
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:

Are you sure it is not pink?
    Not without a Gwenpool 'sploits code.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,262 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    It would be ideal if it was a mask-off version to differentiate. I still can never tell which Venom I'm up against from the character portraits.

but as for Civil War - he just felt like they divided Captain America by Iron Man, and he was the remainder. He didn't really drive any of the plot, which was the struggle between Tony and Steve's ideologies, he was just this angry dude that would show up and get in the way every so often. It just so happened he had a secret country everybody could hang out in after the movie ended, otherwise you could have completely cut him out of the film. 
    Well you could argue the same about Ant-man - sure there is the tenuous link with Falcon from his own movie but you would have thought that actually Tony was in a better position to offer him something that he could use rather than Cap.
    I do argue the same about Ant-Man, it's an inherent weakness of team films that some characters get relegated to set dressing. Ant-Man was the Team Cap answer to Spider-Man - marginally competent comedy fellow on the outskirts of the action. I was not really looking forward to Captain America 3 being a soft Avengers 3 when it came out, but I like it more now after watching it again than I did at the time. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,343 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Not really.  Don't forget that Ant-Man did tell Steve Rogers : "Hank Pym always said, you can never trust a Stark".  It definitely made sense to have Lang join Team Cap.  At least IMHO.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Not really.  Don't forget that Ant-Man did tell Steve Rogers : "Hank Pym always said, you can never trust a Stark".  It definitely made sense to have Lang join Team Cap.  At least IMHO.
    the argument that spawned your quoted comment was "black panther was superfluous to the film," which is definitely true of Ant-Man as well. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:
    Probably a streamlined version of the movie outfit. If they ever add Killmonger, we'll be able to tell him and the 4* Black Panther apart from the others pretty easily with all the color accents.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Surprised that he's a Y-R-B character since there are quite a few in the 4* tier. 

So, looking for opposing-color characters, I think he will play quite well with Gwenpool. Yep!  BP will help to protect her weak health, you may finally find a reason to play her black power for those decent protect tiles. GP purple to align red, yellow, and blue matches for him.  Could be fun to add America in here since the crits may match random protect tiles for bonus damage.
    Also thinking about Moon Knight for the color spread, and of course Medusa will be great (and half-dead 5*Thor to jump-start that yellow). 

I'm sure Nico will play decent with this new BP, rush yellow for that repeater, then purple for more specials of each type to buff each turn. You'd need to bring a good damage-dealer in black and green, fortunately there are many (Vulture, MK, 4Fist, GR, PunMax maybe?).

EDIT: Preview is Up!
    Yellow cost: 7
    Blue cost:    8
    Red cost:     10
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Lastly, re: new goons.  I do wonder about design from a game standpoint.  We all say "Give us new goons to fight" but I wonder what the devs can do in terms of making it different.  Goons kind of largely depend on auto-generating AP and placing a CD with various effects.  Mindless ones added the "place special tile up front" idea and ultron goons just do lots of tile moving and special tile spam.  The point is, adding a new goon type is hard from a "what does it do to make the gameplay different?" standpoint.  The basic backbone of gameplay is a puzzle game and working against the clock or losing control of the board are the two basic mechanics.

Another issue with any new character in game is that the developers need to go through a long process to add them. Art is developed, and that is required to go back and forth to Marvel for approval.  Powers and descriptions also need to be approved and they need to work etc.

And none of that work generates direct revenue for the developers.  New goons may make players a bit less annoyed with fighting the same goons over and over.  But eventually we will have played them 4 or 5 times and find them less interesting again.
    I do kind of wonder why we don't just see more re-naming. The Hunt is actually a good example, since we've got Tower Guards and Elite Guards that are functionally the same as Hammer Soldiers, as far as I can tell. One step up, there are the Shield Soldiers/Spies/Analysts/Pyros that are just re-skins of the Hammer equivalents. Or the Bomb Tech/Demolitionist that are different powers for the Grenadier/Analyst art.

Some combination of those could probably freshen things up a bit, with a significantly smaller amount of work, since one or more of the steps you mention could be skipped.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BP looks like another solid fit in Medusa/Carnage teams. Sooo maybe by the time I champ him my Carnage will be closer to being able to champ too.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I would love it if Gwenpool could change Black Panther to Pink Panther, TBH...

I think this is how we should refer to him on the forums from now on!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Quebbster said:

[spoiler]Personally I Think that Black Panther choosing to not kill Zemo at the end of the Movie (and why) was a big character moment. He was an angry dude... and then he realized where that might lead and decided to be different.[/spoiler]
    to me, that was the final anti-climax for a nothing character to do nothing on the side of the real action of the movie. Bucky could have had that same moment for all the meaning it actually had to the film.