Black Panther (King of Wakanda) & New Story Event *Updated (2/7/18)

Options

Comments

• JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wish they would stop putting those silly boosts in the progression rewards. Who actually uses them? 
    I use boosts maybe once every few months to compensate for poorly-covered 4* DDQ challenges (like level 131 Quake vs. Invisible Woman -- still didn't help).  I probably even need extra because I can never remember to remove them afterwards and wind up inadvertently clearing out my inventory playing trivial nodes.

But they do suck compared to even paltry amounts of ISO.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wish they would stop putting those silly boosts in the progression rewards. Who actually uses them? 
    I use boosts maybe once every few months to compensate for poorly-covered 4* DDQ challenges (like level 131 Quake vs. Invisible Woman -- still didn't help).  I probably even need extra because I can never remember to remove them afterwards and wind up inadvertently clearing out my inventory playing trivial nodes.

I think he was talking about the special boosts for release events that only apply to the new character and aren't usable shortly after they character is released.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,267 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    Quebbster said:
    It would be ideal if it was a mask-off version to differentiate. I still can never tell which Venom I'm up against from the character portraits.

but as for Civil War - he just felt like they divided Captain America by Iron Man, and he was the remainder. He didn't really drive any of the plot, which was the struggle between Tony and Steve's ideologies, he was just this angry dude that would show up and get in the way every so often. It just so happened he had a secret country everybody could hang out in after the movie ended, otherwise you could have completely cut him out of the film. 
    [spoiler]Personally I Think that Black Panther choosing to not kill Zemo at the end of the Movie (and why) was a big character moment. He was an angry dude... and then he realized where that might lead and decided to be different.[/spoiler]
    [spoiler]to me, that was the final anti-climax for a nothing character to do nothing on the side of the real action of the movie. Bucky could have had that same moment for all the meaning it actually had to the film. 
    [/spoiler]
    [spoiler]It would not have had anywhere near the same impact from Bucky.  Zemo was responsible for killing T'challa's father.  He's been wanting to kill the person responsible since early in the film (initially thinking that was Bucky).  Bucky on the other hand is trying to get away from his brainwashed assassin past and wants nothing of killing and fighting (hence he's hiding out doing nothing at the beginning).  Someone giving up avenging their father is a huge character swing vs going back to doing what you were doing at the beginning of the film...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm just saying if you wrote T'Challa out of Civil War entirely, Bucky was being controlled against his will into being a terrorist by Zemo, and he has almost exactly the same revenge arc as the Panther did, except he matters to Cap (who ostensibly is the star of Captain America 3), so choosing to forgive at the end provides that same personal growth opportunity while streamlining all the character interactions by removing someone who just shows up to do tangential things that culminate in him choosing to do nothing. [/spoiler] At any rate, that's the movie we got, so my opinions don't really matter and if y'all like it, I don't want to take that away from you. I hope Black Panther the movie and Black Panther the 4* character turn out to be awesome just the same.
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Edit: already posted didn’t realize it... sorry
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:
    and Civil War didn't do much to make him a "character" to me
    Really?  Both the wife and I thought he was a bit of an out of no where show stealer.  He and Spidey were more memorable in that movie than most of the established MCU characters outside IM, CAP, WS, Falcon, & BW.

I'm super hyped for the movie, hearing a lot of good things!
    I quite like BP mostly because of playing this game, not much of a reason maybe but there you have it. The thing I had the most problems with in the Civil War movie was this, and maybe it is something I never understood correctly so anyone feel free to enlighten me:

The way I saw it, in the beginning there is a huge point made that super heroes can't just act based on their personal feelings when intervening in the world according to IM, where Cap thinks that this is the better way of doing things as otherwise things would take way too long after 'deciding by comittee' what to do. BP is in Tony's team so he thinks that you can't just fly off the handle when something happens, right?

After BP's father gets killed in the movie about the first thing he does is start a wild hunt for the Winter Soldier, without ever getting any indication this is decided from higher up. Now i can undersand you would do this if your father gets killed, but isn't this basically donig what Cap is all for and Tony is against?

As I said, I might very well be misinterpreting things, but that is how I understood it, that BP is more acting on emotion than any kind of instruction/permission from anyone

Anyway, on topic: the new 4*BP seems fine to me. The only thing I can remark about is the artwork and that he is really, REALLY purple... my poor eyes can hardly take it. I'll go and give them some rest now...  o:)

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Nevermind. Good God, I should know better than to try and edit a lengthy post on the useless mobile platform. 
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Brigby power costs are in game now so can you update when you have a chance? 7 Yellow 8 Blue 10 Red.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    jtmagee said:
    Brigby power costs are in game now so can you update when you have a chance? 7 Yellow 8 Blue 10 Red.
    Done!
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is there anyone who can fortify or otherwise protect repeater tiles? I’m guessing it’s going to be randomly placed so it would be nice if there was a way to guard it. Really looking forward to this version of BP as creating/buffing special tiles is one of my favourite mechanics. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    StevO-J said:
    broll said:
    and Civil War didn't do much to make him a "character" to me
    Really?  Both the wife and I thought he was a bit of an out of no where show stealer.  He and Spidey were more memorable in that movie than most of the established MCU characters outside IM, CAP, WS, Falcon, & BW.

I'm super hyped for the movie, hearing a lot of good things!
    I quite like BP mostly because of playing this game, not much of a reason maybe but there you have it. The thing I had the most problems with in the Civil War movie was this, and maybe it is something I never understood correctly so anyone feel free to enlighten me:

The way I saw it, in the beginning there is a huge point made that super heroes can't just act based on their personal feelings when intervening in the world according to IM, where Cap thinks that this is the better way of doing things as otherwise things would take way too long after 'deciding by comittee' what to do. BP is in Tony's team so he thinks that you can't just fly off the handle when something happens, right?

After BP's father gets killed in the movie about the first thing he does is start a wild hunt for the Winter Soldier, without ever getting any indication this is decided from higher up. Now i can undersand you would do this if your father gets killed, but isn't this basically donig what Cap is all for and Tony is against?

As I said, I might very well be misinterpreting things, but that is how I understood it, that BP is more acting on emotion than any kind of instruction/permission from anyone

Since T'Challa is the ruler of a sovereign nation, he's kind of on a different level when it comes to the oversight issue. That's sort of equivalent to if the president of the US had ordered Captain America to take his actions in the movie. This does actually lead to different issues, because he's basically a head of state ordering military activity in multiple foreign nations, which Germany and Russia might not be terribly happy about. But not the same problem facing the Avengers.

Hopefully that worked. Anyhow, I was kind of hoping for a Shuri Black Panther, but this one does look pretty cool. Reasonably priced powers, and he looks like he should work pretty well with C4ge and HoboFist, who are one of my favorite duos. If Protector of Wakanda were purple instead of yellow, he'd be an almost perfect teammate for them.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments on topic. If you would like to discuss movie theory or storyline, please start another discussion thread. Thanks!
  • C_Kolbeins
    C_Kolbeins Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I just wish if the game was going to do a tie-in with the movie we would get one of a number of unique supporting characters, rather than the only character everybody is already familiar with. Lost marketing opportunity.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm a bit disappointed we got another version of BP, instead of one of the other characters that weren't in the game: Killmonger, Shuri or a combined Dora Milaje character.

About Civil War: I think CinemaSins explained it best: most of the characters have no clear reason to choose one side over the other, but they had to distribute them to make the fight more fair. Black Panther is basically on the against-Bucky-side regardless of the politics.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,174 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm a bit disappointed we got another version of BP, instead of one of the other characters that weren't in the game: Killmonger, Shuri or a combined Dora Milaje character.

About Civil War: I think CinemaSins explained it best: most of the characters have no clear reason to choose one side over the other, but they had to distribute them to make the fight more fair. Black Panther is basically on the against-Bucky-side regardless of the politics.

Have to mostly agree with the "no clear reason". Most of the characters seemed to choose sides out of mere allegiance, rather that in sincerely believing what Steve and Tony stood for respectively.

TEAM CAP
    Steve: He's fine, he has a good reason to believe what he does.
    Bucky: Steve's BFF.
    Sam: Steve's second BFF.
    Scarlet Witch: Erm...she joined Steve cos she wasn't happy being kept under locks by Vision?
    Hawkeye: Has a sort of attachment to Scarlet Witch due to events in Age of Ultron. Probably bored on the farm as well.
    Scott: Eh. I guess Giant-Man was a great scene?

TEAM IRON MAN
    Tony: See Steve above. Perfectly fine.
    Jim: Tony's BFF.
    T'Challa: Just wants to get (misplaced) revenge on Bucky.
    Vision: Just cos he used to be JARVIS, Tony's assistant.
    Natasha: Erm...what's her motives for joining Tony? I remember she had a conversation with Steve during Peggy's funeral, but that's rather weak. Plus she "turns" on her teammate by tasering Black Panther, so Steve and Bucky can escape.
    Peter: Tony just decided to recruit him as his intern. And just to let that lead into Homecoming.

So...yeah.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:

I think he was talking about the special boosts for release events that only apply to the new character and aren't usable shortly after they character is released.
    Yep, only referring to the special boosts. The other boosts have their place, the special ones dont. 
  • undrtaker
    undrtaker Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Awesome, another Dark Avengers based event. Cos we didn't have enough of those in the past week
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    Quebbster said:
    It would be ideal if it was a mask-off version to differentiate. I still can never tell which Venom I'm up against from the character portraits.

but as for Civil War - he just felt like they divided Captain America by Iron Man, and he was the remainder. He didn't really drive any of the plot, which was the struggle between Tony and Steve's ideologies, he was just this angry dude that would show up and get in the way every so often. It just so happened he had a secret country everybody could hang out in after the movie ended, otherwise you could have completely cut him out of the film. 
    [spoiler]Personally I Think that Black Panther choosing to not kill Zemo at the end of the Movie (and why) was a big character moment. He was an angry dude... and then he realized where that might lead and decided to be different.[/spoiler]
    [spoiler]to me, that was the final anti-climax for a nothing character to do nothing on the side of the real action of the movie. Bucky could have had that same moment for all the meaning it actually had to the film. 
    [/spoiler]
    [spoiler]It would not have had anywhere near the same impact from Bucky.  Zemo was responsible for killing T'challa's father.  He's been wanting to kill the person responsible since early in the film (initially thinking that was Bucky).  Bucky on the other hand is trying to get away from his brainwashed assassin past and wants nothing of killing and fighting (hence he's hiding out doing nothing at the beginning).  Someone giving up avenging their father is a huge character swing vs going back to doing what you were doing at the beginning of the film...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm just saying if you wrote T'Challa out of Civil War entirely, Bucky was being controlled against his will into being a terrorist by Zemo, and he has almost exactly the same revenge arc as the Panther did, except he matters to Cap (who ostensibly is the star of Captain America 3), so choosing to forgive at the end provides that same personal growth opportunity while streamlining all the character interactions by removing someone who just shows up to do tangential things that culminate in him choosing to do nothing. [/spoiler] At any rate, that's the movie we got, so my opinions don't really matter and if y'all like it, I don't want to take that away from you. I hope Black Panther the movie and Black Panther the 4* character turn out to be awesome just the same.
    [spoiler]You're still missing the point.  At no point in the movie did Bucky want revenge on Zemo.  If he did it would have damaged him as a character.  Cap and Bucky were going to stop more super soldiers from being released and to bring Zemo to justice, not to murder him out of revenge as T'Challa said several times he intended to.[/spoiler]

I'm not thrilled about the over purple on 4* BP's design, but I'm at least happy all 3 BPs won't look too similar.  I sometimes have trouble telling between 5* and 3* we didn't need a 3rd to further confuse the visuals.