Black Panther (King of Wakanda) & New Story Event *Updated (2/7/18)

Options

Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    ***Please keep to the topic in the OP  If you wish to discuss hazard tiles, feel free to create a thread regarding the topic. Thanks! ***
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    I was hoping for new goons. On the positive side, the new hazard tiles could be an experiment to see how players react to the hazard tiles before those hazard tiles effects become the goons' abilities.
    We've made it abundantly clear that we hate hazard tiles.
    Yet they continue to make new ones.
    Make of that what you will.
    Yeah of the things they've been putting in lately hazard tiles, single character boosts, and SHIELD Training are just awful IMO.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,862 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    * pedantic mode on, apologies in advance*

See, I like the 3 different nodes/days on Strange Sights - THAT works. But this...

"Wakanda is under attack by H.A.M.M.E.R. and Ultron. T’Challa must travel his kingdom with his allies to defend its greatest resources. Play against all-new Hazard tiles in this brand new Story Event!"

This is exactly why we need new goons, some new mercenaries would have worked. Why would Ultron team-up with H.A.M.M.E.R.? Or did they just randomly decide to attack Wakanda at a conveniently scheduled time? "What's that, you fancy some Vibranium? Well that's the darndest thing, we fancied some too!!! But...no, you attack first, we insist! Us? No, we couldn't possibly! Go on, you go first! Wait...are you sure? Well...OK then...we promise to leave some for you though!"

Sorry, just a bit disappointed. :neutral:
  • broll
    Options
    @DAZ0273

Two possible reasons:
    1. This event centers around Wakanda becoming known so both enemies just discovered it and both rushed to plunder it's resources.  This seems the most likely since this is an obvious tie-in to the MCU movie which seems to have a similar premise.
    2. Some new fancy technology was just created and both teams are rushing to steal it.

The real reason is making new goons is hard, but above are both plausible story reasons IMO.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    broll said:
    @DAZ0273

Two possible reasons:
    1. This event centers around Wakanda becoming known so both enemies just discovered it and both rushed to plunder it's resources.  This seems the most likely since this is an obvious tie-in to the MCU movie which seems to have a similar premise.
    2. Some new fancy technology was just created and both teams are rushing to steal it.

The real reason is making new goons is hard, but above are both plausible story reasons IMO.
    You make a reasonable case but I'm still disappointed with this being a re-hash of Strange Sights with some weird tile effects thrown in.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,267 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I guess I'm not surprised there's a 4* Panther, but I'd have rather seen Killmonger as well. I only use 3* Panther when he's required because his powers don't suit my play style, and since I just have one cover on 5* Black Panther, I just use him with Thano5 to clear easy nodes. Reading these power decriptions, he sounds like he plays like 3* panther mixed with 3* falcon, which is maybe fine, I suppose I'll need to see the numbers to know if I'll enjoy playing him. Having that shields-on-the-board based damage boost could make Flaptain or Sandman fun again.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,502 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is the part I am excited by:

Fight for Wakanda is a 3-day Story Event. Each day Black Panther must face off against a new Super Villain, and their henchmen, that is threatening his homeland. 

One thing the game has rarely embraced is the teaser/preview model of character releases using in game content (other than Sinister Six and Vulture).  There are numerous reasons for this, but I am hopeful that since they have a new event with tie ins to a movie, that they use this as an opportunity to include some upcoming characters in game and give us a taste of what they may play like.

Another random thought/hope is that this event has some kind of sub-boss battle that rewards something extra ala the Kaecillius fight against these Super Villains.

Re:  Ultron:  He wanted vibranium in the movie, and always is looking to upgrade his body (there was an adamantium version before) so Ultron makes a lot of sense as a villain in the game.  Hammer...why not, I suppose.  We mostly skip the dialog anyway.  I don't hold a lot of hope that it's going to be engrossing.

Lastly, re: new goons.  I do wonder about design from a game standpoint.  We all say "Give us new goons to fight" but I wonder what the devs can do in terms of making it different.  Goons kind of largely depend on auto-generating AP and placing a CD with various effects.  Mindless ones added the "place special tile up front" idea and ultron goons just do lots of tile moving and special tile spam.  The point is, adding a new goon type is hard from a "what does it do to make the gameplay different?" standpoint.  The basic backbone of gameplay is a puzzle game and working against the clock or losing control of the board are the two basic mechanics.

Another issue with any new character in game is that the developers need to go through a long process to add them. Art is developed, and that is required to go back and forth to Marvel for approval.  Powers and descriptions also need to be approved and they need to work etc.

And none of that work generates direct revenue for the developers.  New goons may make players a bit less annoyed with fighting the same goons over and over.  But eventually we will have played them 4 or 5 times and find them less interesting again.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    I guess I'm not surprised there's a 4* Panther, but I'd have rather seen Killmonger as well. I only use 3* Panther when he's required because his powers don't suit my play style, and since I just have one cover on 5* Black Panther, I just use him with Thano5 to clear easy nodes. Reading these power decriptions, he sounds like he plays like 3* panther mixed with 3* falcon, which is maybe fine, I suppose I'll need to see the numbers to know if I'll enjoy playing him. Having that shields-on-the-board based damage boost could make Flaptain or Sandman fun again.
    His yellow sounds like it will work with R4G - fortifying or strengthening his strike tiles for prolonged pain for the enemy. I guess it depends on what "low cost" means and how fast he can get rolling with it.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Mechanically, those powers could be pretty cool. Probably goes really nice on a 4ist/C4ge team as well for the same reason. I just don't really get too excited for the character of BP either. I'm hype for the movie, because the art direction looks awesome on Wakanda proper, but you could not design a more boring looking super hero costume in my opinion. I never read his comics, and Civil War didn't do much to make him a "character" to me, so I'm not like inherently stoked to get more T'Challa right off the bat is all.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    This is the part I am excited by:

Fight for Wakanda is a 3-day Story Event. Each day Black Panther must face off against a new Super Villain, and their henchmen, that is threatening his homeland. 

One thing the game has rarely embraced is the teaser/preview model of character releases using in game content (other than Sinister Six and Vulture).  There are numerous reasons for this, but I am hopeful that since they have a new event with tie ins to a movie, that they use this as an opportunity to include some upcoming characters in game and give us a taste of what they may play like.

Another random thought/hope is that this event has some kind of sub-boss battle that rewards something extra ala the Kaecillius fight against these Super Villains.

Re:  Ultron:  He wanted vibranium in the movie, and always is looking to upgrade his body (there was an adamantium version before) so Ultron makes a lot of sense as a villain in the game.  Hammer...why not, I suppose.  We mostly skip the dialog anyway.  I don't hold a lot of hope that it's going to be engrossing.

Lastly, re: new goons.  I do wonder about design from a game standpoint.  We all say "Give us new goons to fight" but I wonder what the devs can do in terms of making it different.  Goons kind of largely depend on auto-generating AP and placing a CD with various effects.  Mindless ones added the "place special tile up front" idea and ultron goons just do lots of tile moving and special tile spam.  The point is, adding a new goon type is hard from a "what does it do to make the gameplay different?" standpoint.  The basic backbone of gameplay is a puzzle game and working against the clock or losing control of the board are the two basic mechanics.

Another issue with any new character in game is that the developers need to go through a long process to add them. Art is developed, and that is required to go back and forth to Marvel for approval.  Powers and descriptions also need to be approved and they need to work etc.

And none of that work generates direct revenue for the developers.  New goons may make players a bit less annoyed with fighting the same goons over and over.  But eventually we will have played them 4 or 5 times and find them less interesting again.
    A well reasoned and inciteful post, bravo, it puts my early grumpiness to shame.
  • broll
    Options
    and Civil War didn't do much to make him a "character" to me
    Really?  Both the wife and I thought he was a bit of an out of no where show stealer.  He and Spidey were more memorable in that movie than most of the established MCU characters outside IM, CAP, WS, Falcon, & BW.

I'm super hyped for the movie, hearing a lot of good things!
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    I can see @ThaRoadWarrior point in terms of costumes though - the 3 versions don't really stand out from each other but I guess it is what it is.
  • broll
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I can see @ThaRoadWarrior point in terms of costumes though - the 3 versions don't really stand out from each other but I guess it is what it is.
    Have they shown what the 4* will look like?  I didn't see a Marvel.com article or any screenshots.  I'd be shocked if it's that different from other two, but I haven't seen any new pics as of yet.
  • bryduck
    bryduck Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Speaking of the story, it starts in less than a day. Why can't I choose my ending time and level yet? (Apologies if this is a n00b question!) 
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    broll said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Have they shown what the 4* will look like?  I didn't see a Marvel.com article or any screenshots.  I'd be shocked if it's that different from other two, but I haven't seen any new pics as of yet.
    Don't think the article is up yet but I doubt they have too many places to go. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised though.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    broll said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Don't think the article is up yet but I doubt they have too many places to go. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised though.

They could go for Jack Kirby's original character design, back when he was called Coal Tiger:

It's a bit more colorful than most other outfits...

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    It would be ideal if it was a mask-off version to differentiate. I still can never tell which Venom I'm up against from the character portraits.

but as for Civil War - he just felt like they divided Captain America by Iron Man, and he was the remainder. He didn't really drive any of the plot, which was the struggle between Tony and Steve's ideologies, he was just this angry dude that would show up and get in the way every so often. It just so happened he had a secret country everybody could hang out in after the movie ended, otherwise you could have completely cut him out of the film. 
  • broll
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    broll said:
    DAZ0273 said:

They could go for Jack Kirby's original character design, back when he was called Coal Tiger:

I'll just pretend you didn't suggest that.