Next Season PvP

Options

Comments

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    tiomono said: ...The amount of nonsensical "rules" in this game is astounding....
    List a few of these "nonsensical 'rules'" please? Shouldn't be hard to do seeing as their is an astounding amount lying around.
    Cmon, you have been around long enough not to put out a troll question.

In case you are being sincere for others, I'll throw a couple out:

Dont climb in the last three hours.

Dont try to hit more than two during a hop

Never queue someone for less than 38 points

Find your float point

Get in a line chat group, specifically a battle chat, so that you can circumvent the rules designed by the devs to try to make play fair, all the while professing that we are playing the game as it is designed and as such it shouldn't be changed.

Should i go on?
    Those aren't rules. Tips, strategies, advice. Please do go on, maybe you'll hit upon a 'rule'.

Nor are they 'nonsense'. They have practical relation to the PvP events found in MPQ.

Nor are they universal.

The only 'rules' in MPQ are found in the ToS and imposed by the pubs & devs (sometimes enforced), and in whatever strictures alliances create for their members.

Oh please, lets split some more hairs.  This is the context of what he was talking about. If someone picks up the game today, and tries to hit 900, they arent going to have an easy time unless they learn these unwritten "rules" that come up during every pvp discussion.  

Again not sure if you are trying to jerk my chain, or just be a jerk.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    broll said:
    If anything I prefer it more now. I missed 900 completely in Mystique. I did about 28-32 wins. I’d have had the time to do more but gave up out of frustration. 
    Um.. how will it be different with the win based system? With 28-32 wins, you’d still need to play up to 12 more matches to get the 4* cover. Could you at least appreciate the 5* players’ perspective now when we said getting 40 wins in our MMR is frustrating?

I think once you learn to pace your climb better, you could get to 900 with 20 matches or less. With the win based system, you’d have to play double the amount to get the 4* cover.
    I would have done 8 more clears if I was guarenteed the cover after.  There have been plenty of times I do 40 or more and still end up with nothing.  That's not good for progression, that's what ranked should be for.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    How many pve players know the ideal clear schedule for a 48 hour node? Probably a small handful.  Why don't we complain about "unwritten pve rules?"
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said: But whenever someone says that the current PVP progression system need adjustments 3 or 4 very old players push back hard. Its like it's more of a personal attack than actually begging for win-based to return. "It's fine as it it, learn to play" - stuff like that.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/68807/end-of-win-season-follow-up-how-did-you-enjoy-the-win-system/p1

Lets see here.  3 or 4 Vets.  236 votes or 58% on this poll.  That looks like a lot more than 3 or 4.  Also, if you are on Discord or Line you would have seen more Vets that are not on the forums with their displeasure.  mexus said:     Win-based or point-based I don't really care about. However as long as the point-based system makes me loose more points than I gain if not babysitting the phone all the time I'm gonna prefer the system that doesn't take my progression away: the win-based system. 
    During the win-based season I reached the top-of-the-top Season Reward: A shiny 15 command points.
    I have never, however, reached that in a points-based season (nor have I ever scored 1200 in a separate event).

With PVP, you get hit you lose points.  While I am glad you reach full progression, in the old system it would take some people to shield to get this.  If they are giving away full progression to people that can just play 40 matches and not progress up the leader board, that would be a concern for them.  If you are not purchasing health packs or shields to use your HP, then as a company why would they want that?  The greater player base could just be F2P and not have to buy for health packs or shields.  That had to be a major concern with this.  If you think my poll or the other vets had a major influence on this, then you are giving use more credit than you should.  If I would put a percentage on what influence we had here, Discord, PM and emails, I would say it was less than 10% but I sure as heck was not going to give up.  it is on D3 and Demi to test a Win based system if they want to and hopefully they will listen to our feed back this time. 

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    tiomono said: ...The amount of nonsensical "rules" in this game is astounding....
    List a few of these "nonsensical 'rules'" please? Shouldn't be hard to do seeing as their is an astounding amount lying around.

Find your float point

Get in a line chat group, specifically a battle chat, so that you can circumvent the rules designed by the devs to try to make play fair, all the while professing that we are playing the game as it is designed and as such it shouldn't be changed.

Should i go on?
    Those aren't rules. Tips, strategies, advice. Please do go on, maybe you'll hit upon a 'rule'.

Nor are they 'nonsense'. They have practical relation to the PvP events found in MPQ.

Nor are they universal.

The only 'rules' in MPQ are found in the ToS and imposed by the pubs & devs (sometimes enforced), and in whatever strictures alliances create for their members.

Ok rules was the wrong word.

Is the versus system as it currently is what the devs intend? Are they happy with how it currently functions? And I will say versus because realistically both story and versus are pvp.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How many pve players know the ideal clear schedule for a 48 hour node? Probably a small handful.  Why don't we complain about "unwritten pve rules?"
    That's the whole thing.  This game is FIFO.  You mess up on a 48 hr sub, you learn.  you let a shield drop, you learn.  you build a character wrong, you learn. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I do, alot...
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options

Find your float point

Should i go on?
    Who made those rules?  I violate all of them.  I could not follow a single rule with DD Thanos and not give up before 900 too.  
  • shartattack
    Options
    Ruinate said:

Find your float point

Should i go on?
    Who made those rules?  I violate all of them.  I could not follow a single rule with DD Thanos and not give up before 900 too.  
    those rules don't really apply to the 1%, ruinate
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ruinate said:
    Are we not doing context anymore?  Is that not a thing?

Aside from avoiding the last 3 hours, i violate them myself.  I also have champed 5* and get to 1200 while ignoring them.  The point of this thread and this specific response was for people who cannot presently get to 900/1200, and the responses people give to help those people reach those benchmarks.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Guess who else is now part of that 1% and has DD Thanos.

These aren't rules.  They are tips.  Just like Aes said.  The game does not need to provide all strategies and tips for you.  No game does this.  Seek out the cowdsourced information if you're interested enough or develop your own strategies.  That's part of gaming.  Shall I lay out all the possible outcomes before we play a game of tic tac toe?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are so many false analogies in this thread. The idea of strategy being a big one. Using the Monoploy analogy, in that game there are two strategies at work. One is the game itself, what properties to buy, which to let go of, when and how to build, knowing which properties have the best ROI (orange btw), all of that is strategy. The second level of strategy is negotiating deals, forming alliances, etc. Both are needed to be really good at the game and are encouraged by the game makers.

MPQ is similar. There is tons of strategy in both wins based and points based in terms of what characters to use, what combos work, what are good defensive deterrents, who is fastest, what boosts to use, etc. All of this is supported by the developers and is part of their intended strategy. The coordination, grilling, cupcakes, trapbombs, banana boats and spamalams (okay I’m not part of the PVP culture and do not now what these mean and may have made a few up) are not what the developers intended. These ideal ways to game the system aren’t in any written rules because the game wasn’t designed with these play styles in mind. It’s just a culture that has evolved to game a broken system. While people who benefit from it and are part of it will say “adapt” and mock a person’s skill/strategy I think there is great value in looking at the system and fixing it rather than pointing to players as a problem.  It’s clear the developers are trying to eliminate all the extra stuff outside what was intended strategy (similar to tapping in PVE), but the backlash from those who benefitted was too strong. Hopefully there is a better solution down the pipeline. 

For reference I hit 40 in all but 1 Event this season and last. With the current, it was more resource-intensive and stressful, while last season was more time consuming overall but I could play whenever I wanted. I’m in that sweet spot that can play both pretty equally. 
  • shartattack
    edited December 2017
    Options
    mexus said:
    Ruinate said:

Find your float point

Should i go on?
    The same 1% preventing everyone else from making actually top 50.

1% doesn't take up top 50. 50 do.  who is this, everyone else? would the game look weird if 3* rosters were finishing top 50 in cl8 pvp?

edit: i thought about it, and a 3* roster can hit 900, which should get t50 in many brackets of pvp, even slc8
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    mexus said:
    Ruinate said:

Find your float point

Should i go on?
    The same 1% preventing everyone else from making actually top 50.

Considering the top 50 in each Versus bracket is 10% of the 500 person bracket, I'd love to see your math that proves 1% of the players are taking 10% of the spots......
    Tough to argue with that math.

Reminds me of this:  http://dilbert.com/strip/2002-05-19