Next Season PvP

broll
broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
@Brigby

Are the devs going to have some new forum of PvP that addresses the issues many of us had for them?  Win based had the plug pulled quite abruptly with a promise of working for something better.  Please tell us we don't have to spend another season in The Dark Dimension.

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @broll Apologies, but as of this moment, I'm afraid I don't have any updates to provide, regarding the future structure of Versus Tournaments.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m more hoping for a Gambattery fix than anything else. Top of my MPQ Xmas wishlist right now lol
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was expecting some type of test this offseason but with no testing coming, looks like we will be in Point based PVP for another great season.  
  • broll
    Man, I guess you guys really never get tired of your own smugness...
  • The rockett
    You realize that personal rank for each pvp, ally rank for each pvp, personal rank for the season and ally rank for the season is STILL point based?  So yes, it will be another great season.  
  • broll
    You realize that personal rank for each pvp, ally rank for each pvp, personal rank for the season and ally rank for the season is STILL point based?  So yes, it will be another great season.  
    You realize only a small percent of people rank decent right?  I couldn't care less about PvP rank.  You guys can have it.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    A lot of us think point based pvp has the plug pulled on it for a stupid aberration and the return to sanity said they may look at an alternative format in the future not that after one season they'd mess again with a format that broadly works after such a stupid and foreseeable disaster of a change
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    @Brigby

Are the devs going to have some new forum of PvP that addresses the issues many of us had for them?  Win based had the plug pulled quite abruptly with a promise of working for something better.  Please tell us we don't have to spend another season in The Dark Dimension.
    The Dark Dimension has cookies!  I'm cool with that!
  • The rockett
    To be fair, at the very least, i would like them to put wins counts in, while still using the scores, so people can stop "guessing" about how many wins it takes to get to 1200, or 900 for the transitioners. 

I've speculated before that higher end players such as yourself may be putting up some high wins counts while chasing that top end score,  and that is helping to artificially inflate the counts. If you dont mind, there is a player using the name "rocket" name near the top of the pvp leader board, i wonder if it is you?  Would you be willing to disclose your score?

Then you throw in snipers and people dumping points, and people playing for iso and rewards, it would not surprise me if the average win count is higher than we think.

It would also be interesting for the WBAS (wins based appreciation society) to track their win counts as they try to go for their rewards, similar to your endeavors to track those who missed out during that season? 

Quick edit:  i had 14626 points, so i personally benefit from points based, but can understand the argument for wins based
    See. Now we can have a discussion. I can tell you last PVP I think I had over 100 wins but my game play was a bit different.  Depending on the event, slice and many other factors, it can change a lot.  So it is hard to say at some point for this.  I have not been opposed to having wins for some type of format BUT not that disaster we had for 1 season that removed CPs from progression.  Until they test a system in the future it will be hard to say what they willl do.  
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    @broll do you use Line? I’ve seen you in different shards. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    mexus said:
    Borrowing this thread.
    Any chance next Season PVP will be a short season? In before Christmas and all? Or do they have time for a full season?
    FWIW, last year the season during the holidays was normal length.  They don’t try to schedule around holidays, just their own Anniversary.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    ... I've speculated before that higher end players such as yourself may be putting up some high wins counts while chasing that top end score,  and that is helping to artificially inflate the counts. 
    I guess if they paired a OSFA wincount with more open MMR so we could knock out the quota easier it might not be so bad, but the mindless grind would be (and was) devoid of what little thrill PvP still retains. 
    There was an unconfirmed comment that they originally wanted it higher than 40, but brought it down, so i am not so sure they would read the data the same as you or I.  Especially if their goal is to increase engagement, in the hopes of increasing spending (assuming that is the correlation they were going for).

That said, i never really got a thrill from pvp like some people mention.  I play when i can or when i want, and that's that.  Sometimes i have to play a certain amount, at a particular time, to maximize ROI, but that is for both pve and pvp. 

If they tweaked MMR, i dont see it as removing that thrill.  Want less rewards, play less. Want more rewards, play more.

It just popped in my head, but a cool thing they could do is make the three pvp nodes tied to difficulty, similar to the pve essential nodes.  One node is easy, but worth only a few points.  Second node is a little harder, offers more points.  Third node is toughest, going against rosters similar to your own and worth max points.  Not ideal, and probably impossible to implement, just spit balling.