Options

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    mexus said:
    Borrowing this thread.
    Any chance next Season PVP will be a short season? In before Christmas and all? Or do they have time for a full season?
    FWIW, last year the season during the holidays was normal length.  They don’t try to schedule around holidays, just their own Anniversary.
    Incorrect. They have a history of having new releases ON holiday weekends. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You realize that personal rank for each pvp, ally rank for each pvp, personal rank for the season and ally rank for the season is STILL point based?  So yes, it will be another great season.  
    You realize the devs wanted to change the current system right? So the current system we have is not what they want. Yes wins based went over like a lead balloon with top end players. But the devs (and I would argue a large chunk of the playerbase) want something different. 
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 769 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don’t see why they can’t have both win based and points based 

keep the overall season tally as points based but every other pvp could be win based that way everyone is happy 

i really couldn’t be bothered with pvp this season as I had more important things in real life to deal with 

next season im going to try and win everything I can as I’m stopping my vip in the new year as I have almost champed all the 4* so won’t need as much iso 

not planning on champing 5* for a while yet 
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The current version of PvP seems fine.  

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    You realize that personal rank for each pvp, ally rank for each pvp, personal rank for the season and ally rank for the season is STILL point based?  So yes, it will be another great season.  
    You realize the devs wanted to change the current system right? So the current system we have is not what they want. Yes wins based went over like a lead balloon with top end players. But the devs (and I would argue a large chunk of the playerbase) want something different. 
    In my 1286 days in this game, there has not been much that they have turned back this quickly. So whatever they were thinking, taking comments on, the "data" they looked at was wrong. They flip flopped on this quicker then most politicians, well maybe not that quick. They didn't listen when they ran the 2 tests that they ran in the offseason and during gimick events. Then surprise surprise, it went over like a turd in a punch bowl. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that solution was not it. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What I want next season: 5* node in pve changed to a boss node (similar to Webbed Wonder), a change to how nodes recharge, hybrid pvp season test, holiday themed alliance event, holiday variant covers

What we'll get from Santa: another character specific boost and probably a Gambit nerf.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    nycjonny said:
    broll said:
    Man, I guess you guys really never get tired of your own smugness...
    no need to insult people for not liking the thing you like.
    I wonder why a small group likes the half-broken system that benefits them more than anyone else?
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alsmir said:
    nycjonny said:
    broll said:
    I wonder why a small group likes the half-broken system that benefits them more than anyone else?
    I agree! The few players that win based PvP helped just keep bringing it up! Ty @Alsmir for pointing that out. The switch back to points PvP was because win based was helping a small group.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alsmir said:
    nycjonny said:
    broll said:
    I agree! The few players that win based PvP helped just keep bringing it up! Ty @Alsmir for pointing that out. The switch back to points PvP was because win based was helping a small group.
    To be fair, it probably helped a gigantic part of the playerbase.

Problem for them is, those players don't spend.

So they can argue all they want, as long as revenue goes down, this incarnation of win based isn't coming back - neither is anything else that doesn't cater to spenders.

People forget this game isn't for their enjoyment, it's there to make people spend money.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:
    I did not say it was the solution. I am tired of many people insisting that what we have right now is good. It's not. The devs don't think so either or they would not have looked to make such a radical change.

Broll along with a large chunk of the playerbase simply want a change. But anytime someone tries to discuss it this forum seems to pounce on them with the mentality that they are stubborn, stupid, or unwilling to "learn to play". 

Many of those same players like to say they know what the devs intend gameplay to be, but somehow turn a blind eye to the fact that the devs are actively trying to change versus because of whatever reasons they may have.

Wins based had big problems. But do not try and say what we currently have doesn't stink for a large chunk of players.

I never said the current system is great. There are issues including the black out of rewards from 900 to 1200.  Player versus player is to be competitive that is just the nature of the game.  Heck PVE is too, but that discussion is for another thread. 

I guess my issue is that I came up through this system, 1287 days in.  I learned how to get full progression, 1300 back then, without any check rooms.  Our ally set up a Battle C(h)at for the slice we were in.  All we did is spread out in different brackets and try and Q each other. Once we shielded we would hit each other and maybe another person in our bracket that was shielded.  This is was all A teams. It was heck a lot of fun to be honest, miss this times of learning PVP with that group of people. We just played off of each other all the time.  This was over 2 years ago.  No check rooms, heck we didn't we know they were around. Just our ally trying something new to push us to learn how to get to progression.

I am not saying the current system is perfect for all, but this is what we got.  You can ask, beg, plead, try and make D3/Demi change the current system or you can change your own game play and try and work within it. Yes you will have to use shields, yes you willl get hit, yes you will lose points. This is player verse player. Now i don't play any other games, I am not a gamer, but are there any other games that have a PVP system that a massive change like what happened here and it worked?  It seems to me what I have read about other PVP formats that it is simlair to this, but again I don't know how they work. 

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Got to be honest, I was an advocate for the win based pvp, but the win totals were too high. After going back to points based pvp last season, that is definitely better as things stand. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:

tiomono said: ...The amount of nonsensical "rules" in this game is astounding....
    List a few of these "nonsensical 'rules'" please? Shouldn't be hard to do seeing as their is an astounding amount lying around.
    Waiting for a "bracket" to "flip" in order to "snipe" is nonsensical to me. :) But that's not a game "rule" per se. But in order to be a top player you need to know about this.
    No you don't.

Top players are not late climbing leeches who wait for bracket flips.

Top players join with enough time to get the score for the placement they want, however high that score is.

Bracket sniping is for PVE.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options

OJSP said:
    Spoken like someone who would not have to fight 40 champed Gambits in a row to hit progression.
    He has a championed DD and Thanos now.. Might not be pushing for win based system anymore
    If anything I prefer it more now. I missed 900 completely in Mystique. I did about 28-32 wins. I’d have had the time to do more but gave up out of frustration. 
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    We have this PVP discussion about unwritten rules every 3 months. The exact same things can be said about PVE. No new player knows about "optimal" play and timers and sniping brackets or whatever. The whole game is this way... has been since day one, and has survived in spite of that. People that become passionate about the game find their way on here and Line and Discord. I am not sure why that is a problem?

Agreed PvE has the same problems and I'd be petitioning for that change to be completed if they implemented a mostly workable change then pulled the plug on it after a month...

Yeah sure, having hidden rules isn't a problem, keeps them noobs in their place right?