Updates to S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank and Player XP (11/7/17)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ive rostered Iron Man, Storm and Spiderman as they are the 13 cover 1*s.  Put iso in to max them.

And now I can just keep adding tokens to them.  The other 1*s I sell.

I think, on balance, my xp has accelerated a bit.  I hit level 103 a couple of days ago and am already 25% toward 104.

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    sh81 said:
    Ive rostered Iron Man, Storm and Spiderman as they are the 13 cover 1*s.  Put iso in to max them.

And now I can just keep adding tokens to them.  The other 1*s I sell.

You could've done that without putting ISO in them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I thought Id need to have them levelled to reapply covers.

Good info for anyone who hasnt put iso into them yet!  :D:D
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,499 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is worth noting something. 

Farming 1*s is an overall iso loss, no matter your level. (I recently learned this.). What it does do is allow you to more quickly hit your next SL and get an injection of iso - very helpful with covers constantly expiring etc.  But just selling them will net you the most iso overall.  The XP and eventual iso windfall does not offset the 100iso you didn’t get from selling them.

So farming 1’s is not a gimme.  2’s make a lot more sense with the rewards - HP, CP, covers - being a good trade off for iso.

If you want to farm 1’s, and need iso quick, it can be helpful. But no one should feel like they are using the covers wrong if they just sell them.

And again - ONLY put iso into 1*s that you want to actually use (DDQ, probably).  Leveling them is not part of the farming process at all.
  • Starfury
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    It is worth noting something. 

Farming 1*s is an overall iso loss, no matter your level. (I recently learned this.). What it does do is allow you to more quickly hit your next SL and get an injection of iso - very helpful with covers constantly expiring etc.  But just selling them will net you the most iso overall.  The XP and eventual iso windfall does not offset the 100iso you didn’t get from selling them.

How?

Farming 1* isn't worth as much as it might seem from just looking at xp numbers (since you effectively "buy" 10xp for 100 iso). But why should it be a net loss as long as you get back more than 10 iso per xp?

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Exactly. Divide the ISO gain from the lvl by the XP needed to get it. This is your potential iso gain from the 1* covers.

For example I am at lvl 113. So I get 12,23 ISO per XP awarded. Any 1* gives me 120 ISO that way. Minuscule gain but if you have the slots - why not? When this calculation goes under 10 iso per XP - it's better to sell. Also if you don't care about the minuscule gain of 20 IOC per cover - sell as it is.

Since the introduction of this I have got about 70-80 1* covers. Since I had the HP to roster some of them and cycle it gives me (when the pay up is due) about 1,5-1,6 k extra iso. Not much but still a profit.
  • maltyo9
    maltyo9 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    But it's not really a profit if you're going to gain the XP and level up eventually anyway, is it?
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    maltyo9 said:
    But it's not really a profit if you're going to gain the XP and level up eventually anyway, is it?
    It is, because you get to that level faster.
  • bluewolf
    Options
    The time spent farming is also a factor.  And the SR windfall, as pointed out earlier, will come from other roster activity.   It will come whether you ever farm a 1* or not.

If you just sell all your 1’s, it’s very quick and easy.  And champing 2/3/4/5 gives a lot more XP.

You are trading time and effort for a small acceleration in SR windfall speed.  Note too that eventually it doesn’t make sense at all, as stated earlier.

It is up to you. It seems worthwhile because so many 1’s come in, but for me it became very tiresome after doing it once.
  • GigerHR
    GigerHR Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    Exactly! It might only be a little bit of extra Iso/cover, but the xp gets you to the bonus faster - and when you have covers dying on the vine, getting that 60k+ bonus today instead of tomorrow might be the difference between champ levels and selling covers for 1k ISO. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The waste is in the 1 star tier entirely. It is an outdated and dead end  tier that should be merged with 2 stars. Make 2 stars dropped like 1 stars and promote 3 star farming. 

It's win-win. Devs get people buying more roster spots and players get faster roster building and xp through that.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Shield level bonuses are a finite resource. Farming 1*s gets you to the end faster, but you are out all the iso you would gotten selling them.

Not farming 1*s means that when you do get to the end of Shield bonuses (all be it a little later), you will have gotten iso for every 1* you sold.

Farming is barely an increase in speed, but long term a major loss of iso.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kahmon said:
    Not farming 1*s means that when you do get to the end of Shield bonuses (all be it a little later), you will have gotten iso for every 1* you sold.
    That's only true:

IF
    You get to the max shield rank before they raise it (or you stop playing)

AND
    The XP you gain after hitting the max rank is not tracked and you're not compensated for that extra XP after they do raise the cap.

If the above is not true, then you can treat your shield level bonuses as essentially infinite. I just hit shield rank 100 today, so for me, the previous 125 cap could have been 1 000, or 1 000 000, and I'd never have noticed.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,377 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    Been silent here for a while.
    How are you all experiencing this change now after a few weeks of going live? Not talking about the raised level cap, talking about the change to gain XP from power shifting your 1*'s for 20 minutes / week instead of gaining XP from regular progression.

I'm not a fan.
    I have the feeling that gaining XP has slowed down considerably for me. But I didn't keep track before, and don't keep track now, so I can't back that up with numbers.

Then again, I tend to save up tokens and open piles of them in bursts, and I havent popped any major stashes lately.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,857 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I did recently rank up but I can't say that it took any longer or faster. The one thing that really stands out now is that as I tend to open tokens in blocks, I can feel the XP gain in bursts as I add covers where as before it was probably not as noticeable dues to the various sources spread out during play.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Its been really similar to be honest.  I don't specifically track my levelups.  but I've gone up 3 ranks to 143 since I got the initial bump to 139.
  • bluewolf
    Options
    I think it’s about the same pace.  I am at 124, so it’s too bad they didn’t wait like a month.  Oh well.  Also, I refuse to bother with the 1* thing, but I’m not trying to save any covers at this point other than maybe 3* dupes.  And possible 5’s.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For the most part, it has been similar for me via 1* farming (I am at level 124 currently).

However, when I opened about 20-25 LTs bought with CP in one go, the jump from additional covers and two brand-new 4* champions was very noticable.
  • Starfury
    Options

I'm advancing at the same pace as before, however that's only because I'm farming 1*.

If I didn't buy those 10 xp for 100 iso each, I'd advance quite a bit slower.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My pace has been noticeably slower, but as a hoarder I fully expected that.  A couple days ago I started hoarding everything down to STs so that's gonna slow it even further.  I don't have a problem with that, in fact I kind of prefer it because it makes me more likely to get a large ISO boost when I need it most, while opening a hoard (well I should say applying covers from a hoard now I guess).