New Versus Event - Sakaar Arena (10/26/17)

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    jamesh said:
    Brigby: in future when you're listing exact times of day for events like this, would it be possible to list the times in UTC?  Or at the very least what the UTC offset of the local time you've listed is?

It'd be particularly useful around daylight saving transition times, since not everywhere switches on the same dates (and even when the transition dates are close, northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere will be changing in opposite directions).
    @jamesh Sure! I've now updated the post to include not just UTC times, but also PDT.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sakaar Arena Pack Odds

5* ~ 1:533
    4* ~ 1:16
    3* ~ 1:5
    2* ~
    It's worth a reminder that that 1:533 needs to be tripled if you're specifically looking for Thor.  There are three five stars in those crumby tokens.
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Yeah this looks like the first release event I'll be happily skipping. 

It's a shame, really. There could have been some really interesting experiments associated with the release.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Well, thankfully the first one is over. Someone got 597 in my bracket. That's great because it puts in perspective how little effort I need to put into this event because that's like 4-5 LR for me  :D
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    It looks like we are automatically grouped with the same 19 players from the previous bracket?
    Yeah.
    Brilliant idea isn't it.
    So much for sniping placement.

Who designs stuff like that?
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    OJSP said:
    It looks like we are automatically grouped with the same 19 players from the previous bracket?
    Yeah.
    Brilliant idea isn't it.
    So much for sniping placement.

Who designs stuff like that?
    Sadists.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Wow, not revolving the 20-player selection is a bit nuts. I actually feel bad for some of the guys in mine. 
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    mexus said:
    Wow, not revolving the 20-player selection is a bit nuts. I actually feel bad for some of the guys in mine. 
    We are in the same tournaments, I noticed. But mexus isn't my in-game name.
    Oh cool, GL!
    But there's a very handsome player who took my in-game name. So I had to use another one in the game ;)

• mkmagius
    mkmagius Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    I'm also in your bracket. I'm happy with top5 just hitting seeds.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Having more LRs available is a good thing.  Getting them in place of a boss event is a change of pace that's better for ISO income, which is good for a lot of players.  

But the timing of it is really unfortunate.  Making more LRs available just after a change that increased PvP playtime for a lot of people isn't the ideal time to roll it out.  Especially when there's a giant healthpack suck running around in a trenchcoat with a stick.  3 weeks ago, we'd have had all the healthpacks and time in the world to play these LRs.  A big part of the reception of this event is due to other things outside of this event.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Starfury said:

Yeah, and now please offer any example where that hypothetical scenario with rigged tokens comes into effect.

And remember: We're talking about tokens, tokens yield 1 (one) cover, not 0, not 100.

Finally, you make a compelling argument! Indeed, if we limit the maximum cover pulled to 1 cover per token, then the EV can starts telling us some useful information about the token pull.

However, by falling back on this restriction, you have conceded your argument that EV can be useful without any knowledge about the probability distribution. Because this 1 cover restriction is a hidden statement about the probability distribution. That is, every token has the following implicit probability:

0% chance to pull more than one cover (ignoring Bonus Heroes).

This knowledge about the probability distribution restricts the range of the EV, and is what allows us to infer the remaining probability distribution from a given EV. Without it, knowing the EV goes back to being useless.

So at the end of the day, it is still not the EV that is ultimately useful. It is the probability distribution we can gleam from it. And that is only possible by knowing something about the distribution in the first place.

*** As an add on (if you're actually interested in the math). There is a second implicit probability in tokens that is necessary to allows the EV to be useful in this case, which is:

At a particular tier, the probability of pulling any particular cover is uniform (or close to uniform in the case of 4*).

Without this assumption, you can easily rig a token advertised with an EV of ".02 5* & .6 4*" but have a 99.99999999% chance to pull a 5* Doctor Oct or 4* Sam Wilson when you get a 5* or 4*, respectively. Another example of why knowing the probability itself is a necessity. 
  • fanboy691
    fanboy691 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2017
    when i go to the entry screen, it has no activity. just a dead screen. anyone else ? this is the 2nd slice that i have tried.
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Lucifier said:
    I like.
    I don't like.

we are having almost same players in every bracket (20 players) no matter when i join, or whether the game was on or off when a new LR start.

it is 6 days event, 72 LR, it is not logical to stick with same players in the bracket.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    fanboy691 said:
    when i go to the entry screen, it has no activity. just a dead screen. anyone else ? this is the 2nd slice that i have tried.
    You are clicking on the wrong one. That is the overview. There is another block when the lightning round is running.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Lucifier said:
    Lucifier said:
    I like.
    I don't like.

we are having almost same players in every bracket (20 players) no matter when i join, or whether the game was on or off when a new LR start.

it is 6 days event, 72 LR, it is not logical to stick with same players in the bracket.
    Terrible idea. Saw one bracket where one player was basically the only one playing the last couple rounds and another one where the top 12 are chasing heroic and elite tokens.
  • Friarbundy
    Friarbundy Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    *yawn...
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'm sitting this out. It's extremely grindy and repetitive and the rewards are almost nonexistent. I've never understood the appeal of Lightning Rounds. But apparently people have been begging for this, so if they're happy then I'm glad they're enjoying it!
  • dstann
    dstann Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Having more LRs available is a good thing.  Getting them in place of a boss event is a change of pace that's better for ISO income, which is good for a lot of players.  

But the timing of it is really unfortunate.  Making more LRs available just after a change that increased PvP playtime for a lot of people isn't the ideal time to roll it out. 
    So they changed PVP to be wins based on the justification that it made it flexible for players to play when they wanted....then they run constant LRs for 6 days.....seems to go against being flexible for players to play when they want.
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    dstann said:

But the timing of it is really unfortunate.  Making more LRs available just after a change that increased PvP playtime for a lot of people isn't the ideal time to roll it out. 
    So they changed PVP to be wins based on the justification that it made it flexible for players to play when they wanted....then they run constant LRs for 6 days.....seems to go against being flexible for players to play when they want.
    I would like to have 6 days of LR, I can get 2 Heroic tokens from each LR, but I can not get one Heroic token from this Sakaar Arena.
    this is not 6 days of LR, this is 6 days of Sakaar Arena.
  • Thorstienn
    Thorstienn Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    I like it. Ultimately it's just more frequent LTd, so I actually take part in some. The 6day sakaar placements is just a random bonus.
    This so the 1st change that I would accept the frequent forum argument: it's just extra free stuff!
    Hit 3 LRs (and I mean 1 match) a day and you get rewards... he'll hit one in the whole 6 days and you getstill get placement haha.
    I DO agree that keeping the same 20 each round was silly.
    But unless every event you see you "just have to get top1" just look at this as what it is, a bonus, with no req  characters, levels, spending or real time investment.