New Versus Event - Sakaar Arena (10/26/17)

Options

Comments

• veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Not sure if you noticed last trends, but gamers prefer short visits and automated (or even idle/incremental) games over mindless grinding. Usual session made of PvE, PvP and DDQ takes approx. 3 hours each day (more if you consider new PvP system and SCL9 in PvE) and you are coming with this?
    Well, in the end, we dont have to catch every arena, right? Still, people wont be happy because of loss of potential loot and huge Heals outflow.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Amazed at how long and often it's running but still looking forward to it. Sounds crazy
  • TheXMan
    TheXMan Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like the idea of new things to try but how about lowering the time commitment in some other things so we have time to try some of these other things.  Maybe make the number of wins in pvp and the season simulator reasonable.  Maybe remove the 5 star node from CL7
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lets assume that just beating the 3 seed teams in all 72 rounds got you first place.

6 days
    72 x 3 = 216 wins
    216 wins = 10 tokens + 3,000 ISO. 
    Tokens are luck of the draw. You could end up with 10 5* or 10 2*.
    Lets look at ISO 3,000/216 = 13.9 ISO/win (rounded up)

That's if it only takes you 216 wins to get first place.

Let that sink in. 

Edit: 36 wins/day also.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    Lets assume that just beating the 3 seed teams in all 72 rounds got you first place.

6 days
    72 x 3 = 216 wins

Let that sink in. 

Now add in the ~130-160 expected iso from each battle reward.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Just to be clear, that rewards table is for placement for the full event, correct? (because being able to pick up 5-10 tokens EVERY TWO HOURS would be insane)

Is there a table that shows rewards for each two-hour, 20-person LR? 

Finally, the forum announcement says the LRs will begin at 1 EDT Friday, while the Marvel.com article says 1 PDT. Can we assume it's EDT (because the Marvel.com articles are... well, I won't be nasty.) 

• Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Beer40 said:

6 days
    72 x 3 = 216 wins

Let that sink in. 

Not sure where you get that figure? Is that an average you or someone else has figured out from previous LR? So first place gets you between 144-174 ISO per win?

Doesn't swing the needle enough for me but it's better at least.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Everyone on forums, every anniversary or holiday: OMFG BRING BACK 20 MAN LIGHTNING ROUNDS
    Devs: "Hey guys we slightly rebranded 20 man lightning rounds"
    Everyone: OMG WHO HAS TIME FOR 20 MAN LIGHTNING ROUNDS
    I wasn't around for that, but I was for the version they ran with C4rol when she released towards the start of the year. 

Overall, Lightning Rounds are probably my least favorite format of any event in the game. I rarely, if ever, play the normal ones they run. So this announcement has me less than enthused. 
  • DarthDeVo
    edited October 2017
    Options

Sakaar Arena Cover Store
    • The only way to get tokens is by competing in Sakaar Arena
    • 5-Star
      • Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme)
      • The Hulk (Bruce Banner)
      • Thor (Gladiator)
    • 4-Star
      • 3x that for Latest 4-Star characters
    • 3-Star
    • 2-Star

@Brigby I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly: The only way we have a shot of drawing Thor (or Banner or 5trange) covers is through tokens? There's no 25 CP/draw option the way we had for the Mes Amis or Hornhead stores? 

EDIT: Nevermind, just read the article on Marvel.com, and it sounds like the Friends From Work store will be similar to what I'm thinking of. 
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Daiches said:
    72 LRs over 6 days? And you have to play as much of them as possible to as high of a score as possible to even try ranking? And it's for tokens with 2 and 3 stars in them? While regular events are still running?

Ain't nobody got time for that.
    I get the impression that the top couple spots in each 90-minute round will give at least one of these tokens too, and the final score rewards are just a cherry on top.

But we will know in less than a day.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    During C4rol's Super Lightning Rounds, T1 got 2x Fight or Flight tokens, T2 got 1x FoF token, 3-8 got a regular Elite token, and 9-20 got ISO. My suspicion is we'll end up with similar rewards for these. 
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, Lightning Season? Is it all placement? Is there progression in the 20-min events and/or the overall event? Is the 2-day Lightning Rounds going to be on hold while the Sakaar Arena runs? Why am I not surprised the first posts were negative? 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So we compete in 20-person lightning round events.  And in addition to placement with each 20 person bracket, each LR also contributes to a consolidated event score that also has placement rewards?  Can we get some more details on exactly how the event is structured?

Are there any progression rewards or alliance rewards for this event?
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    Beer40 said:

6 days
    72 x 3 = 216 wins

Let that sink in. 

Not sure where you get that figure? Is that an average you or someone else has figured out from previous LR? So first place gets you between 144-174 ISO per win?

Doesn't swing the needle enough for me but it's better at least.
    Beer40 the 130-160 iso /win is a single fight reward (30 iso if you do not press skip, + 70 iso or 140 iso, 250iso, 1* cover or 2* cover), and I think it will also contain progression/placement reward for each single LR round.

I think it will be 2 rewards system, one for every 2 hours (exactly as LR) and the other one which include these special tokens is at the end of the event.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    Jarvind said:
    Everyone on forums, every anniversary or holiday: OMFG BRING BACK 20 MAN LIGHTNING ROUNDS
    Everyone: OMFG WHO HAS TIME FOR 20 MAN LIGHTNING ROUNDS
    I wasn't around for that, but I was for the version they ran with C4rol when she released towards the start of the year. 

Overall, Lightning Rounds are probably my least favorite format of any event in the game. I rarely, if ever, play the normal ones they run. So this announcement has me less than enthused. 
    Same here. I used to get so annoyed before they loosened the valve on ISO a bit and people were like "omg dude just play all lightning rounds you get tons of ISO" like guys I have a job.

I guess I'll probably play a few of these but I'm not gonna stress over it. If it's unpopular or unsuccessful, well, they clearly pay a lot of attention to their usage metrics.
  • DarthDeVo
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Jarvind said:
    Everyone: OMFG WHO HAS TIME FOR 20 MAN LIGHTNING ROUNDS

Same here. I used to get so annoyed before they loosened the valve on ISO a bit and people were like "omg dude just play all lightning rounds you get tons of ISO" like guys I have a job.

I guess I'll probably play a few of these but I'm not gonna stress over it. If it's unpopular or unsuccessful, well, they clearly pay a lot of attention to their usage metrics.
    I tried playing some last week during the double ISO (or whenever that was) and outside of clearing some seed teams, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I need ISO and all, but for some reason LRs feel like a bridge too far. 

I'll give these a shot too, but like you, I probably won't stress about them too much. Hopefully. 
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Here's what was posted in Discord.  As expected very close to what Sluggo posted for the Carol event.

• ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    The amount of complaining at any and everything is really annoying.
    Totally agree. Funny how people who complain about how much more time out of their lives the game is taking, still find time to complain in the forum about how they don't have time.

Maybe the the devs can just give all the complainers every character champed and maxed and create a quarantine event so they can all play with themselves