New Versus Event - Sakaar Arena (10/26/17)

Comments

• Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    @waywreth

but they said:
    • Progression and Placement rewards based on existing Lightning Rounds
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Lucifier said:
    @waywreth

but they said:
    It is.... scaled for 20 people.  As expected.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not even remotely interested in any of this. Thank you D3 for running this on vacation so it’s even easy to just skip. 
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    The original 20-man lightning rounds were, I believe, for 4Thor's release, and 1st and 2nd place granted Anniversary tokens. The Anniversary tokens were the main draw.

These still aren't bad. If memory serves me right, people were winning these by starting a match but not finishing it, waiting til a few seconds before the end of the event, and finishing the match. That puts you into a new bracket right at the end, and you can win first place by completing one match. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To everyone complaining there's so many of them, this is exactly what people have been asking for for a long time. LRs running all week. If you don't like them, just ignore them. If you happen to have time, leave the app open when a round starts, beat the 10 seed teams, and enjoy your iso.

• Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    waywreth said:
    Lucifier said:
    @waywreth

but they said:
    It is.... scaled for 20 people.  As expected.
    I hope not.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    scottee said:

To everyone complaining there's so many of them, this is exactly what people have been asking for for a long time. LRs running all week. If you don't like them, just ignore them. If you happen to have time, leave the app open when a round starts, beat the 10 seed teams, and enjoy your iso.

Yeah, I think most of the folks here just don't understand where the bulk of the rewards are. The main placement reward is intentionally designed to be pretty much nothing. It's only 10 tokens and 3000 iso for 1st place in a 6 day event. You're not suppose to care about fighting for this.

The vast large majority of the rewards will be coming from the lightning rounds themselves.

I think those who haven't done it before just don't quite grasp how few people a 20 man bracket is, and how easy it will be to win the tokens and iso.  
  • DrDoMe
    DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Look, I get that people constantly complaining is lame.  I'm perfectly happy to play this event and get what I get.  Which will be not much because I don't care about trying because these rewards are comically bad.

The top performer gets 10 tries at a .2% chance at a 5* cover and a 6% chance at a 4*?  That's a grand total of 2% chance of a 5* cover and 60% chance at a 4*!  I honestly don't know why anyone would put any real effort into an event that has that as the best case.  In my position, if I tried my very hardest, whales would still take the top 50 spots and I'd be looking at a pretty minimal chance at anything I can use, let alone anything to get excited about.

Honestly, this is not me complaining.  This is a dumb event with **** rewards but I am perfectly happy to basically ignore it and wind up getting what amounts to a few thousand iso.  But the devs should know this is a badly structured event with a bad rewards structure that is completely unexciting.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    DrDoMe said:

The top performer gets 10 tries at a .2% chance at a 5* cover and a 6% chance at a 4*?  That's a grand total of 2% chance of a 5* cover and 60% chance at a 4*!  
    That is not how probabilities work.  

Flipping a coin gives you a 50% chance of getting heads.  If you flip it twice do you have a 100% of getting heads?
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Harvey Dent does.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    DrDoMe said:

The top performer gets 10 tries at a .2% chance at a 5* cover and a 6% chance at a 4*?  That's a grand total of 2% chance of a 5* cover and 60% chance at a 4*!  

Flipping a coin gives you a 50% chance of getting heads.  If you flip it twice do you have a 100% of getting heads?
    By my reckoning, you should at least have a ~47% (1-0.938^10) chance of getting at least one 4* or 5* out of 10 draws, so while their math was bad, it wasn't *that* far off...or at least as far off as I personally expected it to be.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    D3 gonna D3. Either go overboard or not do anything at all.

The little bit of extra iso is nice though, whenever I get a chance to play, but going in this with zero expectations of getting anything other than 1 & 2 stars.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    It would be easier to do overtime in my job and purchase ISO/HP with extra money earned. Even with **** currency that I have in my country.

Like how much do they expect us to play daily just to not be in ISO debt?
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    If this was replacing normal PvP events, and done similarly to a short season, this would be pretty cool... This?  This is garbage.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    DrDoMe said:

Adding chances isn't wrong by itself.

If the odds are correct, the top performer wins an expected 0.02 5* covers and 0.6 4* covers.

Or for your example: 1.0 heads out of two flips.

• Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Starfury said:
    Vhailorx said:
    DrDoMe said:

Adding chances isn't wrong by itself.

If the odds are correct, the top performer wins an expected 0.02 5* covers and 0.6 4* covers.

Or for your example: 1.0 heads out of two flips.

"Adding chances" is definitely wrong.

In your examples, you're adding the expected outcomes, not the probability themselves. 

This distinction is very important, because the expected outcome tells us very little about the actual probability distribution of a random pull.

For example, imagine the following two types of tokens:

Token 1:
    .0001%  chance to give you 1000000 covers.
    99.9999% chance to give you nothing

Token 2:
    100% chance to give you 1 cover.

Both of these have the exact same expected outcome (1 cover). But if you were to receive only 1 of these tokens as a reward, which would you prefer? 

• WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    I think I will get the same moonstone, daken, obw from my pulls....or maybe I will be very lucky and pick a shiny venom Eddie Brock !

The more I think about this new event, the more I feel fooled again
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    I'm going to these between the other 140 wins I need daily. Plus eating and breathing!
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby: in future when you're listing exact times of day for events like this, would it be possible to list the times in UTC?  Or at the very least what the UTC offset of the local time you've listed is?

It'd be particularly useful around daylight saving transition times, since not everywhere switches on the same dates (and even when the transition dates are close, northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere will be changing in opposite directions).
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Guess I was wrong about the special tokens in the bracket for a Top #. Back to going for Heroics occasionally.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,739 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sandmaker said:
    scottee said:

Yeah, I think most of the folks here just don't understand where the bulk of the rewards are. The main placement reward is intentionally designed to be pretty much nothing. It's only 10 tokens and 3000 iso for 1st place in a 6 day event. You're not suppose to care about fighting for this.

The vast large majority of the rewards will be coming from the lightning rounds themselves.

I think those who haven't done it before just don't quite grasp how few people a 20 man bracket is, and how easy it will be to win the tokens and iso.  
    It being easy really depends on who the other 19 people in your bracket are, it could be very difficult to win anything if you're matched against much better rosters (my experience in the C4rol LR).