Infinity Season *Updated (9/19/17)

Comments

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm curious if the next test will be anything substantial outside of testing a win based pvp season and offering up Hulkbuster and Teen Jean as 4* covers in their events. Maybe the third test, if there is one, will offer a hybrid system that many people want, myself included. Now if they could just do a hybrid pvp system and fix progression rewards in pve (4 clears to get 15cp for max progression, 5+ clears for bonus progression rewards) then I think they could make the vast majority of the player base happy.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Beer40 said:

However, for what you've quoted: I've had this discussion before, not sure if it was with your or not, but 40+ point matches aren't that readily available to many of us. Many other posters will back me up on this. You take what you can get. Yeah, I expect retals to come. What I don't expect is to be shut down by dual 450+ 5* as someone who has no one over 285, unless boosted. Maybe that's due to my lack of experience with trying to get to 900 in PVP, I don't know.

This is what I'm not understanding. Waayyyy before I ever joined a LINE group, and when getting just 575 was still a new thing to me, I had a 3-star roster, and could not beat a 4-star team obviously. I could still q up teams of boosted 3-star character, for anywhere between 40-50 points. These matches would run out around the 500 mark, as this is around when a lot of 3-star rosters stopped climbing. At that point I would have to stop because from then on I could only q 4-star boosted teams, unboosted 4-star teams that I still couldn't beat, and 3-star teams that weren't worth the points. Once I champed a few 4-stars, I still essentially climbed on the same level of teams, but the 3-star matches began to run out much quicker. This however meant that I would start to see 40+ point matches against 4-star teams earlier as well. Once my champed 4-stars got into the double digits, I started seeing 50-60+ point matches immediately after the seed teams, if I got seed teams. 

I can get this complaint from someone much newer than you are, but for someone of your roster level, finding other 4-star matches worth 40+ points should not be that hard at all unless time is almost out on the event. 
  • Maceo511
    Maceo511 Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Hopefully they keep the CP in the placement rewards,
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    4* player here with only Peggy boosted this event. I saw plenty of 40+ point matches in Thor's pvp when I climbed in s1 with about 6 hours left in the event.  If people are getting hit by 5* teams, and aren't seeing any manageable opponents for ~38 points, then I'm guessing they're pushing in the 3 hour window, which is when a lot of the 4* teams in the 900s are already shielded.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Before I champed my first 5* I could climb to 900 in 20 or less wins EVERY event consistently. I'm 1 event off of 2 straight seasons of 900+ and should be more but I was lazy in the season that preceeded the last one. After I champed Phoenix near the beginning of this season I had to adjust my strategy slightly, but now I can hit 1000 in 20 or less wins. I see high point values after the seeds all the way up, to the point that I won't hit ANYTHING, except seeds, less than 38 points anymore. I still use no coordination and hit what is available to me except alliance mates.

A person with a 4* roster that is not able to hit 900 is not playing properly, there is no other way to say it. It's not evidence of a broken system, but evidence of an unwillingness to do what it takes! If other people can do it, so can you.....
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Those of you that like the current system, just because you have figured out how to make it work doesn't mean you can't adjust and you may even like it more.  

Instead of getting lucky, skipping a ton, or using line to find easy high point targets, you can just fight the easier targets for 20-40 points.  If they retal, oh well, that's just another easy target for you!

I recently champed my first 5* (Surfer), have a 435 OML, and some level 300+ 4* champs.  The rumors that all you see when you champ 5* are Panthos are not true, at least not in my case.  That could change as I champ more, but now I see a wide variety of 350-475 5's, boosted/champed 4's, and the less common unboosted 4.  I have no doubts that getting 30-40 wins will be easier for me than 900 points, mostly because I can play at my own pace and not worry about shields.  
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Pants1000 said:
    Those of you that like the current system, just because you have figured out how to make it work doesn't mean you can't adjust and you may even like it more.
    And rather than asking for a change that causes us to play more to get the same (or less depending on where the CP end up) rewards, you could learn to use the system that exists. As all those who came before you have. 
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Beer40 said:

However, for what you've quoted: I've had this discussion before, not sure if it was with your or not, but 40+ point matches aren't that readily available to many of us. Many other posters will back me up on this. You take what you can get. Yeah, I expect retals to come. What I don't expect is to be shut down by dual 450+ 5* as someone who has no one over 285, unless boosted. Maybe that's due to my lack of experience with trying to get to 900 in PVP, I don't know.

This is what I'm not understanding. Waayyyy before I ever joined a LINE group, and when getting just 575 was still a new thing to me, I had a 3-star roster, and could not beat a 4-star team obviously. I could still q up teams of boosted 3-star character, for anywhere between 40-50 points. These matches would run out around the 500 mark, as this is around when a lot of 3-star rosters stopped climbing. At that point I would have to stop because from then on I could only q 4-star boosted teams, unboosted 4-star teams that I still couldn't beat, and 3-star teams that weren't worth the points. Once I champed a few 4-stars, I still essentially climbed on the same level of teams, but the 3-star matches began to run out much quicker. This however meant that I would start to see 40+ point matches against 4-star teams earlier as well. Once my champed 4-stars got into the double digits, I started seeing 50-60+ point matches immediately after the seed teams, if I got seed teams. 

I can get this complaint from someone much newer than you are, but for someone of your roster level, finding other 4-star matches worth 40+ points should not be that hard at all unless time is almost out on the event.

Slice 5 is the only slice that works well for me, generally speaking. I run out of 40-50 point teams usually around 600-700, outside of getting lucky. Another thing people seem to forget is that the point totals you see are also effected by which slice you're choosing. Slice 5 people aren't seeing the same point totals as Slice 4 or Slice 1.

If I were going to propose a solution, it would be the already suggested one of just simply opening up MMR at the top end. Since decoupling points from progression means the lower roster don't have to care as much about if/when they get beat, let the high level rosters beat up on them if they need/want to.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Pants1000 said:

Instead of getting lucky, skipping a ton, or using line to find easy high point targets, you can just fight the easier targets for 20-40 points.  If they retal, oh well, that's just another easy target for you!

I recently champed my first 5* (Surfer), have a 435 OML, and some level 300+ 4* champs.  The rumors that all you see when you champ 5* are Panthos are not true, at least not in my case.  That could change as I champ more, but now I see a wide variety of 350-475 5's, boosted/champed 4's, and the less common unboosted 4.  I have no doubts that getting 30-40 wins will be easier for me than 900 points, mostly because I can play at my own pace and not worry about shields.  
    In Ravager Clan I documented in another thread my climbs, shields, hops, etc. I hit 9xx points in exactly 20 wins. Yeah, I'm sure I'll love having to play MORE matches to earn the SAME rewards. Just what I wanted after Story progression was increased to 5 clears...... more grinding......
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Merrick said:
    Pants1000 said:
    And rather than asking for a change that causes us to play more to get the same (or less depending on where the CP end up) rewards, you could learn to use the system that exists. As all those who came before you have. 
    I do understand that many players been playing for long time and you get better of understanding how the VERSUS works and what tactics to use to get good points/placement.

BUT, for new players, is one year is enough to start being able to hit 900 points, and after how long should be able to hit 1200 points (is it 2 years), that one of the reasons i think the PVP progression system is not fine (need something to change).
    and what mentioned above is without using Line chat application (or others) to coordinate, it is ok (no problem with that), but not all players are willing to use Line for VERSUS coordination.

for THORE VERSUS (i have him champed), i couldn't hit 700, why, because when i get close to 700 (and i only need one more fight to win to hit 700+), when i win a fight, i found out i got hit and lost points.
    i repeated that like 4 or 5 times, i shielded at 698.
    to be honest, it was busy hour (so many online players, last 1 or 2 hours of the event), but the idea still the same.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Lucifier I don't disagree with you that the system is not good for 1-2 year players who are trying to transition to 4* land and achieve the 4* progression.  Here was the problem with the last test.  
    I am a 5* player shield rank 116 and I went down to CL6 in the test.  Why did I do this you might ask because all I care about is the CP so I can try and pull more 5*.  I opened with seed teams and only used 3* and on the last seed team I put out my 2 lowest level 3* and the loaner 3*.  I then waited for everyone who was low level to hit me and then I used 4* to retailiate.  I did then waited for more hit to retaliate on 4* players with my 5*.  I then climbed at the end and easily took top 5 for my extra CP.  the system of total wins being in progression means I have to put pout week teams to face so I don't climb too high.  I should be going in CL8 so 3-4* players can be playing in CL6 and are able to place in top 10 not a 5* player.

i said it earlier their should be an either or equation.  Hit 900 points or X number of wins for the 4* progression.  They should also add CL9 and place a 5* at top point progression since 5* players are the ones who can level 5*.  This will also keep higher end players from playing lower CL and lower CL players can earn more 4*
  • Gari
    Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Milk Jugz said:
    Pants1000 said:

In Ravager Clan I documented in another thread my climbs, shields, hops, etc. I hit 9xx points in exactly 20 wins. Yeah, I'm sure I'll love having to play MORE matches to earn the SAME rewards. Just what I wanted after Story progression was increased to 5 clears...... more grinding......
    13 to 15 for me. I hunt the fat targets just as they want to shield, what are they gojng to do, retal? Spending days is just a waste of time. If you dont have a good roster at least learn to be fast. Because your roster will jmprove. Game speed if you didnt work at it? Probably not. And dont bother with the cant hit 900 crowd. Learn from those who can

• Gari
    edited September 2017
    Vhailorx said:
    Dormammu said:
    Who cares? It's an off-season. Take it off and skip it. Or play a few matches and get some prizes.

It's just another test. Not the final product.
    I care, because demi doesnt test things in the offseason unless they want to implement the change during the season.  And this is a second test, which means demi is really serious about this wins-for-prog change.  

And it's a terrible change so long as they want to double the amount of play necessary for even 4* rewards.  
    Exactly my earlier point. These *people* will be the *ones* which dev will use to say, oh its popular now and then cram it down our throats. The first test was a failure and boycott this if you *agree.*

• Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    I loved the first test. It was the only time I actually enjoyed PvP.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    to be honest, it was busy hour (so many online players, last 1 or 2 hours of the event), but the idea still the same.

How many times do experienced players have to say that climbing late for weaker rosters is not advisable? Not sure if you're expecting sympathy, but you're unlikely to get much. 

3Thor has been around for a long time so having him champed is hardly a competitive advantage, you need to just play a bit smarter.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we at least wait until the preview is up, with rewards tables, before we decide whether we like it?  And I say, the best way to protest is not boycott, but stop playing at low wins, if you dislike the structure/requirements. The metrics will drive changes, as much or more than forum opinions.

Some found enjoyment last time using different teams vs always leaving best defensive one up.  YMMV.

Anyone who wants IMHB or JG will grind for them, though.  I'm sure overall engagement will go up.
  • Gari
    Its hopeless Vhairlox. I think people have to be prepared to quit pvp