Postscript: Bugged Falcon rewards timer

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Will,

Thank you so much for commenting. A great deal of frustration around this issue had stemmed from lack of communication, which I understand was driven in part by the busy convention schedule all of you had in May.

I recognize (after repeated pounding from others in this selfsame thread) that neither removing the rewards nor giving out additional extra rewards would have been practical solutions. What galls some players, however, is that this is still a limited availability character, and some players, through a bug, got a head start toward 13/13 that the rest of us had no access to. As you can see in my post this morning, we're hoping there are enough Falcon rewards offered in the near future to equalize that imbalance.

I'm guessing you're not going to reveal your rewards plans to use here, but for what it's worth, I'm putting in my vote for one more round of Falcon covers as rewards sooner rather than later!

Thanks again for posting. It's really appreciated.
  • Unknown
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    Will,

Thank you so much for commenting. A great deal of frustration around this issue had stemmed from lack of communication, which I understand was driven in part by the busy convention schedule all of you had in May.

I recognize (after repeated pounding from others in this selfsame thread) that neither removing the rewards nor giving out additional extra rewards would have been practical solutions. What galls some players, however, is that this is still a limited availability character, and some players, through a bug, got a head start toward 13/13 that the rest of us had no access to. As you can see in my post this morning, we're hoping there are enough Falcon rewards offered in the near future to equalize that imbalance.

I'm guessing you're not going to reveal your rewards plans to use here, but for what it's worth, I'm putting in my vote for one more round of Falcon covers as rewards sooner rather than later!

This strikes me as odd. You could reconstruct this same argument to complain if you joined the game after a certain point in time.

It's also like complaining about the people that have 5/5/5 covers on characters like their IM35.
  • Unknown
    Options
    rashabon wrote:
    wathombe wrote:
    Will,

This strikes me as odd. You could reconstruct this same argument to complain if you joined the game after a certain point in time.

It's also like complaining about the people that have 5/5/5 covers on characters like their IM35.
    Which people have 5/5/5 IM35s
  • Unknown
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    rashabon wrote:
    wathombe wrote:
    Will,

Which people have 5/5/5 IM35s

I don't know any names, you can ask for them. Or maybe it was just 5/5/4 as opposed to 5/5/5.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    rashabon wrote:
    wathombe wrote:
    Will,

It is an odd argument, and as I pointed out before, it also ignores the fact that people can buy covers. The idea that players should be on equal footing with covers, particularly a few weeks after a cover has been added to various token packs, is silly.

My luck with token pulls after buying the 10-pack in the last Falcon event means I now have a fully covered Falcon. Not only that, but I have now sold one blue and two purple -- the covers that were given by the glitch. So my "head start" is already negated.

And some of the people who began playing very early on still have 5/5/5 IM35s because the original characters did not have the 13 of 15 cover limitation. You could get all 15 covers. When that was changed, people who already had 5/5/5 builds were allowed to keep them.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And some of the people who began playing very early on still have 5/5/5 IM35s because the original characters did not have the 13 of 15 cover limitation. You could get all 15 covers. When that was changed, people who already had 5/5/5 builds were allowed to keep them.

Almost. Prior to R40, maxing out a skill required 20 covers. When this was reduced to 5, anyone with at least 16 covers in any one skill was upgraded to level 5. This is why 5/5/5 are out in the wild. I believe these have since been flagged as illegal characters and are not allowed in events, but still remain in player's rosters.

The game has never allowed players to max out all 3 skills simultaneously. (50/60 became 13/15)
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Almost. Prior to R40, maxing out a skill required 20 covers. When this was reduced to 5, anyone with at least 16 covers in any one skill was upgraded to level 5. This is why 5/5/5 are out in the wild. I believe these have since been flagged as illegal characters and are not allowed in events, but still remain in player's rosters.

The game has never allowed players to max out all 3 skills simultaneously. (50/60 became 13/15)
    They're allowed in Events, they just keep throwing off non-fatal errors on our servers whenever they're used is all.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If a bug results in being just a little too generous to a few players, we'll typically let those folks keep the extra loot. The alternative would be removing those extra rewards, and that introduces some really hairy problems (players will have received some of the rewards and made decisions based on that, some rewards will have been sold, maybe the proceeds have been used...).

It doesn't seem to me like there's a particularly sensible way to compensate other folks for what they might have missed by not being affected by a bug. Even if there were, that wouldn't make the game better; that just amplifies whatever distortion the bug caused.

This bug was unrelated to any other rewards bugs we've encountered. We've fixed it for any future runs of the event and put in some checks to catch similar problems. (This is software, though, and there are infinite ways things can go wrong; I can guarantee that given enough time, we'll find another rewards issue - maybe the next one will be in your favor, wathombe.)

For starters you guys could, you know, not swap the 1100 yellow falcon cover for a rag cover you guys KNOW nobody wants or needs lol....THAT is what I call "amplifying the distortion." I guess it depends on who you are talking to. The distortion is only applified to THE DEVS in what you are stating. The distortion is being amplified TO THE PLAYER in throwing a useless cover nobody wanted or was expecting onto a slot everyone was expecting to have yellow falcon (which would have allowed ppl to reach 5 yellow, thusly mitigating the biggest player negative of the mishap (as falcon is all about his yellow).

But yea...is this rag cover @1100 a bug or what? Kinda like spitting in poor wathombe's face if its not a bug.
  • Unknown
    Options
    For starters you guys could, you know, not swap the 1100 yellow falcon cover for a rag cover you guys KNOW nobody wants or needs lol....THAT is what I call "amplifying the distortion." I guess it depends on who you are talking to. The distortion is only applified to THE DEVS in what you are stating. The distortion is being amplified TO THE PLAYER in throwing a useless cover nobody wanted or was expecting onto a slot everyone was expecting to have yellow falcon (which would have allowed ppl to reach 5 yellow, thusly mitigating the biggest player negative of the mishap (as falcon is all about his yellow).

You know, I had been assuming they would rotate and offer a blue or purple cover at 1100. As such, I wasn't terribly annoyed, because it would not have erased the two-cover gap yet. You're right, though. Had they offered the (entirely expected and precedented) yellow cover at 1100, that would have gone a long way toward correcting the bug, as everyone who received the bugged covers is already at 5 yellow.

WHY DO YOU SPIT IN MY FACE, D3?! icon_razz.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    ...maybe the next one will be in your favor, wathombe.

Oh, and guess what, Will? Another huge **** up today (although not a rewards issue), and once again not in my favor!

(Man, I am in serious danger of earning the mantle of biggest whiner in the forum. I'm sorry, people, I'm just hugely aggrieved.)
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    ...maybe the next one will be in your favor, wathombe.

Oh, and guess what, Will? Another huge tinykitty up today (although not a rewards issue), and once again not in my favor!

(Man, I am in serious danger of earning the mantle of biggest whiner in the forum. I'm sorry, people, I'm just hugely aggrieved.)
    Well, it's not like evilsongoku is around much any more... icon_lol.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    So I’m starting the timer now: from 9am PDT on May 7, 2014, how long will it take for D3 to offer another full set of Falcon covers and finally correct the imbalance created by the bugged cover reward (however minor one may believe that imbalance to be)?

Just a little update to piss in everyone's Wheaties: for those who said the bugged Falcon rewards didn't matter because the devs "eventually offer enough covers to complete the character," it's now been two weeks since Falcon covers were last offered, at which point the bug beneficiaries moved to 12/13 and the aggrieved classes were left stuck at 10/13.

I'll be back with another timer update in a couple weeks, no doubt!
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Not seeing a single Falcon in PvP - and I see maxed LTs alright. He's too supportive to matter much.
  • Unknown
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    wathombe wrote:
    So I’m starting the timer now: from 9am PDT on May 7, 2014, how long will it take for D3 to offer another full set of Falcon covers and finally correct the imbalance created by the bugged cover reward (however minor one may believe that imbalance to be)?

Just a little update to piss in everyone's Wheaties: for those who said the bugged Falcon rewards didn't matter because the devs "eventually offer enough covers to complete the character," it's now been two weeks since Falcon covers were last offered, at which point the bug beneficiaries moved to 12/13 and the aggrieved classes were left stuck at 10/13.

I'll be back with another timer update in a couple weeks, no doubt!

There is almost certainly going to be a set of Falcon rewards before the next time he's required or buffed, so to be fair from this point forward it's already evened out.
  • Unknown
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Not seeing a single Falcon in PvP - and I see maxed LTs alright. He's too supportive to matter much.

Like I said, removing the argument of the quality of the character, etc., etc. "(however minor one may believe that imbalance to be)," it's just a timer.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I got the bugged rewards. My 4/4/3 lvl 40 falcon that I've used next to none, typically started with him until he died on falcon events then switched to the hand out falcon, has helped me soooo much up to this point. I forgot this was even a thing it helped so much.
  • Unknown
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    locked wrote:

Like I said, removing the argument of the quality of the character, etc., etc. "(however minor one may believe that imbalance to be)," it's just a timer.

Then change the thread title. It's quite clear that the rewards did not matter.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    wathombe wrote:
    locked wrote:

Then change the thread title. It's quite clear that the rewards did not matter.

Actually, in regards to the season, I believe it did. Those that did have stronger falcons were able to take advantage of kyipgate and therefore managed to carve out a big advantage. In brackets where the top were differentiated by a few 100 points it definitely made a difference.
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Having a 3-blue or a 4-blue Falcon matters a lot actually in terms of handling those pesky countdowns ;-p
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    As much as I'm with you, wathombe (meaning I'd like more acknowledgement from the devs), I was one of the beneficiaries of kyipgate and I barely ran my own Falcon, opting to take the loaner instead - free healthpacks! My own was too much of a pushover and would be at 2 covers more. I don't remember seeing non-loaner Falcons often either.