Postscript: Bugged Falcon rewards timer

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    That wouldn't solve anything if they offered him as rewards an extra time. I would just win all 3 of his covers again and still have 2 extra.

Not once you hit 13/13. Everyone would be able to complete the character in a shorter period of time. If, for instance, they have a typical window that they offer enough covers to hit 13/13 over the course of four weeks (4-5 events), then drastically taper off the rewards, they might instead offer those covers in one more event (i.e., 5-6 events) over that same span of time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Maybe the devs should take away all the first place finishers 4* rewards.

This didn't detract from anyone who finished outside of 1st place. It did reward those who finished 1st. There are plenty of mechanisms in this game that reward those who came first over those who didn't.

This really isn't the massive issue you make it out to be.
  • Unknown
    Options
    jozier wrote:

No, because those were the promised rewards. Don't you agree that a tournament should award the prizes it promises to award? The fact that the bonus is going to the 1st place finisher shouldn't matter anymore than if the bonus were going to the 5th place finisher or 250th place finisher or the last place finisher.
  • Unknown
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    jozier wrote:

No, because those were the promised rewards. Don't you agree that a tournament should award the prizes it promises to award? The fact that the bonus is going to the 1st place finisher shouldn't matter anymore than if the bonus were going to the 5th place finisher or 250th place finisher or the last place finisher.

Yes, I agree that the devs should give the awards they promise to award. Which is why the problem was solved when D3 gave everyone who came in first their Magneto rewards.

The people who come in first either put more time or more money into the game than other players. They got rewarded by accident for their efforts. Again, this does not detract from the experience of the people that didn't finish first, anymore than it's "unfair" that only people that place 1st get 4* covers.

I feel like you wouldn't be complaining if all the people who came first got an extra IW or X-Force. You're complaining because the people who came first got an extra Falcon which is something you want.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    If you've been a video game customer for 35 years, then you know that video game companies used to have ZERO customer service, because once they put the cartridge/cd in the box, they never had to do anything about it again. Plenty of games with gamebreaking bugs never got patched or updated. And oh well, you're out your $50.

35 years ago (or hell, even 20), shipping games with gamebreaking bugs meant the company went under, or at least suffered a crippling loss.
    There wasn't the lazy QA period today that the ability to ship patches allows

edit: well, for a definition of making the game unplayable, rather than exploitable/odd glitches icon_razz.gif
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If a comic book shop is giving away one copy of a new comic, issue #1, to the first 50 customers in line, and they accidentally also give issue #2 to the first joe in line, so he has both, they can't do anything about it. They can't take #2 back from joe, and it wouldn't make sense to give issue #2 to everyone else in line. Was it a mistake? Yes. Should they leave the situation alone and chalk it up as a mistake? Yes. Will said unreleased issue #2 become super valuable and subsequently make joe a lot of money? Probably. That doesn't mean everyone else was negatively affected.
  • Unknown
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    That doesn't mean everyone else was negatively affected.

Only because the point of comic books aren't to fight each other with them.
  • Unknown
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    The people who come in first either put more time or more money into the game than other players. They got rewarded by accident for their efforts. Again, this does not detract from the experience of the people that didn't finish first, anymore than it's "unfair" that only people that place 1st get 4* covers.

Again, it shouldn't matter which rank gets an unwarranted reward, it's still unfair to the other ranks. You'd agree that it's unfair to the first-place finishers if 2-5 erroneously got a 4* cover like the first-place finisher, wouldn't you?
    I feel like you wouldn't be complaining if all the people who came first got an extra IW or X-Force. You're complaining because the people who came first got an extra Falcon which is something you want.

Fair point. As I said above, I was a first-place finisher for a couple of those tourneys in which 1st place did not get the correct ISO that the next rank got. Like everyone else, I got to keep the extra 250 ISO (or whatever), and no one said anything. Covers are a little different, though, and one of the concerns here is that in the future, it could be something much more significant than Falcon or much more sizable than just two covers.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you come first you deserve what you get. A bug gifted me with falcon covers but if you came first you would have been gifted with falcon covers. This thread just sounds like sour grapes.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2014
    Options
    beemand2g wrote:
    If you come first you deserve what you get. A bug gifted me with falcon covers but if you came first you would have been gifted with falcon covers. This thread just sounds like sour grapes.

Yup, that's it, keep piling on.

If I had given a tinykitty about whatever 4* cover was up there, I could have finished first. I've finished first plenty. If they had advertised two extra Falcon covers, or just one cover, I could have finished first. There was literally no one from the forum in my bracket. As it was, I made 900 for the HP and let it lie so I could focus on the absolutely tinykittying nightmarish hell that was the Hunt for Falcon.
  • scottee
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    That doesn't mean everyone else was negatively affected.

Only because the point of comic books aren't to fight each other with them.

Let's put a real number to it then. By releasing two Falcon covers to all of the bracket winners, how much of a disadvantage does this put the rest of the players at? How much effect does this really have? Does it make the game 5% harder for you? 2%? Most of those who ended up with covers would probably say less than .5%.

For the earliest two events, Top Gun and the Simulator, when the advantage should be the largest, because only 3 other covers had been released, the advantage is nearly zero. Did someone skip/lose to a player because they had a Falcon with 5 covers instead of 3? No, because they're still super squishy. Are they doing better in the Simulator with a 5 covered Falcon instead of 3? Probably by a miniscule amount. The only real advantage is having 1 Falcon cover when most have none, so you can play the required nodes. I would bet 98% of the players who got the free Falcons already had his first cover from the PVE.
  • Unknown
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    beemand2g wrote:

Yup, that's it, keep piling on.

If I had given a tinykitty about whatever 4* cover was up there, I could have finished first. I've finished first plenty. If they had advertised two extra Falcon covers, or just one cover, I could have finished first. There was literally no one from the forum in my bracket. As it was, I made 900 for the HP and let it lie so I could focus and the absolutely tinykitty nightmarish hell that was the Hunt for Falcon.

So there you go. Those that pushed to finish first were rewarded for it. It's not like you didn't get what you were promised.

It really IS just sour grapes on your part. You're not complaining that you weren't gifted what you were promised, you're complaining that you weren't gifted what you weren't promised. D3 had no obligation to give anyone Falcon covers in the Doom tourney. They ended up giving Falcon covers to those that finished first overall in their bracket. A bonus instead of the usual bonus of bragging rights and a mostly useless 4* cover.
  • Unknown
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    You're not complaining that you weren't gifted what you were promised, you're complaining that you weren't gifted what you weren't promised.

No, I'm complaining that there was a bug and arguing that it matters to give collectible commodities away to some and not to others. I'm further arguing that this bug in the future could give away collectible commodities that are more meaningful than Falcon covers.

I find it telling that a plain majority of the posters in this thread finished first and are essentially saying, "Yes, we deserve extra things because we are better than everyone else."

I'm clearly not going to change any minds. The point stands that this would be a better game if there were more communication from D3 and, when warranted, accountability for mistakes.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think what OP has brought up once or twice now is an important argument/discussion to have:

What if the next bug that issues additional covers instead gives #25-50 the two covers from the previous PvP (i.e. top 10 reward)? So now they are getting 3 covers when they only earned one.

It is easy to write this current bug off as a minor issue because it only effects 1 in 500 players and as has been pointed out so nicely by psykopathic (sorry about spelling if wrong, not gonna go back and recheck it) those players definitely don't need the extra covers as they will win them eventually anyway and likely have 3+ 141 characters so even an earlier maxed Falcon won't really help them. Also it's easy to say that because they came in 1st, they "earned" those extra rewards; it's just a bonus to them, so no big deal to the rest of us. But what if a similar bug happens that effects many more people, or people that didn't "earn" those rewards as my hypothetical situation above? Then many more people would be upset by this, and understandably so. I think this is the argument the OP is making, and why he would prefer a more "fair" handling in this situation, so that if my hypothetical situation occurs (or something even worse/more egregious) the devs can correct it without creating the imbalance that so many extra covers might have (and they wouldn't have a precedent of letting everyone keep the covers that they perhaps didn't earn).
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    People who defend the glitch are mostly those who got those bonus covers and thus do not have to cough up the additional 2500 HP. I somehow don't think how they would be saying otherwise considering how they benefited...
    It's lame but whatever - nothing can be done about it but try to always go for 1st whenever there is PvE and PvP ending at the same time *shrug*
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    all I got from the OP's post was 'LT is clearly overpowered and game-breaking'

which I kinda agree with!
    In all seriousness, going to read the thread now though.

The devs aren't exactly lazy, but come on... Instead of fixing the two infinite turn characters (don't you dare ragnify them though) they scale things to the stratosphere. Problem fixed!
  • Unknown
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    I think what OP has brought up once or twice now is an important argument/discussion to have:

What if the next bug that issues additional covers instead gives #25-50 the two covers from the previous PvP (i.e. top 10 reward)? So now they are getting 3 covers when they only earned one.

It is easy to write this current bug off as a minor issue because it only effects 1 in 500 players and as has been pointed out so nicely by psykopathic (sorry about spelling if wrong, not gonna go back and recheck it) those players definitely don't need the extra covers as they will win them eventually anyway and likely have 3+ 141 characters so even an earlier maxed Falcon won't really help them.
    If ("when" lol) I get first in the Punisher tournament, and a bug caused me to receive no rewards whatsoever; no covers, no iso, no HP; that would not affect my performance in future tournaments one iota either, but I sure as heck would submit a ticket and the community would be angry about it. I don't think "i don't even NEED those covers, man" is a very good argument
  • scottee
    Options
    I didn't receive free covers. In fact, I was top 5, so if the proposed free covers were given out to others, I would benefit.

With that said, I still don't think it's necessary. Again, fairness isn't everyone getting the same. It's about everyone getting what they deserve. Yes, the winners got more than they deserve. The only way to fully correct the mistake is to go back in time and not have it happen. The next closest thing would be to take back the covers, which as I explained in a previous post, is not ideal either, though probably the least negative. In such a situation, I find it perfectly acceptable to leave things be, because inaction is better than an action that has further negative consequences.

The "collection" effect doesn't not have as much impact as people are thinking. If this game were a race to collect every cover, then yes, that would be a direct effect. But this game is a match-three battle where what covers you have affect some of the attributes. And that's even if someone's using the character they got extra covers for.

Seriously, what do you think the extra covers are going to cost you? You'll place one rank lower in the next tourney because of it? I don't even see that much happening.

No one's saying it wasn't a glitch. No one's saying some players didn't get extra covers they weren't supposed to. I'm just saying the effect is so negligible that leaving the situation be seems like the right course of action. And yes, the size does matter. If they accidentally released one of every cover to 10% of the player base, of course they should do something about it. If they accidentally release 5 extra heroic tokens to one bracket of 500 people? Good for the lucky ones, let's move on with life.
  • Unknown
    Options
    @scottee - You're a very reasonable voice, and it's hard to argue with most of what you have had to say throughout the thread, so thank you for that. I will quibble with one point, though--I would argue that collecting covers IS one of the points of the game. Yes, it's a match-three game, but it's also a collectible game not unlike a TCG, in which the more characters you collect, the better you are able to pursue the other aspect of the game.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Read the thread.

You know there's actually no character that powerful that is worth worrying about. Oh noes, someone got 2 extra covers of Z - nah... Somehow not bothering me in the slightest. Not even LT, hah!
    Of course, having bugs and glitches is worrisome, but I, like most players (I believe), would rather have the devs work on other aspects of the game.
    Not to say that glitches shouldn't be worked on, just... there are worse issues right now.

I swear it ain't personal *looks at her lvl 330 Deadly node in the Sim somberly*