Postscript: Bugged Falcon rewards timer

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I remember somebody mentioned once that their standard tokens turned into heroic tokens. So this person ended up with dozens of heroics because of saving up standard tokens.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    EDIT: Simply saying, "Look, we tinykittied up, we're sorry, but here's what we're going to do about it" would make such a world of difference.
    The rest of your argument aside, this last line is just excellent customer service 101. It's a basic and required rule in organizations that are considered to have top-notch CS. The good will you get from giving a little extra to everyone will generally outweigh the negative reaction to doing nothing.

This. More than anything else - even more than fixing a bug where some players get different rewards - the communication and the culture around communication at demiurge needs to improve.

When it's on, the communication is great. The discourse and feedback loop that occurs is exactly the sort of thing I like to see.
    But when it's off, it's complete radio silence. Shipping an update with an unpopular change? Well, don't mention it in the patch notes and everyone stay off the forums for 2-3 days.

And that's unacceptable.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Moral wrote:
    Personally, I felt less sympathetic when I heard the OP knows this has happened before and still didn't go for first

I don't think that's justifiable. You can't be required to anticipate that the system is going to mess up.

After that rant about ice cream and high end sports cars it's hard not to see it that way. He makes it sound as if something like this has happened previously, much like the now infamous Kyip glitch which has apparently happened twice before.

Unlike jozier, I don't believe the first place players earned or deserved the extra covers. They just hit the cosmic jackpot that paid out while their number was up.

The sporting thing to do is congratulate them on their good fortune and strive to pound them into the dirt in future tournaments. Not complain how you would have tried harder if you knew the payout was better.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I remember somebody mentioned once that their standard tokens turned into heroic tokens. So this person ended up with dozens of heroics because of saving up standard tokens.

It was nemek I believe.

Also, they really just needed to not respond to tickets from ppl unless they hadn't used thier falcon.covers yet. Then they swap the falcon for mag covers. Imo that puts things as close to even as possible. Yes, falcon is a new cover and many have a maxed cover magneto and therefore didn't care or didn't try for first...but ppl are caring a little too much about other ppl's covers with this. You really cannot TAKE away covers for a number of reasons, first among them being that its ill-will, which is not something a company based on microtransactiobs wants. As long as the right number of 3*** covers were given here, while it might be mildly unfair...its not a hugely unfair situtation.

That said, what happens if this tournement the yellow iw (nobody cares about her) turns into a yellow fury? That's a little more important than mag into falcon covers imo. I don't know what I would think then. Does it make me hypocritical to only care when its a change I care about? Well...yes...but I also imagine I tend to be more even keeled than most so if I am calling.foul there usually is something at least mildly significant going down. I don't think I would complain or make a bunch of threads but I would be pretty unhappy to miss a chance at a new 4**** who looks to actually live up to his ranking.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options

It was nemek I believe.

Still saving them, too! Up to 241 heroics, about 180 of them were from the bug. It did affect a certain percentage of people, though...not just me. I don't think the correct way to handle it would be to give 180 heroics to everybody.

For reference, this is what CS told me at the time:
    Hello!

The standard tokens were not intended to be changed but since they did you are welcome to keep them.
    If you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It wasn't just Nemek, it was a bunch of people.

Essentially all their regular tokens turned into heroic tokens. Some people had hundreds saved up. I think I had 2.

In that instance, some people got very lucky. In comparison, I think that was a bigger deal than this whole Falcon mess.

To the OP....you do realize you are getting all worked up over pixels right? It's just not worth it. This game is not perfect, far from it. If anything, the lack of their ability to optimize their MMR, their scaling, their reward system....should kind of tell you they don't exactly have the best programmers out there. A lot of good ideas, frequently with poor execution.

If this isn't acceptable for you, if you are going to get all bent out of shape over it, then maybe this isn't the game for you. I'm not trying to be snarky, but trying to save you some grief, because I can almost guarantee you there are more mistakes coming down the pike, and it's just not worth it to get so worked up over. I didn't when people were getting 10s to 100s of free heroic tokens. You shouldn't just because a small minority, myself included, got some covers for a 2nd rate 3* hero. In the future, I may benefit from another error, or maybe you will. Who cares? Just play to enjoy the game, and the rewards will still be coming in.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nemek wrote:

It was nemek I believe.

Still saving them, too! Up to 241 heroics, about 180 of them were from the bug. It did affect a certain percentage of people, though...not just me. I don't think the correct way to handle it would be to give 180 heroics to everybody.

Hello!

The standard tokens were not intended to be changed but since they did you are welcome to keep them.

Yea, I just think u were the one that posted the pic the person I responded to remembered. I don't know how many others had the same thing happen, but I don't remember anyone else posting a pic of the huge # of tokens.

And yea, clearly a bigger issue. All I thought then was "damn, lucky nemek. At least it happened to good guy nemek." I mean, in a game where we can't see how much money is dropped it doeant make a lot of sense to get too irritated by things. Also, I am almost always unlucky, so no it won't happen to me lol.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nemek wrote:

It was nemek I believe.

Hello!

Yea, I just think u were the one that posted the pic the person I responded to remembered. I don't know how many others had the same thing happen, but I don't remember anyone else posting a pic of the huge # of tokens.

And yea, clearly a bigger issue. All I thought then was "damn, lucky nemek. At least it happened to good guy nemek." I mean, in a game where we can't see how much money is dropped it doeant make a lot of sense to get too irritated by things. Also, I am almost always unlucky, so no it won't happen to me lol.
    I think you make a great point about money. The OP's complaint is that some people might have an extra two covers of a character and that might give them more power in a future event. But players always have the option of buying covers so there always will be some disparities in covers for new characters. For much of Top Gun, I had a Falcon with more covers than most of my opponents because I decided to take a flier on a 10-pack and pulled three Falcon covers and then bought a daily deal and got another. With the glitch and the cover for hitting 1100, I was quickly at 3/4/4. Now, I recognize it would have cost me more to reach that point without the glitch, but would facing a 3/3/3 Falcon be that different from facing a 3/4/4 one?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    wathombe, regardless of everything else - props for being patient when jozier posts in your thread from his high horse

this takes some nerves!
  • Unknown
    Options
    locked wrote:
    wathombe, regardless of everything else - props for being patient when jozier posts in your thread from his high horse

this takes some nerves!

Ha! Thank you, sir. And thank you for bringing some much-needed levity to the thread!
  • Unknown
    Options
    I scored 1344 in that event, which is more than most bracket winners. I shielded up in #1 and got beat in the final hour while I was stuck in class doing a final.

Now, I was whining quite a bit when I didn't get the falcon covers which were mistakenly handed out to the bracket winners. Like OP and others, I felt like I should've packaged all mag covers awarded in that event with corresponding falcon covers. But then I soon came around to the fact that I got what I was promised, so there isn't a huge fuss to be made.

And I also remember Teddy Sheringham (GGMU!) saying once in an interview, "Life isn't fair, if life was fair it'd be called fair. But it isn't; it's called life." In a **** way, it made a very sensible point. And it got me through this ''falcon-gate" bug. To cut a long story short, I felt happy again for my fellow alliance members who benefited from the bug and spent 2500hp on two falcon covers to ease my pain. I'm cool with all of that, and I don't expect or hope that D3 will offer me any more falcon covers. They shouldn't have to; I didn't earn them.

But what really gets under my skin is reading posts by winners who say, "we deserved the extra falcon covers because we earned it by being better than the rest." That just smacks of infantile arrogance. On one hand you are quick to tell the rest, "it's fair because you got what you were promised", and on the other you are saying, "it's fair even though we got more than we were promised?". Gimme a break you guys. I don't care how many points you beat the #2 guy by, you still got lucky with a stupid bug. Admit your luck, and get on with it. But don't be obnoxious by trying to claim you're sooo good, you're able to earn luck. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Unknown
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Edit: sorry, post repeated by accident
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Guys.. Its a just game.. We just had an argument about sth that 99,999% of the population couldnt care less.. If u have fun playing the game, its cool if not, time to find another thing to do.. Sometimes its good to think outside the box..just relax..
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lycra, you may just win the thread.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I've decided that wathombe has an excessive amount of energy to rally for unfairness, so I'll take it upon myself to direct you to an issue that really matters. The fact that steam players can probably finish a match in 1/2 the time as mobile players. Lol. That's what needs fixed ASAP. Let us turn off these slow **** animations!!!
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I've decided that wathombe has an excessive amount of energy to rally for unfairness, so I'll take it upon myself to direct you to an issue that really matters. The fact that steam players can probably finish a match in 1/2 the time as mobile players. Lol. That's what needs fixed ASAP. Let us turn off these slow **** animations!!!
    but animations on steam aren't any faster D: and you could use a stylus or something... My phone has one for winter.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I don’t really want to resume any arguments here, but instead want to post some thoughts and information in light of recent rewards, and also to start a timer.

Over the past ~12 hours, two full sets of Falcon rewards have come down, from The Simulator event and the most recent Doctor’s Orders tournament. Those who received the bugged Falcon cover rewards, assuming they have won every Falcon cover reward offered since and not pulled any Falcon covers from tokens or bought any with HP, sit at 5/4/3, or 12/13. Those who did not sit at 4/3/3, or 10/13.

From the standpoint of one who likes to collect covers on all of one’s characters up to 13/13, the time between now and the next full set of Falcon covers is the meaningful length of time in determining whether or not the bugged Falcon rewards mattered. If the next set is offered in the next week or two, it’s really had no effect at all. If there is not a set offered for another 6-8 weeks or more, then it’s really, really tinykittying annoying.

So I’m starting the timer now: from 9am PDT on May 7, 2014, how long will it take for D3 to offer another full set of Falcon covers and finally correct the imbalance created by the bugged cover reward (however minor one may believe that imbalance to be)?

Side note: I was fairly annoyed this morning to see that the new Top Gun tourney offers Rags at 1100 progression instead of Falcon, but in all honesty, since the next full set of Falcon covers will complete the character whether you got the bugged rewards or not, the lack of a single cover does not make a meaningful difference.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    # of Falcon covers that would have been won by 1100 progress > # of Falcon covers accidentally given to 1st place.
  • Unknown
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    If the next set is offered in the next week or two, it’s really had no effect at all. If there is not a set offered for another 6-8 weeks or more, then it’s really, really tinykittying annoying.

Which is why you need to hoard your HP winnings and use them to buy covers. It's what I did for Lazy Thor.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If a bug results in being just a little too generous to a few players, we'll typically let those folks keep the extra loot. The alternative would be removing those extra rewards, and that introduces some really hairy problems (players will have received some of the rewards and made decisions based on that, some rewards will have been sold, maybe the proceeds have been used...).

It doesn't seem to me like there's a particularly sensible way to compensate other folks for what they might have missed by not being affected by a bug. Even if there were, that wouldn't make the game better; that just amplifies whatever distortion the bug caused.

This bug was unrelated to any other rewards bugs we've encountered. We've fixed it for any future runs of the event and put in some checks to catch similar problems. (This is software, though, and there are infinite ways things can go wrong; I can guarantee that given enough time, we'll find another rewards issue - maybe the next one will be in your favor, wathombe.)