Postscript: Bugged Falcon rewards timer

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Read the thread.

You know there's actually no character that powerful that is worth worrying about. Oh noes, someone got 2 extra covers of Z - nah... Somehow not bothering me in the slightest. Not even LT, hah!
    Of course, having bugs and glitches is worrisome, but I, like most players (I believe), would rather have the devs work on other aspects of the game.
    Not to say that glitches shouldn't be worked on, just... there are worse issues right now.

I swear it ain't personal *looks at her lvl 330 Deadly node in the Sim somberly*
    i have this gut feeling....that ur a big fan of LT...might just be me though
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    @scottee - You're a very reasonable voice, and it's hard to argue with most of what you have had to say throughout the thread, so thank you for that. I will quibble with one point, though--I would argue that collecting covers IS one of the points of the game. Yes, it's a match-three game, but it's also a collectible game not unlike a TCG, in which the more characters you collect, the better you are able to pursue the other aspect of the game.

I'm just saying the cover collecting is not mutually exclusive. They didn't take covers that you cannot now get. You can still complete your collection. Does that allow them to have a slightly more powerful character to use in battles? Yes. They got 2 extra covers out of what, 260 3* covers needed to complete a 3* collection? Is it 273 now? I don't remember how many 3 star characters there are. So it gave them a less than 1% advantage.

It's because the effect is so negligible that others are saying the argument ends up coming down to, the ice cream shop gave out free ice cream for 30 min unannounced, and I didn't get any, so I should get free ice cream.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Read the thread.

You know there's actually no character that powerful that is worth worrying about. Oh noes, someone got 2 extra covers of Z - nah... Somehow not bothering me in the slightest. Not even LT, hah!

nick fury would like words with you
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Too Easy wrote:
    i have this gut feeling....that ur a big fan of LT...might just be me though
    Quite the contrary, just look at my roster
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Puritas wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Read the thread.

nick fury would like words with you
    I thought of him, but again, 2 extra covers for the character that requires bazillions of ISO? Let's cross that bridge and see if Fury is indeed that good when he's released and not nerfed immediately like many recent releases.
  • Puritas
    Options
    haha wouldn't matter if he was playable or not, the outcry would be enormous
    also, who isn't sitting on 430k iso waiting for his release :X

Thought about the immediate nerf bit, but they seem to do that mostly with unpopular characters
    Look at LThor, particularly his yellow is way out of line and there's been 0 change.

Given fury's popularity in the movies I doubt there'll be any movement towards balance icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    Did I get the extra covers? No
    Would I want them? Hell yes. I placed top 5 and would have pushed for first if I knew this was going to happen.

1 in 500 players got extra covers. That is less than 0.2% of the player base that received an extra benefit.

Expanding that to almost 2% of the player base helps how?

Or to 10% of the base if those that placed in the top 50 expect an extra cover as well.

The best possible resolution is let those that benefited be happy with their good fortune and keep the damage well below the 1% threshold. Spreading it further only makes it worse.
  • Unknown
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    It's because the effect is so negligible that others are saying the argument ends up coming down to, the ice cream shop gave out free ice cream for 30 min unannounced, and I didn't get any, so I should get free ice cream.

Ok, but if I grant that, grant me this: That shop has a habit of giving out free things unannounced. Sometimes it's pennies, sometimes it's ice cream. The shop doesn't really care that only some people get to take advantage of its giveaways (which are accidental anyway, through a careless employee who occasionally leaves the back door unlocked). But the shop has other things. Other more valuable things--there are 200 Maseratis in there. Wouldn't a reasonable person say, "Hey, PLEASE stop leaving your back door unlocked before someone else gets those Maseratis while I'm stuck at work, OR, let us all know when the back door is going to be unlocked so that we all have a fair shot at them"?
  • Unknown
    Options
    You did have a fair shot at them. You could have come first. If you're not willing to fight for first in every tournament, you can't complain that those that do get benefits for it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    You did have a fair shot at them. You could have come first. If you're not willing to fight for first in every tournament, you can't complain that those that do get benefits for it.

Incorrect. I had a fair shot at IW plus all rewards from next rank. Having a fair shot at two off-the-book covers would have required knowing that those covers were available to win.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jozier wrote:

And what if the extra cover glitch were instead applied to 2-5? You fought for first and won that IW you really wanted. Then find out everyone who was 2-5 got 2 extra falcon covers, but you didn't. Sure you wouldn't be too upset cause your roster is stacked enough to place 1st almost any time you want, but you might not be so happy others are getting more than they deserved (and more than you). Just saying.

Personally, I couldn't care less about this particular instance, so long as it's a one time thing. The issue is that it's most likely not a one time thing and perhaps sets precedent for other more problematic glitches down the line.

edit: I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again: My biggest issue with this whole thing is that there has been a total lack of communication on the part of D3. Sure they apologized to the winners and gave them the Mags covers they deserved, but there should be an announcement/statement somewhere on these forums addressing the issue. Even something as short as "there was a bug that issued the previous PvP rewards to the #1 spot in the most recent PvP tournament. We are looking into the issue so that it doesn't happen again. We have awarded the correct rewards to these players in this instance and reserve the right to handle it differently in the future."
  • Unknown
    Options
    falcon isn't a good character. being 221 vs 111 isn't that big a deal and i would have gladly turned in my falcons for mag covers, cause he's a great character. the kyip issue was a bigger deal, and you don't see them retconning the scores and playerbase over that, cause that would being like doubling up your mistake and making it worse.

as far as i can tell they don't have a mechanism to pull covers automatically or give players a choice of what they really wanted, and trying to get e-mail exchanges with every winner to figure it out or inform them (including non-english winners). you're talking about some silly lengths to fix a mistake that didn't do that much overall harm (let's be honest, falcon is NOT spiderman). would you be happy, if when they tried to pull those covers (and reward spent iso/deal with compliants from crazies that dumped hp into him), they accidently nuked everyone's falcons instead?

it's over, i'm sorry you didn't get extra covers, but maybe you exploited kyip or got the trickle down benefit of him in the falcon pvp, which would make this thread seem kind of hypocritical. I hit him twice when i shielded with 1300+ points (kyip was still below 1250ish), so should i get the xforce cover, 500 extra season 1 points and my shield HP back?

slippery slope.
  • Unknown
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    edit: I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again: My biggest issue with this whole thing is that there has been a total lack of communication on the part of D3. Sure they apologized to the winners and gave them the Mags covers they deserved, but there should be an announcement/statement somewhere on these forums addressing the issue. Even something as short as "there was a bug that issued the previous PvP rewards to the #1 spot in the most recent PvP tournament. We are looking into the issue so that it doesn't happen again. We have awarded the correct rewards to these players in this instance and reserve the right to handle it differently in the future."

This part i agree with completely. more communication would definitely be a good thing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    jozier wrote:

And what if the extra cover glitch were instead applied to 2-5? You fought for first and won that IW you really wanted. Then find out everyone who was 2-5 got 2 extra falcon covers, but you didn't. Sure you wouldn't be too upset cause your roster is stacked enough to place 1st almost any time you want, but you might not be so happy others are getting more than they deserved (and more than you). Just saying.

This isn't analogous though. That's a situation where someone who didn't win is getting a benefit over someone who did.

And that used to be the case and D3 fixed that problem awhile back, because at one point finishing 1st was worse than finishing 2-5. And you nobody got reimbursed with 3* covers for missing out at that point in time.

Thanks for reminding me of that, I'm even less sympathetic to the complaints here now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jozier, you keep posting as if those who finished first deserved the extra covers by the very nature of finishing first, but that's erroneous. Those who finished first deserved the prize as stated for finishing first. Extra covers were something more than you deserved. Mohio's example is completely analogous, as in that example, 2-5 get something they don't deserve. And just as he predicted, you immediately stated how much you would dislike it ("someone who didn't win is getting a benefit over someone who did").

Further, the old first place rewards weren't a bug, they were just poorly designed rewards. There's no reason on earth you'd get reimbursed with 3* covers for "missing out" then, because, in fact, you got exactly the rewards you deserved, they just sucked.
  • Unknown
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    jozier wrote:

Incorrect. I had a fair shot at IW plus all rewards from next rank. Having a fair shot at two off-the-book covers would have required knowing that those covers were available to win.

Whether you COULD have won or not doesn't matter. The fact is us 1st place finishers had no idea this was going to happen either. We pushed for the win just because that's what we try and do, everytime. You're saying if they would have announced that first place was getting two extra falcon covers you would have tried to push for first? Not to sound mean to you but if it WAS announced EVERYONE would have pushed harder and I am willing to bet the all the same people who won would have still won. They would have just had more stiff competition for it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    sms4002 wrote:
    Whether you COULD have won or not doesn't matter. The fact is us 1st place finishers had no idea this was going to happen either. We pushed for the win just because that's what we try and do, everytime. You're saying if they would have announced that first place was getting two extra falcon covers you would have tried to push for first? Not to sound mean to you but if it WAS announced EVERYONE would have pushed harder and I am willing to bet the all the same people who won would have still won. They would have just had more stiff competition for it.

Yes, if they would have announced the Falcon covers I would have pushed for and probably won first. I had no one challenging in my bracket. I consciously stopped at 900 because it got me HP, it was good enough for top 5, I didn't need the Doom cover at 1100, and I didn't really care one way or another about the IW cover. There was also an incredibly grindy PvE event going on, it was a Sunday night, and I have a family, so I made that choice. I made that choice based on the stated rewards, about which I didn't care.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    1st place would have a legitimate beef because the rewards state they get everything the lower bracket gets.

Everything else states exactly what the prize is.

Personally, I felt less sympathetic when I heard the OP knows this has happened before and still didn't go for first
  • Unknown
    Options
    Moral wrote:
    Personally, I felt less sympathetic when I heard the OP knows this has happened before and still didn't go for first

I don't think that's justifiable. You can't be required to anticipate that the system is going to mess up.
  • Puritas
    Options
    Especially when there's never been a mess up in first that was in favor of the players