A Truly Generous Gift... Oh Wait... Nevermind

Options

Comments

• Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev said:

The pack goes in your inventory. You don't have to claim it this week.

I recall others mentioning that elite packs awarded were tied to the actual originating set.  So if they awarded the pack for this set, it will remain tied to this set after it rotates out from the store.  If that's not the case then I have no idea why players are opening them up right now!

I woudln't have even noticed, that there was an elite pack I missed until now. Thanks forums, I'm sad now. :|

I blame the facebook page.  Bloody facebook notifications of "hey look what I got from my free pack!"

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steeme said:
    shteev said:

The pack goes in your inventory. You don't have to claim it this week.

I recall others mentioning that elite packs awarded were tied to the actual originating set.  So if they awarded the pack for this set, it will remain tied to this set after it rotates out from the store.  If that's not the case then I have no idea why players are opening them up right now!

I believe you're correct, in that it's tied to that specific elite pack.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    babar3355 said:

Well about half of the people complaining on these boards are people that did actually get the elite pack and still think it was an epic blunder by D3.

But then again, you never care about truth or justice but just like to paint everyone else's intentions in the worst possible light, eh @ohboy?

Whether the people got the elite pack or not is irrelevant. 

When people start complaining about not getting free stuff they aren't even entitled to, it's just ugly. 

Epic PR blunder? Absolutely. But to quote Dave Foley in Newsradio:

Joe: Dave, why don't you just ask Mr. James to buy him a car, too?

Dave: No. No, I can't.

Lisa: Why not?

Dave: Look, I'm no etiquette expert, but I think when someone is generous enough to give you six sports cars, it's in bad form to ask for a seventh.

They were generous enough to let us keep the results of the blunder. Stop asking for more cars. 
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Technically they didn't let "us" keep the results of the blunder. The blunder was that they gave every. single. account. in. the. game. a free Elite pack. Only those few who snapped it up quickly enough got to keep those. They took it away from the majority of us, myself included. I don't care that I missed out on the free elite pack cause the contents aren't good. Hypothetical, if you entered a drawing for a free *something you want* and then later they called to tell you that you won, would you be excited? If they then called you back and said wait we were mistaken, you didn't win, you don't get *something you want*, would you be annoyed? Now obviously I didn't enter a contest to win a free elite pack but I essentially got both of those phone calls. Argue it however you like, it's still **** of them to not just roll with it and let everyone have the free elite pack.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    Technically you were never in the draw. They sent out letters telling everyone in the universe, including you, that you were a winner. They managed to retrieve most letters before they reached their recipents(you) when they realized their error. But they honored they're winning letter for those who managed to cash it before the error was found. 

You didn't get a phone call that informed you of a win. You got a phone call from a friend that told you he and everyone else won, and to check your mail box. But of course, it was already intercepted. 

Pepsi actually made a very similar blunder before, except it never honored any of those "letters" , and managed to retrieve none of them before people got them. 

Regardless of your argument, it's an interesting read. Go look it up. I think it was a lottery in Philippines. 

http://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/344000/sc-decides-finality-pepsi-349-case?nomobile=1

• James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    Technically they didn't let "us" keep the results of the blunder. The blunder was that they gave every. single. account. in. the. game. a free Elite pack. Only those few who snapped it up quickly enough got to keep those. They took it away from the majority of us, myself included. I don't care that I missed out on the free elite pack cause the contents aren't good. Hypothetical, if you entered a drawing for a free *something you want* and then later they called to tell you that you won, would you be excited? If they then called you back and said wait we were mistaken, you didn't win, you don't get *something you want*, would you be annoyed? Now obviously I didn't enter a contest to win a free elite pack but I essentially got both of those phone calls. Argue it however you like, it's still tinykitty of them to not just roll with it and let everyone have the free elite pack.
    That's what makes the complaints unseemly.  There was no "contest" by any stretch of the imagination in fact.  It was a basic mistake.

The hypothetical conversation is more like you have a message on your old-timey answering machine: "Hey, you won contest X".
    You: "Oh, I didn't enter, but cool..."
    Next message: "Oh, our bad.  That win message was a mistake.  It turns out there wasn't even a contest.  Oops.  You don't get anything, sorry.  We still awarded anyone who claimed it before the mistake was caught."

It's a big goof, but it doesn't entitle everyone.  Nobody actually deserved it in the first place.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sad thing is that even if D3 decides to give everyone the elite pack -now- that people 'd'still be angry because some would get double.

Other than that I think that they shouldn't have retracted the gift, and let everyone have a little joy.
  • Pcell777
    Pcell777 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    There is not a single card anyone would use from this masterpiece collection set anyway.  Just get over this.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion

Losses are twice as powerful as gains. 
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pcell777 said:
    There is not a single card anyone would use from this masterpiece collection set anyway.  Just get over this.
    I think it is more the total greedy ineptitude of D3 that is fueling the anger and resentment.  No one that is in platinum would even consider using most of those cards.  But still the mishap just reminds us of how inept and greedy D3 are as a firm. 
  • Ohboy
    Options
    D3 is greedy for handing out free cards to some people? 

Do you listen to yourself? It's really not hard to see the people in the worst possible light when they just voluntarily publish bad ideas. 

There are greedy people in this story, and it's not D3. 
  • babar3355
    edited August 2017
    Options

Refusal to do micro transactions implies they don't care about the average customer but are only concerned with harpooning whales.  A willingness to build a game in this manner shows no concern for the quality of the experience but purely on the maximization of profits (although I contend that they aren't following the optimal recipe for maximum profits). i.e. greedy.

If you were purely talking about the topic du jour, I think greedy and inept are good adjectives to describe them.  They blunder into giving everyone an elite pack... inept.  Then they foolishly fear that giving every player a Ramunap Hydra or Apocalyspe Demon would somehow ruin the economy and/or cost them money, they rescind the mistake and pretend it never happened. - Greedy and foolish.   I presume they think giving all of these cards out would have cost them sales.  I think they are foolish for not realizing that creating goodwill is an asset in and of itself.

What rationale would they have to pull back the offer, other than fearing that it will cost them revenue?  The only other option is they are so stupid that they think this awful pack of cards is so strong it will warp the meta.

Also, out of curiosity were you one of us who looted the elite pack or one of those who didn't?

//Removed Insult - Brigby

• Ohboy
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Let's get this out of the way since you seem to think it matters. 

I looted the elite pack. 

I find it distasteful to even have to try to convince you that greed is not giving free cards to people. 

If they want to give out free cards, they will. Not from a mistake. This was a mistake. They corrected it. 

The rationale for not giving out free stuff is irrelevant. Calling them greedy for not giving out more free stuff then they are unwilling to is... Wow I can find no words on hand to describe you without triggering the language filter. 

Free. Gift. They don't owe it to you. You do not call someone who doesn't donate something to you greedy. 

Trying to maximize revenue or reduce cost is not greedy. Insisting that they give us more free stuff is. 

//Removed Insults -Brigby

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments civil, and do not attack other players. Thank you!*
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So you're saying that even though I soft-quit, and the first time I've logged-in in a week was the right time to get the pack, I was that coincidentally lucky?  Huh.  Still haven't played since.  feelsgoodman.jpeg
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gormhaus said:
    I have 4 children. I gave them each a brand new bike! 40 minutes later i said "My bad!" and took away and returned 3 of the bikes. 3 of my kids were mad at me for some reason.

Indeed. At that point, the best choice is to simply let all four of them keep it, and basking in the positive regard that results, without even acknowledging it was a mistake in the first place.

(for the record, I received one.)

• babar3355
    Options

Alright Ohboy you win. D3 is a shining beacon of generosity and competence.

I now remember why I don't bother reading 99% of what you post.  Trolls gonna troll.

• Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Okay I didn't get the pack. I wasn't lucky enough. I guess I should have prioritized this game over my job.

So they made a mistake and took the ep out of the inbox. I'm not really happy about it. 

In my inbox just now I got a "Thank you for playing" gift of 50 crystals. Is this supposed to make up for my missing out on the elite pack? Is this supposed to somehow equate in value?

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Of course they don't owe it to us, but the lack of good will shown by taking away a gift and calling it a mistake... You don't see how that can rub people the wrong way? Really?? Are you middle management in a corporation? 

That said, I'm perfectly happy with the 50 crystals they just gave us to apologize for the apology. However, if those 50 crystals were to suddenly disappear, I would feel perfectly justified in slinging mud at them. 
This discussion has been closed.