Difficulty Levels Based on S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels - Update (8/4/17) *Updated

Comments

• Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    @Brigby any work at all on CL sniping or does Demiurge just hate those  people trying to transition in to 4 star territory? With this change I will go from  top 5 to top 20 in my CL. In this thread alone how many people have talked about dropping down CL levels? And the forum is just one small part of the community. D3 giveth and taketh away.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    I am just clarifying that the 4* community and below are having a problem with this change. So all this time that same community has been able to benefit from top 10 placement and 1hour clear times, now that the 5* community gets to benefit from playing less, it's a problem? What do s the point of having a 5* character if I can't use it to crush opposing teams. I thought champing 5*s was suppose to be the goal. 
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    FokaiHI said:
    I am just clarifying that the 4* community and below are having a problem with this change. So all this time that same community has been able to benefit from top 10 placement and 1hour clear times, now that the 5* community gets to benefit from playing less, it's a problem? What do s the point of having a 5* character if I can't use it to crush opposing teams. I thought champing 5*s was suppose to be the goal. 
    And how will one reach that goal now with the drop in 4* champ levels and all that comes with it?

I have no problem with 5* scaling finally being addressed. But this particular way to "fix" the issue will slow down progress in 4* land. 
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 said:
    FokaiHI said:
    And how will one reach that goal now with the drop in 4* champ levels and all that comes with it?

I have no problem with 5* scaling finally being addressed. But this particular way to "fix" the issue will slow down progress in 4* land. 
    "drop in 4* champ levels"???

The "4* community" should be busy champing their 4*s, so they experience an increase in 4* champ levels.

4* covers from PVE placement is one of the most anemic sources of 4*s in the game. Even in the highest 2 SCLs, available to only 1% of all players in each bracket.

Don't pretend the accessibility of those very particular rewards affects the masses. It affects a miniscule minority.

The 4* progression is available to everyone playing in those SCLs, and represents far more covers rewarded overall.

Personally, as someone who finishes T5 in SCL8 this can be a huge drop in progression. 
  • AlluAllu
    AlluAllu Posts: 86 Match Maker
    I like this change, but I am personally in bit of an odd spot. SCL 8 would require a bit more effort from me, and I don't think I wanna do that. I just worry that I'll never have to think again in SCL 7. Oh well, at least it makes PVE faster. :) 
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    This seems good, bring on SCL9:)
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    DarthDeVo said:
    FokaiHI said:
    I don't begrudge a 5* player who wants to go that route, and no, they probably shouldn't be punished for doing that. So ultimately I think the grievance for 5* players to this point has been a poor game design that punishes rather than rewards developing those characters. This seems to fix that. 

Likewise, my main grievance is less with 5* players and more with the fact that the lack of opining SCL 9 and 10, coupled with rewards that aren't enough to entice people to play in SCL 8 means less rewards.

So now in PvE, 5* players will get the same (or even better) rewards for less (or maybe about equal) amounts of time. 4* players may also see a slight reduction in clear times, but will likely take a major hit in rewards. 

Gee, less rewards for the same amount of play... I feel like I heard a certain segment of the player community complaining about this issue recently in regards to the PvP test...

This is truth...

Please remember that to get to the 5* tier, the did go through the 4* tier. So it's not like we don't understand the gripe. It's not that we don't care. It's that we did tht part already. 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    DarthDeVo said:
    broll said:
    ADChaos said:
    I'm not quite sure why people think they're so screwed for 4* development now. T10 finishes aren't actually necessary for it, in my experience.
    Big second on this.  I've only been playing for about 1.5 years and I've champed almost 50% of the 4* and have 4 waiting on ISO.  I never hit T10 in PvE or PvP due to silly dev imposed play times that don't work for me.

Alsmir said:
    Without locking people to CLs and/or introducing CL9, 10 it's a bad change.
    If they locked CLs this would be a horrible change.  Thanks devs for not listening to silliness like this!
    I'm curious, and I hope you don't mind me asking. From what I can figure, you're about 90 days ahead of me, which isn't much of a head start in this game, yet you've got about half the 4*s champed with another 4 waiting, and apparently none of that progress has come from placement. 

Meanwhile, I've got about a quarter of the 4*s champed with two waiting, and I've been doing decent when it comes to placement for probably the past six months or so. 

If I'm not mistaken, I think I've seen you mention you hoard CP and LTs, but I could be confusing you with someone else. I guess I'm trying to figure out where the majority of your progress comes from if it's not placement and you're (maybe) not pulling LTs and CP. 

I hoard off and on myself, and am in the middle of that process right now, so the main source of 4* progress for me right now is placement, since I'm not pulling LTs and CP.

But I must be doing something wrong, because I doubt that I'll have twice as many champs as I do now in three months, even with placement. I had been averaging about two or three a month with placement, but that will likely be severely curtailed.

And please don't take this in an accusatory manner. I'm genuinely curious if there's something I could be doing differently. You seem to have a better roster than I do, all from little to no placement. I would like to know how I can manage that, because that will likely be reality for me for the foreseeable future, and I would like to maintain the sense of progress I've felt up to this point. 
    I suspect the answer you seek lies in the name you are looking at b(ank)roll  :D
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Update: Corrected table data for placement Rank 1 of SCL 8; it awards 3 4-Star covers, not 4. Apologies for the confusion.
  • AlexxKats
    AlexxKats Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Brigby said:
    Update: Corrected table data for placement Rank 1 of SCL 8; it awards 3 4-Star covers, not 4. Apologies for the confusion.

There goes the extra cover...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Great,  give even more reason to drop into CL7
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    AlexxKats said:
    Brigby said:

There goes the extra cover...
    For who?! That wouldn't have been a draw anyway. 0.1% getting an extra 4* cover is an insignifcant amount and so unlikely for anyone to reasonably expect to get, it would be almost an insult to leave it there.
  • bobby_2613
    bobby_2613 Posts: 83 Match Maker
    As some have already said, giving a 4* cover for SCL 8 T50, would be enough to make people play there IMO.

• jgomes32
    edited August 2017
    jgomes32 said:
    Personally, as someone who finishes T5 in SCL8 this can be a huge drop in progression.
    Ahh, now that's more honest. It affects you personally.

That can be tough. For you. Personally.

But the game is not personally designed for you. Personally.

Some of the game's changes have personally benefited me greatly. That's been great for me, personally. Some have up-ended personal goals and crimped my personal style of play. That has sucked (personally).

Never been a reason to project my personal situation onto the game as a whole.

If you find you can no longer place t10 in SCL8, then work toward being able to do so again. And stay tuned. Eventually SCL 9 and 10 will materialize. Eventually (I continue to hope without much basis....), the SCL entry requirements and rewards will be revised to properly segregate and incent players.

Some glorious day.

Eventually.

That was a bit funny, i'll give you that...

I already gave my initial impression on this, first page (and i could be 100% wrong, have to wait and play), was given further explanation as to why based on how it could slow things down for me (i don't see that as selfish, but whatever). And that's in theory onnly as i got #1 and #5 during the tests (S3, SCL8, prejoin). So, personally, maybe it won't change nothing for me. Just as a solid 5* can compete now for T1 i believe a solid 4* can still finish T10 with the new scaling.

Overall, regardless of how small the % is, 4* players, who need those covers to make progress will take a hit while 5* take covers they don't really need just to save a few minutes. We'll see how it goes once this goes live, hopefully i'm wrong and everybody wins.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo said:
    FokaiHI said:
    I don't begrudge a 5* player who wants to go that route, and no, they probably shouldn't be punished for doing that. So ultimately I think the grievance for 5* players to this point has been a poor game design that punishes rather than rewards developing those characters. This seems to fix that. 

Likewise, my main grievance is less with 5* players and more with the fact that the lack of opining SCL 9 and 10, coupled with rewards that aren't enough to entice people to play in SCL 8 means less rewards.

So now in PvE, 5* players will get the same (or even better) rewards for less (or maybe about equal) amounts of time. 4* players may also see a slight reduction in clear times, but will likely take a major hit in rewards. 

Gee, less rewards for the same amount of play... I feel like I heard a certain segment of the player community complaining about this issue recently in regards to the PvP test...

False equivalence, bub.

Again, those 4* placement rewards are only being given to 1% of players in PVE, in SCL 7 & 8, even fewer in SCL 6 (IIRC, not able to check ATM). Ascribing any impact to "4* players* as a whole is a huge stretch. The vast majority aren't in contention for them now, won't be in the future.

The complaint about the PVP test was the removal of a progression reward—available to all who are willing / able to go for it!—to the limited ranks of the placement rewards, which effectively limited its availability to 2% of pVP players in those SCLs, regardless of how many were willing / able to pursue it.

Compounding the grinch nature of that move was the boneheaded assurance from the devs that such a move would award that prize to more players....when most players play in lower SCLs where they are being offered rewards of lesser value! LOLz. 
    It's not as false as you make it sound.  In most brackets I've ever seen only the top 10-15 hit 1200.  900 is more like 30.  So it's the numbers aren't drastically different.  Also you say 'available to all who are willing', that's false equivalence because the forums are littered with complaints about how broken PvP is and it's not possible for people to brute force the scores above 800-1200 (varies by roster strength)
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    @broll last PvP finished exactly 50th with 1215. Slice 4, CL8
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    @broll

931 in Hooked on a Feeling- 9th place
    951 in First Avenger- 12th place
    1009 in Weapon Tex-mex- 13th place

all S1, CL8.  Definitely a YMMV kind of thing