Do you like the new PvP system (progression rewards based on wins instead of points gained)?

Comments

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    Rod5 said:
    You say gate-keeping like it's some horrible crime...I don't want someone to be able to pick up the game and be immediately competitive at high-end PvP. If I just picked up the game I wouldn't expect to be either.

Newbies have plenty of incentive to play PvE as it can scale down to their level, even when they do inevitably change it to align enemies to CL.

PvP success is about knowing where your roster sits in relation to the other players out there, and playing accordingly. Co-ordinating hops will help, but if you over-stretch yourself you can and will get hit.

The highest rewards are generally only available to top-level players...what exactly is so wrong with that? Players can build to get there, and it's considerably easier to do so now than it used to be so I'm baffled by all the whining.
    They can't.... They would be locked into SCL1, then 2, then 3....
    Like every game...you play it, you progress. 

You wouldn't expect to open a game out of the box and be able to play the big boss fights straight away would you? Let alone having their level scaled down to the fact that you've just started playing...
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    As someone with almost 3 years of MPQ, I really liked this teste because it truly represented the aspect of Progression: you shouldn't lose points from it, period. I never enjoyed PvP or even reached the 900s, and never cared about its placement, but this test was a very welcome surprise, it just needs some adjustments to please both new/casual and veteran/competitive players.
  • Rod5
    Felessa said:
    As someone with almost 3 years of MPQ, I really liked this teste because it truly represented the aspect of Progression: you shouldn't lose points from it, period. I never enjoyed PvP or even reached the 900s, and never cared about its placement, but this test was a very welcome surprise, it just needs some adjustments to please both new/casual and veteran/competitive players.
    That's PvE, not PvP.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Daiches said:
    sh81 said:
    Daiches said:

And imagine the ISO you would have saved in finding those 75 point grills you could beat if you joined the community. So there's an open invitation for you if you want to see the next step and how it would impact your play. Try it once. If you don't like it, walk away.

Also,
    I only added the last part because you posted you were going for 900 in the last thread, and we wanted to help you out a bit. But eventually we decided to let you play the game as normal, but watched and rooted for you. If you think that is scummy, then, I don't know what to say.

Its one thing commenting, its another interfering, its the latter I would really take issue with.

And I am very glad you didnt opt to help me at all, that is appreciated.

Observe and chat away, I dont particularly care* - its any manipulation I would be upset by.

*It doesnt sit entirely comfortably, but really its a no harm no foul situation.

How exactly does the community help me find 75 point matches?

A Battlechat. You will know of about 200 or more people exactly when they are able to be queued and when it would be best for you to do so, and when they are shielded so that you can hit them to increase the overall points in the shard. (Because that is the only way to increase the point treshold of a shard). It will also ensure those same 200 people, or rather the ones that can queue you, will check your status before hitting, so you will get less defensive losses.

Plus of course the aggregate knowledge about pvp from those same people.

As for people discussing someone that has posted 100s of messages on the forums in the last few weeks and you feeling uncomfortable about that. When you make yourself a known and loud name in an online forum about a game, people in the game will talk. Just be glad this isn't the cyber bully thread you are posting in, but a reply to people trying to help you out and get more rewards from your play time.

I picture those classic photos of the stock market with people all in room yelling buy and sell.  I'm not interested in becoming the Wolf of MPQ Street.  I play the game for fun / leisure not to feel obligated to play when others play.  There's already WAY TOO MUCH of that imposed by the developers already, the last thing I need is to go seeking more of it from the community.
    You are imagining it wrong. There's always players active. You are not tied to someone else's schedule. Most of the time it is chatting (in the chat room obv) about random things.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    broll said:
    Daiches said:
    sh81 said:
    Daiches said:

And imagine the ISO you would have saved in finding those 75 point grills you could beat if you joined the community. So there's an open invitation for you if you want to see the next step and how it would impact your play. Try it once. If you don't like it, walk away.

Also,
    I only added the last part because you posted you were going for 900 in the last thread, and we wanted to help you out a bit. But eventually we decided to let you play the game as normal, but watched and rooted for you. If you think that is scummy, then, I don't know what to say.

Its one thing commenting, its another interfering, its the latter I would really take issue with.

And I am very glad you didnt opt to help me at all, that is appreciated.

Observe and chat away, I dont particularly care* - its any manipulation I would be upset by.

*It doesnt sit entirely comfortably, but really its a no harm no foul situation.

How exactly does the community help me find 75 point matches?

A Battlechat. You will know of about 200 or more people exactly when they are able to be queued and when it would be best for you to do so, and when they are shielded so that you can hit them to increase the overall points in the shard. (Because that is the only way to increase the point treshold of a shard). It will also ensure those same 200 people, or rather the ones that can queue you, will check your status before hitting, so you will get less defensive losses.

Plus of course the aggregate knowledge about pvp from those same people.

As for people discussing someone that has posted 100s of messages on the forums in the last few weeks and you feeling uncomfortable about that. When you make yourself a known and loud name in an online forum about a game, people in the game will talk. Just be glad this isn't the cyber bully thread you are posting in, but a reply to people trying to help you out and get more rewards from your play time.

I picture those classic photos of the stock market with people all in room yelling buy and sell.  I'm not interested in becoming the Wolf of MPQ Street.  I play the game for fun / leisure not to feel obligated to play when others play.  There's already WAY TOO MUCH of that imposed by the developers already, the last thing I need is to go seeking more of it from the community.
    You are imagining it wrong. There's always players active. You are not tied to someone else's schedule. Most of the time it is chatting (in the chat room obv) about random things.
    Fair enough.  If someone wants to invite me to one of these battle chat things I'll give it a try.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Rod5 said:
    You say gate-keeping like it's some horrible crime...I don't want someone to be able to pick up the game and be immediately competitive at high-end PvP. If I just picked up the game I wouldn't expect to be either.

Newbies have plenty of incentive to play PvE as it can scale down to their level, even when they do inevitably change it to align enemies to CL.

PvP success is about knowing where your roster sits in relation to the other players out there, and playing accordingly. Co-ordinating hops will help, but if you over-stretch yourself you can and will get hit.

The highest rewards are generally only available to top-level players...what exactly is so wrong with that? Players can build to get there, and it's considerably easier to do so now than it used to be so I'm baffled by all the whining.
    The problem is that who gets to decide who is a "newbie" or not.  You, me?  Since i have been playing X number of days, the people with several hundred less days, but full 5* rosters, should have a harder time?  I'm just proposing a way that if someone wants to put in more effort at an early stage, they get more rewards.  

Rod5 said:
    Win count system is fine for rewards up to 3*, but CP rewards should be kept as score-driven imo. Definitely not as a placement reward.
    That is a great suggestion.  Best of both worlds, really.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    From the 5* player perspective, I didn't really enjoy this change. It forces employment of two different playstyles. Rather than progression coming on the road to good placement, the optimal condition is to start by beating up low level teams constantly to rack up the win total with no regard to the points or your standings. This is followed by a climb to placement where you now want to select your q's appropriately and shield hop. 

One of the best ways to do this, I found, is to find a friend and see how low you can go in terms of retaliation teams, until you have 2* teams fighting each other. This is about the only thing that I found to be fun, and it seems to go counter to any notion of what PvP is about. (Though I would point out how, shocking!, the easiest way to game the system is through outside communication)

• AlluAllu
    AlluAllu Posts: 86 Match Maker
    On the note that the test made the progression into PVE, I agree. It was also the best PVE in the game. 4-star cover after 40 wins against non- Dark Avengers? You don't get close to that in the normal PVE. There is a fear of always encountering Carol or Medusa, but in theory this kind of PVP would invite lots of people who didn't care about their teams. I was using my entire 3-star roster, making teams like Quicksilver, Mystique and Vision. I hope whoever attacked me enjoyed it, lol.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    LINE has a lot of random chat, but at the same time is a source of valuable info. Tbh some of it is just a little bit unfair, because I get plenty of data about brackets, which encourages sniping and makes it almost too easy. On top of that I already received info about a couple of upcomming new characters, together with power descriptions and graphics of their covers. That's just absurd that none of that info is available on forums.

Basically, if you want to be competetive you need LINE, eot.
  • nitefox1337
    nitefox1337 Posts: 80 Match Maker
    Wait what? Did they finally fix PvP?

Couldn't find any announcements about it on the Announcements Forum, can anyone clarify?

tnx
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait what? Did they finally fix PvP?

Couldn't find any announcements about it on the Announcements Forum, can anyone clarify?

tnx
     They ran one test of a new format in one off season event. No permanent fix.

Not sure if the following detail makes a difference or not, but they haven't asked for feedback, either through the forum or an in-game Typeform survey. It's purely speculation on my part, but it could be they have another test planned and are waiting to ask for feedback until that happens. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    missing out on covers from getting hit/losing impossible matches to go over 900 is soooo much fun. can we move ahead with the permanent switch please.
  • Rod5
    jredd said:
    missing out on covers from getting hit/losing impossible matches to go over 900 is soooo much fun. can we move ahead with the permanent switch please.
    Skip more. Shield then skip more.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rod5 said:
    jredd said:
    Skip more. Shield then skip more.
    Or get out of s5. That would help too.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    I personally did not like the new change in the aspect that I didn't get all of the rewards but finished in top 5, because it still made people get the end reward, but not shield. It just wasn't a fun system to play personally.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    AlluAllu said: I was using my entire 3-star roster, making teams like Quicksilver, Mystique and Vision. I hope whoever attacked me enjoyed it, lol.
    This was honestly my favorite part about the test.  I didn't go for the 40 wins and the 10CP took almost exactly the same amount of play time, but the first 24hrs when everyone seemed to collectively goof off with their team selection made this the most fun PVP in recent memory.  I don't care one way or another if they make this system permanent, but if there was some incentive to put out more variety of teams in PVP I'd be all in favor of it.  By the time the third PVP of the boosted week rolls around, the team selection seems really stale in the current format...
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    It isn't bad in theory, but the current targets are crazy high compared to point targets.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I found the win progression much less stressful than the current system, and in the end i still finished top 50 like always, but atleast i go the 4 star reward without pulling my hair out.

In the mockingbird event i had to calculate proper climb times, when to shield, when to break shield to climb some more, then shield again.
    I ended up getting the mockingbird cover but boy was it an annoying climb. I got lucky at the end as noone was hitting me, oddly enough i was only using 1 boosted 4 and a regular 4 ( Medusa/Bl4de combo).

I can see how the win progression doesn't suit a 5 star roster, as you can climb to higher points with less wins, then someone like myself who has a up and coming 4 star roster, so i get many low point wins to make a standard climb to top 50. 

I also think they should have put the 4 star at 30 wins and the CP at 40.

Might have caused less complaints...