Pvp cyber bullying

Comments

• BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    There should be no such thing as 'friendlies'. You hit everything put infront of you. 
    I think you should at the very least try not to friendly fire your own alliance.

(But like I said before, members of your alliance shouldn't even come up at all.  I really hate trying to remember all their names)
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Spudgutter said:
    How do we know it keeps the game alive? 

I guess I can only speak for myself, my alliance, my hundreds of friends on Line, and others that have posted similarly here--but if it weren't for Line and the friendships I've developed over the years, this game would be Marvel Candy Crush to me, which I played for about 3 months.
    And i played 800 days before installing line.  Whats the acronym? Yemv?  Your experience may vary?  I am not unique, and dont speak for everyone, nor do you.  I'm just asking for something better, that's all.
  • D26
    D26 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2017
    I feel like the easiest solution here is a simple programming one: once you hit someone, you cannot que that person again in the same event.

So I hit player A for 45 points. They retaliate. That's it. I can't que player A for that event again, they can't que me again. Once the event ends, it's open season again. For SHIELD SIM, maybe you can't que them for 3 days once you hit them. No more double or triple taps, no more hit lists or slamming down people for violating the "unwritten rules," (I swear MPQ PVP has more unwritten rules than baseball, and just as many zealots ready to enforce them), and pvp becomes more playable for everyone. Shoot, this would've even helped the cupcake issue in that someone couldn't hit the same cupcake team repeatedly.

As huge if a player base as this game has, I feel like this should work.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    There should be no such thing as 'friendlies'. You hit everything put infront of you. 
    You understand there is a social aspect to this game that actually keeps this game alive, right?
    Yes, so anyone who gets annoyed that they got hit on a game, where you are meant to hit people, shouldn't be playing it and should go play something else. Clearly they are ruining the social aspect of it. 
  • Nick441234
    No
    Its a pretty simple solution. Take out the players name when you are given each fight. You never know who you are fighting then.
    That defeats the entire purpose of player versus player. If I don't know who I'm hitting I might as well just play PVE or DPD.
    Why do you need to know though? Its the characters you are fighting, and how much they are worth for the win, that are important. 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Its a pretty simple solution. Take out the players name when you are given each fight. You never know who you are fighting then.
    That defeats the entire purpose of player versus player. If I don't know who I'm hitting I might as well just play PVE or DPD.
    Why do you need to know though? Its the characters you are fighting, and how much they are worth for the win, that are important. 

Wrong!

If I see #1 in my bracket un#, triple tap incoming! Because it's a "versus" event, and I want to win. Take points from them, give them to me, they go backward, I go forward, etc., etc...
  • Nick441234
    No
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Wrong!

If I see #1 in my bracket un#, triple tap incoming! Because it's a "versus" event, and I want to win. Take points from them, give them to me, they go backward, I go forward, etc., etc...
    But you'd still see the points they were worth, which would make you hit them regardless of who they are. The fact they were number 1 doesn't really matter, its the point value they were worth that matters. You wouldn't hit them if all you were going to get was 1 point. 
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    No
    Maybe if they took the names off of who hit you. If you can't see, then you can't actually know if you were targeted. 

The devs themselves used the word "Retalliation". If people have a problem, that word should clarify what's going on.

Rambling thoughts. Don't mind me. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Wrong!

In my experience, most of the people at the top are shielded pretty quickly, especially when it gets to nitty gritty time. I don't generally find myself with time to find the teams at the top that aren't currently shielded, skipping over teams and points that would be worth hitting, just to make sure I'm hitting someone ahead of me.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Wrong!

But you'd still see the points they were worth, which would make you hit them regardless of who they are. The fact they were number 1 doesn't really matter, its the point value they were worth that matters. You wouldn't hit them if all you were going to get was 1 point. 

There could be five or ten people out with the same high points though - how would I know to hit you, specifically you, to get your placement, if I can't see your username? That's completely pointless. And so is not being able to hit someone after you hit them once. So no, it's not just the points that matter. Removing usernames removes the competitive aspects of this particular event. 
  • D26
    D26 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2017
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Wrong!

There could be five or ten people out with the same high points though - how would I know to hit you, specifically you, to get your placement, if I can't see your username? That's completely pointless. And so is not being able to hit someone after you hit them once. So no, it's not just the points that matter. Removing usernames removes the competitive aspects of this particular event. 
    So, in other words, things are fine how they are. If you don't like it, get line or get out. Got it.

***Removed profanity - Ducky

• Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Daiches said:
    You guys do realize that there is no such thing as PVP and PVE in game, right? There are Story mode and Versus mode. Any definition you attach to it of Player versus Player is your own, and not the developers.
    Story mode has a little story everyone skips because of timers and Versus has you fighting versus other players' AI controlled teams. But that's as far as it goes. For me the social aspect of playing together with friends is what keeps me playing. So Versus for me is Friends Versus Environment.

That's just factually incorrect. Story mode is indeed PvE; the environment in this case being the nodes and AI teams. Even though you're fighting AI-controlled versions of other players teams, you're still interacting with those players. You're either taking away points from them when you win, or giving them points when you lose. You clearly understand that the "v" in PvP stands for versus, because you say "...versus has you fighting versus other players..."

I'm out semantics-ing your **** semantics.

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Stick said:
    Daiches said:
    You guys do realize that there is no such thing as PVP and PVE in game, right? There are Story mode and Versus mode. Any definition you attach to it of Player versus Player is your own, and not the developers.
    Story mode has a little story everyone skips because of timers and Versus has you fighting versus other players' AI controlled teams. But that's as far as it goes. For me the social aspect of playing together with friends is what keeps me playing. So Versus for me is Friends Versus Environment.

That's just factually incorrect. Story mode is indeed PvE; the environment in this case being the nodes and AI teams. Even though you're fighting AI-controlled versions of other players teams, you're still interacting with those players. You're either taking away points from them when you win, or giving them points when you lose. You clearly understand that the "v" in PvP stands for versus, because you say "...versus has you fighting versus other players..."

I'm out semantics-ing your tinykitty semantics.

That is probably more Pedantic than Semantic.  The second player does not exist, you carefully edited out the next two words, which are important: a.i. controlled.  Since the opponent is not controlled by a player, one could just as easily argue that it is NOT versus a "player."
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Yes ....I have been single out
    Bowgentle said:
    sh81 said:
    Someone posted me private message saying you got targeted and attacked because I attacked someone during their climb.

This is when I made a rare visit to slice 1.

Can you believe it, I got attacked by huge numbers  for daring to attack in a fighting game.
    THIS is cyber bullying.

Getting hit through the normal course of play is not.

There is a pretty obvious distinction.
    Unless he tripled a frontrunner while he was putting out a cake for others, I don't believe he would get targetted.

I know S1. Trust me.

Edit: And now I read in another thread that he finds it tough to make 575.
    QED.
    How dare you question my integrity bowgentle, the attack happened when I cared about pvp.
    I would regularly make 1200.
    Nowadays I just go for the 10 command points because I can't be bothered to go any higher.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    I'm going to go out on a limb here.  Some people take games in general (this one included) WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.  Have I seen players who I beat comeback for seconds and even thirds as retaliation for a Single win against them?  Yes.

Do I consider this bullying? No.  Even when a suspicious number of attacks come from that player's alliance?  Even when those attacks continue through multiple events?  Still no.

If I was bothered or concerned, the game does offer us those handy dandy shields.  Sure I'm too cheap to spend HP on them, but I could IF I gave a flying kitten.

Even taking these types of single player targeting out of the equation, PvP is just too random for me.  That and the Meta long moved to the point that without shielding (which remember I'm too cheap to engage in) has become a requirement for decent scores.

I've gotta wonder though, how many points do these guys actually get for hitting me down to zero?  And how much time & resources they've wasted trying to track me down at that point?

If I ever feel bothered by repeate attackers, I ask myself those two questions and laugh at them.  They are the real losers.
  • Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Stick said:
    Daiches said:

That is probably more Pedantic than Semantic.  The second player does not exist, you carefully edited out the next two words, which are important: a.i. controlled.  Since the opponent is not controlled by a player, one could just as easily argue that it is NOT versus a "player."
    I see that you see what I did there, although I wouldn't use the word "carefully". By that point, I had all the info I needed. In any case, player vs player proxy is still player vs player, especially if defeating your proxy has consequences.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    Stick said:
    Stick said:
    Daiches said:

I see that you see what I did there, although I wouldn't use the word "carefully". By that point, I had all the info I needed. In any case, player vs player proxy is still player vs player, especially if defeating your proxy has consequences.
    It's still player vs player.  It's just in a more obtuse format than most games.  Players compete for a score with a mild means of hampering other players.  There are more strategic elements to PvP in MPQ than it may appear on the surface.  Your choices of who to fight, with what team, how long you take to win, and if/when you choose to shield are the strategic elements of PvP.

The actual "battle" is a mere formality like rolling a dice or drawing a card.  You're defending Team in general will be defeated in nearly all battles.  A more difficult team or one the AI has a harder time losing with is a strategic choice you make, but it's not like there is any team that is unbeatable.  Opposing player's choosing to fight or skip you is their response to your move.  And so on.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    If you thought you were being bullied before just wait until the new PVP test hits.  

I used to skip low point seals unless I needed one for a reset off a grill.  I'll be hitting and dumping and hitting and dumping that entire event.  
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    revskip said:
    If you thought you were being bullied before just wait until the new PVP test hits.  

I used to skip low point seals unless I needed one for a reset off a grill.  I'll be hitting and dumping and hitting and dumping that entire event.  
    Yes but speaking as someone who will be being pummelled I dont mind it this time. See once I win I keep progressing. I will keep making pts so people like you can keep hitting me down. The placement guys can still shield hop and time it perfect but theyre'll be far more pts available as people keep playing rather than bursting in late or stopping at 575.