Soul Gem Season Changes *Updated (6/27/17)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited June 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hi Everyone,

Here is a list of changes that will be coming to the game this Thursday (6/29):

Sandman (Flint Marko) will be added to packs and Gwenpool (Gwen Poole) will be leaving packs. Two characters from the Spider-Man universe will be receiving a character update this season. A preview of the changes can be seen below:

Spider-Man (Classic)

When the Going's Tough - 12 Yellow

Power now deals damage. If both of Spider-Man's allies are downed, this will deal even more damage. At power levels 4 and 5, only one of Spider-Man's allies need to be downed.

All Tied Up - 5 Blue

No change

Spider-Sense - Purple Passive

There are no functional changes. Power now displays the strength of the Protect tiles that are created.

Venom (Eddie Brock)

Symbiotic Fury - 13 Green

Deals more damage.

Give and Take - Black Passive

Venom is now able to reduce the strength of Enemy Protect tiles to 1. Matches made by Venom deal up to 75% more damage but Enemy Red and Blue (and Purple at Power levels one through three) matches deal increased damage to Venom.

Lethal Protector - 9 Yellow

Deals damage plus additional damage for each Enemy Protect tile. The power now has a passive component that creates enemy Protect tiles when enough damage is dealt to an enemy.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Seems promising. I am (numbers pending) tentatively very interested.

... I think I -want- to use Spider-Man now... I've never had that feeling before.
  • Killians8
    Killians8 Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Seems promising. I am (numbers pending) tentatively very interested.

... I think I -want- to use Spider-Man now... I've never had that feeling before.
    Yeah, I always skip him because he just isn't useful enough to help end matches faster. His old tool kit gave new meaning to the term wall "crawler."
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've been waiting for his fix (4Venom) too. Although, his power set seems way too convoluted (another 5/5/5 preferred syndrome). Hope the number will make up this complicating mechanic.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Venom becomes the anit-C4ge. Symbiotic Fury will probably remain a 3 if you're dealing with protect tiles. Looking forward to numbers for both of these.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    aa25 said:
    I've been waiting for his fix (4Venom) too. Although, his power set seems way too convoluted (another 5/5/5 preferred syndrome). Hope the number will make up this complicating mechanic.
    The way I read it, Give and Take will reduce enemy Protect tiles, increase Venom's match damage (only, ala Thanos, only passive), and increase the damage that Venom (only) takes from Red and Blue matches. So if Venom isn't tanking everything and Protect tiles aren't a huge concern (hah), you could leave this at 3 and be pretty happy, I would think.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    Options
    unless the damage is massive the 3* spiderman still won't be very interesting, the changes sure don't make him work any better with miles/gwen as they need yellow to make web tiles.

will need to see the numbers on venom but doesn't sound great either, I don't have faith that the numbers will be high enough to make him above mid tier. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,628 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't see 3* Spidey as any more interesting if he doesn't create more web tiles. I reserve the right to change my opinion if the dmg numbers are huge. 

Venom basically just becomes the answer to C4ge and certain Wasp teams. 

At least they're buffs, though. 
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can't believe they left Venoms green at 13ap. Unless he creates an enemy protect tile for only match damage it's still going to be near useless unless you team him with Carnage. His black is only a very slight improvement and still forgettable.

3* Spidey is still meh :(

It took Demiurge three tries to get carnage right, here's hoping they can get these two right on their third attempt.
  • zodiac339
    Options
    zulux21 said:
    unless the damage is massive the 3* spiderman still won't be very interesting, the changes sure don't make him work any better with miles/gwen as they need yellow to make web tiles.

will need to see the numbers on venom but doesn't sound great either, I don't have faith that the numbers will be high enough to make him above mid tier. 
    Yellow powers that do damage have a decent history in 3* tier. Righteous Uppercut, Flames of Faltine, and... well, those 2 are good. Oh, Thunder Strike too. Still not sure Twin Pistols should end the turn. I'll stay hopeful on the Spidey change.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    Options
    zodiac339 said:
    zulux21 said:

Yellow powers that do damage have a decent history in 3* tier. Righteous Uppercut, Flames of Faltine, and... well, those 2 are good. Oh, Thunder Strike too. Still not sure Twin Pistols should end the turn. I'll stay hopeful on the Spidey change.
    well it could do a million damage and it still wouldn't help at all in finishing off a miles/gwen team.

that is the issue. they use yellow to make web tiles, thus to get that team going you need to use yellow to make web tiles so spider man's yellow remains useless in that regard. if it had some web tile based passive added it would be more interesting.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Have to see the numbers to know if venom is useful now.  Potentially the sort significant redesign he needed.

3* spidey will still be weak unless his yellow does TONS of damage, something on the order of 3* cage yellow with both allies still up.
  • zodiac339
    Options
    zulux21 said:
    zodiac339 said:
    zulux21 said:

well it could do a million damage and it still wouldn't help at all in finishing off a miles/gwen team.

that is the issue. they use yellow to make web tiles, thus to get that team going you need to use yellow to make web tiles so spider man's yellow remains useless in that regard. if it had some web tile based passive added it would be more interesting.
    It might be nice to add to purple "when a friendly protect tile is matched, make a random basic tile a web tile." Something to really differentiate it from Adamantium Bones, but only on your turn.
  • zodiac339
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Have to see the numbers to know if venom is useful now.  Potentially the sort significant redesign he needed.

3* spidey will still be weak unless his yellow does TONS of damage, something on the order of 3* cage yellow with both allies still up.
    So base damage is Luke's with no allies, while increased is Luke's with both allies?
  • fun_and_gun
    fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    Options
    farewell web bandages, we hardly knew ya
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Spidey buff is cool.

I have a champed Venom though. Eagerly waiting to see his numbers. The Black passive seems interesting. Time will tell how useful this will be though.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Spidey AND Venom buff? Awesome. I'll wait until the final numbers are up to make a final decision, but I'm thankful the devs finally got around to this after all mine and other's complaints. What's next? Dazzler?!?
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,628 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    zulux21 said:
    zodiac339 said:
    zulux21 said:

An all Spidey team probably shouldn't be the goal with that color redundancy. But I agree there needs to be some sort of web tiles component for it to be useful. 
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options

3* Spidey is better by virtue of not having a burst healing ability. I agree with the sentiment that this change doesn't necessarily improve his overall standing, however.

4* Venom changes look interesting on paper. It's a great subversion of protect tiles, and I'm interested to see the numbers.