Update to Heroes for Hire (6/23/17) *Updated (6/26/17)

Options

Comments

• Königsmacher
    Königsmacher Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    Brigby wrote in the anouncement that we'd at least get a preview of the next character in line for the Crash in the revisioned h4h store. The picture he attached shows IMHB with Medusa (both with their second colour) and this should be the correct order of the crashes to come. But it isn't clear if the ingame preview let's us buy that second cover in advance or if it is really just a 5 day long tease. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case, it would fall in line with the other poor choices they made in the past months.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So the part in the screenshot Brigby pasted, showing smaller icons of heroes available to buy (imhb and iw?), isn't even there anymore...   Either they actually managed to make it EVEN worse in the last two days, or they've reached a point where the bugs are actually deploying themselves...
    The preview is probably not working since today is the last day of the Burrito incarnation of HFH (so there's no tomorrow)

We'll see tomorrow if the preview for crash-HFH works as intended.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
     They're not doing themselves any favors by being silent every time someone asks about the impetus behind a major decision like this. 

On Discord, Demiurge Anthony did respond to questions about why they implemented this feature but I don't know if my quoting him verbatim is kosher. He didn't give a solid reason why they did it (he intimated it was done for financial reasons, but apparently is not sure he can discuss such details) but did say that it wasn't in preparation for a new feature nor was it done to limit the availability of vaulted 4*s. His first response was that there wasn't really any reason to talk about and that they were always trying new ideas for HfH.

• MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby wrote in the anouncement that we'd at least get a preview of the next character in line for the Crash in the revisioned h4h store. The picture he attached shows IMHB with Medusa (both with their second colour) and this should be the correct order of the crashes to come. But it isn't clear if the ingame preview let's us buy that second cover in advance or if it is really just a 5 day long tease. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case, it would fall in line with the other poor choices they made in the past months.

Brigby said a lot of things...

Its Monday and the store changed, removing our ability to buy ~7? covers we could have bought before it changed... 

The change didn't happen without warning, it happened on Monday after being notified that it wouldn't change till Tuesday...

The preview / possible purchase function that appears in the bottom of Brigby's screenshot is missing (its not just a window of a single character, Thing isn't even there.

If I'd read the announcement, believed it, and waited to get the extra HP I needed before making a final buy from the available characters instead of selling a few 2*s from my farm I'd be pissed.

• Königsmacher
    Königsmacher Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    Yeah, pulling the covers ahead of the anounced time frame is mind boggling. It's like they intentionally want to make their customers angry.

About the picture, we'll see tomorrow.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    astrp3 said:
     They're not doing themselves any favors by being silent every time someone asks about the impetus behind a major decision like this. 

On Discord, Demiurge Anthony did respond to questions about why they implemented this feature but I don't know if my quoting him verbatim is kosher. He didn't give a solid reason why they did it (he intimated it was done for financial reasons, but apparently is not sure he can discuss such details) but did say that it wasn't in preparation for a new feature nor was it done to limit the availability of vaulted 4*s. His first response was that there wasn't really anything to talk about and that they were always trying new ideas for HfH.

That would make sense then based on another poster's speculation.  Someone earlier (sbnj2000) had guessed that whales were able to use HP regularly to buy 4* champ covers and perhaps weren't participating as much in buying clubs any longer since CP was no longer as useful and those whale rosters could earn significantly more HP than CP without paying.  Not sure if that would actually happen but that is the only reason I could think of from a financial perspective, since whales are the major source of income for the game.  Everything else would point to a decrease in financial profits if it was offered only once every five days instead of once every day, so perhaps there is something to the shifting in whales spending impacting the games profits with HfH.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Updated with information on the functionality of today's Heroes for Hire store
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So glad I lucked out and pulled a 5th green for Iron 4ist instead of having to drop a scant 18,000HP to get him in the new improved HfH store.
  • MissChinch
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    astrp3 said:

On Discord, Demiurge Anthony did respond to questions about why they implemented this feature but I don't know if my quoting him verbatim is kosher. He didn't give a solid reason why they did it (he intimated it was done for financial reasons, but apparently is not sure he can discuss such details) but did say that it wasn't in preparation for a new feature nor was it done to limit the availability of vaulted 4*s. His first response was that there wasn't really anything to talk about and that they were always trying new ideas for HfH.

That would make sense then based on another poster's speculation.  Someone earlier (sorry can't remember who) had guessed that whales were able to use HP regularly to buy 4* champ covers and perhaps weren't participating as much in buying clubs any longer.  Not sure if that would actually happen but that is the only reason I could think of from a financial perspective, since whales are the major source of income for the game.  Everything else would point to a decrease in financial profits if it was offered only once every five days instead of once every day, so perhaps there is something to the shifting in whales spending impacting the games profits with HfH.

Not arguing, just wondering if we ever got that confirmed anywhere?  There are sites that claim to track users and installs and such, most speculate that there are between 7k and 10k average installs a day...  even a small percentage of them casually buying HP or CP would amount to a ton of money...

The Discord chat with Anthony was not promising at least in terms of this being changed, he couldn't talk about it because it dealt with financials, not an open discussion at all, no reason to think anything short of more financial concern would get it changed.  Underscoring the fact that feedback on these forums doesn't matter. 

At this point I actually wouldn't put it past em to have seen the amount of complaining on the forums and just decided to push the changes that remove our option to buy the heroes from the HfH store a day early...  (I mean part of me would definitely find it hilarious if I were in their shoes)  Intentional maliciousness or gross incompetence, take your pick...  I'd personally hope for the former, its less worrisome assuming they actually know what they're doing...

• MissChinch
    Options

Wow...  the first sentence on the announcement was:

"Starting next Tuesday (6/27), the contents of the Heroes for Hire bundles will be changing."

The contents changed Monday, and we get a notice Monday afternoon that they'll change a day early...   and the solution for their mistake isn't that they'll fix it and you'll have the opportunity to get those heroes...   Its that you now have the option to pay for all heroes prior to the one you want before they'll sell it to you!!

They need to just stop trying and end the store now, at this rate come tomorrow its gonna require a direct monetary purchase for a chance at a random color for a 4* made available once a month, rolling out tomorrow 20 minutes ago.

• Zappa
    Zappa Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Frankly, I hope this is a sign that D3 is struggling so badly that they have to make an obviously terrible change to a pathetic solution to vaulting, and 4* acquisition in general. I hope this pushes more people into realizing that D3 is so consumed with managing their bottom line that they can't even put up the facade of bettering the experience of the playerbase. As more and more people opt out of supporting D3 in their shenanigans, and less players compete and spend time in general on their game, maybe they'll finally understand that neglecting feedback and having awful communication will kill a great game just as readily as an awful one.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Zappa said:
    Frankly, I hope this is a sign that D3 is struggling so badly that they have to make an obviously terrible change to a pathetic solution to vaulting, and 4* acquisition in general. I hope this pushes more people into realizing that D3 is so consumed with managing their bottom line that they can't even put up the facade of bettering the experience of the playerbase. As more and more people opt out of supporting D3 in their shenanigans, and less players compete and spend time in general on their game, maybe they'll finally understand that neglecting feedback and having awful communication will kill a great game just as readily as an awful one.
    Yes, and with that realization comes no more MPQ for any of us. Maybe you'd prefer they learn their lesson before breaking the game, like the rest of us? 
  • Frustrated1
    Frustrated1 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    Zappa said: no
    Yes, and with that realization comes no more MPQ for any of us. Maybe you'd prefer they learn their lesson before breaking the game, like the rest of us? 
    Of course we'd prefer it, but past performance doesn't make it look likely. 
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:

If you purchase the Thing bundle, then the next bundle will become available. Here is a list of all the bundles available today, if players purchase them sequentially:

4-Star Bundles
    Thing - Yellow
    Invisible Woman - Blue
    Carnage - Black
    Quake - Yellow
    Iron Fist (Danny Rand) - Green
    Drax - Purple
    Nick Fury - Blue

3-Star Bundles
    Bullseye (Classic) - Purple
    Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) - Yellow
    Sentry - Red
    The Punisher (Dark Reign) - Black
    Blade (Daywalker) - Black
    Wolverine (Patch) - Green
    Human Torch (Classic) - Green
    @Brigby - Pardon me, but this is a major rollout fail. It needs a better fix than requiring players to purchase several HP worth of bundles that they may not want OR have the HP for to get to the character they actually wanted to pick up.
  • MissChinch
    Options
    Brigby said:

If you purchase the Thing bundle, then the next bundle will become available. Here is a list of all the bundles available today, if players purchase them sequentially:

4-Star Bundles
    Thing - Yellow
    Invisible Woman - Blue
    Carnage - Black
    Quake - Yellow
    Drax - Purple
    Nick Fury - Blue

3-Star Bundles
    Sentry - Red
    Pardon me, but this is a major rollout fail. It needs a better fix than requiring players to purchase several HP worth of bundles that they may not want OR have the HP for to get to the character they actually wanted to pick up.

Well, lets wait and see...  in their defense in the new model acquiring a Nick Fury blue cover for the low low price of  25,200HP might actually be a steal...  

Just file it away under the title "Never assume things cant get worse"

• BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    The update is even more of a slap in the face.  Do you mean to say if you wanted the third cover that is supposed to be available until the 29th, then suddenly had to be purchased in 19 hours, (then was suddenly gone) - that in order to get that cover, you would have to spend 7200 worth of HP (on two covers you don't need) in order to spend another 3600 HP to get the already over-priced cover?

There's already a system in place to have to get worthless covers before you get what you want, they're called Legendary Tokens.  Thanks-ever-so-much for the 8 hobo fist blues!!!!
  • MissChinch
    Options
    Brigby said:
    The update is even more of a slap in the face.  Do you mean to say if you wanted the third cover that is supposed to be available until the 29th, then suddenly had to be purchased in 19 hours, (then was suddenly gone) - that in order to get that cover, you would have to spend 7200 worth of HP (on two covers you don't need) in order to spend another 3600 HP to get the already over-priced cover?

There's already a system in place to have to get worthless covers before you get what you want, they're called Legendary Tokens.  Thanks-ever-so-much for the 8 hobo fist blues!!!!

well to continue their logic:  If they actually made the changes when they said they would they'd have lost out on a boatload of HP...  ;)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:

4-Star Bundles
    Thing - Yellow
    Invisible Woman - Blue
    Carnage - Black
    Quake - Yellow
    Drax - Purple
    Nick Fury - Blue

3-Star Bundles
    Sentry - Red
    Pardon me, but this is a major rollout fail. It needs a better fix than requiring players to purchase several HP worth of bundles that they may not want OR have the HP for to get to the character they actually wanted to pick up.

Well, lets wait and see...  in their defense in the new model acquiring a Nick Fury blue cover for the low low price of  25,200HP might actually be a steal...  

Just file it away under the title "Never assume things cant get worse"

Nah this is the today-only deal, reflecting the deal we all had before (but minus the option bar at the bottom or the ability to buy out of order). Tomorrow, it'll just be Hulkbuster, for 5 days.

I guess there's a chance that you could buy Hulkbuster more than once during the period? I won't be testing that, but it seems worth testing.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, Brigby. I know this isn't your fault, but that was a completely insufficient solution to the problem.