Update to Heroes for Hire (6/23/17) *Updated (6/26/17)

Options

Comments

• TheBaku
    TheBaku Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    MissChinch... I love it... Brigby  please? 
  • Jsh2014
    Jsh2014 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options

OK, I assume we're far beyond useful feedback or suggestions that would ever actually be considered, but I just wanted to toss this out there, assuming that frequency of purchasing was an issue (daily purchases is too much, one every 5 days seems like it wont be)

@Brigby is this an issue you can still provide feedback to the designers on?

Have a Heroes for Hire store sell 5 specific 4* covers for 5 days, one of which being a cover for the current crash hero.  Have the store gray out once someone purchases one of these covers, making them unable to purchase the other 4 options.  Have the store refresh at the same time it would for the next crash (plus 4 other covers)

You still throttle purchases to the amount that its currently at.  You still make the crash hero available.  Now you cycle through all possible 4* covers in the same amount of time the daily incarnation used to.  This would make purchasing targeted 4* covers possible with the added wrinkle of having to make a hard decision if your covers are in the same store...  not quite as good as the previous store, but VASTLY superior to the existing one.

I really think they might need to hire you :)
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options

OK, I assume we're far beyond useful feedback or suggestions that would ever actually be considered, but I just wanted to toss this out there, assuming that frequency of purchasing was an issue (daily purchases is too much, one every 5 days seems like it wont be)

@Brigby is this an issue you can still provide feedback to the designers on?

Have a Heroes for Hire store sell 5 specific 4* covers for 5 days, one of which being a cover for the current crash hero.  Have the store gray out once someone purchases one of these covers, making them unable to purchase the other 4 options.  Have the store refresh at the same time it would for the next crash (plus 4 other covers)

You still throttle purchases to the amount that its currently at.  You still make the crash hero available.  Now you cycle through all possible 4* covers in the same amount of time the daily incarnation used to.  This would make purchasing targeted 4* covers possible with the added wrinkle of having to make a hard decision if your covers are in the same store...  not quite as good as the previous store, but VASTLY superior to the existing one.

Granted I'm not honestly expecting them to make the change I'm still glad you came up with what would be a viable and reasonable middle ground change to the horrid state of affairs that in the newly neutered HfH.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @MissChinch

Good idea but what about the need to appease the RNG god?! They have to feed him! Can't give targeted covers without a sacrifice :wink:
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Brigby

Now with the store updated (more or less), I'd like to know how long the cycle with the third cover will last.

I can think of two way how this could be handled.
    1. Will the colour in the store rotate when the Crash rotation starts from the beginning again? (Example: "third cover cycle" ends with X-Force Wolverine, new Crash rotation with X23 starts a new "first cover cycle")

2. Will the third cover cycle last until we're back at Hulkbuster again? So next time IMHB shows up, the store offers the first cover now for every character coming after him?

Can you please find out which of the two it is?

@königsmacher
    Iron Man (Hulkbuster) was the first character that was with Heroes for Hire and we started with his first cover (Red). Covers sold through Heroes for Hire will be their third cover until we get back to Iron Man (Hulkbuster)

• TheBaku
    TheBaku Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    Darth Devo, 

Well stated and seconded. 

Day 1300+ player.... VIP since introduction. 

I will also not renew my VIP,  based on this decision and the manner it was introduced. 

Cheers. 
    Baku
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @DarthDeVo

Day 1330+ VIP off and on but I had consecutively renewed for the past 3~ months. 

18 days left on my VIP and assuming there are no positive changes made to HfH I will very likely not renew my sub. 
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The very least they can do is just let people who had saved to buy one of the covers they removed early, buy them.  

These covers are:
    Carnage - Black
    Quake - Yellow
    Iron Fist (Danny Rand) - Green
    Drax - Purple
    Nick Fury - Blue

If they want to makes changes, fine, whatever, but saying you are going to do something on a certain date and then changing that at the last minute without any advanced warning is just really bad form.

Do the right thing and make these covers available for 24 hours.
  • nitefox1337
    nitefox1337 Posts: 80 Match Maker
    Options
    Don't you find 3600 Hero Points for 1 Hero a bit "greedy". I was looking forward to reach level 30. When I did they change the prices of 4 stars heroes. Now, obviously, no way I am making such expensive purchases.

In fact it's the reason why I didn't renew my VIP subscription.

I don't know about you but when you see that a company is very greedy, and tries to leech you in every turn, you feel the need to punish them by playing their game for free.

Of course this works for players who can keep gaming casual. If you have addiction issues, ure scrwed... xD
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    At bare minimum they should change it so you have the option to buy three covers each cycle:  one for each of the three covers for the crash.  I would think that would drive more purchases.  Some might save up to buy 3600 x 3 to finish off a character.
  • Red_phoenixx
    Red_phoenixx Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Increased cost and only 1 hero for 5 days, not a good move. I bought several packs prior because that one hard to find specific color cover 13 was there. Now waiting 5 days with 1 choice is going to take a long time to get the specific color hero cover I need. Not cool with the change....
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't you find 3600 Hero Points for 1 Hero a bit "greedy". I was looking forward to reach level 30. When I did they change the prices of 4 stars heroes. Now, obviously, no way I am making such expensive purchases.

I don't know about you but when you see that a company is very greedy, and tries to leech you in every turn, you feel the need to punish them by playing their game for free.

Of course this works for players who can keep gaming casual. If you have addiction issues, ure scrwed... xD
    Yeah, 3600 is still maybe a little on the high side. As I mentioned, I had the 2500 HP price with fewer resources initially, and thought that was just about prefect. 

It sounds like you're still at a pretty early point in the game (somewhere around SHIELD Rank 30?). Please don't take the following in a jerkish or condescending way, but this store in its current iteration isn't meant for you. It's not designed to be beneficial to you at the point you are in the game. Most of your HP should be going to roster slots, not on a store like this. People in the 4* transition, such as myself, have much more (earned) disposable HP to spend on things like this. 

As a matter of fact, the store in its current iteration seems to be designed to be useful to as few people as possible. It can be useful for people with a X/X/0 (or 0/X/X and X/0/X) to get that initial cover, especially for vaulted characters. Likewise, it can be useful for characters with 12 covers, to get that final cover to champ (and respec if so desired). But with the rotation so significantly slowed down, it's certainly not something you count on anymore, at least not like we used to be able to. 

Now it seems purely meant for people to get an additional cover for the Crash. This is solely my opinion, but I would think it's not very common that one more cover will be the difference between winning and losing. Not that it will never make a difference, just on rare occasions, and not enough to necessitate such a drastic change.

Does it make it easier to line it up with the Crash for those rare instances where one more cover will help? Technically, yes. But it severely **** the Behemoth Burrito, which the rotation had previously been tied to. And as others have pointed out, a 4* character with one cover or who is undercovered can handle the BB, since you have the 3* and 2* as backup.

And really, you should know your roster well enough that if there is a character who could benefit from just one more cover for their Crash, you should have been able to plan ahead with the old daily rotation and buy them when they were available, even if the Crash was weeks or months away. 

I contend the only explanations that make sense for this change is a financial one or to artificially slow down the 4* transition, because I don't think it was a positive change for the majority of players. 

At bare minimum they should change it so you have the option to buy three covers each cycle:  one for each of the three covers for the crash.  I would think that would drive more purchases.  Some might save up to buy 3600 x 3 to finish off a character.
    Not a bad idea, but the devs seem to abhor making it easy to obtain covers that quickly.

I could maybe see them changing it to offering one cover of each color for a character during their Crash, but you only get to pick ONE cover of the three each rotation. With the artificial scarcity they seem to favor, I doubt they would allow people to buy one of each color (three total) at a time.

That would be better than what we have now, since it takes ~250 days just to go through the rotation, ~500 days for one character to go from their first color cover to their third color cover being offered.

In this suggested set up, I would just have to wait until Spider-Gwen comes up in the rotation again (still about 250 days, since she's close to the end of the rotation) to get a red cover. The way it is now, her yellow will come up next, I'll have to wait ~250 days (actually more, since characters like Coulson, Clagger and more will be added next rotation) for her purple to be offered, then another 250+ days before her red finally comes up.

If nothing changes, it will be more than two years before her red comes up again. Ridiculous.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    Not a bad idea, but the devs seem to abhor making it easy to obtain covers that quickly.

FWIW. Demiurge Anthony said on Discord that this particular change was not made to limit the availability of vaulted 4* covers (this was in the same conversation where he implied it was done for financial reasons). I agree, however, that it certainly seems that the devs don't want us getting vaulted 4* covers for some reason. If this is the case (and it may well not be), I'm at a bit of a loss as to why.

I could understand if they were trying to limit the availability of 4* covers overall, since if players got 4*s too quickly, they might not have any reason to spend any more money on the game. But they have made it so much easier to get non-vaulted 4*s that players can build a competitive 4* roster much more quickly than before.

What do the devs think having more vaulted 4* covers is going to allow players to do that they couldn't do with just the non-vaulted ones? In terms of event-based accomplishments, I don't know if there are many for which the non-vaulted 4*s wouldn't suffice. I just entered 4* land a few weeks back and am up to ten 4* champs, with the highest level one at 278. I have made 900 in the last two PvPs (which I'd never done before).. I was already able to get top 10 in PvEs. I'd guess that just building up my non-vaulted 4*s champs and adding new ones would allow me to get to 1200 in PvP and top 5 in PvE, but maybe not. 

What else is left? Maybe top 5 in PvP requires having 4*s above ca level 300-320 (which I'm guessing is about the max to which you could easily level 4*s before they leave the stores)? Maybe reaching 1200 in PvP requires the same?

Of course, there are some players (including me) who want to champ all the four stars regardless of whether it helps them place better in PvP or PvE., but I don't know how many there are or if there are enough for the devs to target them. Or am I just totally underestimating the number of collectors out there?

Some have floated the theory that 4*s were starting to get to the point that they could compete with 5*s when boosted, which angered the whales, but I've seen no real evidence for this and I a bit reluctant to buy into Cetacean conspiracy theories.

• MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options

I think you have to compare the 3600HP for a specific 4*, some iso and some elite tokens to what else you can do with HP to see how it stacks up... 

Theres not a lot... 

The only other way to get guaranteed specific 4*s is to buy out a store vault..  each store vault has (I think) three 4* covers plus an LT, and costs over 18k to buy out (two 40-packs)  even then you'd be getting three specific 4*s and an LT (plus additional swag) Chances that you're looking for the specific 4* covers offered are less good than being able to buy em individually...

The most cost effective way for a chance at a 4* using HP is the 100HP daily deal, but that's just a chance and guaranteed not to be one of the retired covers...

So I can see where it sounds greedy, but I think its really one of the best uses of HP and by not offering it I think D3/Demi would be being more greedy, because the alternatives are of even less value to you.

Unsolicited advice: If you're near rank 30 I would imagine you're still in need of roster spots...  I didn't even consider using HP for buying tokens, and only shielded in rare cases till I was well over 100 roster spots.  I was able to use those roster spots to increase the rate of HP I got, well worth it...

• DarthDeVo
    Options
    FWIW. Demiurge Anthony said on Discord that this particular change was not made to limit the availability of vaulted 4* covers (this was in the same conversation where he implied it was done for financial reasons). I agree, however, that it certainly seems that the devs don't want us getting vaulted 4* covers for some reason. If this is the case (and it may well not be), I'm at a bit of a loss as to why.
    OK, I hadn't heard that part, just the financial angle. 

To which I would say, it may not have been your intention to make it harder to get vaulted 4*s, but that was certainly the effect. 

I could understand if they were trying to limit the availability of 4* covers overall, since if players got 4*s too quickly, they might not have any reason to spend any more money on the game.

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion I reached above.

As far as developing the roster further to get T5/T10 or 900 in PvP ... for me personally, I still feel like I haven a long way to go in PvP. I've hit 900 on a few occasions, but it's still few and far between. Hitting 1200 or placing T10 or higher still seems like a crazy pipe dream. 

However, I'll readily admit I don't fully understand the PvP metagame. I don't use Line or any outside coordination or anything like that. I think if I did, I might have some more luck. Although something that definitely would help would be expanding my 4* champs, to give me more options depending on the weekly boosted list. 
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    OK, I hadn't heard that part, just the financial angle. 

To which I would say, it may not have been your intention to make it harder to get vaulted 4*s, but that was certainly the effect. 

I could understand if they were trying to limit the availability of 4* covers overall, since if players got 4*s too quickly, they might not have any reason to spend any more money on the game.

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion I reached above.

As far as developing the roster further to get T5/T10 or 900 in PvP ... for me personally, I still feel like I haven a long way to go in PvP. I've hit 900 on a few occasions, but it's still few and far between. Hitting 1200 or placing T10 or higher still seems like a crazy pipe dream. 

However, I'll readily admit I don't fully understand the PvP metagame. I don't use Line or any outside coordination or anything like that. I think if I did, I might have some more luck. Although something that definitely would help would be expanding my 4* champs, to give me more options depending on the weekly boosted list. 

I think it was a very popular way to convert HP to ISO for people with large stashes and a propensity to spend money, to the point where it was being used over other options that had been purchased in the past. 

Anthony didn't say much, at least not the part of the chat I saw...  So I got the impression that, at a minimum, we were going to have to live with the throttling down of the opportunity to 1 per 5 days.  That is particularly frustrating because I don't make enough HP to take advantage of the store that frequently anyhow, now its just limiting my options...

It sounds like I'm right with you on the PvP and 4* development...  I'm looking for a way to cover retired heroes so I have more options in events.  With vaulting as it is none of my 4*s will be seeing many levels past 300 by the time they're vaulted, so just getting a retired hero to 270 makes them likely useful when boosted.  Buying out event store vaults to the tune of 18k HP to chase one specific 4* cover is very unappealing.

• astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:

One thing I realized after I posted is that the times I've gotten to 900 so far, I have had boosted 4* champs.

For Nefarious Foes, I had two - but that was an off-season PvP and probably shouldn't count since they are much easier. For Heavy Metal, I had one (Hobofist). Reaching 900 was surprisingly easy in both. I don't use LINE or play cooperatively and, given my introvert leanings, don't really want to.  I don't shield hop either. I just use one shield at the 8-hour mark (though for Heavy Metal, I reached 900 so quickly that I had to use a 24-hour shield).  I'm still in the middle of For Victory, but I had two at the start (Peggy and Hobofist) and just champed Agent Venom this morning. 

I don't know if I could get to 900 without at least one boosted 4* champ, but I doubt I could. Some might argue that, under the new system, you can't champion enough 4*s to always have one (or preferably two) boosted ones each week. That may be true right now (do they try to always include non-vaulted character on the boost list?), but I think it's temporary. As they keep rotating new characters in and out, you will be able to champion more than 12, though it could take a while. I also don't know if, as they add more 4*s, they are planning to start boosting more than 5 per week or if they're just going to lengthen the cycle (my guess is that they haven't even thought about it yet). Getting 4*s past ca level 300, of course, is an entirely different story and seems much harder under the new system.

• DarthDeVo
    edited July 2017
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    DarthDeVo said:

One thing I realized after I posted is that the times I've gotten to 900 so far, I have had boosted 4* champs.

For Nefarious Foes, I had two - but that was an off-season PvP and probably shouldn't count since they are much easier. For Heavy Metal, I had one (Hobofist). Reaching 900 was surprisingly easy in both. I don't use LINE or play cooperatively and, given my introvert leanings, don't really want to.  I don't shield hop either. I just use one shield at the 8-hour mark (though for Heavy Metal, I reached 900 so quickly that I had to use a 24-hour shield).  I'm still in the middle of For Victory, but I had two at the start (Peggy and Hobofist) and just champed Agent Venom this morning. 

I don't know if I could get to 900 without at least one boosted 4* champ, but I doubt I could. Some might argue that, under the new system, you can't champion enough 4*s to always have one (or preferably two) boosted ones each week. That may be true right now (do they try to always include non-vaulted character on the boost list?), but I think it's temporary. As they keep rotating new characters in and out, you will be able to champion more than 12, though it could take a while. I also don't know if, as they add more 4*s, they are planning to start boosting more than 5 per week or if they're just going to lengthen the cycle (my guess is that they haven't even thought about it yet). Getting 4*s past ca level 300, of course, is an entirely different story and seems much harder under the new system.

My experience is that 900 is much more obtainable with at least one 4* champ, but even then, it all depends on which one it is. More than one, easier still, but again, dependent on which ones they are. 

I got to 900 in Combined Arms using champed C4rol, 3* Daken and 2* Torch with some effort. 

Nefarious Foes (aka "Champed Rhulk and Two Others"), I had a much harder time and ended up calling it quits without getting to 900. Mordo was the only champed character on my roster boosted for that event. But, I was also attempting to climb in Slice 5 with less than three hours remaining In the event, which probably made it harder.

On a side note, that event perfectly illustrates why it's important to be able to have a way to build up and champ the older characters. My impression of that event is if you have a champed Rhulk, that's basically Easy Mode. Mine's 3/3/2 Level 168 (unboosted), so not really useful, at least not compared to Rhulk's with health pools of 40K+ like I was constantly skipping.

Heavy Metal, again got to 900 fairly easily, thanks to boosted Agent Venom and Hobo Fist. I was also playing in Slice 1 with about 18 hours remaining in the event when I started. Because it's details like that that can also make a big difference, and it's those kind of nuances I really haven't bothered to figure out yet.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    How long until they realize that seeing the same hero you don't want for 5 days is costing them business compared to a new hero each day?