Top Gun: Apr 28 - 30 Falcon PVP

Options

Comments

• Yay, 1797 was good enough for first. Now my second .xorce is 1/0/1. Moving.up in the world! Wish I hadn't thrown out any of the green xforce covers I did a whioe ago now. He could be 4/0/1 or something.

Used 375 on shields as.I had to shield from WAY earlier than I usually do. So my.xforce better be grateful of me.making him a playmate.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I got over 1200 for the first time this tournament. Should really have tried for IW at 1300, but was really nervous about getting smacked down since I don't yet have any characters at lvl 141. Luckily my bracket was super easy and I still placed first! icon_e_smile.gif

But something curious happened in my bracket after the event ended. The #3 ranker (who climbed to 1100+ and got hit back down to 1000+ in the final minutes) has now vanished from the post event rankings. His roster looked like he had spent a lot of cash to boost a new account. Plenty of covers, but only 3 high level characters: HT, Falcon, and a maxed LT. He was leading the bracket in the last 30 minutes, before I overtook him. I hope I didn't cause him to rage quit and get himself sandboxed.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Infrared wrote:
    I got over 1200 for the first time this tournament. Should really have tried for IW at 1300, but was really nervous about getting smacked down since I don't yet have any characters at lvl 141. Luckily my bracket was super easy and I still placed first! icon_e_smile.gif

But something curious happened in my bracket after the event ended. The #3 ranker (who climbed to 1100+ and got hit back down to 1000+ in the final minutes) has now vanished from the post event rankings. His roster looked like he had spent a lot of cash to boost a new account. Plenty of covers, but only 3 high level characters: HT, Falcon, and a maxed LT. He was leading the bracket in the last 30 minutes, before I overtook him. I hope I didn't cause him to rage quit and get himself sandboxed.

Quite easy to tell these days.. if you look in the post events results - you should be able to see if anyone's been sandboxed, ie. 1 of 499, which usually means someone has been removed from your bracket.
  • Twysta wrote:
    I have to disagree with you Joz in that 100-200 points might not make that much of a difference!
    However........ because of the increase in points, there is no way that just the top is getting extra points, but the points are clearly filtering down and everyone is getting scores higher than they would normally get so it probably balances out all in all. There are more points in circulation so the whole community is benefitting. Everyone is now getting higher progressions than they normally would... but people will always complain. It's human nature.

People complain about everything.
    I've seen people complain about the fact that they could get a game for discount.
    People even complain when they get stuff for free... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Given that the last three people who hit me for 45+ points were 5DV and 5DP members who are now at 1600, I think the whining here is a bit OTT. People hit kyip, but they spent more on shields to keep their scores high and they created a lot of high-point targets for others. What is 5DV currently at? 6000 above its prior best alliance total? 15 of their members are over 1200, when they typically have 1 or 2 members that high. 12 members of FittedKitchens crossed 1200. The top 10 alliances are all over 20000, when only S.H.I.E.L.D and 5DV ever reached that point before. So the points trickled down and spread out across the player-base.

The issue isn't people taking advantage of a bug, it's a bug like this being there to begin with and running rampant for a few hours. It was pretty wacky to go to bed at X, then wake up 500 under and not know why. Then I saw theladder at 2k and I was like, ok, well that kinda takes the oomph out of my push to 1265..Nobody is blaming users or S.H.I.E.L.D. Just like I don't blame them for the bug that allowed them to get Cmag covers and Falcon covers for free in the demiurge 2x1 special! The fact that people in my alliance took advantage of it doesn't justify the bug either. This is competitive PVP, and if it happens again I don't think the rest of the player base is going to take it in stride.
  • Yoxgix
    Yoxgix Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I am a 2* user who is at the very beginning of the 2* to 3* transition and I used to finish in the top 10 quite often in pvp, but since the new changes to the pvp tournaments now I am only good for top25 usually. I can usually get to 800 points fairly often unless the buffed hero is an older one they dont have tourneys for very often ( cough *Spiderman*, who I have never seen as a prize). I climbed to 1018 from beating others around my hero levels and used an 8 hour shield and got in a little sleep. With 39 minutes remaining my shield would run out so I thought I would try for the 1100 progression reward andI got 3 juicy targets ready and let my shield run out. After my first fight I won I was attacked as well, no big deal. Did my highest value fight next and won that as well. Crossing my fingers as I went through the screens and hoping I would need 2 more wins to get to 1100, but not even close. I get to the main page and I had been attacked 9 times in less than 6 minutes and 10 times in less than 10. My dreams of 1100 were crushed and I reshielded and wished and hoped I could at least stay in the top10. With 30 minutes remaining I was attacked 14 more times and thanks to several shielded wins finished at 1050. I guess I should have just gotten my first win and just reshielded but hindsight is 20/20, maybe then the defensive wins would have carried me to 1100 seeing as after the disaster of the 9 attacks in 6 minutes nearly cost me top10. How can someone be attacked 24 times in 39 minutes, the majority while being shielded? I think others were seeing me even though I was shielded as I cannot see 24 different people all having picked me out in the small window I was unshielded. Sure some might have been retals but I would wager only a couple as I dont remember attacking them.
  • Not exactly the same thing. The covers Falcon/Cmag you had no control or knowledge over. The shield punching bag became apparent rather quickly and the choice into abusing that was not sportsmanlike. Morals in a video game on the internet? No Way? I get it people will do it, and will do it again if it happens and not care about the long term effects but its quite dishonest in my books. TerranDominion also had higher scores overall. Myself I got exactly to where I set my goal before the pvp even started which was the 1100 cover, something I am quite capable of without a glitch. If I had a choice to do it again, I would probably have went for the IW. But there is not much point in pushing the Dev's patience. I'm sure something changed when the punisher event was delayed by several hours, we shall see what that is.

Just don't play dumb or call this situation what it was not. There was a glitch, it was blatantly exploited by many people usually concentrated in specific alliances and these boards for spreading the info. This will have a lasting impact on season one, and depending on how long this game and members survives, season one may always be known for this.

----
    Not complaining just observing reality.
  • we have the D3 response so ill move on.

Wait, I didn't follow this thread throughout the day. There was an official D3 response to Kyipgate? I can't find it, if so.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    But there is not much point in pushing the Dev's patience. I'm sure something changed when the punisher event was delayed by several hours, we shall see what that is.
    We can push dev's patience cos they are testing ours all the time. Just saying.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wathombe wrote:
    we have the D3 response so ill move on.

Wait, I didn't follow this thread throughout the day. There was an official D3 response to Kyipgate? I can't find it, if so.
    Yeah, I don't see it either?
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Ladder wrote:
    Narkon wrote:
    I check the forums and I read about this glitch. Disappointing for several reasons. I thought my skill was responsible for my first 1300+ score and I was preparing for the success that would follow in the next pvp. icon_e_biggrin.gif I guess it's not happening. Then again, D3 promised Spider-man and C.Mags changes almost 4 months ago so who knows. They may end up fixing this glitch by the end of summer.

There's still skill in hitting such scores. I'm not denying that the inflated scores are hugely down to the kyip exploit, but there's still a lot of skill and immense heart needed to push when you are at scores in the 1000s.

I guess all hope is not lost then. icon_e_smile.gif

btw, will the glitch be known in the future as "The kyip effect"? It has a nice ring to it. For some reason it reminded me of "The Doppler effect".
  • Unknown
    Options
    wathombe wrote:

I think their standard response to every issue and error applies here automatically:
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm a bit late to this, but in case anyone still cares, Kyip is in my alliance. His final score for the event was 1,942 points and he was shielded non-stop for the last two days of the tourney. He has no idea why everyone could still see/attack him. He racked up more than 500 points in defensive wins. And as far as we know, he was not sandboxed for this.
  • Unknown
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    I'm a bit late to this, but in case anyone still cares, Kyip is in my alliance. His final score for the event was 1,942 points and he was shielded non-stop for the last two days of the tourney. He has no idea why everyone could still see/attack him. He racked up more than 500 points in defensive wins. And as far as we know, he was not sandboxed for this.

Unfortunately, Kyip is missing out on the Punisher tournament because it will be over by the time he finishes clicking through the "you were attacked!" poups icon_e_wink.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Thanks, good to know.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    Not exactly the same thing. The covers Falcon/Cmag you had no control or knowledge over. The shield punching bag became apparent rather quickly and the choice into abusing that was not sportsmanlike.

For the record, the whole thing would not have happened if the devs bothered to implement the attack cooldown asked for so may times. Then everyone would have only one shot at kyip every hour or whatever the time would be, not a significant disruption.

Being able to attack the same guy over and over is just bad -- regardless him being a shielded ghost of just a random climber.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    Chimaera wrote:
    Not exactly the same thing. The covers Falcon/Cmag you had no control or knowledge over. The shield punching bag became apparent rather quickly and the choice into abusing that was not sportsmanlike.

For the record, the whole thing would not have happened if the devs bothered to implement the attack cooldown asked for so may times. Then everyone would have only one shot at kyip every hour or whatever the time would be, not a significant disruption.

Being able to attack the same guy over and over is just bad -- regardless him being a shielded ghost of just a random climber.
    What happens when you go through all 5 of the people it's able to find though?
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For me I consider Kyip as a "welcomed" bug, after all the ISOs wasted in previous PVP events to skip the same players over and over again because I didn't like my odds against them.

The bugs and other "features" in this game also shows that the devs themselves are not daily or active players. IMO I like to think that a lot of these bugs or character nerfs won't happen if the devs spent more time beta testing their code and have proper QC methodology in place.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:

Well if you do see him, tell him thanks and I will give him a defensive win next time I see him.

And also, I can't believe we're still on this. Since this is top gun, lets settle this over body oil, cut-off denim shorts and some beach volleyball!

Goooooooooseeeee!
  • Unknown
    Options
    No lets keep the thread going, if its still active we can just update the title and use it next week when they run this tourney again. They like to double up on the new cover tournies.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Don't see a new Top Gun thread but did anyone else notice they removed the 1100 Falcon prize?