Top Gun: Apr 28 - 30 Falcon PVP

Options

Comments

• Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:
    This PvP event needs to be scrubbed from fhe Season 1 standings now.

Also any HP spent on shields should be refunded out of courtesy. I got to just under 1000 yesterday and due to sleep and work shielded for 24 hours, usually that would be goox enough for top 5 and certainly top 10. I work in a poor signal warehouse that prevents 3G so cant check my placement let alone play and I feel it is unfair that a select that have abused a glitch at a certain time should be able to bump me down the rankings and miss out on potential rewards.

I understand the anger, but they cannot really do that. The "not a glitch" was prevalent for at least 18 hrs. That's good enough for anyone to have a crack at it. They should do something...but removing the scoring is not the answer. Maybe put some high lvl bots in the next one? I don't know. It's not easy to think of what is even really possible. One option is to make, say 1300-1500 the max points you can earn from this event towards the season and refund shields to ppl would shielded beyond that point? That's about as fair as I can think of....other than just "tough cookies"

Removing the score from Season 1 totals is 100% the only answer. Dont forget there are massive rewards at stake for not only personal but also alliance standings at the end of the season and those who have used this to boost their scores to what could be half again the usual. Somebody who now has 1500 points in this PvP may usually only score 1000. That is half an event advantage that has been gained.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Those with high points do stay shielded... the vultures (players pushing for top spot) are out! XD
  • I understand the anger, but they cannot really do that. The "not a glitch" was prevalent for at least 18 hrs. That's good enough for anyone to have a crack at it.

"Anyone" with a good 3* roster. Usually when I get around 800-900 I hit a wall of unbeatable L 141 enemies. Usually that doesn't matter, since that's the sign that it's time for me to shield and do something else, while being quite sure of a top 10 placement. Imagine my surprise when after waking up this morning I've found the top half of the top 10 well beyond 1000 points, with #10 sitting almost at 900. Top 10 probably is out of touch for me this time.

This "not a glitch" artificially inflated the point count across the board for those "smart" and powerful enough to profit from it. I don't like this kind of solutions but probably removing this tournament's points from the season standings is the right way to go.
  • It sucks to have a glitch like this. You have to take advantage of it to keep up in the season rankings (although heroic tokens aren't likely to be that useful for people who place highly). I went to 1200 on fights worth +30 and then Kyip started showing up every few skips for +45 or so points. I hit him repeatedly to reach mid 1600's before he disappeared (he had reached 1950 or so points from defensive victories last time I saw him). If I had started an hour or so later I wouldn't have got anywhere near that score and the people who started exploiting it early managed to get hundreds more points. Glad I didn't decide to shield up yesterday because that would have been a complete waste of HP.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    woohoo, first 1100! promptly shielded as some dude niranam had already hit me for 100+ pts during my climb. Never did see kyip, but oh well. Not really worth pushing for more when a 4* will do me no good and Kensterr and Ferrett make winning my bracket impossible. Will be fun to see them duke it out for #1 if they are both going for it.

Also, feel free to hit me if you see me as I'm shielded.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    edited April 2014
    Options
    In a funny turn of events, jozier is again on the lower scoring side of S.H.I.E.L.D

he can't get no rest lol
  • I don't necessarily see a point of continuing the convo as we clearly are taking different approaches here. Not that you are horribly wrong (well, the phrase 100% is) or stupid..its just we have different perspectives here.

I am saying that ppl with 1.3k plus put in time and hp and maybe iso to get where they were. Many casual players may be using this event, even scoring 700 let's say, as one of thier "better tournements" because they only have so much time..or next week they are out of country or..so on. I could make a list of different types of examples where deleting an entire tournement leads to a much larger outrage than a few hundred players being unhappy that they didn't have the time, or level or..whatever..to take advantage of something that lasted 18+ hrs nit required a score threshold. I understand both sides and think a compromise is best. Set a max score to count (1.3-1.5k range), refund hp spent by players above a certain threshold on shields and hp packs, and keep the scores given those constraints.

You guys realize that the forums are a vocal minority in a game where there are 100k+ active players and 17k+ orders right? Now imagine what happens if the devs give no season points....chaos. ohh, they can refund hp right? Well, that sounds like a great idea...just not for the devs. Why would they want to refund stuff? It LOSES THEM MONEY to do so effectively. Remove the scoring without refunding I can imagine even you guys (who I assume are sitting below 1.1k) would be against..right? I just don't see it monetarily, fairness, anyway being the best choice to full stop remove the scoring.

If this was truly a glitch, maybe someone found a way to start matches out with 10 ap of each and everyone abused it then that might be something...but even then I think the cutoff point strategy I mentioned fits better. Negatively affect 98k people to make 2k happy (not even happy..just..not as unhappy) doesn't sound right to me. On top of that, while scores are inflated, they are inflated for most by about 200 pts. That's not exactly crying all the way to the bank imo. The guys getting 1.6k+...i get that. So you make that 1.3k-1.5k cutoff.

Now what do I THINK they will do? Nothing. If they even make a cutoff they really need to do a form of reimbursement to players negatively affected. That loses money, and in the grand scheme of things any outrage from the incident will be quickly washed away. Given that, maybe they should just give 2 heroic tokens (say its a special event or something..ppl will either know what its for or be randomly happy=happier with the game) to anybody below, let's say, 900 points. It's SOMETHING, and is likely a bigger reward than the difference it will make for the personal scoring in the season for those affected. If you didnt score 1.1k+ you probably aren't looking at finishing top 25-50 anyway, so the difference between ranks that it would affect you is only by 1-2 heroic packs.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    I never saw Kyip. Never got to hit him.

That said, I hit people that benefited because there was a 'target rich environment' of players over 1000. I hit 1300 before I came on the board to check the event thread and see what was going on.

My strategy was to grind out 1100 for the torch cover, which would have been a new personal best in the past 90 days.

It was easy. Too easy in retrospect.

So I went to 1300 for bubbles. Still pretty easy because so many high point people out there.

As much as I want to feel badly that you 'cannot exploit the not-a-glitch' you executed a strategy based on the meta game rather than the game itself.

Given that this incident went away 7 hours before the end of the event, let playing the game sort it out. The only real issue becomes that the ending times are unfair based on life, which has always been the case.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sigh, i didn't get to hit the point pinata. I had to earn my 1300 points the old fashioned way.....lots of cursing and gnashing of teeth. icon_cry.gif
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    woohoo, first 1100! promptly shielded as some dude niranam had already hit me for 100+ pts during my climb. Never did see kyip, but oh well. Not really worth pushing for more when a 4* will do me no good and Kensterr and Ferrett make winning my bracket impossible. Will be fun to see them duke it out for #1 if they are both going for it.

Also, feel free to hit me if you see me as I'm shielded.
    'Thunder thighs' kensterr won't be unshielding at all.

As much as I love to have the X-Force Wolverine, it is not worth pushing anymore as from the time I shielded until now I have 'lost' 200 points. I'm happy that I got the Falcon and IW covers, and getting Wolvie will be considered a bonus. icon_e_smile.gif
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanos wrote:
    Sigh, i didn't get to hit the point pinata. I had to earn my 1300 points the old fashioned way.....lots of cursing and gnashing of teeth. icon_cry.gif
    same here.. hit the 1200 pts by clawing and grinding, facing non-stop attacks and a bit of "iphone-throws" against the wall.. never have the luck to fall across this kyip guy.. think i can say farewell to the top spot of season 1.. oh well..
  • Well I totally screwed up the strategy for this tournament. I got to 1100 the hard way before the pinata arrived and I didn't shield so I coughed up over 400 points. Then I didn't play last night so I didn't rocket up the leaderboards and there is no way to catch up.

Good thing I already told myself it wasn't worth the slog to place well in season 1.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    entropic01 wrote:
    Well I totally screwed up the strategy for this tournament. I got to 1100 the hard way before the pinata arrived and I didn't shield so I coughed up over 400 points. Then I didn't play last night so I didn't rocket up the leaderboards and there is no way to catch up.

Good thing I already told myself it wasn't worth the slog to place well in season 1.
    I must confess i feel like i got this pinata up in my **** (no homo)... icon_mrgreen.gif
  • One thing to keep in mind is that forumites are a small % of players and exploits like this might be balanced by all of us using it. I dunno. I'm currently top in my bracket with 1300 and didn't use the shield exploit (intentionally, I may have hit someone but didn't seek out players like Kyip). And my Season bracket seems reasonable with 5K at the top. Nooone seems to have used it to make ungodly gains in the season tourney. Maybe i just got a lucky bracket....
  • This really blows not because it ruins the scores for this tournament, but because it also affects the entire season. Very disappointing.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    entropic01 wrote:
    Well I totally screwed up the strategy for this tournament. I got to 1100 the hard way before the pinata arrived and I didn't shield so I coughed up over 400 points. Then I didn't play last night so I didn't rocket up the leaderboards and there is no way to catch up.

Don't give up - top 5 is still doable in our bracket looking at everyone's scores. Although I still think beezer is going to run away with it. (His score does not include shield sim - probably). I think you can do well just by being consistent over the rest of the season.
  • The glitch is only a tiny fraction of the overall season totals. The glitch lasted maybe 12 hours? The glitch will be obvious in the current pvp since those 12 hours are 1/5 the length of the tourney but the season is 30 days long making the timeframe for the glitch 1/60th the season length.

There will be very few people who will be able to attribute their final season placement on the inflated points from the glitch. And if anyone claims the glitch was to blame for their top 50 placement instead of a top 25 then they are fooling themselves. There will be dozens of other reasons why you were not able to close that 400 point gap - if you would have pushed for 50 more points in every pvp after the glitch then you would make up the points that were grained in the glitch.
  • unintended, unwanted, unwhatever...

I'm pretty stoked to hit 2000 for this event. For a player that's been there and done most of what this game has to offer, the push to 2000 really set my juices flowing. I don't think I'm half as crazy in PvP as some of those other S.H.I.E.L.D loons (you know who you are...), but every now and then I come out of my cave lol.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    unintended, unwanted, unwhatever...

I'm pretty stoked to hit 2000 for this event. For a player that's been there and done most of what this game has to offer, the push to 2000 really set my juices flowing. I don't think I'm half as crazy in PvP as some of those other S.H.I.E.L.D loons (you know who you are...), but every now and then I come out of my cave lol.

bow-down-before-you.gif
  • I check the forums and I read about this glitch. Disappointing for several reasons. I thought my skill was responsible for my first 1300+ score and I was preparing for the success that would follow in the next pvp. icon_e_biggrin.gif I guess it's not happening. Then again, D3 promised Spider-man and C.Mags changes almost 4 months ago so who knows. They may end up fixing this glitch by the end of summer.