Top Gun: Apr 28 - 30 Falcon PVP

Options

Comments

• klingsor wrote:
    This really blows not because it ruins the scores for this tournament, but because it also affects the entire season. Very disappointing.

Don't know about it ruining the season. I am sure we both had a fair share of alliance members who benefited from it and some who didn't. Even now, some of our crazies are still pushing even without kyip so points are still there if you are willing.
  • The glitch is only a tiny fraction of the overall season totals. The glitch lasted maybe 12 hours? The glitch will be obvious in the current pvp since those 12 hours are 1/5 the length of the tourney but the season is 30 days long making the timeframe for the glitch 1/60th the season length.

There will be very few people who will be able to attribute their final season placement on the inflated points from the glitch. And if anyone claims the glitch was to blame for their top 50 placement instead of a top 25 then they are fooling themselves. There will be dozens of other reasons why you were not able to close that 400 point gap - if you would have pushed for 50 more points in every pvp after the glitch then you would make up the points that were grained in the glitch.

Top 25 to top 50 I could see but this clearly has consequences for anyone shooting for the very top. 3 PVPs per week times 4 weeks is approximately 12 tourneys + simulator. A score of 2000 in Ladder's case is almost an extra tourney over a very respectable score of 1000.
  • entropic01 wrote:
    The glitch is only a tiny fraction of the overall season totals. The glitch lasted maybe 12 hours? The glitch will be obvious in the current pvp since those 12 hours are 1/5 the length of the tourney but the season is 30 days long making the timeframe for the glitch 1/60th the season length.

There will be very few people who will be able to attribute their final season placement on the inflated points from the glitch. And if anyone claims the glitch was to blame for their top 50 placement instead of a top 25 then they are fooling themselves. There will be dozens of other reasons why you were not able to close that 400 point gap - if you would have pushed for 50 more points in every pvp after the glitch then you would make up the points that were grained in the glitch.

Top 25 to top 50 I could see but this clearly has consequences for anyone shooting for the very top. 3 PVPs per week times 4 weeks is approximately 12 tourneys + simulator. A score of 2000 in Ladder's case is almost an extra tourney over a very respectable score of 1000.

It'll come out in the wash in the end. The people that benefited most from the glitch tend to be people that score the highest in PVP tourneys anyway. Take a look at the top of the SHIELD alliance leaderboard for instance. A bunch of them broke 1500-1600 in the Doom PVP. And that's WITHOUT a glitchy shield helping people. Nobody was going to touch their scores whether or not there was an easy person to knock on for awhile.
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't think it'll have the major earth shattering season effect some people are claiming. Yes the points are inflated but they're inflated across the board.

The way I see it, people who were going to score a lot scored a lot. The top 10 in this tournament looks about the same as it always looks. This point inflation is about equivalent of less than an extra tournament, over a span of a month!

Let say random shield member was going to score 1300 or 1400 and you were going to score 800. Along comes kyip. Suddenly they're at 16 or 17th but you're probably at 1000. Not necessarily bc you hit kyip but because the points trickle down. The difference is still roughly the same and the teams and players that were going to win or place highly still will bc they play the most and have better teams
  • Narkon wrote:
    I check the forums and I read about this glitch. Disappointing for several reasons. I thought my skill was responsible for my first 1300+ score and I was preparing for the success that would follow in the next pvp. icon_e_biggrin.gif I guess it's not happening. Then again, D3 promised Spider-man and C.Mags changes almost 4 months ago so who knows. They may end up fixing this glitch by the end of summer.

There's still skill in hitting such scores. I'm not denying that the inflated scores are hugely down to the kyip exploit, but there's still a lot of skill and immense heart needed to push when you are at scores in the 1000s.
  • jozier wrote:

It'll come out in the wash in the end. The people that benefited most from the glitch tend to be people that score the highest in PVP tourneys anyway. Take a look at the top of the SHIELD alliance leaderboard for instance. A bunch of them broke 1500-1600 in the Doom PVP. And that's WITHOUT a glitchy shield helping people. Nobody was going to touch their scores whether or not there was an easy person to knock on for awhile.

I disagree. It hurts people who don't shield out early. I rarely shield early but can make last minute pushes to 1100-1200 and shield if I want typically. This is usually fairly in-line with most people at the top. There is no way in hell, I can get up to the 1800s right now.
  • I'd be willing to argue that it is a major difference, but given the rewards for your season score, I couldn't care less. We're talking a difference of, in the personal bracket, maybe 10 or 20 heroic recruit tokens, which will ultimately get you nothing new if you're scoring that high (MAYBE one token of a new hero, but probably not) - and in the alliance bracket, a difference of hero coins, which would have been spent by higher ranking players anyway via shield hopping. Ultimately makes no difference unless you get lucky and pull something you really want with a heroic.

I got a green HT yesterday from a standard, so there is definitely some luck to be had.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I admit to exploiting the kyip phenomenon happily, but that's because I'm poor and cannot afford shielding every event
    also lazy and cannot afford pushing for my alliance every event
    so this was an opportunity to kill 2 hares

at least to maim those hares

for players like me, this allows to slack more in the future, not push through the roof (Bee is in my Season 1 bracket so you can tell how this one is gonna end)
  • entropic01 wrote:
    The glitch is only a tiny fraction of the overall season totals. The glitch lasted maybe 12 hours? The glitch will be obvious in the current pvp since those 12 hours are 1/5 the length of the tourney but the season is 30 days long making the timeframe for the glitch 1/60th the season length.

True - the Top 3 will be more competitive. But players fighting for the top 3 could not have gotten there from this one tournament glitch - they needed to get top scores in every tourney. Also, players in the top 3 will also be using the last few tournaments to push for position - making this glitch even more of a wash. If this glitch had occurred during one of the last few pvps, I could see it being a bit more of an issue.

And The Ladder's 2000 score is crazy. Impressive but absolutely crazy.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes, I just reached 1100 award!
    and I spent (wasted?) a 3h shield because it's the first time I score so high so I want to protect my points.
    ... In fact I think it's the first time I come above 800! icon_redface.gif

Thanks all, reading about your progress kept me motivated!
  • entropic01 wrote:
    jozier wrote:

I disagree. It hurts people who don't shield out early. I rarely shield early but can make last minute pushes to 1100-1200 and shield if I want typically. This is usually fairly in-line with most people at the top. There is no way in hell, I can get up to the 1800s right now.

You can ask my alliance, I almost never shield out early but I did in this one. Sometimes you have to play by the rules everyone else does. Regardless of kyip being around, in a very aggressive PVP pool a shield is necessary for top scores. Finishing at 1100-1200 would still put you 400-600 points behind the top scorers in SHIELD in your average PVP. The only difference is now you'll be 600-700 behind them. It's a difference of an extra 100-200 points in one tournament over the course of a 25 day season bracket. In the long run it won't have much of an effect.
  • Thanos wrote:
    Sigh, i didn't get to hit the point pinata. I had to earn my 1300 points the old fashioned way.....lots of cursing and gnashing of teeth. icon_cry.gif

Same here, had I known about that guy knyt I would have looked for him and get a lot more points, I'm still happy with my 1.3k though.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have to disagree with you Joz in that 100-200 points might not make that much of a difference!
    However........ because of the increase in points, there is no way that just the top is getting extra points, but the points are clearly filtering down and everyone is getting scores higher than they would normally get so it probably balances out all in all. There are more points in circulation so the whole community is benefitting. Everyone is now getting higher progressions than they normally would... but people will always complain. It's human nature.

People complain about everything.
    I've seen people complain about the fact that they could get a game for discount.
    People even complain when they get stuff for free... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If everyone is so comfortable that it will be a wash in the long run then i don't see why just removing it just from the season standing would be such a big deal? Everyone would keep their IW and falcon that should be enough reward for a bug right?
  • I didn't take advantage of the point inflation. The only benefit I saw was that it made it easier to hit my usual goal of 1300 for this tourney. Granted, I missed out on the fun of climbing with my alliance mates, but I also will be leaving this tourney HP neutral. Actually, 25HP in the black.

As far as the season is concerned, the gap in rewards simply doesn't warrant the outcry around this one tourney's scores. An extra 10-pack won't help anyone maintain a long term edge in this game as much as say, 500HP per PvP tourney, no? Outside of e-chest thumping, the season rewards are simply not a game changer at all. For most people, it will be an additional 2500 ISO worth of vendor trash. So yes, people who spent waaaay more in shields to hit the pinata will have one 3* at 141 while yours is stuck at 140. Hardly worth a revolt.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    A couple hours ago I was playing and I saw this guy kyip or something. I was at 750 or so and he was like 1700+. At first I was like huh? He had a 100+ LT and 85 OBW. So yeah of course I took him on. Good for 50 points. How strange that now I see his name on these threads. I was shaking my head wondering how he got that high in score.
  • i knew about the glitch but didnt take advantage bc i unplugged last night after i started to feel burned out by the number of events. i pushdd to 1100 this morning ghanks to so many high level targets and ended up throwing a 3 hiur shield after i hit the 1100 prog reward. thats usually what i do every tournament, so no regrets.

im not that worried or concerned about playets taking advantage of the glitch and how it will effect season 1. more power to the players who were able to advance.

marc
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I still have kyip in one of my nodes. Showing 46 points worth and a 1944 score - but this is 8 hours old.
  • got beat so many times over night i just thought why dont i just use simulator to try to rank to win falcon covers. He's buffed at high levels anyway and pairing him up to inspire characters is fine where he is. I mean, he can just you know, inspire my soon to be buffed up captain america once i can win the red cover and finally level him a bit, he's been stuck at 6 since forever!!!! He'll only be up to like level 8 at 48 in the sim but whatever at least he wont be stuck with one move.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    The Falcon pvp points fest did not have much of an impact on my season bracket. Sure I dropped a few places, but no one has some absurd score due to this glitch.

I do however hope that they fix the glitch.

"So um Falcon point totals have been wrecked, but not everyone was told. Through some glitch in the points department everyone was scoring highly."

"So we went ahead and fixed the glitch"

"Great."
    "So, um Falcon points have been reset?"

"Well just a second there professor. We, uh fixed the *glitch*. So the points fest is over, so it will work itself out naturally."